Barbara Bush On "Underprivileged" Flocking To TX

Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:55 pm

"As long as they don't come to Kennebunkport (clutching pearl necklace)..."

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/ea...play.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001054719

kingsford

RE: Barbara Bush On "Underprivileged" Flocking To TX

Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:07 pm

boggled   crazy   laughing   sarcastic   sigh   worried 

... words here would be unnecessary ... she's got it all figured out, hasn't she ?

satx

RE: Barbara Bush On "Underprivileged" Flocking To

Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:19 pm

So this what is meant by Don't mess with Texas?

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/shows/2005/09/05/PM200509051.html

Barbara Bush must have a weird way of looking at life to imply that these folks are so much better off after the hurricane. I can't yet agree with those who claim that the Bush family doesn't care about this or that specific race. However, I might have to concur that they don't seem to be able to relate to poor people very well, regardless of color. If you can't even relate to people, how can you truly help them? I get the feeling that the Bush family has been insulated from these sorts of issues for so long that they just don't have a clue what it's really like.

I'll never forget the clip of George Bush Jr. stroking the egos of his top fundraisers by calling them the 'haves and have mores' followed by his denunciation of those who call them 'the elite' when they are merely his 'base'.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

ltbewr

Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:43 pm

Such comments show the Bush's lack of grip of reality or many Americans. I would say that many of poorest from the city of New Orleans and throughout the worst affected areas my be somewhat better off - but only for a short amount of time and at a tremendous cost.
Many lost relatives to the storm, flooding, lack of medical care, inability to rescue them in time or not getting them out in timely fashion. For now, they are being fed decent food by others, instead of junk food or cheap food they usually live on due to their limited incomes, lack of supermarkets in their original home areas and limited food preparation skills. The children may for a short time be in better schools but they may be put into the worst schools in their respective relocation areas, and in overcrowed classrooms. In their home areas, there won't be any schools for a year im the worst hit areas. Some have escaped high crime rates in their home areas, but some had to face unspeakable criminality in places like the Superdome and the Convention Center areas in N.O. and throughout the region. Some may be in an air conditioned place with a solid roof over the, instead unsafe and broken down homes without unaffordable air conditioning, but they have no privacy, no security for their stuff and a feeling they really aren't wanted 'there'. Then there are those whom lived in the jail like, very dangerous public housing, so for now are better off, but they may still end up in other bad public housing, or bad neighborhoods due their race, lack of money and limited available affordable housing. Most of them, they have lost jobs forever, the majority have no marketable skills.
So yes, they 'may be better off' but at a high cost, and only for a short time.

johnboy

Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:52 pm

"...I can't say it, but it rhymes with rich."

Oh we can say it Babs....we can say it!

dvk

Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:51 pm

"Ma Barker with Pearls" Barbara must have borrowed George H.W.'s silver foot and stuck it in her own mouth...
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

Logan22L

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:09 pm

Quoting SATX (Reply 2):
Barbara Bush must have a weird way of looking at life to imply that these folks are so much better off after the hurricane

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 3):
So yes, they 'may be better off' but at a high cost,

Far be it for me to back the Bush family, but to be fair, she said that the situation was "working well for them," not that they are better off. Perhaps not the most careful selection of words, but I suspect that the hospitality and generosity of Texans and the world is doing them some good.

If you're going to bash someone, bash them on what they say, not what you hear.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

SlamClick

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:10 pm

"working very well for them"

Well, they are alive. They will have food, water and toilets. They are not standing up to their lower lip in swampwater with corpses floating in it. Yeah, I'd say it is working very well for the moment. No one ever suggested that this was the final solution. (Sorry about the "final solution" phrase, I know it has more sinister meaning.)

Many of you know that I have been very critical of the administration's performance in this disaster but I'd really like to slap the crap out of someone who complains about the MREs or the cot in the Astrodome. You are alive damn it. Have a little perspective.

Barbara Bush is not a public figure. She is just a housewife. She has lived in affluence and privilege most of her life through no fault of her own. It is childish and surly to expect her to be an orator. If Ted Kennedy can oppose the windmill farm in a windy part of the world because it would spoil his view, she should be entitiled to hope her neighborhood doesn't fill up with poor people. Most human beings feel that way.

