NWADC9
Topic Author

The Official European "Football" Sucks Thread!

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:07 am

Sorry, Gkirk, but REAL football is king. Your excuse of soccer makes me laugh in boredom. And it's not "football", it's soccer.
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

LFutia

RE: The Official European "Football" Sucks Thread!

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:19 am

f*** off... i enjoy European football!  Smile

Leo...

Btw: I'm lookin forward to the WK2006 in Deutschland... gonna get up nice and early and watch some games and then i'll look shitfaced for school...
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

KiwiNanday

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:22 am

Stupid and ignorant american!

Silly Islamic extremists, it's just a cartoon!

Sabena332

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:27 am

Quoting NWADC9 (Thread starter):
but REAL football is king

Yes, I agree. REAL football.

Wink

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Fly2HMO

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:30 am

Quoting KiwiNanday (Reply 2):

I apologize for on behalf of his ignorance, but at the same time ditto to that.

The US is the only place that I know that calls soccer, soccer. Everywhere else it is football. And the NFL overseas is called american football.

You have every right to say that you don't like european soccer, but don't state the very incorrect assumption that because its called soccer in the US, it is called soccer everywhere else, because you are VERY wrong.

EGGD

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:47 am

European football?

Don't you mean EVERYWHERE BUT the USA FOOTBALL?

Most countries in the world have it as their national sport, who else but the USA plays American Football? Nobody.

Falcon84

Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:24 pm

A bunch of pansies, trotting up and down an oversized field, with a goal every 10 years or so. Yeah, real exciting.

A game that is a organized venue for rioters, thugs, and hoodlums.

I went to a riot one time, by the way, and a soccer game broke out.

Only exciting thing is the Latin announcers yellling "gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll !!!!!!"

Of course, they can say this for two minutes, because they've had several years in between goals to practice the breathing techniques needed to say this for two minutes.

Players get bumped on the shin, and they fall down in a spate of Oscar-winning agony that would do Charlton Heston proud in it's overkill.

Yes, what an exciting sport.....
Work Right, Fly Hard

bhmbaglock

Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:37 pm

I'll go out on a limb and piss both sides off. "American" football and football/"soccer" are both great games! Baseball is by far the most boring and useless waste of time out there(unless maybe you count curling).

Source? My opinion and George Carlin of course.

Oh yeah, cricket too but the Aussie comedian who talks a lot about cricket is funny as hell.
Where are all of my respected members going?

LOT767-300ER

Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:04 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 6):

They probably got bored because a bunch of yanks showed up and it was no challenge  Silly

I went to sit on my couch once with a coke and a bag of chips and baseball and football happened.

solnabo

Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:58 pm

American football to me looks like a bunch of oversized grannys running like crazy on a grassfield with a leatherbag tight to the chest, never see them kick this leatherbag (almost). Sissy IMO

I dont called this football! Period

Micke//SE  twocents 
Airbus SAS - Love them both

pilotaydin

Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:29 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 6):
bunch of pansies, trotting up and down an oversized field, with a goal every 10 years or so. Yeah, real exciting.

A game that is a organized venue for rioters, thugs, and hoodlums.

Only exciting thing is the Latin announcers yellling "gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll !!!!!!"

Of course, they can say this for two minutes, because they've had several years in between goals to practice the breathing techniques needed to say this for two minutes.

Players get bumped on the shin, and they fall down in a spate of Oscar-winning agony that would do Charlton Heston proud in it's overkill.

Yes, what an exciting sport.....

What an exciting game American Football is. First of all...

1. The US army could learn a thing or two about equipment from all the gear those boys wear. If it weren't for their numbers on the jersey, it could be ANYONE under all those protective helmets and pads  Smile

2. The game STOPS, literally, and the entire team is replaced by another set of mysterious jerseyed men. They call it tactics, i call it "hey we're not winning send out the meaner guys!" endless substitution...what a game....

3. Too much bending over. Yes that's right...when they say all that 24, 46, hike stuff, the world can see their rear ends getting their annual tan, now that takes skill to point dead meat up like that  Wink

4. Over sized field ? hahah, have you seen the size of the GOAL in american football? It's like the gap between teeth from someone on Extreme Makeover... how could you miss that thing?! I swear you could kick a field goal drunk...

