clickhappy

Bush Takes Blame For Katrina Blunders

Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:36 am

http://www.komotv.com/stories/39174.htm

Will it be too little, too late?

I for one am glad to see him make these statements, the buck should (and does) stop with the President.

dl021

RE: Bush Takes Blame For Katrina Blunders

Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:39 am

This was bound to happen. He's going to focus on fixing the problems found, but I wonder what others here are going to say?

Falcon. He has now done what you said he never does.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

LHMark

Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:41 am

Well, it's pretty easy to take the blame when there are no actual repercussions from doing so, so a safe move by Bush to shore up some of his crumbling support.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

tristarenvy

Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:44 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Thread starter):
Will it be too little, too late?

Probably not. From where he is standing on the "approval rating scale" one can't go anywhere but up.

I am glad he's taking responsibility. He probably should have done some things different. However, as the inevitable congressional hearings will show, this sounds like a failure on about every level of government, top-to-bottom.
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

clickhappy

How can you say there are no repercussions? He is opening himself up to more attack by accepting blame, don't you think?

I think we need to be patient and see where this takes us...but it feels like a new direction.

AeroWesty

While encouraging news, Bush's statement was somewhat qualified:

"To the extent the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility," Bush said.

It's more like "the buck stops where I want it to stop".
International Homo of Mystery

Mikey711MN

Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:46 am

Quoting LHMark (Reply 2):
Well, it's pretty easy to take the blame when there are no actual repercussions from doing so, so a safe move by Bush to shore up some of his crumbling support.

While I respect anyone who "takes responsibility" for something, part of that includes paying consequentially for one's actions or lack thereof. And therefore I agree with you LHMark, I'm not really sure I see that in this case.

But his value as a leader--indeed now "responsible" for putting the correct resources, both personnel and otherwise, in place to fix the problem--will be told from this point on, and for that, I'm glad that we seem to have some sort of starting point for the rebuilding to begin. Without anyone taking responsibility for past [in]actions, there is no explicit person to take responsibility to move forward.

-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

Boeing7E7

Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:53 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 5):
It's more like "the buck stops where I want it to stop".

You mean... Where it should stop. Theres only so much that can be done when a Local and State government is incompitent and doesn't follow the guidelines of a Standardized Emergency Management System.

NOLA could learn a lot from California, a plan ironically suggested to be put in place at State levels by FEMA:

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetext/DANR/DANRGuide2_33-38SEMS.pdf

Matt D

Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:54 am

If Bush takes responsibility, he is practicing weak leadership.

if Bush doesn't take responsibility, he is practicing weak leadership.

Let me ask you straight out, short of dying or resigning, is there ANYTHING...anything at all that the poor man CAN do that would make you happy?

ANCFlyer

Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:55 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 4):
How can you say there are no repercussions? He is opening himself up to more attack by accepting blame, don't you think?

"To the extent the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility," Bush said.

I would guess you're right . . . but no one can say he's just waiting it out in the White House . . .

Now, if PotUS would get FEMA out from under the DHS umbrella and eliminate a whole level of bureacracy from it's chain of command, that would be great.

Let's see what he says Thursday evening . . . better be good.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

AeroWesty

Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:57 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 9):

I'm stocking up on extra popcorn. I'll even share!

Boeing7E7

Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:58 am

Quoting Matt D (Reply 8):
Let me ask you straight out, short of dying or resigning, is there ANYTHING...anything at all that the poor man CAN do that would make you happy?

I'm thoroughly convinced anything short of dying will not be enough for these clowns.

dan-air

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:01 am

Well, that's a start. I must admit I am surprised, although looking at the poll numbers, Bush has only one way to go, and that's up. He would have a lot more credibility in my book if he had admitted mistakes on 9/11 and Iraq , although I think the Iraq debacle warrants impeachment.

Now bring FEMA back to where it was under Clinton. Start by firing all the unqualified cronies. Open up the re-building efforts to competitive bids. Eliminate planned tax-cuts to cover the cost of recovery/re-building.

