Superfly
Topic Author

Time To Get The Gov't Off Trent Lott's Back

Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:41 am

http://www.boston.com/news/weather/a...uscle_may_get_1st_shot_at_funding/

A triumvirate of Republican power brokers may give Mississippi first dibs in the post-Hurricane Katrina grab for federal disaster funds even though the US government focused its initial response on New Orleans.

=======================================================

Now isn't this some b/s?
Trent Lott, one of the biggest advocates of small government gets first of the goodies from the feds. This emergency money is not given out on a need basis but on a political influence. This is insult to injury and is wrong!
I know Trent Lott lost his house and all but why can't Trent rely soley on the private sector and funds that he put aside?

[Edited 2005-09-07 21:49:59]
Bring back the Concorde

AeroWesty

RE: Time To Get The Gov't Off Trent Lott's Back

Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:58 am

I could post something about recalling how Trent Lott lost his position as senate majority leader for making segregationist comments at Strom Thurmond's 100th birthday party, but that'd just be  stirthepot 
International Homo of Mystery

dl021

Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:01 am

If you'd seen the coastline of the state of MS you'd understand that the need there is as dire for rebuilding as in LA....

it's gone, dude. Half of the buildings in several cities along the coasts are either damaged heavily or plain gone.

They need the money as much as anyone else in this disaster.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:02 am

So he was asked to step down from that role in the Senate. Guess what?
He is still a Senator and has lots of power and influence in the Senate.
Bring back the Concorde

zippyjet

Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:04 am

Not to worry! Trent Lott will still have that bad hair but we the suckers , the taxpayers will pay for his new and improved digs. Bush already wants to sit on Lott's porch swing. Amazing, be careful what you wish for because you just may get it. Bush getting re-elected that is.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:10 am

DOI21:
We all know how bad Mississippi was hit by Katrina.
Can you please explain to us why Trent Lott gets priority over Louisiana and Alabama?
Bring back the Concorde

AeroWesty

Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:14 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 3):
So he was asked to step down from that role in the Senate. Guess what?
He is still a Senator and has lots of power and influence in the Senate.

Yup, my point exactly. And now (supposedly) receiving preferential treatment for his state. Don't you find it odd that after all the calls about racial influences in this disaster, Trent Lott of all people, is at the front of the federal trough?

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:17 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 6):
Yup, my point exactly. And now (supposedly) receiving preferential treatment for his state. Don't you find it odd that after all the calls about racial influences in this disaster, Trent Lott of all people, is at the front of the federal trough?

It's him & Bush's way of saying the Colored folks will have to sit in the back of the bus and wait for what funds are left to 'trickle-down' to them.

Bring back the Concorde

jaysit

Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:19 am

But oh dear, what happened to the small government, the help yourself ethic, and "government is the problem" clap trap?

Why, oh why, does Trent Lott (and all his voters) live near a hurricane prone shoreline?

Let's just do away with government, cut taxes, and let people just help themselves. The extra $ 500 a year the average tax payer would get would surely help him get back on his feet. And the big bucks Trent gets should surely let him help himself.

So why are Trent Lott et al now begging at the big liberal govt trough? The big dildo should be able to help himself, shouldn't he?
Atheism is Myth Understood.

AeroWesty

Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:21 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 8):
The big dildo should be able to help himself, shouldn't he?

But don't you realize how expensive it is to maintain "big hair"?  Wink

dl021

Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:28 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 5):
Can you please explain to us why Trent Lott gets priority over Louisiana and Alabama?

I don't know that he'll get any kind of priority, as I'm certain that the report is based on reports...not actualities. He's duty bound as a Senator from that state to represent them and seek out assistance for them. Do you think he shouldn't?

Quoting Superfly (Reply 7):
It's him & Bush's way of saying the Colored folks will have to sit in the back of the bus and wait for what funds are left to 'trickle-down' to them.

That cartoon by Luckovich is despicable. He has zero good reason to make that insinuation, and I am not surprised that a McKinney supporter is so quick to help stir that pot. It's BS.