5. The clock stops for the first down, i mean, how exciting is that? there is no rush, no adrenaline, no sense or urgency to see creative plays, which is why the coach has a huge playbook like the Mir Checklist...who am i kidding Mir's checklist was comprised of dont hit other objects and you'll be goodski.

6. The referee has a mic and he announces to the whole stadium what the issue was when he blew the whistle, we don't do that in SOCCER because the crowds know how to cheer, so no one would hear the ref  Wink

7. No one else in the world wants to take on the sport, because there is real american football, and we call that Rugby.

All jokes aside, i love american football too, i just wanted to get witty on my first post, both sports can be equally boring, just depends on the games ya watch...UF against FSU are my fac yankee games, and the champion's league is my fav football games to watch  Wink
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

gkirk

Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:31 pm

Only in Yankland can there be such a thing as a World Series where only Americans play.
Doesn't that show the ignorance that the Yanks have to the rest of the world?  Wink
Yank "Foot"ball (despite their feet hardly touching the ball ever) is played by overpaid monkeys who are probably drag artists in their spare time  Wink
 stirthepot  duck 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

airbuzz

Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:38 pm

US: Soccer
World: Football

US: Football
World: American football

Enjoy your "football" Big grin

Arniepie

Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:06 pm

What are you lot blabbering about?
Real sports imply that while you are performing there is always a real risk of sudden death or at least serious injury.  box   fight 

All the rest can only be qualified as games or hobby's or a nice clean way to pass some time.
 biggrin   biggrin   biggrin 
[edit post]

Rj111

Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:41 pm

Boring? pah!

Orion737

Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:11 pm

Just wish some of the FOOTBALLERS sucked!

highpeaklad

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:08 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 15):
Just wish some of the FOOTBALLERS sucked!

I think you'll find that some of them do, they just keep very quiet about it.
lol

Chris
Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - bring them down to your level !

highpeaklad

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:11 pm

Compare two games - one where you kick a ball around using your foot, one where you run around a field holding an egg shaped object throwing it about and kicking it now and again. Which one would you call football?

Je repose ma valise as they say in France!

lol

Chris
Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - bring them down to your level !

GLAGAZ

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:17 pm

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 14):
Boring? pah!

Despite being a fanatical Rangers fan you could just watch that Bergkamp goal over and over and still not work out how he did it.

Its about time FIFA/UEFA and the English FA made the premiership really exciting and let Rangers and Celtic join the league.

Gaz
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

ZRH

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:50 pm

Quoting NWADC9 (Thread starter):
And it's not "football", it's soccer

As already said millions of times the US are the only who call football soccer. In the rest of the world it is football. I am always wondering why the US football is called football? They have the so called ball, which is actually an egg, most of times in their hands. Only very seldom they kick with the foot. It should be called handball.

KROC

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:55 pm

How is this different from GKirks American Football Sucks thread? Funny a dumbass is calling someone else stupid and ignorant.

Falcon84

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:08 pm

And out of the thousdands of soccer games played, those are the best highlights? Uh, OK. You can have an all-day highlight reel every week with great plays in U.S. college or pro football.

Soccer sucks. Sorry if those of you who like that don't like OUR view of it. If you enjoy it, that's fine. But most Americans don't. Deal with it.

Quoting ZRH (Reply 19):
I am always wondering why the US football is called football?

Because your game has always been called "soccer" in the U.S. So we called our "football" to differentiate it. That easy enough for you?

Quoting ZRH (Reply 19):
It should be called handball.

DUH! Already a sport by that name.

Maybe we should just call soccer "Santctioned Rioting" to keep it simple.
Work Right, Fly Hard

garnetpalmetto

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:16 pm

Quoting ZRH (Reply 19):
I am always wondering why the US football is called football

The Oxford English Dictionary (the definitive dictionary of the English language defines football as: "An open-air game played with this ball by two sides, each of which endeavours to kick or convey the ball to the goal at the opposite end of the field. Soccer is thus one type of football, along with rugby and football.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

gkirk

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:58 pm

American Football should just be renamed EggBall  Wink

Falcon84

Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:10 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 23):
American Football should just be renamed EggBall

That's fine, and we'll rename soccer "Rioting". That's a fair tradeoff.
Work Right, Fly Hard

gkirk

Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:58 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 24):
That's fine, and we'll rename soccer "Rioting". That's a fair tradeoff.

