UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

What To Do In Los Angeles, CA?

Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:44 pm

Hey,

it appears (c'est une poire) that I shall (les eaux) be sent to LA for a subsequent trhaaining to the one I am currently attending.

What entertainment should I expect in the aforementioned city ? (apart from getting shot at, of course)

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

707CMF

RE: What To Do In Los Angeles, CA?

Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:22 pm

Drive down Sunset Boulevard around 9 or 10pm, and do your shopping...

Cheers,

itsjustme

Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:36 pm

If I remember right, if you want to get shot (and killed), you can just stay where you are and run from the police.

salso

Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:56 pm

There's actually a lot to do in LA. Shopping (from the cheapest possibilities to - let's say your budget is unlimited - the famous Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills), going to the movies (which you can do anywhere in the world), cruising the beaches in Santa Monica (the pier is very commercialized, but lovely) etc. etc.

If you really get a lot of time, go sightseeing, if you really have A LOOOOOOOOOOT of time, hire a car and go sightseeing on one of the freeways.

KROC

Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:20 pm

The best thing to do in L.A. is leave and find a better city to visit.

OYRJA

Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:14 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 4):

Yeah I heard that Viborg, South Dakota would be worth a visit  Smile

Catatonic

Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:09 pm

YOu could be extremely cheesey and do a stars and their homes tour!!! I did and I got a pic of that guy from Malcom in the middle dragging his wheeley bin in!! Otherwise you could do disney and californian adventure.
Equally Cursed and Blessed.

KROC

Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:00 pm

Quoting OYRJA (Reply 5):
Yeah I heard that Viborg, South Dakota would be worth a visit

Rapid City would be much better.

N1120A

Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:27 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 4):

Yeah, like beautiful Crapchester, New York  sarcastic 

In Los Angeles, there is tons to do. If you want the beach and relaxation, head up Pacific Coast Highway (CA 1) from Santa Monica up to Malibu and pick a spot in the sand. If you want shopping without pretense and with an amazing vibe, head to the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica. For night life, nothing beats the Sunset Strip (Sunset Blvd. from the Beverly Hills/West Hollywood Border to La Brea Blvd.). The original Disneyland is in Anaheim, which is reachable by train from Union Station if you don't have car access. Also, GQ just named Los Angeles the United States best food city, and it is true. You can find amazing food anywhere in the city and not have to pay much if you want.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

clickhappy

Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:38 pm

Dude, live a little.

Roll down to Pinks for a chili dog, then hop in the car for a quick trip out to Griffith Park, you can hit the zoo or the train exhibits.

Roll thru the wax museum in Hollywood, the La Brea Tar Pits, and go see a horse race.

There is a ton of history, things like Graumans Chinese Theatre and the Getty Museum. The freaks in Hollywood and/or Venice can keep you busy for a week.

Of course a trite little frenchman would be out of their depth in LA, so keep your windows rolled up.

bristolflyer

Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:11 am

Go to Santa Monica, hire a bike then cycle along the pavement on the beach (you can go for miles and it's mostly flat). I've done it a few times and it's cool. It also goes undr the flightpath for LAX which you may be interested in if you're an a.netter. There's an abandoned road you can cycle up and get a good view of the airport.

BF
Fortune favours the brave

aerobalance

Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:23 am

Depends, what do you like to do? You can do anything here in the LA area, even get shot at if you desire.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

Sabena332

Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:27 am

Experience the nightlife in Compton and North Hollywood, two beautiful parts of LA.  Wink

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Superfly

Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:38 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 4):

KROC says something funny for a change! Big grin

UTA_flyinghigh:
What is your thing?
Sunset Bl. at night is the place to go and hob-knob with wannabe celebrities full of places with trendy clubs with high cover charges and women with more plastic in them than a Honda Civic.
Santa Monica Bl. at night is where you go to pick up transvestites.
Venice/Santa Monica Beach is cool place to hang out in the day time. Lots of cool shops, random performers and eccentric types.
Melrose is a decent place to hang out in the daytime with a few neat shops.
Check out Amoeba Records on Vine Street. It has to be the coolest record store in Southern California.  Cool

Other than that, try hooking up with Matt D and maybe he'll show you his big 10 inch
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly

Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:39 am

....reel to reel deck.
Bring back the Concorde

KROC

Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:02 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 8):
Yeah, like beautiful Crapchester, New York

Pay attention allstar. I never pimp Crapchester likes its some marvelous city, some great tourist destination or anything like that. If you want a garbage Plate - come here. If you want a big city...go somewhere else. But I guess you are too busy rolling your eyes to actually pay attention to details...

saigonhouston

Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:18 am

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Thread starter):
What entertainment should I expect in the aforementioned city ?

Say no more UTA_flyinghigh.
It's a gorgeous, beautiful, night life city. Sunset blvd, Rodeo drive, Berverly hills, West Hollywood, Santa Monica, Malibu...oh my my my.

Don't forget to check out in&out burger place nearby LAX.

I had relative lived in Santa Monica and friends are lived in West Hollywood. I spent more time on West Hollywood than with my relative in Santa Monica.

