tbar220

Senate Votes No On Independent Katrina Comission

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:03 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050914/...u=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Senate Kills Bid for Katrina Commission

By LARA JAKES JORDAN, Associated Press Writer 21 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Senate Republicans on Wednesday scuttled an attempt by Sen.
Hillary Clinton to establish an independent, bipartisan panel patterned after the 9/11 Commission to investigate what went wrong with federal, state and local governments' response to Hurricane Katrina.

The New York Democrat's bid to establish the panel — which would have also made recommendations on how to improve the government's disaster response apparatus — failed to win the two-thirds majority needed to overcome procedural hurdles. Clinton got only 44 votes, all from Democrats and independent Sen. Jim Jeffords of Vermont. Fifty-four Republicans all voted no.

Well what do you think? I find it despicable. I think every single Senator, I mean unanimous vote, 100-0 should support this investgation. This would investigate all levels, not just the federal government. Why are the Republicans so opposed to this? Why would an investigation into a national disaster be a partisan issue?

I'm thoroughly dissapointed. And slightly pissed too...
NO URLS in signature

Superfly

RE: Senate Votes No On Independent Katrina Comission

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:05 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Thread starter):
I find it despicable. I think every single Senator, I mean unanimous vote, 100-0

Agreed!

They just hate Hillary Clinton and don't want more errors at the federal level exposed.
Bring back the Concorde

MidnightMike

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:08 am

Well what do you think? I find it despicable. I think every single Senator, I mean unanimous vote, 100-0 should support this investgation

You mean that you want to see an Independent Katrina Comission, there will be an investigation, but, it looks like it will be internal.

An Independent Comission is more costly & takes more time, we need this done in a quick & timely matter, to see where the communication broke down between City/State & Federal...
NO URLS in signature

ANCFlyer

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:11 am

I'm thoroughly dissapointed.

Agreed.

Although I think the Congress and Senate get their panties in a wad over way too many things and stick their noses into crap they need to leave alone this is one case I'd like to see them actually get something done.

Why would an investigation into a national disaster be a partisan issue?

No offense TBar, but that's a stupid question. EVERYTHING done in DC these days is a Partisan Effort. When was the last time you saw those nutjobs in DC actually carry out any effort of consequence in a bi-partisan manner? Other than approving the $$$ for Katrina relief - in short order - it simply won't happen.

If they decide the change brands of shit paper in the Congressional Lavatory, there'd be a partisan argument about which brand was softer, and just how many squares should be used for each swipe!
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

tbar220

RE: Senate Votes No On Independent Katrina Comissi

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:12 am

MM,

Why vote no on this vote? This vote was for a Bi-Partisan Independent Commission. Tell me why ANY senator should vote against this. Why should anybody care how expensive or how long it takes? I want a thorough investigation/commission, I don't care how long it takes. This can't be done quickly or cheaply.

ANC,

Wrong question. I meant to ask, "Why should a VOTE on an independent comission become a partisan issue?" I will say that I believe that the Democrats made the right vote on this issue, and the Republicans didn't. This shouldn't be a partisan issue, it should be a moral issue.

[Edited 2005-09-14 21:14:13]
NO URLS in signature

ANCFlyer

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:17 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 4):
I will say that I believe that the Democrats made the right vote on this issue, and the Republicans didn't. This shouldn't be a partisan issue, it should be a moral issue.

checkmark  Agreed . . . 100%
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

MidnightMike

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:19 am

Tbar220

Why? The reason why you have an Independent Commission is to see where things went wrong & how to correct them. The problem was isolated to New Orleans, States that have had disasters before, did not experience the numerous problems that took place in New Orleans.

So, if you want it done quickly, keep it internal
If you want some heads, go for the Independent commission..... (An independent commission would probably take over a year)

If Florida, California, & other States all had the same problem, I would be behind an Independent commission.......