ANCFlyer

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:06 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 10):
Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 9):

I'm stocking up on extra popcorn. I'll even share

My Hero!  biggrin 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

TedTAce

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:18 am

Quoting President Bush:

"I take responsibility"
"To the extent the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility,"

faint 
This space intentionally left blank

ANCFlyer

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:20 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 14):
Quoting President Bush:

"I take responsibility"
"To the extent the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility,"

faint 

I'd do the same thing if  cry  and  hissyfit  would own up to their own blunders . . .

EZEIZA

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:29 am

It's about time he takes responsability for something. In order to go forward you need a first step, so let's hope his statement was the first step towards better leadership, although after some of the stuff he said about Iraq and Siria, I doubt it.
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

Superfly

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:37 am

He can jump in to the Potomac river ! Big grin
Oh I get to keep his daughter Jenna.  Silly
Bring back the Concorde

dvk

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:39 am

While hell may not have frozen over, there must be a little frost there today...  eek 
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

Boeing7E7

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:39 am

Quoting Dan-Air (Reply 12):
Now bring FEMA back to where it was under Clinton. Start by firing all the unqualified cronies. Open up the re-building efforts to competitive bids. Eliminate planned tax-cuts to cover the cost of recovery/re-building.

FEMA was a joke then too. It took six days days for a response to Andrew. States need to follow California's lead in what they did after the San Francisco earthquake and get a standardized plan together.

stlgph

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:40 am

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 11):
I'm thoroughly convinced anything short of dying will not be enough for these clowns.

Damn you, you guessed it.

On second thought, if he closed Love Field, we might have a deal.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

WellHung

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:40 am

Wow, good for him. Seriously - is this the first time he has publicly accepted responsibility for one of his administration's many major 'mistakes' (to put it mildly)? And who in the administration allowed this acceptance of responsibility to slip through the cracks? At this point you'd think it would have thrown up red flags at the earliest stages of proposal.

Maybe he can put together another bureacracy to oversee DHS , FEMA, etc. for one of his inexperienced friends to mismanage that can make the response to the next disaster even more convoluted and disorganized.

Superfly

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:43 am

I still don't trust Bush and will not give any praise for accepting responsibility.
Why did Bush hire Michael Brown in the first place?
Didn't Bush see that this man brought nothing to the table?
Bush doesn't deserve any medal for accepting responsibility for his administrations f--k ups.
Besides, every conservative news outlet is blaming and pointing fingers at every Democrat that was in the path of hurricane Katrina's path.
Therefore, George W. Bush himself doesn't need to do it.
Bring back the Concorde

satx

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:44 am

Quoting LHMark (Reply 2):

checkmark 

If he started taking the environment seriously then I would let some of his other bullshit slide. At least Tony Blair has THAT going for him, if nothing else.

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 11):

Well, that's what makes you a narrow-minded r-e-a-c-t-i-o-n-a-r-y.  Big grin
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

cfalk

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:47 am

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 19):
FEMA was a joke then too. It took six days days for a response to Andrew.

WHAT! Sacrilege! FEMA worked beautifully under Clinton (Peace be unto him). Bush screwed it up. It's all Bush's fault!

signed,
you-know-who
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

AeroWesty

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:53 am

Guys, guys, Hurricane Andrew made landfall on Aug. 24, 1992, while Bush 41 was president. Many have theorized that the lack of an appropriate response by FEMA during that disaster cost Bush the election a little over 2 months later.

satx

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:55 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 24):
WHAT! Sacrilege! FEMA worked beautifully under Clinton

I was under the impression that FEMA was better respected under Clinton. Am I wrong? Are you saying that we're holding Bush to a higher standard than we held Clinton? If so, where are your SOURCES AND EXAMPLES that you always piss and moan about?

dragon-wings

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:57 am

Stop the presses! He actually admitted he made a mistake?  faint 
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

DLKAPA

Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:04 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 1):
Falcon. He has now done what you said he never does.

Up until now, he never did what he just did.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

clickhappy

Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:24 am

one thing I have never understood is people who take one side of an argument and refuse to budge, even when presented with such things as facts and fluid situations.