Enjoy and flying high.

saigonhouton

N1120A

Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:21 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 15):
If you want a big city...go somewhere else. But I guess you are too busy rolling your eyes to actually pay attention to details...

Hey, just have to stand up for my hometown, the most greatest city in the world.

BTW, instead of In N Out, you should try The Proud Bird on Aviation Blvd. The food is really good, if a bit pricey, and the views of the 25s are amazing
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Superfly

Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:34 am

When are you visiting L.A.?

If your there in Novemeber, check out the Brewery Art Colony downtown Los Angeles.
I was there for there spring exhibit and it was amazing. Lot's of eclectic art work, performers, food and beer.

http://www.breweryartwalk.com/
Bring back the Concorde

AeroWesty

Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:56 am

When I lived in L.A., I'd always take out-of-towners to El Cid in Silverlake:

Built in 1890 as Hollywood's first soundstage, El Cid went on to host flamenco shows for a crowd sauced on homemade sangria. Since then, it's housed live DJs, alternative bands and fashion shows.

With multiple patios and a kitschy-cool interior, El Cid is a sprawling restaurant and club-cum-playground situated on a hipster-clogged stretch of Sunset Boulevard in Silver Lake. On weekends, the flamenco floor show often sells out; rock bands occasionally take the stage as well. Sunday brunchers are treated to the jazz stylings of Jerri & Friends, a band fronted by one of the oldest female drummers on earth. It's a trip.

4212 Sunset Blvd. (I'm not too sure how current the review is of it above, though, so check for current attractions.)
International Homo of Mystery

KROC

Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:59 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 17):
Hey, just have to stand up for my hometown, the most greatest city in the world.

I get defending your home town and all, but greatest city in the world? Sorry bro. I've been to L.A. several times...and unless the sky is a different color in your L.A....it aint great.

Superfly

Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:04 am

Los Angeles is 200 miles wide and only 1 inch deep.
Bring back the Concorde

Matt D

Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:04 am

Well LA is a pretty damn big area, and has lots to see and do-ranging from the cheesy Hollywood tours to Disneyland to museums to restaurants to sterile suburbia, not to mention easy access to beaches, mountains, deserts, and farmland. Maybe if you gave us an idea of what you had in mind-we could narrow it down for you. Depending on what it is, maybe I can spend a day and show you around-in my Cobra Convertible of course.

Superfly

Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:09 am

Matt D:
Check out the kind words I had for you in reply #13. Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

Matt D

Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:18 am

bigthumbsup  bigthumbsup  bigthumbsup  bigthumbsup  bigthumbsup 

airxliban

Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:29 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 4):

I second that.

Anyway, with that little introduction aside, a lot of what you can do depends on where you'll be staying and what sort of mobility you'll have.

But here are some things which I think any tourist in LA ought to do. Mostly repeats from other members have said:

1. Go to the In-n-Out at the airport. There is a grassy lawn on the otherwise of the street from it and you can enjoy some amazing views of landing aircraft. If you go around 2:30 or so and stay for a couple hours you're likely to get some nice heavies, KE 744, BR 744, VS 744, BA 744 (subject to which runway they use of course).

2. Go down to the Newport coast line and enjoy a walk along the pier and have a meal somewhere aroudn there. It feels like the California exported to the world.

3. Hollywood Blvd, Grauman's Chinese Theatre, tourist stuff at its best.

4. Drive up Pacific Coast Highway (PCH).

5. Sunset Blvd...unique place and I'm sure once you get on it you'll figure out what to do. Bars, Restaurants, Strip Clubs, Nightclubs, a mixture of all of the above.

6. You might as well go to Downtown. Just take a bulletproof vest with you and don't do it at night.

7. There's a UA DC-8 parked on the corner of Exposition and Figueroa Blvd close to downtown. Just thought I'd mention it. You can't go inside or anything.

8. Getty Museum. It's on Getty Centre Drive off of the 405 and its worth the visit, it has some lovely exhibits and some nice views.

9. Tommy's. Double Chili Cheeseburger with Chili Fries and an antacid. WORTH IT!!!!!

10. If you like Mexican food but haven't been to Mexico, go to a place called El Cholo (there are a few in LA). I don't know how authentic it is, but in my opinion its the best in town. I'll probably get challenged on that though. I also happen to get 50% off though, so that might be one reason why I keep on going back.

11. Disneyland if you like that sort of thing. Universal Studios.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

Matt D

Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:43 am

The UA DC-8 is an exhibit of the Museum of Science and Industry. It is across the street from the Colisseum, site of the 1984 games. It's also close to USC. But otherwise, that's a pretty bad area.

Oh Tommys....yes....not for the light of heart or those worried about their cholesterol. A Tommys burger looks nasty, but is very TASTY.

Mexican restaurants are dime a dozen. Most have good or excellent food. Forget about the "Americanized" chains such as El Torito or Aculpulco or Don Jose. Those places suck. The real Mexican places are the little family run hole in the wall joints. They probably have "C" cleanliness ratings, but who cares?