Cut her some slack.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

cfalk

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:21 pm

You do need to think about the impact of a few hundred thousand people (mostly poor) suddenly deciding to move into your city. How will that affect the jobs market in the area? How about crime? How about lodging? What if, with the sudden added demand for tens of thousands of low-cost apartments, the price of these appartments suddenly skyrises? How will that affect low-income people who already live there, who suddenly see their rents rising and salaries falling, due to the heavy competition from the new arrivals?

You guys need to think about things a bit more deeper than the simple emotional response of having to help people out. Providing them refuge and help in time of need is one thing, but welcoming a huge number of people permenantly into a city has consequences that must be considered.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

AeroWesty

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:34 pm

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 6):
If you're going to bash someone, bash them on what they say, not what you hear.

Right you are:

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this--this (she chuckles slightly) is working very well for them."

Clueless of the Year Award to Barbara Bush.
International Homo of Mystery

Mikey711MN

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:37 pm

Quoting SATX (Reply 2):
I'll never forget the clip of George Bush Jr. stroking the egos of his top fundraisers by calling them the 'haves and have mores' followed by his denunciation of those who call them 'the elite' when they are merely his 'base'.

Please consider the context of those comments--which are often presented without--before attempting to apply them here. He was making those comments at the yearly media gala event where presidents typically make their entire speech to self-criticize and/or present themselves how others want them to be presented. Having said that, while it may be a case of poor judgment on his part and that he might certainly look at himself and his base that way, the public presentation of those comments were for comic effect, not social pandering.

There's plenty of stuff that W should make you mad over, but failing in his attempts at self-depreciating humor is not one of them.

-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

halls120

Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:51 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 3):
Many lost relatives to the storm, flooding, lack of medical care, inability to rescue them in time or not getting them out in timely fashion.

I know this is going to sound callous, but they had more than enough time to get out before the flood walls failed.

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 7):
If Ted Kennedy can oppose the windmill farm in a windy part of the world because it would spoil his view, she should be entitiled to hope her neighborhood doesn't fill up with poor people. Most human beings feel that way.

checkmark 

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 8):
You do need to think about the impact of a few hundred thousand people (mostly poor) suddenly deciding to move into your city. How will that affect the jobs market in the area? How about crime? How about lodging? What if, with the sudden added demand for tens of thousands of low-cost apartments, the price of these appartments suddenly skyrises? How will that affect low-income people who already live there, who suddenly see their rents rising and salaries falling, due to the heavy competition from the new arrivals?

People in Baton Rouge are already feeling the effects, and they aren't happy. According to the Washington Post, longtime residents of that city are very apprehensive about the effects on their homes - such as the increased sounds of gunfire at night.....
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

satx

Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:21 am

Quoting Mikey711MN (Reply 10):
He was making those comments at the yearly media gala event where presidents typically make their entire speech to self-criticize and/or present themselves how others want them to be presented.

I thought he made those comments at the Alfred E. Smith Memorial Dinner in October of 2000, a fundraising event for Catholic charities hosted by Archbishop Edward Egan. Bush's comments did not appear to be an out-right gag to my eyes. Rather, it appeared to be a joke specifically tailored to amuse the $800-a-plate crowd that was assembled before him. The event you're apparently referring to was probably the 60th annual dinner of the Radio and Television Correspondents' Association in March of 2004, where Bush ruffled some feathers by presenting a series of prepared jokes about our fruitless search for WMD's in Iraq.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 11):
I know this is going to sound callous

100% Correct.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:29 am

"working well for them,"

they are alive. They will have food, water and toilets. They are not standing up to their lower lip in swampwater with corpses floating in it

-
just to have survived in my view is NOT "working well", but only "working acceptibly". And there now are so many newcomers in Houston, of whom quite many would love to stay. But can Houston really generate so many jobs virtually overnight ? and will they really feel at home there in the longer term ?

AeroWesty

Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:33 am

People in Baton Rouge are already feeling the effects, and they aren't happy.

I forget whether it was on CNN or MSNBC I heard this this morning, but I understand the relief workers are finding it hard to get enough people in the Astrodome, etc. to move into the Carnival cruise ships that will be arriving in Galveston shortly. There's room for 4,000!

I completely understand that some might be adverse to going there due to the limited availability to get on with their lives, but they've got to make room for others while this whole situation is sorted out.