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:40 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 10):
He's duty bound as a Senator from that state to represent them and seek out assistance for them. Do you think he shouldn't?

Hmmm when Democratic Senators do it, it's called pork-barrel spending or government waste.

That cartoon by Luckovich is despicable

The way our own government treated it's own people in New Orleans is despicable. Hurrican Katrina was just a reminder that Blacks are still 2nd. class citizens.
Bring back the Concorde

zippyjet

Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:43 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 11):

Hmmm when Democratic Senators do it, it's called pork-barrel spending or government waste.

Heck, the GOP still touts fellatiogate Pres. Clinton with that bovine intern.
Give me a break.

The way our own government treated it's own people in New Orleans is despicable. Hurrican Katrina was just a reminder that Blacks are still 2nd. class citizens.

Add in anyone else that is not your typical Republican.

dl021

Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:47 am

He's duty bound as a Senator from that state to represent them and seek out assistance for them. Do you think he shouldn't?

I think there's a difference between typical pork barrel crap, i.e. local parks and unneeded highways or research grants for the exploration of titmouse mating habits and seeking aid after a disaster. There's economic benefit to the entire country in helping the affected people in LA, MS and AL get back on their feet.

That cartoon by Luckovich is despicable

That's a complete load of crap. Get off the cross, Jesus needs the room.

MD-90

Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:20 am

Quoting Superfly (Thread starter):
A triumvirate of Republican power brokers may give Mississippi first dibs in the post-Hurricane Katrina grab for federal disaster funds even though the US government focused its initial response on New Orleans.

Gee, maybe because MISSISSIPPI was hit far harder by the hurricane than NOLA was?

Mississippi's political muscle follows decades of being in the shadow of Louisiana, clout-wise, on Capitol Hill.

That's another reason.

Let's just do away with government, cut taxes, and let people just help themselves.

Oh, I agree. And watch the private charity skyrocket and help with far greater efficiency than bumbling governments ever could.

We're Nuts

Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:24 am

Come on, guys, Lott has three or four houses to rebuild!  bigthumbsup 
Dear moderators: No.

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:26 am

Had Strom Thurmond been elected President in 1948, we wouldn't be havin' all theez problems.

Signed
Trent Lott
Bring back the Concorde

zippyjet

Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:30 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 16):
Had Strom Thurmond been elected President in 1948, we wouldn't be havin' all theez problems.

Signed
Trent Lott

I'm waiting for the bad hair Republican politico to proclaim that if Pat Buchanan as President and Newt Gingrich as Vice President there is still hope to make the USA lilly white, Christian and REPUBLICAN!

B744F

Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:02 am

Let's just do away with government, cut taxes, and let people just help themselves.

That would be called anarchy, and only the few people with money would survive and no government would be there to protect the less fortunate.

CaptOveur

Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:06 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 7):

Put a sock in this drivel... So you are saying there are no black people on the coastline of MS? I bet if you look at the numbers there isn't a signifigant difference in number of minorities along the coast from Houston all the way to Pensacola.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:30 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 19):
So you are saying there are no black people on the coastline of MS? I bet if you look at the numbers there isn't a signifigant difference in number of minorities along the coast from Houston all the way to Pensacola.

Already know that but that region has a higher percentage of Whites unlike the city of New Orleans.
Next time, think before you spout out your drivel.
Bring back the Concorde

MD-90

Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:44 pm

Quoting B744F (Reply 18):
That would be called anarchy, and only the few people with money would survive and no government would be there to protect the less fortunate.

And yet before FDR, America had an enormous private charity system that was far more effective than government ever has been or ever will be.

johnboy

Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:00 pm

That's one of the most simple yet powerful political cartoons i've seen in a long time.

Thanks for posting it.

Falcon84

Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:25 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 2):
If you'd seen the coastline of the state of MS you'd understand that the need there is as dire for rebuilding as in LA....

it's gone, dude. Half of the buildings in several cities along the coasts are either damaged heavily or plain gone.

They need the money as much as anyone else in this disaster.

Agreed. Not to take any attention away from the horrific plight in NOLA, but Mississippi and Alabama have been absolutely leveled by this storm, maybe moreso then Louisiana, outside of the NOLA area. It's just devistating.