They range from tiny little take out windows to actual dining rooms.

My two favorites are Taxcos in Baldwin Park and Josies in Riverside.

[Edited 2005-09-08 20:44:59]

Airlinerfreak

Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:27 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 7):
Rapid City would be much better.

Yes and in Rochester I would be bored before even getting out of the car. The whole city is walkable in 5 minuets.

Quoting KROC (Reply 4):

Lindy

Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:34 am

How far is the Sunset Blvd from LAX?
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

AeroWesty

Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:46 am

Quoting Lindy (Reply 28):
How far is the Sunset Blvd from LAX?

Sunset Blvd. runs from downtown to the beach, but if you were to pick a point like where the Sunset Strip is, and drove north on the San Diego Fwy, then east on the Santa Monica Fwy, then north on La Cienega Blvd., it takes about 30 mins. on a good day with light traffic. In traffic, it's anybody's guess.
International Homo of Mystery

PSA53

Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:59 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 17):

You bet! I do too! Friends have moved out and regretted it.
So much here.

Some suggestions:
Mountains-Arrowhead/Big Bear
Beach cities-Dana Point/Newport Beach
Huntington Beach at PCH has nightclubs.
Parks-6 Flags,Knotts,Disneyland,amongst others mention.
City-Hollywood(theatre,nightclubs)Beverly Hills
Sports-Angels coming home for last homestand.Dodger stadium
Airport spotting-Bur,Ont,Lax,Sna and LGB
Enjoy your stay!
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:24 pm

Hey all,

Thanks for the replies  Smile
I shall (...) be in LA in the first week of November, I hope it will (me) still be hot (at least compared to DUB).

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 12):
Experience the nightlife in Compton

In order to save money, it appears the company booked a hotel on something called Crenshaw Boulevard. I wonder where that is.

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

airxliban

Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:30 pm

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Reply 31):
In order to save money, it appears the company booked a hotel on something called Crenshaw Boulevard. I wonder where that is.

Crenshaw Blvd is very long, but you're probably staying in a very lousy area. Crenshaw Blvd goes through some of the worst areas you can imagine, but there are unlikely to be any hotels there so I wouldn't worry about it.

My guess would be somewhere around LAX.

BN747

Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:40 pm

In order to save money, it appears the company booked a hotel on something called Crenshaw Boulevard. I wonder where that is

I hope that's a joke.. becuz if it isn't... you'd better change that as forthwith!

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 2):
If I remember right, if you want to get shot (and killed), you can just stay where you are and run from the police.

I'm not fond of this poster.. but this is the best line in the thread! Hilarious and it's a perfect fit with your Crenshaw Hotel.

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 25):
Quoting KROC (Reply 4):The best thing to do in L.A. is leave and find a better city to visit.
I second that.

AirX.. I oughta take you of my RU list.. you traitor!  box  Jk!

But the rest of AirX's post is spot on there's a zillion things to do and in the time you'll be here you won't be able to do them all.. not even close.

The weather will be like summer...

Enjoy your stay!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

airxliban

Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:48 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 33):
AirX.. I oughta take you of my RU list.. you traitor! Jk!

I'm not on it man! Now if you wanted to add me I'd be willing to change my opinion for the increase in RR  Wink Hehe.

Actually I do think that Southern California is one of the most fantastic places in the world, but the administrative aspects of being an Angelino are quite frankly enough to make me retch.

copaair737

Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:59 pm

Go to the world-class beaches like Laguna Beach or Santa Monica. Nice looking women at the beaches if your up for looking at a little eyecandy. Or, since you're already on Crenshaw, head into Compton, drink some OE, and chill with the homies. haha.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

smitten

Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:31 pm

Depends on how much time you have and what you where you are going to be. I have lived my entire life in LA apart from the past few months. My suggestions:

1. Santa Monica...3rd street promenade (weekend evenings are the best), and the pier.

2. Hollywood...It is a sh*t hole, however everyone has to see it once, great food too...Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles on Gower.

3. Huntington Beach...The original Surf City, the beach have spent every summer at since childhood. Not the cleanest, but i love it just the same.(not terribly close to LA, but not far)

4. THe Getty Center...Incredible Impressionist collection, great architecture, and astounding views.

5. Driving down the 110 freeway at night, right through down town.

6. A long drive down Santa Monica Blvd. takes you from Santa Monica, all the way to Hollywood, passing through parts of Bev. Hills (the BH poilice station is an incredible building, well for a police station that is) and west Hollywood. Lots of character along the entire BLVD.

7. If you have lots of time Six Flags Magic Mountain... about a 45 minute drive north, again, a sh*t hole of a park, but the most incredible roller coasters (this time of year only open on weekends)

8. Long Beach... there's lots to do there, but some rough areas

If i think of anymore i will post again... until then... enjoy my home town!

Riley

smitten

Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:46 pm

oh yeah...

What to expect. I'm not going to lie, there are places in LA i would not feel comfortable going into in broad day light! but most of it is perfectly safe.

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:07 pm

That was indeed a joke  Silly and some did fall for it  Wink

UTA  checkeredflag