From now on, the USA shall be called Canada South. How's that? And your president will be....wait for it.... SeaLion Dion  Wink
 duck 
Signed, The Rest of the World

garnetpalmetto

Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:51 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 25):
From now on, the USA shall be called Canada South. How's that?

That's peachy. And Scotland shall heretofore be known as "England North."  Silly
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

Basas

Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:40 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 4):
The US is the only place that I know that calls soccer, soccer. Everywhere else it is football. And the NFL overseas is called american football.

Quoting ZRH (Reply 19):
As already said millions of times the US are the only who call football soccer. In the rest of the world it is football

What about Canada? Do we not count all of a sudden? We call it Soccer too! Football is, to us, what "American Football" is to you Europeans. And I can't think of too many people who are fans of soccer. The CFL on the other hand, is the biggest Canadian sports league.

USAFHummer

Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:45 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 11):
Only in Yankland can there be such a thing as a World Series where only Americans play.

Not so fast, buddy!

Signed,
Toronto (CANADA) Blue Jays - 1993 World Series Champs
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

scbriml

Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:29 pm

Damn, there's enough hot air in these football threads to fill a hot-air balloon.

So which of these versions of football is the Worlds biggest sport?  scratchchin 

Just to add to the "football" debate, anyone who knows anything about sport will know that rugby is also called football.  crazy 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

IAH777

Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:33 pm

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 28):
Toronto (CANADA) Blue Jays - 1993 World Series Champs

...and every Latin American, Korean, Japanese, etc player in the League.

Thorben

Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:51 pm

RJ111, you clearly seem to be an Arsenal fan. I like the goal by Henry. It reminds me of the one Lampard did against Bayern last season. But in his case he lifted the ball over himself, turned 180 degrees and hammered it in. And I think he stopped it with the chest.

Besides, why is Football more boring than American Football? In American Football, they need five minutes of discussion before they do ten seconds of the game. How exciting is that??  bored 
France 1789; Eastern Germany 1989; Tunisia 2011; Egypt 2011

bananaboy

Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:09 pm

Over 200 countries have competed for the Football World Cup.

If American Football is such an amazing game, how come it isn't taking the world by storm? Although the US chose not to compete in the previous AF World Cups, only 4 teams took part in the last one.

Real exciting and popular sport, clearly.  sarcastic 

You keep your "football"... at least you get to see some interesting commercials every 30 seconds when the players stop for a rest.

Having said all of that, I think that football can be an exciting game (although I don't care for it much) but have never been given a good reason as to why some fans are such morons. It only allows Americans to taint the whole game with their bad behaviour.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

Falcon84

Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:44 pm

Quoting BananaBoY (Reply 32):
It only allows Americans to taint the whole game with their bad behaviour.

ROTFL! THEIR bad behavior? When Soccer Fan is, normally, a convicted hoodlum? Pot--->Kettle----->VERY black.

Funniest statement I've read in ages.
Work Right, Fly Hard

gkirk

Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:36 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 33):
ROTFL! THEIR bad behavior? When Soccer Fan is, normally, a convicted hoodlum? Pot--->Kettle----->VERY black.

Funniest statement I've read in ages.

And American Football fans are all fat, burger munching  old  gits  Wink

BMIFlyer

Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:52 am

American Football = Rugby with "Body Armour!"

Nuff Said,

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

corey07850

Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:18 am

Boring? pah!

It would be interesting if they scored more than once a game...

Anyone see the episode of the Simpsons where they had a football (soccer) match in Springfield? "Center passes it to the halfback, who passes it to the center, who passes it to the halfback, etc etc"... The crowd gets bored and riots... funny stuff

mdsh00

Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:41 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 35):

Except Rugby players are much smaller than Ameican Football players. more mass + speed = more damage. The fact that injuries happen with padding means that it is a dangerous sport.

From Wikipedia..

Quote:
An average of about eight players die each year in the United States as a result of injuries received in games at all levels. Concussions are common, with an estimated 40,000 suffered every year among high school players [1]. National Football League now collects benchmark measures of awareness for each player, which can be used during a game to judge whether he has been concussed.

Injuries sustained by football players often are permanent. Many former football players experience pain, sometimes severe, that lasts for the rest of their lives. Many players require surgery, even multiple surgeries, for injuries experienced years earlier.