I am not a Bush supporter, but I think it is refreshing that he is taking a bottom line approach and I think that it will help the people affected by this tragedy.

To just say it won't work, because you don't like GWB is  thumbsdown 

redngold

Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:25 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 1):
He has now done what you said he never does.

(Playing Devil's Advocate) Yeah, he's truly sorry and takes responsibility... because there are over 200 oil rigs either destroyed or missing in the Gulf of Mexico...  sarcastic 

I'm glad he had the balls to take *some* responsibility for putting unqualified individuals in charge of disaster management.

redngold
Up, up and away!

Superfly

Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:30 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 30):
I'm glad he had the balls to take *some* responsibility for putting unqualified individuals in charge of disaster management.

That's no different that starting a flame thread and then apologizing for it.
Does that warrant a medal?   

[Edited 2005-09-13 21:30:45]
Bring back the Concorde

B744F

Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:40 am

WHAT! Sacrilege! FEMA worked beautifully under Clinton (Peace be unto him). Bush screwed it up. It's all Bush's fault!

Nice use of sources and examples. By the way, funding of FEMA and other agencies was cut drastically under Bush compared to the Clinton administration who at least pretended to care.

redngold

Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:42 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 31):

That's no different that starting a flame thread and then apologizing for it.
Does that warrant a medal?

Did I *give* him a  goldmedal  ? I don't think so.

I'm giving him credit for growing up a little bit. Unfortunately, he should have been a grownup *before* he ran for office - and I'm not talking physical growth or puberty, I'm talking about emotional intelligence and intellect.

redngold
Up, up and away!

sidewinder

Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:46 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 22):
I still don't trust Bush and will not give any praise for accepting responsibility

that's because he is a republican and you don't like republicans.

Bush doesn't deserve any medal for accepting responsibility for his administrations f--k ups

I don't remember anyone mentioning a medal.
"I don't think I will ever get over Macho Grande"

MidnightMike

Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:01 am

Why did Bush hire Michael Brown in the first place?
Didn't Bush see that this man brought nothing to the table?

Then perhaps you should write your Congressmen, Democrats as well as Republicans:

Quote:

"Not only was Brown confirmed," noted York. "But he was apparently confirmed by a unanimous voice vote -- when the Senate was controlled by Democrats. . . .

"The whole affair, including tributes from Brown's home-state senators, apparently lasted less then an hour, and ended with [Sen. Joe] Lieberman saying, 'Mr. Brown, I thank you very much. I will certainly support your nomination. I will do my best to move it through the committee as soon as possible so we can have you fully and legally at work in your new position.'"

[b]The hearing was for Brown's nomination as FEMA deputy director - but apparently Brown didn't have to be re-confirmed when he became director.[b]

Brown had the blessing of the Democrats in congress as the time when his nomination for FEMA's Deputy Director slot...... Amazing how at the time, he was praised.....
NO URLS in signature

satx

Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:02 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 29):
one thing I have never understood is people who take one side of an argument and refuse to budge, even when presented with such things as facts and fluid situations.

IMO, Bush has already dug such a deep hole in his credibility that it's going to take a Herculean effort to ever regain even a shred of respect in my eyes. He's surrounded himself with yes men and yes women and that's one of the best ways to lose whatever nimbleness you ever had.

Then again, I never thought of him as much more than a southerner-friendly front puppet anyway. The onus is on the President to prove his worth. Katrina could have been a major victory for the POTUS, but instead he let nature and bureaucracy take their course and fell flat on his ass. So you watch a guy fall on his ass and he admits to it. What's there to admit to? We all watched it happen in front of our very own eyes for Pete's sake!

IMO, you only get credit when you admit to something everybody did NOT already know.

B744F

Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:04 am

Quoting Sidewinder (Reply 34):

You don't have to have a hatred of Republicans to realize what a joke this entire administration has been from day 1 when the 'states rights' advocates demanded a federal overpowering to put him in office.

sidewinder

Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:24 am

Quoting B744F (Reply 37):
You don't have to have a hatred of Republicans to realize what a joke this entire administration has been from day 1 when the 'states rights' advocates demanded a federal overpowering to put him in office.