So on this one, simply bringing up Trent Lott's name as a way to scorn Miss. getting aid is as bad as GuitrThree scorning Mrs. Clinton in that other thread-it's just politics as usual.

Quoting DL021 (Reply 13):

I think there's a difference between typical pork barrel crap, i.e. local parks and unneeded highways or research grants for the exploration of titmouse mating habits and seeking aid after a disaster.

Again, agreed. Unfortunately, Superfly, you're making it sound like Miss and Ala should get NOTHING simply BECAUSE Mr. Lott is there. That's as much horseshit as those turning politics the other way right now. This isn't "pork barrel" right now, dude-it's literally a matter of life and death, in a 3-state area. If I were from Mississippi, and I'd have seen all the attention focused on NOLA, and only passing reference to what's going on in Mississippi, I'd use my clout, too, just to make sure my state got what it needed.

And why, Superfly, since Trent Lott lost his home in this storm, shouldn't he get government assistance? Because you and I don't like his political lean? Because he might be a racist son of a bitch? He lost his home-it's gone, and he should be assisted, just like any other American who has weathered this calamity.

They say that such disasters bring out the best and worst in people. Well, sadly, in many ways, as shown by 'Fly here, and GuitrThree on his thread, it seems to have brought out the worst in some of us.
Work Right, Fly Hard

dl021

Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:13 pm

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 21):
And yet before FDR, America had an enormous private charity system that was far more effective than government ever has been or ever will be.

and please describe this enormous private charity system along with some sources....

ANCFlyer

Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:34 pm

The way our own government treated it's own people in New Orleans is despicable.

The way Lousiana's Government and the New Orleans City Government treated it's own population is despicable, completely and utterly inexcuseable. If you'd take the blinders off and quit drinking whatever new flavored Koolaid you've discovered, you'd see that.

Remember these words Superfly: "Go to the Superdome".

Want to point fingers, better start with Gover  confused  and Mayor  hissyfit  . . broaden your perspective . . .put down the koolaid cup.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 23):
Agreed. Not to take any attention away from the horrific plight in NOLA, but Mississippi and Alabama have been absolutely leveled by this storm, maybe moreso then Louisiana, outside of the NOLA area. It's just devistating.

Absolutely. Unfortunately, too many people fail to see the devastation along the Mississippi coast (including our "Fair and Balanced" media) and have instead focused on NOLA. Not that it is any less important of course, just a bigger story for the worthless news media.

Quoting DL021 (Reply 24):
and please describe this enormous private charity system along with some sources....

I was afraid someone would ask him for that . . . here, let me help you MD-90:

www.lewfuckwell.com
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

AeroWesty

Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:01 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 25):
Want to point fingers, better start with Gover  confused  and Mayor  hissyfit  . . broaden your perspective . . .put down the koolaid cup.

I've noticed no one's reserved a smilie for President  conehead  and his cronies who've let 600 first responders from Peoria to Orlando sit for days playing football, or setup a bipartisan investigative committee without even contacting the Democrats, or made hundreds line up for relief debit cards, only to find out the line was to sign up for FEMA aid they'd already signed up for, diverted firemen and equipment for photo ops, didn't even know there were evacuees at the Convention Center until Thursday, etc. etc. etc.

Yeah, this is a local blunder on a grand scale. Uh huh.

The responsibility for this disaster is equally shared, and no amount of smilies will change that.

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:17 am

Falcon84:
Stop putting words in my mouth. I never said Trent Lott or Mississippi shouldn't get anything.

ANCFlyer:
What is with the 'Kool-Aid' reference?  Confused
Bring back the Concorde

MD-90

Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:20 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 23):
but Mississippi and Alabama have been absolutely leveled by this storm, maybe moreso then Louisiana, outside of the NOLA area.

Mississippi took the brunt of it. Alabama actually got less hurricane damage than Lousiana did, I think.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 25):
The way Lousiana's Government and the New Orleans City Government treated it's own population is despicable, completely and utterly inexcuseable. If you'd take the blinders off and quit drinking whatever new flavored Koolaid you've discovered, you'd see that.