Quoting BananaBoY (Reply 32):
If American Football is such an amazing game, how come it isn't taking the world by storm? Although the US chose not to compete in the previous AF World Cups, only 4 teams took part in the last one.

Real exciting and popular sport, clearly.

You keep your "football"... at least you get to see some interesting commercials every 30 seconds when the players stop for a rest.

Such hostilities! I honestly don't think the US cares if it doesn't take "the rest of the world by storm." The fact is that WE like it and it's here to stay. I've found that many people who criticize it don't really understand the game.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Falcon84

Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:44 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 35):

The games have a few similarities, but have a lot of differences. The one big difference is the size of the athletes. The NFL-hell, the colleges, have offensive linemen who are 6'7", and way 330lbs, and can run a 4.5 40 yard dash. You don't have guys that size in rugby.

I urge our European friends to look up the history of the NFL and of football in general. Go back to the past-the 1920's, through, oh, around the mid 1950's, and you'll see at one time, football players had very little "armor" as BMI says. They had leather "helmets", almost no padding of any kind. Why? Two reasons: the technology wasn't there, and the players, in all honesty, weren't that big. Come the late 40's and early 50's, the size of the players started to increase greatly, and, the actual need for padding was evident. By the 70's, with the size and speed of the players light years ahead of their 1940 bretheren, unless you wanted someone killed, technology in helmets and padding had advance greatly, which has cut down on the possibility of severe injury.

I know our Euro and Aussie friends think it pansy stuff, but it really isn't. These guys play 20 weeks, and beat the shit out their bodies every sunday. If the padding is so pansy-like, account for the fact that there's s till very serious injuries, like broken legs, torn ACL's, severe concussions and the like?

You guys may not like it, but your players certainly don't have the size of the players in major college Amerian football nor the NFL. And, for the most part, neither to they have the sheer speed these players have, with all respect.

Unfortunately, you're as ignorant about American football as many of you think Yanks are ignorant about soccer. And, sorry to say, most Americans, beyond the high school or college game, simply find it boring and not worth our while.

If you like it fine-that's not our fault.  Smile
Work Right, Fly Hard

aa61hvy

Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:57 am

Watching it and playing it are two different things. But I know everyone on here has played both football and rugby  sarcastic 

Football is hard as hell, rugby is also very hard. Comparing the two is apples to oranges. You can't throw the ball forward in rugby, you can in football. You can't block the shit out of someone in rugby, you can in football. In football you can be hit at almost any point in the game. Rugby you cannot. This is a pissing match conversation. Grow up
Go big or go home

silverfox

Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:01 am

To lighten this up

A joke

Two guys in the golf club changing room, 1 Brit, 1 yank.
Yank bends over and brot notices he has a cork up his arse.
'excuse me but do you know there is a cork stuck in your arse?

Yep, sure do, its permanent.

Permanent?

Yes. The other week i was walking along the tround and kicked an old lamp, ans out comes a genie. 'You can make one wish . anything you like and it is your she says'

'No Shit' i replied

And both games are equally as good, but baseball???????????????????

Jalto27R

Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:45 am

First off; how is this any different then GKirk's thread?
Secondly; Any other graphics you'd like to shove up your a$$?

Mike

smitten

Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:58 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 33):

Funniest statement I've read in ages

Falcon84
Let me make it a little clearer...

What I meant by my statement was that despite the fact that violence at a game is (seemingly) getting rarer, it still makes the news. I am not sure the impression you have of the sport, as "non-followers," is entirely representative given the popularity and number of matches played week in week out. Sure there are horror stories, but still.....

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 37):
Such hostilities! I honestly don't think the US cares if it doesn't take "the rest of the world by storm." The fact is that WE like it and it's here to stay. I've found that many people who criticize it don't really understand the game.

Who is hostile? Not I? Maybe I should have added a "  box  " or two.. or even " sarcasm  / endsarcasm " Will remember for next time.  Wink

Mark

QANTASforever

Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:05 am

Quoting Airbuzz (Reply 12):
US: Soccer

Australia also calls it Soccer.

But seriously - you call that a sport? THIS is a sport:

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

IngemarE

Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:24 pm

Quoting ArniePie (Reply 13):
Real sports imply that while you are performing there is always a real risk of sudden death or at least serious injury.