I do not want what happened in New Orleans to happen again, watching those people suffer was truly sad, nobody should ever have to suffer like that again, no matter what the reason.......
NO URLS in signature

TedTAce

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:21 am

More ammunition for the Dem's and Hillary  vomit  in '08
This space intentionally left blank

MidnightMike

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:22 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 4):
will say that I believe that the Democrats made the right vote on this issue, and the Republicans didn't. This shouldn't be a partisan issue, it should be a moral issue.

Partisan? You're damn right both sides were partisan, 100% of the Democrats & 100% of the Republicans voted on party lines, yes, both sides were partisan....
NO URLS in signature

tbar220

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:22 am

Quoting MidnightMike (Reply 6):
The reason why you have an Independent Commission is to see where things went wrong & how to correct them. The problem was isolated to New Orleans, States that have had disasters before, did not experience the numerous problems that took place in New Orleans.

#1. The comission was going to investigate federal, state, and local response. Are you going to deny that there were failures on all levels to respond properly to the disaster in New Orleans?

#2. I can't think of a disaster of this scale that has happened to other cities or states. We're talking about an entire urban city of over half a million people practically destroyed.

#3. You still didn't answer my question, why oppose an investigation into what went wrong? Are you afraid that failures on the federal level will be revealed (as if they haven't already been)? This would have investigated local and state, as well as federal.
NO URLS in signature

B744F

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:32 am

Reminds me of the same people who fought for the longest time against a 9-11 commission.

tbar220

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:34 am

B744F,

Amazingly, public pressure made them eventually have a comission on 9-11. 70% of the U.S. (in a recent poll, link in original post) support this sort of investigation. Now a majority of the people want this kind of comission, and the majority of the Senate (all the Republicans) oppose it. Make what you want from that.
NO URLS in signature

MidnightMike

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:35 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 9):
1. The comission was going to investigate federal, state, and local response. Are you going to deny that there were failures on all levels to respond properly to the disaster in New Orleans?

There were problems, I never said there was not....

. I can't think of a disaster of this scale that has happened to other cities or states. We're talking about an entire urban city of over half a million people practically destroyed.

We know why, the leevys broke.....

You still didn't answer my question, why oppose an investigation into what went wrong? Are you afraid that failures on the federal level will be revealed (as if they haven't already been)? This would have investigated local and state, as well as federal.

There is no reason why an investigation can not be done internally, (2 Democrats, 2 Republicans)

I fully support an investigation, as for an External one, I feell that is not necessary, but, if one was voted upon, I would have no objections.....
NO URLS in signature

MidnightMike

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:39 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 11):
B744F,

Amazingly, public pressure made them eventually have a comission on 9-11. 70% of the U.S. (in a recent poll, link in original post) support this sort of investigation. Now a majority of the people want this kind of comission, and the majority of the Senate (all the Republicans) oppose it. Make what you want from that.

9/11 was a totally different story, it was not just the attack on the World Trade Center but the problems with the US intelligence agency's.
NO URLS in signature

dl021

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:40 am

Can someone tell us the difference between having Congress do this and having some ex-Senators/Congressmen or women do this?

Seriously....is this a tempest in a teapot? Are the dems looking to create an air of further distrust? Do they not trust themselves to do the job?

Or is this simply a tactic to create an issue for the midterm elections?
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Superfly

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:41 am

Had this bill been sponsored by Byron Dorgan or Peter Dominici, this thread wouldn't have 15 replys already in just 30 minutes.
Hillary Clinton sure stirs up a lot of passion on the right.
Bring back the Concorde

B744F

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:43 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 11):

You really don't know all the barriers put in place by the administration to make sure the 9-11 Commission could not do its job on time and correctly? Regarding budgets, releasing information, etc. And this is after they fought tooth and nail in the first place to create the commission, then GWB appointed a criminal to head the thing.

travelin man

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:49 am

I would like an investigation into why someone with NO experience in disaster management was appointed by GWB to lead a Federal DISASTER RESPONSE agency.