As we say in Alabama, and I can now say in Mississippi, "thank God for Louisiana."

Quoting DL021 (Reply 24):

For starters, despite our ruinous tax rates of about 50%, total, and the hidden tax of government inflation, American citizens even today gave twice as much money to tsunami relief as the American governments did.

I also suggest that you research the history of the Dorcas Society, the Catholic charities, and the LDS Church's own charity for it's members. Churches used to get more money in donations because they weren't competing with the federal income tax, for starters. There were soup kitchens and relief societies on every corner. How do you think that the poor (genuinely poor, unlike today's "below poverty line 'poor'" survived? The Salvation Army was a much bigger force than it is today (per capita).

Dr. Olasky reports that by the turn of the century, charity wood yards were as common as liquor stores are today. The end of the century may have been one of the best periods in American charity. Relief workers had seen the failure of government welfare and had even noted the moral corruption of the people who administered it. An 1894 study of government-run relief concluded that “the degradation of character of the man on a salary set to the work of relieving the poor is one of the most discouraging things in connection with relief-work . . . .” Charity, like the ministry, should be a calling, not a job.

-----

It was not, however, a straight line from the New Deal to the Great Society. The programs of the 1930s were to offer temporary aid for rehabilitation, and President Franklin Roosevelt thought state aid was a “narcotic.” Even in the early 1960s, Dr. Olasky tells us, welfare workers in New York City were still being warned that it could be as important to withhold relief as to give it, and the bureaucracy was still trying to locate relatives who could help. It is only in the last few decades that the stigma of the dole has evaporated, welfare has become a “right,” and the incompetent and irresponsible get unconditional handouts.

Government charity also squeezed the life out of the private associations that had done so much good work. As Dr. Olasky explains, bad charity drives out good; relief efforts that put the able-bodied poor to work and seek to correct their moral deficiencies will lose their clientele to government clerks who issue checks and ask no questions.

http://www.amren.com/929issue/9209issue.html

A brief history of American charity (12.5MB PDF file)
http://pcr.hudson.org/article_docs/book_giving_ch5.pdf

One side
http://www.cato.org/dailys/7-01-97.html

But of course, liberals think that their Holy Father, the Government, is the only source of salvation.
http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-welfarecharity.htm

AeroWesty

Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:22 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 27):
What is with the 'Kool-Aid' reference?

I'm surprised, your being from San Francisco, you don't know of Jim Jones and the mass suicides in Guyana.

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:30 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 29):
I'm surprised, your being from San Francisco, you don't know of Jim Jones and the mass suicides in Guyana.

Well aware of it. I was like 6 years old when it happened.
Obviously I didn't drink his Kool-Aid. Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

ANCFlyer

Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:36 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 26):
The responsibility for this disaster is equally shared, and no amount of smilies will change that.

I concur . . . all levels have screwed the pooch.

What I can't stand is some of these A-Netters simply look at PotUS and company with blinders refusing to see just how screwed into the ground Mayor  hissyfit  and the NOLA city managers are, and how utterly ridiculously incompetent Governor  confused  is sitting there bawling in Baton Rouge.

If you're going to point fingers at error and play the blame game include all the players not just the ones that fit your left or right wing nut job agenda.

ANCFlyer:
What is with the 'Kool-Aid' reference?

My friend, I've never seen you  stirthepot  as you have in the last twenty four hours . . . just  confused  myself as to what flavor of koolaid you're drinking now . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

AeroWesty

Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:42 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 31):
What I can't stand is some of these A-Netters simply look at PotUS and company with blinders

So why no smilie for President  conehead  and crew? I mean, that would only be fair and balanced.

Falcon84

Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:45 am

Falcon84:
Stop putting words in my mouth. I never said Trent Lott or Mississippi shouldn't get anything.

Actually, you did:

"I know Trent Lott lost his house and all but why can't Trent rely soley on the private sector and funds that he put aside?"

In other words, you don't want him to get Federal aid, even though, as a victim himself, he may qualify for it.

