tbar220

Another Reason To Bash Fema

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:33 am

http://www.pnionline.com/dnblog/attytood/archives/002362.html

This is... well, I am left speechless by this story.

NEW ORLEANS – This was just another body in the growing number of bodies that they encounter every day.

A human foot arching at an odd angle was visible through the front window of a locked and dark home.

The National Guard team of searchers was about to call in a "DB," or dead body, at 1927 Lopez St. in the Broadmoor district when Lt. Frederick Fell decided to investigate.

In the past few days, the Federal Emergency Management Agency has ordered searchers not to break into homes. They are supposed to look in through a window and knock on the door. If no one cries out for help, they are supposed to move on. If they see a body, they are supposed to log the address and move on.

The morticians will remove the deceased later.

But Fell broke the rules and ordered his men to bash open the door, launching a series of events that would save a man's life and revitalize California Task Force 5 from Orange County. In the past two days, the 80-member task force had identified seven dead bodies in the same neighborhood, and they had rescued no one.

But Tuesday, 16 days after Hurricane Katrina smacked this aging community in the face, an unconscious and emaciated man identified as Edgar Hollingsworth, 74, was rescued. The man is expected to survive.

Click the link to read the rest of the article.

I don't see the logic behind FEMA telling rescuers to not break into homes to try and rescue people. Shouldn't everything be done to save as many lives as possible?
NO URLS in signature

TedTAce

RE: Another Reason To Bash Fema

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:48 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Thread starter):
I don't see the logic behind FEMA telling rescuers to not break into homes to try and rescue people. Shouldn't everything be done to save as many lives as possible?

You are not allowed to make sense

Signed

The right RIGHT.
This space intentionally left blank

cfalk

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:29 am

I agree, that rule makes no sense. After all the damage and looting that's been done, I think a busted lock is not a big deal.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Superfly

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:36 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 2):
After all the damage and looting that's been done, I think a busted lock is not a big deal.

Give it up man!
Most people were 'finding food' for survival and a tiny handful 'looted' only to find that a big screen TV can't be plugged in nor carried on the bus out of town.
Bring back the Concorde

B744F

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:52 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 2):
After all the damage and looting that's been done

Yes and all the rapists, murders, etc. that were running wild... give me a break

redngold

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:57 am

I saw the picture of Hollingsworth being rescued. The poor guy was emaciated and his skin was hanging off his bones (a sign of dehydration.) I don't know if he was malnourished before the hurricane, but he was certainly very ill by the time they found him.

Go ahead, bash down doors. The people who survive will thank you later.  thumbsup 

redngold
Up, up and away!

airbuzz

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:01 am

Nonsense also for me... This is an emergence!

cfalk

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:03 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 3):
Most people were 'finding food' for survival and a tiny handful 'looted' only to find that a big screen TV can't be plugged in nor carried on the bus out of town.

Quoting B744F (Reply 4):
Yes and all the rapists, murders, etc. that were running wild... give me a break

WTF are you guys talking about? Just like everything else, you seem to be trying to politicise something that does not need it.

The reason for the rule, I expect, is that you cannot enter private property unless you have probable cause. All I'm saying is that I think we can make an exception in this case if there is the chance that someone might be still in there. Simply a temporary change from "probable cause" to "possible cause" is reasonable in this case.

Or do you think they should be left to die in their precious privacy?
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

ltbewr

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:13 am

Part of the problem here is that with so many homes to look at and many days since the storm, the odds of finding someone alive are extemely poor at best may negate spending a lot of time at any one location. I do think they should enter homes where possible to do a cursory inspection, to determine if any bodies are there. Some bodies could be covered in bedding, ended up under homes, in attics, under beds, furniture, cars, collasped parts of buildings and thus still be a health risk as well as not being very diginified to the deceased.

Superfly

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:13 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 7):
Just like everything else, you seem to be trying to politicise something that does not need it.

Ummm, FEMA is a government agency. So of course it's a political issue.
Bring back the Concorde