I though GWB was supposed to be "CEO in Chief", and make up for his incompetence by surrounding himself with competent people. Didn't quite happen in this case.

MidnightMike

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:59 am

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 17):
would like an investigation into why someone with NO experience in disaster management was appointed by GWB to lead a Federal DISASTER RESPONSE agency.

I though GWB was supposed to be "CEO in Chief", and make up for his incompetence by surrounding himself with competent people. Didn't quite happen in this case.

Then you would have to investigate Congress as well as the President......
NO URLS in signature

B744F

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:01 am

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 17):
"CEO in Chief"

Do you not know his sucess as a real CEO?

travelin man

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:05 am

Quoting MidnightMike (Reply 18):

Agreed, Congress shares some of the blame for approving (rubberstamping) this guy. But that still does not explain why GWB even nominated him for the position.

MidnightMike

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:11 am

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 20):
Quoting MidnightMike (Reply 18):

Agreed, Congress shares some of the blame for approving (rubberstamping) this guy. But that still does not explain why GWB even nominated him for the position.

He was not rubberstamped, Senator Joe Lieberman gave him high praises, which sounds more than a rubber stamp.....
NO URLS in signature

DLKAPA

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:13 am

Why are the Republicans so opposed to this?

Because they're trying to cover their own asses.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

travelin man

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:13 am

Quoting MidnightMike (Reply 21):
He was not rubberstamped, Senator Joe Lieberman gave him high praises, which sounds more than a rubber stamp.....

So I will ask AGAIN: Why did GWB nominate a guy with NO PRACTICAL DISASTER MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE????

MidnightMike

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:19 am

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 23):
Quoting MidnightMike (Reply 21):

So I will ask AGAIN: Why did GWB nominate a guy with NO PRACTICAL DISASTER MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE????

I have no idea, but, whatever he saw, obviously Congress saw the same thing. Without knowing more about the person, I have no comment. I realize that the media have been having a field day, but, to be honest, I have no answer.....
NO URLS in signature

Superfly

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:27 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 14):
Can someone tell us the difference between having Congress do this and having some ex-Senators/Congressmen or women do this?

Seriously....is this a tempest in a teapot? Are the dems looking to create an air of further distrust? Do they not trust themselves to do the job?

This mismanagement at the federal level of this major catastophy warrants an independant investigation more so than say....Whitewater.
Wasn't that a 'mid-term' election issue in 1994?
Bring back the Concorde

ANCFlyer

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:14 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 25):
This mismanagement at the federal level of this major catastophy warrants an independant investigation more so than say....

Are you ever going to admit Superfly, that there exists catastrophic screw ups at all levels here? Local, State and Federal? If you've done so, I missed it in all your Bush Bashing, if you haven't I'd like to know why?

Do you not think the local and state governments in New Orleans (and environs) and Louisiana share the fault for their failure to adequately prepare their cities and parishes for Katrina?

tbar220

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:19 am

Quoting MidnightMike (Reply 12):
We know why, the leevys broke.....

That's not what the investigation would be about. What an asinine statement. The investigation would be on the result of the government on all levels.

Quoting MidnightMike (Reply 12):
I fully support an investigation, as for an External one, I feell that is not necessary, but, if one was voted upon, I would have no objections.....

So they had a vote. Republicans shot it down. Are you against the investigation proposed in the senate?

DL021,

Are you against this sort of investigation? Why should any senator vote against it? The article says:

WASHINGTON - Senate Republicans on Wednesday scuttled an attempt by Sen.
Hillary Clinton to establish an independent, bipartisan panel patterned after the 9/11 Commission to investigate what went wrong with federal, state and local governments' response to Hurricane Katrina.

The New York Democrat's bid to establish the panel � which would have also made recommendations on how to improve the government's disaster response apparatus � failed to win the two-thirds majority needed to overcome procedural hurdles. Clinton got only 44 votes, all from Democrats and independent Sen. Jim Jeffords of Vermont. Fifty-four Republicans all voted no.