That's the kind of garbage that has kept me out of most of the political debate on this subject. It's just not worth it.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:46 am

ANCFlyer:
I haven't had Kool-Aid since I was like 9 years old.
Dentist warned me that all that sugar would rot out my teeth and I didn't want to be a 'yuck mouth'.
(Saturday morning cartoon commercial reference)  Smile

What biased news outlet is pinning the blame on Governor Blanco?
Hindsight is 20/20. No one knew the storm would leave this much destruction.
Never in our lifetime have we had an administration that was so callous and unwilling to do any and point fingers during a tragedy.
George W. Bush chose to politicize this disaster.
He is a total coward!
Bush, Blanco, Nagin should all be working together. Instead Bush and his spin doctors are pointing fingers while dead bodies are still floating in the streets of New Orleans.
Bring back the Concorde

Falcon84

Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:03 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 34):

Come on, man! They've been looking at THIS VERY SCENARIO for 30 years! Ever since Camille hit the area, everyone has been studying it! Local, state and Federal officials have been looking at this foever and ever amen, so don't sound like Chertoff and wimp out like this. EVERYONE knew a storm like Katrina COULD do this kind of damage, and everyone seemed to have been caught napping, and that has cost thousands of live, man.

I know where I place the share of the blame-and it is shared, but I won't ever buy this garbage that "no one knew". Chertoff should have been fired the minute he said FEMA wasn't prepared for such a storm.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:08 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 35):
Chertoff should have been fired the minute he said FEMA wasn't prepared for such a storm.

Agreed.
Bring back the Concorde

ANCFlyer

Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:08 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 32):
So why no smilie for President and crew? I mean, that would only be fair and balanced.

I want one for Chertoff and Brown - the real fuckups . . . give me some and I'll use them . . . .

Instead Bush and his spin doctors are pointing fingers while dead bodies are still floating in the streets of New Orleans.

Superfly, this phrase of yours should read:

Chertoff, Brown, Blanco and Nagin are pointing fingers . . . . .

Do you continue to deny that the plans for this disaster were woefully fucked by the city and state governments as well as FEMA? Satisfy my curiosity here please . . . I contend you're wearing blinders to the whole situation, the parts that perhaps don't fit your personal or political agenda. Do you place any blame with Blanco and her government and/or Nagin and his government?

And, regardless of your answer yes, or no, please elaborate.

Thanks

AeroWesty

Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:10 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 37):
I want one for Chertoff and Brown - the real fuckups . . . give me some and I'll use them

Dammit, man, I'm still searching for one of Yosemite Sam, but I'll add em to my list.  Big grin

B744F

Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:55 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 28):
The programs of the 1930s were to offer temporary aid for rehabilitation, and President Franklin Roosevelt thought state aid was a “narcotic.”

And yet his administration introduced Government agencies to set prices and other examples to make sure people had enough income to survive. I don't understand where that came from.

Government charity also squeezed the life out of the private associations that had done so much good work.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry buddy, but government assistance is the only reason poverty levels have declined. Government getting involved in setting minimum wages, welfare and other assistance work laws, health and safety laws, etc. has contributed greatly to our society. I can't believe you are going to sit here and deny that.

But of course, liberals think that their Holy Father, the Government, is the only source of salvation.

What nonsense. And you post a link to the cato institute, how wonderful.

Please take your useless comments and go back to read history. While charities of the past were helpful, they had nowhere near the scope of power the government had to bring our country out of the great depression (against the wishes of the wealthy and the Supreme Court until the late 30s) and create the economic boom of the 40s and 50s with higher wages, lower interest rates, and support for those stuck in tough times.

Government isn't the only source of salvation, but it should be the first and the biggest because of its size and the size of our country. Our economic system works best when more people are in poverty, the government needs to be there to check this immoral balance to make sure people have equal protection, equal opportunities, and equal support.

Stop trying to play best kid on the block like most people who claim they are sucessful because of hard work and everyone who isn't must be lazy and expects government handouts.

What about corporate welfare, tax breaks to the wealthy, etc? Why do these not come under fire? If the Federal Reserve did not work its magic in our country and many others to keep the economic systems afloat, we would be in the stone age again by now.