Logan22L

Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:34 am

If Ted Kennedy can oppose the windmill farm in a windy part of the world because it would spoil his view

Actually, the wind farm would likely not even be in view from Hyannisport:

http://www.capewind.org/article2.htm

Kennedy is doing what his constituents want, not necessarily what does or does not even benefit him. I do not agree with opposition to the wind farm, but many Cape Codders do. Kennedy is merely speaking for his people. Isn't that what a politician is supposed to do?
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

DLKAPA

Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:35 am

He's his mothers son Big grin
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

slider

Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:03 am

I think you guys are off base a bit on this...

I believe her comments to be largely harmless and should be taken in the spirit in which they were made--that Texas is a land of great opportunity. And for many of those people, there may not be a better place to start anew. We have a vibrant economy, diverse and talented population and workforce, affordable cost of living, and can readily absorb new entrants.

The great Republic of Texas itself was forged out of conflict and done so by people who were castoffs themselves....refugees if you will. Sam Houston rebuilt his life here. In a mythic sort of way, it's only natural that the hurricane refugees remain in TX if they choose to.

Throughout its history, TX has been that unique place to take people in. I think that was the spirit Barbara Bush was speaking from.

SlamClick

Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:12 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 13):
just to have survived in my view is NOT "working well", but only "working acceptibly".

Well then it appears to me that you have lived a pretty sheltered life. If your life had ever been seriously endangered I would expect you to appreciate when the immediate threat goes away.

We are only a week into the recovery for hell's sake! Like I said, get some perspective. Not even the "richest nation on earth" keeps a whole new city in a warehouse somewhere.

halls120

Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:18 am

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 15):
Kennedy is doing what his constituents want, not necessarily what does or does not even benefit him. I do not agree with opposition to the wind farm, but many Cape Codders do. Kennedy is merely speaking for his people. Isn't that what a politician is supposed to do?

Last time I checked, Kennedy represented the entire State, not just the rich folks of Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard.

But after all, their precious view is more important that clean energy, right?

Quoting SATX (Reply 12):
I know this is going to sound callous

100% Correct.

Well, I stand by my statement regardless. Only a fool who has the means to escape an oncoming calamity sticks around to see if he can make it.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

stlgph

Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:28 am

Barbara Bush is not a public figure. She is just a housewife.

she was first lady of the U.S.

she is a public figure.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

oldeuropean

Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:57 am

What do you expect from this family? They were rich for generations. Wasn`t the grandfather of GWB the one, who made good business with the Nazis.

Axel

[Edited 2005-09-06 22:00:03]
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:24 am

We're taking about Americans in America. Same country, same nationality, same government. What is this nonsense about "new arrivals" ???? The people of N.O. have no less right to live in Houston than the people of Dallas do, or someone moving from New York. Maybe it's really down to race again -a few in good ol' boys in TX have noticed that there are more than a few "darker" faces headed there way. It's a time for solidarity in America not bullshit.

As for Barbara Bush's comments .... all I can say is that tact isn't a Bush family strong point.

my  twocents 
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

SlamClick

Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:40 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 20):

she is a public figure.

Only in that you know her name. She has no official capacity (unlike Hillary's "We are the President of the United States") But insofar as "the public" recognizes her I'll give you that incredibly weak point.

She still has no duty to you or me or anyone else. I doubt that she called the press' attention to herself. The whole story sounded to me like a nervous old lady had a mike stuck in her face and she was uncomfortable.

I think I understand now why the left was so adamant about removing the ten commandments from public buildings - they came from a bush.

This simple-minded faultfinding with anyone named Bush is getting tedious. If you have a beef with the present President, okay, but this is really lame - bashing grandma Bush. Aren't you guys embarassed?

satx

Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:54 am

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 22):
It's a time for solidarity in America not bullshit.

checkmark 

all I can say is that tact isn't a Bush family strong point.

checkmark 

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 23):
Only in that you know her name.

redflag  I have to call bullshit on this... that's a total copout on your part SlamClick.

Just because most Americans are naive and clueless about politics does NOT mean that a former first lady should be considered a private citizen in this instance. If she were just another citizen like the rest of us then nobody in the media would give a damn what she had to say.

stlgph

Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:58 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 23):
If you have a beef with the present President, okay, but this is really lame - bashing grandma Bush. Aren't you guys embarassed?

absolutely not. all's fair in love and war.

FlyingTexan

Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:03 am

To quote the former First Lady:

"Almost everyone I’ve talked to says we're going to move to Houston."

Well, I would too! Everything given to you, little to go back to in NOLA.

Quoting SATX (Reply 2):
George Bush Jr.

Just a technical correction: the current President is not Jr. He is George Walker Bush. His father, George Herbert Walker Bush. Use #41 or #43, anything but junior or senior. Very early on in his campaign, my company was instructed not to use Jr.

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 8):
How will that affect the jobs market in the area?

I’ve heard outrageous estimates; unemployment as high as 25%

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 8):
How about crime?

A few items I’ve witnessed and heard heard from those who conduct business in the Dome area, a Houston Police Officer, and a local shopkeeper:

• Widespread, rampant shoplifting at stores in the Astrodome area
  • Seven auto thefts from one parking lot in the Dome area Friday alone
  • Physical assaults of pedestrians in broad daylight
  • Vagrancy up big-time

It’s tragic *a few bad apples* ruin it.

Houston has become her brother’s keeper. This is going to put a big time strain on the local social services. Realize these are largely takers of society ~ not givers.

But – for humanity’s sake – I can’t help but feel for these people.

Don’t mess with Texas and don’t mess with Mother Nature.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

satx

Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:11 am

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 26):
Don’t mess with Texas and don’t mess with Mother Nature.

Ahhh... but how do you prevent Texas from messing with Mother Nature unless you mess with Texas?  Big grin

johnboy

Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:18 am

I believe it absolutely is pertinent, in that it speaks of an imperious, haughty family, the molding of the current president and how the Bushes relate to people in general.

So, no, she's not an elected official, but she DOES sound like quite the royal bitch.

And character counts, right?

PS And God bless Bush, Sr. -- if he was having affairs in and out of the White House as is rumored, more power to him.

cfalk

Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:34 am

Quoting Johnboy (Reply 28):
I believe it absolutely is pertinent, in that it speaks of an imperious, haughty family, the molding of the current president and how the Bushes relate to people in general.

As for Barbara Bush's comments .... all I can say is that tact isn't a Bush family strong point.

Quoting Oldeuropean (Reply 21):
What do you expect from this family? They were rich for generations. Wasn`t the grandfather of GWB the one, who made good business with the Nazis.

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 16):
He's his mothers son

and others...

I hear you bashing up the old lady with insults for having dared being un-PC, but very few of you are willing to address the issues that she raised, like the ones I listed in Reply 8.

The fact that she raises the issue and you can only laugh at her and call her names while not recognizing the question just proves that this little old lady is a lot sharper than you.

Charles

AeroWesty

Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:41 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 29):
very few of you are willing to address the issues that she raised, like the ones I listed in Reply 8.

I read them, but felt how you proposed your questions showed a misunderstanding of how things work.

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 8):
How will that affect low-income people who already live there, who suddenly see their rents rising and salaries falling, due to the heavy competition from the new arrivals?

Take this one, for example. If you are indeed classified as "low-income", you will pay rent as a percentage of your income or benefits received. Rent goes up? Zero effect. Salaries falling? If you're legally defined as "low-income", you're most likely earning at least minimum wage or a defined benefit. Possibility of earning less? Possibly a little for those on the higher end of the scale. On a defined benefit? Zero effect.

satx

Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:52 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 29):
I hear you bashing up the old lady with insults for having dared being un-PC

So far it looks more like a Freudian slip of the tongue that may have given us a rare un-doctored glimpse into the mind of a close relative of our current leader. I suppose I could be way off, but that's what my gut's currently telling me.

MaverickM11

Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:59 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 20):

WAS

Honestly, what is the issue here? This thread is pure desperation. Of COURSE they're better off in Texas. Even if there was no hurricane and they all moved to Texas they'd still be better off leaving a den of poverty, crime, and corruption.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Klaus

Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:06 am

The issue is not something being "un-PC". The issue is the open contempt for people Barbara Bush obviously considers below her own station.

And as much as it fits the Bush mindset we all know, it's still pathetic!  gnasher 

stlgph

Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:12 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 32):
WAS

yes. she was first lady of the United States. hence, she is a public figure.

AeroWesty

Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:19 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 34):
she is a public figure

Correct. Barbara Bush is "pervasively involved in public affairs", which is one of the legal definitions to determine libel and defamation. Public affairs can and does include frequent media appearances on political matters, or concerning issues at the forefront of attention of the nation.

cfalk

Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:21 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 30):
Take this one, for example. If you are indeed classified as "low-income", you will pay rent as a percentage of your income or benefits received.

I suppose you are talking about rent-control or subsidized housing, right? I am talking about normal working joes who work at the corner auto parts store, who pays listed rates for differnt appartments, set by the supply and demand of the market. I expect that covers 95% or more of the working population.

Rent goes up? Zero effect.

Let's say your assumption about their paying rent as a percentage of their income. If a guy made $2000 per month and paid 20% rent, he has $1600 in disposable income (less taxes). But if he makes only $1800 per month, paying 20% leaves him with $1440. He loses. And by the way, who pays the apartment owner for the lost income? (That is not a rhetorical question - I don't know)

Salaries falling? If you're legally defined as "low-income", you're most likely earning at least minimum wage or a defined benefit.

I was not talking about any legal definition of "low income". I was talking about any person who works in a blue-collar, unskilled or semi-skilled job. While minimum wage might be a fairly solid floor, most people are paid more than that, due to supply and demand. If the supply of such labor increases without a corresponding increase in demand, wages MUST inevitably decline.

Quoting SATX (Reply 31):
I suppose I could be way off, but that's what my gut's currently telling me.

I suggest thinking with your brain rather than your gut.

Charles

MaverickM11

Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:23 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 33):
The issue is the open contempt for people Barbara Bush obviously considers below her own station.

What contempt????

"NEW YORK Accompanying her husband, former President George
H.W.Bush, on a tour of hurricane relief centers in
Houston, Barbara Bush said today, referring to the
poor who had lost everything back home and evacuated, "This is working very well for them."

The former First Lady's remarks were aired this
evening on American Public Media's "Marketplace"
program.

She was part of a group in Houston today at the
Astrodome that included her husband and former
President Bill Clinton, who were chosen by her son,
the current president, to head fundraising efforts for
the recovery. Sen. Hilary Clinton and Sen. Barack
Obama were also present.

In a segment at the top of the show on the surge of
evacuees to the Texas city, Barbara Bush said: "Almost
everyone I’ve talked to says we're going to move to
Houston."

Then she added: "What I’m hearing which is sort of
scary is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is
so overwhelmed by the hospitality.

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you
know, were underprivileged anyway, so this--this (she
chuckles slightly) is working very well for them."
"

Are you reading from a different article because you and everyone else have made up everything you've said.

[Edited 2005-09-07 00:26:38]
E pur si muove -Galileo

stlgph

Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:30 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 35):
Correct. Barbara Bush is "pervasively involved in public affairs", which is one of the legal definitions to determine libel and defamation. Public affairs can and does include frequent media appearances on political matters, or concerning issues at the forefront of attention of the nation.

ding!

AeroWesty

Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:31 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 36):

Let's say your assumption about their paying rent as a percentage of their income. If a guy made $2000 per month and paid 20% rent, he has $1600 in disposable income (less taxes). But if he makes only $1800 per month, paying 20% leaves him with $1440. He loses. And by the way, who pays the apartment owner for the lost income? (That is not a rhetorical question - I don't know)

OK, let's just take this one example. If you're making $2000 per month, you won't be considered "low-income" (unless you've got a LOT of kids), and ineligible for state benefits other than the multitude of credits that will give you a tax refund even if you claim 9 dependents on your W-4.

If the worker was eligible for housing assistance, the amount of the rent the landlord receives if the worker makes $500/mo, $1000/mo, $1500/mo, or $2000/mo wouldn't change. The worker would be eligible for an abode to accommodate his family size (in what's usually called "Section 8 Housing") for a percentage of his earnings (30% in Oregon), and the rest would be covered by the state.

cfalk

Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:37 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 39):
The worker would be eligible for an abode to accommodate his family size (in what's usually called "Section 8 Housing") for a percentage of his earnings (30% in Oregon), and the rest would be covered by the state.

Well that's a market perversion right their. But that's beside the point.

My point is that if a person is making anything more than minimum wage, he will certainly lose.

Charles

AeroWesty

Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:42 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 40):
My point is that if a person is making anything more than minimum wage, he will certainly lose.

And as I said in an earlier post, I agree somewhat. Those at the higher end of the "low-income" category stand to possibly lose a bit. However, the Houston area is growing already at a rate of 100,000 per year before taking in evacuees, and any loss will most likely be slight and not long-lasting.

ANCFlyer

Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:50 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 19):
Only a fool who has the means to escape an oncoming calamity sticks around to see if he can make it.

checkmark 

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 37):
Are you reading from a different article because you and everyone else have made up everything you've said.