Was in Ireland once, Cork to be more precise. Back in '96. Went to see a game of Hurling (Cork vs Limerick)! Now there's a sport for real men!! Big grin
That was fun.

European or American Football are equally boring to me. I'd rather sit outside my house and watch the grass grow.....or paint a wall and watch the paint dry.  stirthepot 
In thrust I trust.

EGTESkyGod

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:38 pm

Right then!

What the US/Australia call Soccer, is Football. You use your feet nearly all of the time.

What the US call "Football", is "American Football", that's what they've called it. They hardly use their feet, but if they wanna call it football, let them.

What we all call Australian Rules Football, the Aussies call "Aussie Rules" or "footy". They also sometimes use their feet.

Rugby is also known as Rugby Football, but at least they shortened it to just Rugby. They also sometimes use their feet.

If they were to strip these sports of their names, and re-allocate the name "Football" to any one of them, I think they'd pick the one where the foot is used the most. So what the aussies/yanks now know as soccer, would then be known as the one true Football.

It really doesn't matter what they're known as.

IMHO Cricket is the best sport. (I'm about to hear about 100 reasons people won't agree with me, I'm sure.)

It makes me so pleased that England winning the Ashes has meant in recent months Cricket seems to have overtaken Football in popularity, especially after England's football teams embarrassing defeat to Northern Ireland. I'm sure we won't hear much about the winter tour to Pakistan though, and the Premiership will be at the front of the TV schudules again. COME ON SPURS!!!!
I came, I saw, I Concorde! RIP Michael Jackson

MD-90

Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:21 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 23):
American Football should just be renamed EggBall

Why not, we have an Egg Bowl, where the teams compete for the Golden Egg (trophy with a gold football on top).

Basas

Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:15 am

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 45):
What the US/Australia call Soccer, is Football.

Forgetting Canada again?

fumanchewd

Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:03 pm

Quoting ZRH (Reply 19):
As already said millions of times the US are the only who call football soccer. In the rest of the world it is football. I am always wondering why the US football is called football?

Don't blame us its the fricking Brits who called it soccer.

We have to thank the students of the 1880s for the word "soccer". It
seems it was the practice amonst the well bred students of Oxford to
abbreviate words whilst adding "er" to the end; "brekkers" for
breakfast for example.

On asked if he wanted to play "rugger" (i.e. the "rugby rules") a
student replied "no, soccer", an abbreviation of "association", or the
"association rules", i.e. the rules of the Football Association in
London.

"Footer" was also used, but could have referred to either code.

David Pickering's "Soccer Companion" (Cassell, 1994) names the student
as Charles Wreford Brown, later an England international and F.A.
vice-president."

EVERYONE QUIT BITCHING ABOUT US CALLING IT SOCCER. IT WASN'T EVEN OUR IDEA. THE EVIL BRITS ARE THE CAUSE OF OUR GALLONS AND OUR SOCCER. Wink

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 11):

Please do not speak when you have no clue. There are soooo many Dominicans, Venezualans, Koreans, Japanese, Cubans, Mexicans, etc. etc. that anyone with any knowledge of the game of baseball knows it is a global sport. Just look at the nationalities of the players of the Angels or Yanks.

I respect other people's love for soccer, but I personally can't stand it.

[Edited 2005-09-20 08:05:12]
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

MD11Engineer

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:24 pm

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 37):
Except Rugby players are much smaller than Ameican Football players. more mass + speed = more damage. The fact that injuries happen with padding means that it is a dangerous sport.

Well, I knew some semi professional rugby players in Ireland. I wouldn't call them small, in fact, those blokes were HUGE. You could recognise them by their short hair, cauliflower ears and multiple time broken noses. I like to watch a rugby game, but I realised that I would be out of place playing it (I don't intend to commit suicide!)

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 43):
Australia also calls it Soccer.

In Ireland they call it soccer as well, but this comes from the fact that for the Irish Gaelic Football (a mix of football and handball, you can dribble the ball with the hand for three steps, like in basketball, played on rugby goals) is considered to be the real football.

Quoting IngemarE (Reply 44):
Was in Ireland once, Cork to be more precise. Back in '96. Went to see a game of Hurling (Cork vs Limerick)! Now there's a sport for real men!! Big grin
That was fun.

I used to live in County Clare, which is famous for it's hurling team. I always wondered why they don't have multiple fatalities every year oin this game.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi