Blackbird1331
Topic Author

Rock And Roll Is Dead

Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:24 am

It seems that there are no Rock&Roll bands left to nominate for induction into the Hall of Fame. It is has now become the time of rappers. What sick shit.
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

DLKAPA

RE: Rock And Roll Is Dead

Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:27 am

I can count on one hand the number of Rappers that should be allowed into the hall of fame.

1. Tupak Shakur
2. Eminem (because like it or not, he has more rhythm than any other mainstream rapper today)
3. Actually, there is no 3. If they start opening the door to any average rapper, then the RARHOF will have lost almost all coolness. The coolness will be completely gone when they let in LHMarks band.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

EddieGunsmoke

Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:36 am

I love Rock n Roll, and it's very much alive! Check out the band Jack Baymoore & The Bandits for some classic 50's Rock n Roll / Rock-A-Billy.

Blackbird1331
Topic Author

Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:55 am

This is a personal problem. I think rap sucks. There is no changing my mind. 101.1FM, the "Oldies" station, is off the air. "The Times They Are A Changing".
I will have to accept that. Good bye old times, good luck to the next generation. I hope you do not go deaf at an early age.

DLKAPA

Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:57 am

We have the best classic rock station out of Farmington. It's network so we get Bob and Tom and Alice Cooper Nights, but they still spin some great old tunes. Rush, BOC, Hendrix, The Doors, Dire Straights, Stevie Nicks, all good stuff.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

Blackbird1331
Topic Author

Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:03 am

DLKAPA: But, where are you located? I am in N.J.

EddieGunsmoke

Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:06 am

Quoting Blackbird1331 (Reply 3):
Good bye old times

Please my friend, tell me what R'n'R you like.

BR076

Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:09 am

Rock and Roll gave us Rammstein

mission accomplished Big grin
ú

DLKAPA

Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:12 am

Quoting Blackbird1331 (Reply 5):
DLKAPA: But, where are you located? I am in N.J.

Southwest Colorado.

greasespot

Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:26 am

I am thinking that blackbird has become a , To quote GKIRK, a  grumpy   old  git...  Smile
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

Jalto27R

Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:34 am

Blackbird,

I don't know what part of NJ you are from, but I'm from South Jersey, and I get all the good Philly stations. 102.9 MGK, 97.5 The Hawk, 93.3 WMMR, 94 WYSP. I love em' all. I think as time goes on we'll have to start using satellite radio if we expect to get any good rock n' roll.

Mike

Blackbird1331
Topic Author

Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:51 am

Hey Greaspot; Grrrrrrrrrrr. I am a tiger when it comes to this music, not some washed-up wannabe.

To all of you Rock&Rollers, rock on.

srbmod

Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:55 am

There are quite a few bands that I feel deserve at least a nomination:

The Jam
The Specials
Madness
B-52s
The (English) Beat
New York Dolls
Desmond Dekker (If Bob Marley can be in there, why not Desmond?)
Jimmy Cliff
Hüsker Dü
The Replacements

Some that will become eligible in the next few years:

R.E.M.
Billy Idol
Duran Duran
Depeche Mode

GQfluffy

Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:27 pm

Rap is NOT Rock and Roll. So why should any rap artests be inducted into the Hall of Fame?
This isn't where I parked my car...

B744F

Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:21 pm

will someone please! force Page, Plant, John Paul Jones, and Bonhams son to reform Zeppelin?

Salukipilot

Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:33 pm

Someone forgot that in a few years Nirvana will be eligible for induction...
...and yes, rap sucks ass...
Silver Airways Captain

killjoy

Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:19 pm

If Keith Richards can still stay upright, so can rock and roll.

New popular artists are complete shit, but as long as he and Jagger keep performing, I'll be fine.

srbmod

Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:50 pm

Quoting Salukipilot (Reply 15):
Someone forgot that in a few years Nirvana will be eligible for induction...

More than a few years. A artist or band is eligible for the Hall of Fame 25 years after their first record release. Bleach came out in 1989, so they won't be eligible until 2014, which is more than a few years away.

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 13):
Rap is NOT Rock and Roll. So why should any rap artests be inducted into the Hall of Fame?

Rap, especially the early years, was influenced by and influenced Rock and Roll. It took Run DMC and Aerosmith teaming up on "Walk This Way" for rap to really hit the mainstream. And one cannot forget the impact on rock and alternative music The Beastie Boys have made.

santosdumont

Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:47 pm

Quoting Blackbird1331 (Thread starter):
It seems that there are no Rock&Roll bands left to nominate for induction into the Hall of Fame. It is has now become the time of rappers. What sick shit.

One could certainly come to that conclusion using MTV as a sole compass. But to quote Neil Young "Rock 'n Roll can never die."

You have to make a distinction between contemporary rock and classic rock; in my brief stint as a DJ at a classic rock station I got my share of phone calls from "purists" complaining that "Oh, the Pretenders aren't classic rock," "The Clash aren't classic rock," etc. etc.

There's great modern rock and roll out there; you're just not going to find it in the mainstream. Hasn't it always been that way? Tomorrow's classic rock is percolating just below the radar.

IMHO, I don't think rock and roll is about lamenting the state of current music and seeking shelter in the confines of In-A-Gadda-Vida land. By definition, rock and roll is subversive; you're not always going to find the best kind by turning on a corporate radio station. When Elvis Presley was breaking onto the scene do you think he got any serious airplay? The predecessors of Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell were hellbent on eliminating him and other purveyors of "nigger music" from the airwaves...

As recently as the late 1980s, there was a similar thing going on. Metallica's "And Justice For All..." album went to number one without the benefit of airplay on major stations or video exposure on MTV; the fans basically told the bloated, fossilized radio suits to f*ck themselves. Only then did the corporate types start fawning over how great Metallica was.

As for rap not being rock and roll...you have to consider that both styles -- in their purest form -- are quite similar. Both were crafted by African slaves and their descendants, and both represented a serious threat to the status quo. (Now, I'm not talking about the latest slab of product served up by Sean Combs where the extent of creativity stops at posturing about pimpin' and dick size). Similarly, both rock and roll and rap were co-opted by the establishment to make them more palatable for the middle class and ultimately for use as a marketing tool.

Might I suggest you check out www.kissfm.com.br; it's the classic rock station here in Sao Paulo. You can catch the live feed by clicking on the "ao vivo" icon on the left hand side under the red guitar.
"Pursuit Of Truth No Matter Where It Lies" -- Metallica

TheRedBaron

Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:49 pm

Music in the U.S.A.right now is a joke, its Rap 24/7 good there are still bands like N.J. Symphony X that rock on like there is no tomorrow.

Yesterday I went to see ANGRA a Brazilian Rock band, a sure those guys knocked my socks off!, same with Ramstein, and other NON USA groups, because Rap is the "thing" in the Music industry and itslike a disease just like Disco music...yechhh.

RUSH should BE in the RR hall of Fame....
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

usnseallt82

Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:53 am

Quoting Blackbird1331 (Thread starter):

I hate rap...with a passion. But there is still a ton of rock bands out now. Most are going towards a harder rock style, which I love, and then some soften up for the pop audience. If only Metallica would get their shit together then maybe they could spit something else out. Until then.............peace out jigga.  Big grin

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 12):
B-52s

That's debatable.  boggled 
Crye me a river

apuneger

Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:02 am

Quoting BR076 (Reply 7):
Rock and Roll gave us Rammstein

Amen to that!

Nowadays, the only thing you get to see on these European music channels is R&B, rap, some stupid dance sh#t etc... If you're lucky you will see some Linkin' Park between 11 and midnight on a Tuesday evening or so. Where did all those impressive videos of bands like Metallica and Nirvana go to?

Time to re-animate Headbangers' Ball!

Greets,
Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

usnseallt82

Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:28 am

Quoting Apuneger (Reply 21):

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!

You've got my vote!!!!  bigthumbsup 
Crye me a river

GLAGAZ

Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:41 am

Rock n Roll is certainly not dead. I also agree that cRAP sucks.

Not been to many concerts this year but here they are.

Status Quo
Velvet Revolver
Glenn Hughes
Hells Bells (Amazing ACDC tribute band)

I think thats it for 2005, at the end of 2004 I saw the Darkness twice, YES, Breed77 and a few others.

I've got tickets for DIO and Robert Plant in a few months also. Might go to Reuben? and Nine Black Alps.

Gaz
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

slider

Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:41 am

Quoting EddieGunsmoke (Reply 2):
I love Rock n Roll, and it's very much alive! Check out the band Jack Baymoore & The Bandits for some classic 50's Rock n Roll / Rock-A-Billy.

THe problem isn't that these bands aren't out there, it's that they can't get visibility! Or record deals. Or airplay. Or appropriate marketing.

Corporate chain radio has whacked individual DJs and obscure bands don't exist on radio much. I do love Little Steven's Underground Garage though....great stuff. That dude is definitely carrying the torch.

Quoting Theredbaron (Reply 19):
Music in the U.S.A.right now is a joke,

Yup.

Blackbird1331
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:55 am

If not dead, at least catatonic.

srbmod

Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:03 am

Quoting Blackbird1331 (Reply 25):
If not dead, at least catatonic.

It so catatonic that even blasting something by Motorhead won't rouse it.

Quoting Slider (Reply 24):
I do love Little Steven's Underground Garage though....great stuff. That dude is definitely carrying the torch.

Sirius Satellite 25, my second favorite channel on Sirius.

MaverickM11

Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:46 am

Good bye old times, good luck to the next generation.

Puh-leaze...every generation has bemoaned how their music was so great but has since been taken over by modern crap. It was all crap. Get over yourself.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Blackbird1331
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:54 am

Well, at least my hearing is not too bad. I know what I like. Rap is crap. Get over your own miseries. I am busy.

srbmod

Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:47 am

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 20):
Quoting Srbmod (Reply 12):
B-52s

That's debatable.  boggled 

I'm not using Cosmic Thing and everything they've done since that album as the basis for why they should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Their place and legacy in modern alternative rock and new wave is why they should be there. They were the first band of the very influential Athens music scene of the late 1970s early 1980s to break out. While they are a little ecclectic (blame that on living in the South), they are as important to rock and roll as Devo was of the same era. R.E.M. owes a lot to the B-52s early success to their own success. R.E.M. is one of the most influential rock bands of the last 25 years, and there are a number of artists who packed up and moved to Athens in the early to mid 80s hoping to be in the next big band to come out of Athens. The B-52s put Athens on the music map, R.E.M. solidified Athens as one of the music meccas of the US. A decent chunk of influence came out of the music scenes in Athens and Chapel Hill, NC (a lot of the bands from these areas really travel in similar orbits. Many an Athens band made the trek to Chapel Hill to cut tracks, and many a Chapel Hill band has piled their gear into a or a UHaul in order to play at The 40 Watt or at The Georgia Theatre).

OzarkD9S

Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:02 am

"Rock and Roll" has been dead since the late 1950's due to a combination of factors:

* Chuck Berry going to jail for violating the Mann Act.
* Jerry Lee Lewis marring his 13 year old second cousin.
* Little Richard finding religion.
* Elvis going in the Army.

What we got after that was pop, and thanks to the British Invasion of the early/mid-60's: ROCK.

After that came soul, disco, punk, new wave, heavy metal, rap, electronica, grunge et al.....but "Rock and Roll" strictly speaking, has been dead for longer than most of us on here have been alive, myself included.
Next up: STL-CVG-MKE-MSP-STL.

usnseallt82

Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:52 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 29):
Chapel Hill, NC

Hey, this is where I grew up! Yeah, it definitely has some good bands coming out and lots of underground stuff of every genre. Weird city, especially Carborro, but good music.  Big grin
Crye me a river

san747

Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:14 am

101.1FM, the "Oldies" station, is off the air.

Do you mean KEARTH 101 in LA? No way! I love that station! I love listening to "Back to the Beatles" on Sundays at 10-11...

Quoting Apuneger (Reply 21):

Hell yea! I was too young to watch the original show, now it's on MTV2, but if MTV gave more exposure to new rock bands that would kick ass!

BTW, I'm not a major fan of rap, but I like certain songs... Maybe its because I'm a stupid teenager, but I like lots of modern rock:

A Perfect Circle
Atreyu
Audioslave
Beastie Boys (though they've been around since the '80s)
Breaking Benjamin
Chevelle (apparently, a Christian band, I never knew that)
Cold
Crossfade
The Darkness
Disturbed
Earshot
Franz Ferdinand
Godsmack
Green Day
Hoobastank
Incubus
Jet
The Killers
Korn
Limp Bizkit (some stuff)
Linkin Park
Lostprophets (are they Christian? Just wondering...)
Lustra
Metallica (they're in their waning years, not much good after the Black album)
The Offspring
P.O.D.
Puddle of Mudd
Queens of the Stone Age (they've been around for a while, too)
Rage Against the Machine (one of best bands of the '90s)
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Saliva
Slipknot
SR-71
Static X
Sublime
System of a Down
Taproot
Three Day's Grace (their songs actually kind of annoy me now)
Tool (in my top 5 all time)
Trapt
TRUSTcompany
Unwritten Law
Velvet Revolver (Slash is one of rock's best guitarists ever!)
The White Stripes

Some say (including my dad, who grew up in the golden years of the '60s and '70s) that none of this is "fresh" or original, therefore it lacks real substance, but I really don't think that's the case, at least not with all of them.

For some of these bands, that may be true... I can't imagine TRUSTcompany being widely remembered 30 years from now, but on the other hand, it's hard for me to imagine that in 30 years, oldies stations will be playing music from what I listed above...

But other bands, like Tool, Rage Against the Machine, or Red Hot Chili Peppers, have such a distinct sound that they will define our generation they way Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, The Beatles, or The Who did for the previous generation...

I have a feeling not too many of you will agree with what I've said, but nonetheless, it's how I feel.

san747  wave 
Scotty doesn't know...

TedTAce

Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:27 am

Quoting B744F (Reply 14):
will someone please! force Page, Plant, John Paul Jones, and Bonhams son to reform Zeppelin?

Dude, put the bong down, we already know you are permanately stoned

Quoting San747 (Reply 32):
Rage Against the Machine

Was.... to bad so sad..

Red Hot Chili Peppers

I think they are overdue for another album, but there is enough out there to form the basis of the next generation with.

Audioslave

A Serious contender!!

Green Day

These guys can't find the HOF fast enough. Rebel punk that makes Billy Idol go "What the Fuck??" how do you beat that?

Velvet Revolver

Another Serious contender!!

The White Stripes

Gimme one more Album/tour and I'll start to believe. So far it's just a juiced up guy with his hot chick ex on drums. 'Any man with a microphone....'

Korn

How sad it took 32 replies to get to them. Talk about ROCK and RAPING ROLL!! I have loved these guys since Adidas!!
This space intentionally left blank

usnseallt82

Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:39 am

A Perfect Circle, Atreyu, Audioslave, Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, Cold, Crossfade, The Darkness, Disturbed, Earshot, Godsmack, Hoobastank, Incubus, Korn, Limp Bizkit (some stuff), Linkin Park, Lostprophets, Metallica, The Offspring, P.O.D., Puddle of Mudd, Queens of the Stone Age, Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Saliva, Slipknot, Static X, System of a Down, Taproot, Three Day's Grace, Tool, Trapt, TRUSTcompany, Unwritten Law, Velvet Revolver

Damn boy, I like your style! This is stuff I listen to daily and love every bit of it. I took some out that I get annoyed with or just don't like, but by far most of them I love.

Here are some of my responses to your captions:

• Atreyu rocks.
  • Beastie Boys annoy me because they sound the same.
  • Limp Bizkit's more ghetto stuff is irritating, but when he slams down the hard rock chords, I love it.
  • I don't think Lostprophets are Christian.
  • Metallica has always been my greatest one, even though Lars has taken a major brain shit lately and is turning plain retarded. If they can get their act together, they can still run the scene.
  • SOAD will always rock.
  • Three Days Grace kinda annoys me too now, just because every f*ckin radio station plays the same 2-3 songs by them, over and over and over.
  • TRUSTcompany is one of my favorite groups in a LONG time! I love their melody behind the rock and their chords are awesome. Too bad they broke up, because they could have been amazing for a long time.
  • Finally, Velvet rocks! Slash will always rule the solo stage, hand and hand with Kirk from Metallica.

Altogether, I love what you put! I would throw in Ill Nino, Killswitch Engage, Shinedown, Demon Hunter, and Unearth for some more hard shit, but overall....nice!  Big grin
Crye me a river

usnseallt82

Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:29 pm

Also, if you like good hard shit.....check out Ill Nino fast! Then check out their new album in a week. Makes you want to fight a war or something........I love it!  Big grin
Crye me a river

MxCtrlr

Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:07 pm

As long as pioneers like The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Robert Plant, Tom Scholz, Jon Bon Jovi (just heard his new one - Have A Nice Day - today and its pretty good, IMHO) and others have a heartbeat, there will be rock!

Having said that, pick the hookah's back up, take a long pull, relax and enjoy the music!

MxCtrlr  bouncy 
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

AMSGOT

Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:22 pm

Rock 'n' Roll is still very much alive.

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 33):
The White Stripes

Gimme one more Album/tour and I'll start to believe. So far it's just a juiced up guy with his hot chick ex on drums. 'Any man with a microphone....'

This is exactly what R'n'R isn't about! Give them a chance! Like them for they've made so far!!!

And yes, Green Day has made an modern classic with American Idiot! A must have!
Please remain seated!

srbmod

Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:53 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 33):

The White Stripes

Jack White has pretty much proven that he's not a one trick pony. He arranged and produced "Van Lear Rose", which put Loretta Lynn back in the spotlight for the first time in decades (much like how Rick Rubin did the same for Johnny Cash in the early 1990s). While you can hear a bit of the White Stripes at times in the album, he could become just like Elvis Costello, doing not only music with his own band, but also producing and doing movie music as well.

Blackbird1331
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:01 am

San747: The 101.1 I am refering to was WCBSFM New York City.

What I think your father and other people are saying is that the great performers have already made that music famous. It is okay for others to come along and duplicate it, but, do they deserve the same credit? What if you were to hand in a term paper that was identical as the person next to you? The answer is obvious. One had to work hard to create it, the other simply had to copy it. Back to music. One is an artist, the other is a performer. It is just a matter of what you like.

slider

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:44 am

John Fogerty's touring.

Therefore, rock and roll isn't dead.  Smile

san747

Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:53 pm

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 34):
Altogether, I love what you put! I would throw in Ill Nino, Killswitch Engage, Shinedown, Demon Hunter, and Unearth for some more hard shit, but overall....nice!

I can't believe I forgot Shinedown on that list! And Ill Nino has some good stuff as well... And I just remembered right now- Skindred, Dreamtheatre, Edguy... All have great songs, great riffs.
Scotty doesn't know...

Blackbird1331
Topic Author

Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:02 am

Okay, it is not dead, it has morphoed. Rant on.

zippyjet

Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:03 am

This is a personal problem. I think rap sucks. There is no changing my mind. 101.1FM, the "Oldies" station, is off the air. "The Times They Are A Changing".
I will have to accept that. Good bye old times, good luck to the next generation. I hope you do not go deaf at an early age.

Zippyjet feels your pain! Music permantly Jumped The Shark around 1973 when radio become polarized and segmented. Artists such as Curtis Mayfield, and Jerry Butler were the holdouts from over produced schlock rock and droll soul. Starting in the early to mid 70's the bean counters, lawyers and promoters took too strong control of the industry. Pandering to the lowest common denominator. You had progressive rock but, by the late 70's detestable disco squashed that. Most white rock groups were just a bunch of long haired clones who screamed and tweaked their electric guitars to Boeing 707 take off decibles. And the final nail in the coffin was the advent of the synthesizer and lo and behold you got Velveeta Rock The writing was on the wall when Chicago deep sixed their brass sections.
And with the debut of MTV, there was some new stuff that was quirky but quickly became more a market of strutting peacocks and fuckable chanteusses. And so, today my friend you have corporate schlock rock and girls who dress like tarts and can arise a stiffy but their singing and performing quality makes you go limp.
Thank God for the Internet where there is a treasure trove of classic Rock, R&B and yes even country. What a tragedy that Soul music (Motown, Chicago/Stax, New Orleans etc... used to be the pinnacles of excellance only to be replaced by the shit they call hip hop. And, regarding the loss of your oldies station, I give you some links to my rants about the suck ass radio format called JACK FM

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/820086/
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/841177/
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/913720/6/
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!