Well what about the previous administration??? I heard very clearly on national TV "I did not have sexual relations with that women" or something very similar to that.
If you don't like this country or its leaders you are free to leave at any time. Wonderful thing freedom is!
"I don't think I will ever get over Macho Grande"

Superfly

Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:25 am

MidnightMike:
So it's all the Democrats fault after all.  Yeah sure
Perhaps the Democrats gave Bush too much credit and assumed Bush properly did his homework. Perhaps there was no 'dirt' on Michael Brown but there was also no experience either.

Quoting Sidewinder (Reply 34):

That was so cute, yet so simple minded. Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

rsmith6621a

Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:28 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 1):
This was bound to happen. He's going to focus on fixing the problems found, but I wonder what others here are going to say?

I Say It's All Spin and C.Y.A

Bush is trying to reduce the possibility of a Bi-Partisan investigation that could in essence find evidence of criminal wrong doing such as the Brown appointment and his falsified credentials.They knew Brown wasnt qualified.

Senator Kerry made the following statement earlier today....

“This Administration still hasn’t figured out the difference between spin and leadership. The President has done the obvious, only after it was clear he couldn’t get away with the inexcusable.

Awaiting link to be posted......
Did You Ever Think Freedom Could Be this Bad

We're Nuts

Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:36 am

Quoting Dan-Air (Reply 12):
looking at the poll numbers, Bush has only one way to go, and that's up.

You got it. He has no more elections and plenty of room to experiment with things that make his numbers go up and down. Not that it should even matter - he stays president regardless. It's like a game, unless he screws up the mid-terms, but that might be a foregone conclusion anyway.
Dear moderators: No.

clickhappy

Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:38 am

So if Kerry would have been POTUS then none of this would have happened?

Come on man, that is wrong. Almost as wrong as you hanging out at ice skating events..

Mir

Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:38 am

There are two stages to admitting an error. First is admitting that it was made. Second is taking action to either made amends for that error, or to prevent that error from ever happening again.

Bush has, amazingly, done the first of those stages. I have to admit that I thought it would never happen, especially when he was talking about how he didn't want to play the "blame game" last week.

It's going to be hard to made amends for the poor response, but things can be done to stop it from happening again. It will be interesting to see what he does (not only what he says he'll do) to further that aim. So he's not quite out of the woods yet.

But I do have to give the man credit where it's due. He admitted an error. I should add, however, that the fact that we are all excited about him admitting error for the first time, more than four years into his presidency, and after so many other obvious errors, is pretty sad.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

AeroWesty

Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:40 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 42):

At least we wouldn't have had someone in charge of FEMA who even failed at judging horses.

We're Nuts

Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:44 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 44):
At least we wouldn't have had someone in charge of FEMA who even failed at judging horses.

Could have been worse. I heard Kerry and Cfalk were college dorm mates.  Wink
Dear moderators: No.

dan-air

Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:45 am

So FEMA is a joke under Bush then, eh 7E7? I Agree.

Clinton appointed James Lee Witt as head of FEMA, a man with 4 years emergency management experience in Arkansas.

Bush appointed a failed lawyer/horse show overseer with zero emergence management experience.

Can you see that difference in management styles there 7E7? One president recognizes that it's important to have experience at the helm; with Bush - well let's face it, Bush didn't have too much experience of leading anything himself did he - and man ain't that plain for all to see now!

rsmith6621a

Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:46 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 42):

Is that what you read in Kerrys statement Royal??? it would be nice to hear your reply.
Did You Ever Think Freedom Could Be this Bad

Boeing7E7

Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:48 am

Quoting Dan-Air (Reply 46):
Can you see that difference in management styles there 7E7? One president recognizes that it's important to have experience at the helm; with Bush - well let's face it, Bush didn't have too much experience of leading anything himself did he - and man ain't that plain for all to see now!

FEMA has always been a joke. This is why they are only a backup to state response. They are an aid and logistics agency not a response agency.

[Edited 2005-09-13 22:53:20]

yowza

Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:55 am

Go to www.google.com
Type "failure" into the search box
Hit the "I'm feeling lucky" button

'nuff said.

YOWza