Now, why should anybody be against this sort of investigation?
NO URLS in signature

iakobos

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:28 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 27):

Just an idea.....such a commission would need 9-12 months (my guess).
This places the conclusions and public issuance at what point in time ?

tbar220

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:41 am

Quoting Iakobos (Reply 28):
Just an idea.....such a commission would need 9-12 months (my guess).

I don't know how long it would take. If it was 9-12 months, would you be against it? Personally, I wouldn't. What needs to be done needs to be done.

Also, I don't understand your question.
NO URLS in signature

ANCFlyer

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:56 am

Quoting Iakobos (Reply 28):

Dec 2006/Jan 2007 I would guess, given your timeline. Unless some priority was placed on them to get it done, and get it done now, and of course depending on the level of cooperation.

Given this Commission should investigate ALL levels of government in this fiasco it would take come time. Further, given the number of players to be examined - Brown, Chertoff, Blanco, Nagin, name a few - it couldn't be done quickly or haphazardly.

tbar220

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:17 am

Ok, ANC made sense of the question for me.
NO URLS in signature

Superfly

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:20 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 26):
Do you not think the local and state governments in New Orleans (and environs) and Louisiana share the fault for their failure to adequately prepare their cities and parishes for Katrina?

Sorry for only pointing out federal as this investigation would have exposed mis-management at the local level too. Even Senator Mary Landrieu voted in favor of thise which would have revealed neglect by Blanco and Nagin IF there was any to be found.
Bring back the Concorde

ANCFlyer

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:41 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 32):
Sorry for only pointing out federal as this investigation would have exposed mis-management at the local level too. Even Senator Mary Landrieu voted in favor of thise which would have revealed neglect by Blanco and Nagin IF there was any to be found.

That isn't the question I asked you Superfly . . . I didn't ask you who voted for/against it . . . it was a partyline vote . . .

I asked you:

Are you ever going to admit Superfly, that there exists catastrophic screw ups at all levels here? Local, State and Federal?

b757300

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:43 am

Because this way they can pull another 9/11 Commission and play CYA while trying to do the usual "Blame Bush" game.

Expect one of the main DNC talking points in 2006 is blaming the President and Republicans for the hurricane.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

Superfly

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:44 am

ANCFlyer:
I already told you in a roundabout way.
Bring back the Concorde

AeroWesty

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:52 am

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 23):

Well, he did, sorta. Except he lied about that part on his resume.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1103003,00.html

Before joining FEMA, his only previous stint in emergency management, according to his bio posted on FEMA's website, was "serving as an assistant city manager with emergency services oversight." The White House press release from 2001 stated that Brown worked for the city of Edmond, Okla., from 1975 to 1978 "overseeing the emergency services division." In fact, according to Claudia Deakins, head of public relations for the city of Edmond, Brown was an "assistant to the city manager" from 1977 to 1980, not a manager himself, and had no authority over other employees. "The assistant is more like an intern," she told TIME. "Department heads did not report to him."
International Homo of Mystery

ANCFlyer

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:53 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 35):

I'm a simple guy, really . . .

Direct answers are best . . .

Especially in this case, since, my friend, I've seen your posts regarding this and not one of them have I seen you take Nagin or Blanco to task for anything.

Mary Landrieu didn't vote YES because she thought there'd by anything untoward discovered in her beloved Louisiana, she did it because of a) Partisan Politics dictated she do so (like a good little freshman Democrat - she got right in line) and b) because she still wants to punch PotUS in the nose.

In a round about way - your answer didn't answer my questions . . .

Wanna give it another shot, or blow me off and move on?  biggrin 

11Bravo

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:06 am

I think you can pretty much count on Katrina and Emergency Response being a national issue with or without an independent commission. I would like to see such a commission and I'm a little surprised at the Republican rejection. I think that's a tactical mistake that a lot of people will see as a cover-up. The GOP would be wise to encourage a non-partisan look at this whole thing to avoid the appearance of impropriety.
WhaleJets Rule!

Superfly

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:09 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 37):
I'm a simple guy, really . . .

Same here. No fuzzy math coming from me.  

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 37):
she did it because of a) Partisan Politics dictated she do so (like a good little freshman Democrat - she got right in line) and b) because she still wants to punch PotUS in the nose.

Incorrect   
Senator Landrieu has voted with the Republicans 74% of the time. Alaska A.net member L-188 can back me up on that too. She is always on the side of big oil companies and her votes are in line with Murkowsky & Stevens when it comes to isses effecting Alaska. She is barely a Democrat. In 2002, she almost lost re-election because Democrats in Lousiana were not thrilled to re-elect her.

[Edited 2005-09-15 01:13:08]
Bring back the Concorde

travelin man

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:13 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 36):
Well, he did, sorta. Except he lied about that part on his resume.

Even if what he wrote in his resume was true, somehow it seems to me that being the "assistant city manager of emergency services oversight" of freaking Edmond Oklahoma in the late 1970s should NOT qualify you to head the federal government agency for emergency response.

But I guess he was head of the horse show, so that qualifies him.

If Time magazine could do a little research about the accuracy of the guy's resume in a week, I find it difficult to believe that GWB's team couldn't do the same thing. And if they didn't CARE about that, to me that says FAR more about GWB than Michael Brown.

But then again, maybe GWB really thought God was on "his side", and thus there would be no natural disasters during his term.

dl021

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:18 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 25):
This mismanagement at the federal level of this major catastophy warrants an independant investigation more so than say....Whitewater.
Wasn't that a 'mid-term' election issue in 1994?

Not answering the question. No one has said there should not be an inquiry into the response...some sort of AAR and suggestions for improvement are necessary after any action....especially one as large as this one.

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 27):

Who said they are against an investigation? Why are the dems asking for an "Independent Commission"? Did they not spaz out the last couple of times this happened?

Quoting B757300 (Reply 34):
Because this way they can pull another 9/11 Commission and play CYA while trying to do the usual "Blame Bush" game.

OK...well at least someone offered an answer.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 35):
ANCFlyer:

I wish you'd tell him directly so I don't have to guess.

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 38):
I think you can pretty much count on Katrina and Emergency Response being a national issue with or without an independent commission.

I think it already is. I for one really want to see the results of an investigation/inquiry.

I would like to see such a commission and I'm a little surprised at the Republican rejection

Why? Did they not say there should be one from Congress?

think that's a tactical mistake that a lot of people will see as a cover-up

That's a definite possibility, especially with the left....

The GOP would be wise to encourage a non-partisan look at this whole thing to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

I'd say that the people appointed are going to have to come from both sides of the aisle. Independent or not, there's always politics and gamesmanship. An honest commission is just as likely inside the Congress as outside. Who would they choose other than former congressmen and senators?
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

MidnightMike

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:20 am

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 40):
If Time magazine could do a little research about the accuracy of the guy's resume in a week, I find it difficult to believe that GWB's team couldn't do the same thing. And if they didn't CARE about that, to me that says FAR more about GWB than Michael Brown.

But then again, maybe GWB really thought God was on "his side", and thus there would be no natural disasters during his term.

Congress confirmed him, if he was unqualified, guess Congress was fooled as well.

As for Time magazine, if the was not problem in New Orleans, Time magazine would have never conducted any research on his background....
NO URLS in signature

tbar220

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:42 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 41):
Who said they are against an investigation? Why are the dems asking for an "Independent Commission"? Did they not spaz out the last couple of times this happened?

I say they're against an investigation. The unanimous vote against it pretty much says it all to me. I'll ask again. Why should they be against it? Why would you be against it?
NO URLS in signature

travelin man

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:43 am

Quoting MidnightMike (Reply 42):
Congress confirmed him, if he was unqualified, guess Congress was fooled as well.

As for Time magazine, if the was not problem in New Orleans, Time magazine would have never conducted any research on his background....

I understand your efforts to bob and weave and avoid the central question here. However, neither Congress nor Time Magazine nominated the man for FEMA. The fact remains it is up to the President to appoint the most qualified individuals for the job. He did not. Period. Even if the resume wasn't fabricated, in NO WAY does this guy fit the bill to be the head of FEMA. So the question is:
1. Does the President not care about the qualifications of his appointees?
Or
2. He cares but he has horrible judgement about the word "qualified"?
Or
3. He just assumed that there would be no natural disasters during his presidency requiring previous experience with disaster response?
Or
4. This position was a payback to some college drinking buddies?

It sounds more and more like it was #4. Which is really sad. And it should make many Americans angry.

ANCFlyer

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:58 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 39):
Senator Landrieu has voted with the Republicans 74% of the time. Alaska A.net member L-188 can back me up on that too.

That is true - however - that is not the reason Landrieu voted the way she did on this issue. Partisan partyline vote.

Murkowsky

Murkowski . . . not that I care, he's a pinhead.

She is barely a Democrat.

Whaddya know - she's cute and smart too!  rotfl 

Still no answer to my direct questions?

I'll have to keep that in mind when next you pose inquiries of a like nature . . . I will have to prepare a new Superfly Special Emoticon for "Pot, Kettle, Black"  wink 

No fuzzy math coming from me

Not usually, but what ever you ate, drank or smoked (or all of the above) at Burning Man musta got to ya . . .

iakobos

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:59 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 29):
I don't know how long it would take. If it was 9-12 months, would you be against it?

I don't know, frankly I am not aware of these specifics in the US so I have no comment on that (internal or full-sized commission).
But our arithmetics are pretty similar, if one adds 9 months to September 2005 he should find June 2006, 12 months would be September 2006, right ?
If my memory serves well there are some elections planned for...November, correct ?

If I was a Republican US Senator (or a candidate) I would certainly not be thrilled at the prospect to have the dirty laundry put on the table that close to the deadline and give the competition food for their campaign.

Never expect a politician to be truly honest from A to Z...he would not find a party.

Blackbird1331

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:00 am

The guy who is to blame is a lame-duck. The best we can do is learn from past mistakes, as they are doing as hurricane Ophelia churns off the East coast. I hope that american citizens wake up and pay attention to current events, how they affect us, and the importance of how they choose elected officials who will guide us through difficult times.
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

AeroWesty

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:02 am

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 44):
1. Does the President not care about the qualifications of his appointees?

Brown was appointed and confirmed as "Deputy" Director of FEMA, then elevated when the Director left. He did not have to go through a second round of confirmation hearings since FEMA was then under the authority of DHS, and lost its cabinet position.
International Homo of Mystery

11Bravo

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:32 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 41):
I'd say that the people appointed are going to have to come from both sides of the aisle. Independent or not, there's always politics and gamesmanship. An honest commission is just as likely inside the Congress as outside. Who would they choose other than former congressmen and senators?

According to the article in the thread starter and some other discussions I've heard the GOP wants a commission with a Republican majority, and that is blatantly partisan. The GOP will control the staff work and create the witness lists and it will have final say about the content of the report. I think that’s unacceptable, and judging from the recent polls on this subject, I suspect most Americans don’t like that idea much either.

As for potential membership other than former members of Congress, I would think a General Officer or two (particularly USCG), perhaps former FEMA Directors, maybe a former Director of the National Hurricane Center, possibly a retired engineer from the Army Corps of Engineers, maybe a senior officer from the National Interagency Fire Center and/or a Fire Chief from a large metro area, perhaps a Transportation Systems expert.

I would like to see a panel with some emergency management experience.
WhaleJets Rule!