CaptOveur

Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:20 am

Wow all this bitching in this thread sure has accomplished a lot.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:22 am

Quoting Captoveur (Reply 40):
Wow all this bitching in this thread sure has accomplished a lot.

Yet you couldn't even answer a simple question.  Sad
Bring back the Concorde

dl021

Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:24 am

chirp...chirp...chirp....grasshoppers must be out..

BS....people here were commenting on the predictions about the coming disaster, including the possibility of flooding and the delayed storm surge. Everyone knew what would happen if the storm was coming, and no one could possibly think the storm was gonna go away.

George W. Bush chose to politicize this disaster.

Bull. The ones politicizing this were the ones who immediately blamed President Bush for the disaster and its aftermath, and piled on because of the political benefits to their side. President Bush has never commented on the politics of this, and has evidently told his people to avoid comment on blame for the duration....which is the correct thing to do.

He is a total coward!

Horseshit.

Bush, Blanco, Nagin should all be working together. Instead Bush and his spin doctors are pointing fingers while dead bodies are still floating in the streets of New Orleans.

Blanco and Nagin refused to do what was recommended and needed when they could have made an impact, and then squandered opportunities afterwards and you refuse to acknowledge this.

the Catholic charities, and the LDS Church's own charity for it's members.

And they aren't around anymore?

Churches used to get more money in donations because they weren't competing with the federal income tax, for starters.

Donations to non-profits, including religous causes are tax deductible up to 10% (tithing amount) thus those monies are not subject to taxation.

The Salvation Army

And they aren't there anymore? You do realize that many of the early religious charities to which you refer insisted on prosceletizing as compensation for their charities. Kind of like the "free" vacations to Orlando if you sit through the 3 hour "seminar" in shared real estate.

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:30 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 42):
the ones who immediately blamed President Bush for the disaster

Hate to call you on this but no one blamed Bush for hurricane Katrina.
Bring back the Concorde

dl021

Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:51 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 43):
the ones who immediately blamed President Bush for the disaster

Hate to call you on this but no one blamed Bush for hurricane Katrina.

OK..let me clarify....those who immediately blamed every problem including the levees breaking and the place not being evacuated and the people there being poor. They accused President Bush of not caring about black people when they can't back that up at all, and are simply venting frustration in a particularly despicable manner. To blame a man who just came on the scene for problems indemic in a community for decades is incorrect and fatuous.

ANCFlyer

Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:59 am

Superfly . . . perhaps you'd be so kind as to indulge me?

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 37):
Do you continue to deny that the plans for this disaster were woefully fucked by the city and state governments as well as FEMA? Satisfy my curiosity here please . . . I contend you're wearing blinders to the whole situation, the parts that perhaps don't fit your personal or political agenda. Do you place any blame with Blanco and her government and/or Nagin and his government?

And, regardless of your answer yes, or no, please elaborate.

Thanks . . .

MD-90

Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:43 pm

Quoting B744F (Reply 39):
Sorry buddy, but government assistance is the only reason poverty levels have declined. Government getting involved in setting minimum wages, welfare and other assistance work laws, health and safety laws, etc. has contributed greatly to our society.

That is so wrong I don't know where to begin. Increased productivity and competition is the only thing that has raised the average pay levels and made working safer. Welfare has only created and enabled more "poor," people who are rich by the standards of most nations in the world. Laws don't contribute jack to our society unless they protect the rights of private property and the freedoms of individuals. OSHA is a bureaucratic nightmare just like the EPA. Both unconstitutional federal agencies should be abolished.

While charities of the past were helpful, they had nowhere near the scope of power the government had to bring our country out of the great depression

And tell me, pray, what caused the depression?

Our economic system works best when more people are in poverty, the government needs to be there to check this immoral balance

That's a bunch of rubbish. Go back and read your Benjamin Franklin and see what America was like before the rise of our massive government. People were far more equal and there were few poor.

And they aren't around anymore?

Oh, I dunno, the Catholic Church still educates 12% of Americans.