dragon-wings

Help, Computer Fans Making Noise

Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:00 am

Over the last day or 2 the fans (could be just 1) inside my computer tower has been making a grinding type noise. (at least I think it's a fan) Is there anything I can do to stop this noise? (beside replacing the fan. Im not that computer knowledgeable to do that)
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

jfkaua

RE: Help, Computer Fans Making Noise

Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:02 am

Quoting Dragon-wings (Thread starter):
s there anything I can do to stop this noise? (beside replacing the fan. Im not that computer knowledgeable to do that)

It doesnt take any skill as long as its not in the power supply.. Take it off unscrew put a new one in screw close..

JeffM

Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:03 am

Quoting Dragon-wings (Thread starter):
Is there anything I can do to stop this noise?

Yes, place the onoff switch in the OFF position.  Wink should work fine then.

dragon-wings

Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:07 am

Actually I don't really know if it's the fans making the noise. (that was just a guess on my part) This noise comes and goes. Like right now the computer is not making any noise at all.

ANCFlyer

Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:11 am

I'll guess dirty fans . . .

Someone recently posted nearly similar thread/title and turns out the computers innards were covered with dust . . . if it's a desktop, take the cover off and grab a can of air . . . I know, crazy huh - air in a can - and blow the inside free of dust. You can do the same with a laptop through the fan vents and other openings . . . I do not recommend cracking the case on a laptop though, might nullify your warranty.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

B744F

Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:12 am

a loud noise means your power supply is dying

satx

Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:13 am

It's usually the CPU fan, and yes, it can take a little skill to replace depending on the setup. You can also try to blow out all the dust on and around the fan blades. If it's NOT mounted on the CPU itself, then you can just smack it with something and see if that makes the noise go away for a while.  Big grin

Otherwise, just get somebody who knows about computers to take a look. Case fans cost $5-10 here and CPU fans are $10-25 dollars for basic models. Special models will cost more of course.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

satx

Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:20 am

Quoting B744F (Reply 5):

That is by no means accurate. A loud noise could come from any number of devices such as fans, hard drives, CD/DVD drives, etc. In fact, anything with moving parts can make a loud noise. Even motherboards with tiny little diagnostic speakers can make loud noises.

dragon-wings

Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:30 am

Well I just cleaned the inside of the computer on Sunday so I don't think it's because of dust. (unless I missed some spots)

eilennaei

Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:48 pm

You can decide whether it's the power supply fan by gently pushing a piece of cardboad (no metal, please [signed, next of kin]) through the aperture of the power supply at the back. If the sound disappears as you block the fan, it was the power supply fan, which by regulations you can't replace yourself but need to buy a new power suppy. With the other fans the computer store is able to help you. The smaller ones on the video cards may be a bit hard to find.

FLYtoEGCC

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:17 am

Fans do get like that after a while. There's no harm in taking the case cover off and touching the hub of the fan gently to see if the noise goes away. Either the motor could be on its way out or a bearing could have come loose. Either way, they're not that expensive, particularly if it's a case fan - and you could probably replace it yourself, it is just a matter of unscrewing your old one and fitting a new one (as long as you don't have to remove other parts to get to it.)
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

BigOrange

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:04 am

I had the same problem, but it went away itself eventually, unless the fan has given up completely!

TedTAce

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:16 am

Quoting B744F (Reply 5):

And you have been supporting computers for how many years?!?!  Yeah sure

If you can clean the fan out and it makes a diference, great, if not try to replace it, before it allows somethng else to cook.
This space intentionally left blank

satx

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:15 am

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 8):
Well I just cleaned the inside of the computer on Sunday so I don't think it's because of dust. (unless I missed some spots)

You probably just need to replace one of the fans. Opening the case and then turning on the computer should make it pretty easy to figure out which one it is.