Nope, but there is sure a propensity to post half assed quotes and out of context article extractions so one can twist anything in any direction . . . it's an amazing talent the Bush Bash Club has on A-Net.

Barbara Bush said today, referring to the
poor who had lost everything back home and evacuated, "This is working very well for them."

Meaning of course they are no longer sitting on a roof awaiting rescue or sweating it out on top of I-10 or in the squalor of the Superdome or NO Convention Center.

Any other interpretation to accelerate what ever bizarre left wing agenda is sure and truly  redflag  redflag 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

satx

Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:00 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 36):
I suggest thinking with your brain rather than your gut.

Some people are just way too immature to let such comments go without trying to get in yet another pointless jab. Nothing says "I have no answer to your post" more than an unprovoked childish taunt.

B744F

Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:19 am

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you
know, were underprivileged anyway, so this--this (she
chuckles slightly) is working very well for them."

That comment is totally unnecessary and horribly insulting.

sw733

Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:31 am

Wow...I am in awe of this. And not a good awe either. The fact that she chuckled during this...how humiliating and, I agree, terribly insulting for those who lost EVERYTHING...and coming from a family who could lose a house and barely notice it. It disgusts me honestly. On a personal level, this whole family makes me sick.

SlamClick

Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:49 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 35):
Barbara Bush is "pervasively involved in public affairs", which is one of the legal definitions to determine libel and defamation.

Is: Third person singular present indicative of be. Now I know a lot of Democrats had trouble with this one: "Depends on what your definition of is is." but "present" tense means now - this year at least.

Pervasive: spread throughout; [From Latin pervsus, past participle of pervdere, to pervade; see pervade.] Pervade: To be present throughout; permeate.

Involved: Connected by participation or association

Are you guys sure it is Barbara Bush you are talking about here. What public policy is she the author of? In what governmental entities does she loom large as, say J. Edgar late of the FBI? I think most of us just think of her as a matronly old woman who had about as much to do with Bush1's adminstation as, say, his favorite necktie. I'd guess she has even less impact on the current administration. I mean, I like my mom and all, but I did not, as an adult take very much guidance from her.

So when you insist that she is a public figure, are you asserting that she would have had as much camera time and had microphones shoved in her face if her husband had been, say a hardware salesman?

Anyway, what glory is there in dogging the Prez' mom? I don't even hear as much bad stuff said about Bin Laden's mom. Frankly this whole thread is unworthy.

And please note that I recently started the thread "Mr. President please just go away. so just save your "neocon" crap for someone who might actually be one.

If you still think she is a public figure, as opposed to being just another face in the photo, by all means, continue.

jrw261

Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:02 am

Im sure it had nothing todo with the 50 other people behind the camera... give her a break. She was there on her own free will.. it was an impromptu speech and she doesn't HAVE to do anything.. .its not like bush is up for reelection. You people just love to tear everything everyone says apart and make it all out to be bad.

Did you actually see the news conference... someone behind her was clearly gesturing her and you could tell she was having trouble finding the right words to say.... so give her a break.. at least on this subject.

AeroWesty

Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:02 pm

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 46):
Are you guys sure it is Barbara Bush you are talking about here.

OK, I'll play. Here's the difference as I see it.

If you go out making appearances and speeches on behalf of political candidates, you're a public figure. If you continue in your role of a public figure, by making political commentary, such as Barbara Bush does over and over again, and I saw her do on Larry King Live Monday night, then she puts her hat in play.

It is only when your involvement in public affairs or issues before the country is INVOLUNTARY, such as the result of a subpoena, that you remain a private citizen.

Barbara Bush, like her or hate her, is still a public figure because she has decided both on her own and in conjunction with others, to speak a political voice.

I could make this argument for or against anyone. It's just simple basic legal definitions, nothing about the woman some have come to describe as a homely grandmother more given to baking pecan pies for the evacuees.

Mir

Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:32 pm

Far be it for me to back the Bush family, but to be fair, she said that the situation was "working well for them," not that they are better off.

I would agree with you, were it not for the words "And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway." I don't know about you, but I can't help but translate that to mean "well, they had their entire lives uprooted and have no place to go but to overcrowded shelters, but their lives weren't very good before anyway, so they can't really complain."

I can't support saying that kind of thing. It's outright disgusting.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day