USAFHummer
Topic Author

Official College Football Week 3 Thread

Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:02 am

Ok...Pitt-Nebraska was one of the most bizarre games I've ever watched, with the freakin' Fuskers pulling it out 7-6 in a really strange finish...Nebraska's offense sucked, but their defense saved their asses, and Pitt...man were they overrated...0-3 in their non-conference schedule...who would've expected that???

In other final scores:
Louisville 63, Oregon State 27
Michigan 55, Eastern Michigan 0
Georgia 44, Louisiana-Monroe 7
Virginia Tech 45, Ohio 0
Ohio State 27, San Diego State 6
Iowa 45, Northern Iowa 21

In games in progress:
Michigan State has a slight lead over Notre Dame in the 4th...
UCLA up by 17 on Mobilehoma in the 4th
Illinois shocking Cal 17-7 at the half...
Miami holding a 3 point lead on Clemson late in the 4th...

Buffs are off this week so I have no commentary on them, except that I'm rootin for Clemson to pull it out as we play Miami in the Orange Bowl next week, and to go in there with Miami being 0-2 would be freakin' awesome...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

jpetekyxmd80

RE: Official College Football Week 3 Thread

Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:16 am

That Pitt-Nebraska game was pretty nuts. Just watched the ending and it seemed like 2 sad teams, shadows of their former self. By the way, watching the game reminded me just how shitty the Nebraska helmet logo looks. Honestly, thats the weakest ass N in history. Whoever came up with the idea to but an narrow arial N on a helmet should have a husk shoved up their ass.

*end rant*

The WIS-UNC kickoff is being delayed due to expected thunderstorms.

I shall go watch the Irish/Spartan ending...
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

AirWest

Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:47 am

Yeah BABY! ND finally gets what they deserve, a 44-41 OT LOSS! Thanks MSU!

[Edited 2005-09-18 01:48:41]
"And now I wish I was somewhere other than here"- JB

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:50 am

Shit...Miami beats Clemson 36-30 in 3 overtimes...oh well...

Greg

AirWest

Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:51 am

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 3):
Shit...Miami beats Clemson 36-30 in 3 overtimes...oh well...

That sucks, I hate Miami and I was really pulling for the Tigers.

Lumberton

Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:17 am

So what's with Vanderbilt? 3-0. This is unbelievable!
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

AirWest

Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:35 am

Vandy's got a good QB in Jay Cutler, throwing for 308 yards and rushing for 70 today. Although he didn't score today, he did account for 378 of his offense's yards.

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:56 am

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 5):

Looks like the stars that were supposed to align over Pittsburgh somehow made their way south a few hundred miles to Nashville  Wink

Greg

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:50 am

And holy crap, Mike Leach's legendary air attack at Texas Tech is back again...Texas Tech destroys I-AA Sam Houston St. 80-21...and get this...their second string QB threw for 203 yards...their first stringer threw for 434 yards and 5 TD passes...man, I feel bad for any team that has to play Tech and has a bad secondary, they are gonna get the shit kicked out of them bigtime...

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/boxscore?gid=200509170086

Greg

mdsh00

Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:03 pm

And UCLA blows OU out of the rankings with their victory.  Silly

UCLA 41
OU 24

bigthumbsup  bigthumbsup  bigthumbsup  bigthumbsup 

UCLA, and especially Drew Olson played beautifully. One thing that bothers me is the attention that ESPN keeps giving to Adrian Peterson not starting because he stopped attending class. One writer went to criticize Stoops for actually enforcing the rules...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=bayless/050915

I'm sorry but they are COLLEGE players and if the school has rules and enforces them, then that's what it has to be.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Falcon84

Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:16 pm

Quoting AirWest (Reply 2):
Yeah BABY! ND finally gets what they deserve, a 44-41 OT LOSS! Thanks MSU!

It's always a good week when the Irish get put in their place.  Smile I can't stand a school that thinks it deserves it's own TV network deal.

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 5):

And Indiana is 2-0? WTF gives in college pigskins, these days?  Big grin

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 9):
And UCLA blows OU out of the rankings with their victory.

UCLA 41
OU 24

One of the few things I hate more than SoCal teams is Oklahoma or Nebraska, so, again, a good day.  bigthumbsup 
Work Right, Fly Hard

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:01 pm

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 9):
And UCLA blows OU out of the rankings with their victory. Silly

Seeing the corruption that went into the first two polls after play began, wouldn't surprise me if OU managed to slip in there again...the polls suck, to be frank...

Greg

mdsh00

Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:26 pm

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 11):
Seeing the corruption that went into the first two polls after play began, wouldn't surprise me if OU managed to slip in there again...the polls suck, to be frank...

checkmark  Here on the west coast there is usually this general feeling that the rankings are biased against western teams.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

IAH777

Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:59 pm

Fightin' Texas Ags 66
SMU 8

Now TCU (Texas Christian) laid the wood to OU. SMU then spanked TCU in Wk 2. This week, A&M bent SMU over and took them up the poop chute. Ergo (if my football algebra is correct), Texas A&M should be #1 in the polls. Big grin

I'm sure Rice thanks t.u. for the shlacking they received. Can't wait til Thanksgiving.

Saw 'em off! WHOOP!

copaair737

Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:38 pm

Chokelahoma lost. Good
Miami beat Clemsuck. Great
Fresno blows early lead to Oregon...loses. That pissed me off.
The shocker of the day....Mighty Stanford of the PAC-10 falls to D-IAA UC Davis, who is fresh out of DII only 2 years ago. Man, I gave my friend who is a diehard Stanford fan shit about that one. 20-17! UCD scored on a last second TD pass. Stanford's offense never scored. I'm still laughing about that one.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

IAH777

Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:16 pm

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 14):
The shocker of the day....Mighty Stanford of the PAC-10 falls to D-IAA UC Davis, who is fresh out of DII only 2 years ago.

UC-Davis has a football team? I gotta see that! I didn't know Birkenstocks came in cleats. Probably a synthetic pigskin, too! Big grin

airxliban

Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:58 pm

USC beat Arkansas, something like 70 to 17. I was at the game. Football sucks. Moving on.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

USAIRWAYS321

Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:04 pm

In a different version of the Pac-10/Division I-AA matchup, Washington State wiped up Grambling State 48-7 to move to 3-0 for the first time since 2001. Of course, that 3-0 doesn't mean a ton, since it's against Idaho, Nevada and Grambling, but hey, I'll take it!

MD-90

Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:31 pm

I just got back from Shreveport at 4:00AM. It was depressing that neither offense could score on either defense until they got tired in the second half. The Big Game in the Big Easy turned out to be...not so big as Vandy whooping it up for a 3-0 start over Fulmer getting it handed to him at Florida.

Didn't get to see Vandy prevail over University Motors on our bus, though, as the satellite tracker wasn't tracking on the way to the game. Saw Arkansas struggle against USC on the way home, though.

nonrevman

Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:57 pm

I would like to see USC play Texas in the title game. It is very possible, but of course anyone who plays these teams will want to play the role of a spoiler. Texas still has to be careful when they play Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl. It does not seem to matter how the teams are ranked. Texas should win out, but stranger things have happened. Then, they have to deal with Texas Tech's passing game and the game against Texas A&M which could go either way. Now, if Texas can will all of those games, then they deserve the shot at the title.

TPASXM787

Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:50 am

My Noles rallied to get to 3-0...

Great games of the day...
UM-CLEM damn I was rooting for Clemson in that game....I hate the Canes
ND-MSU
UF-TENN

And my alma mater USF rolled over UCF 31-14...I think I'm going to score some tickets for the USF-Louisville game this weekend...USF has beat them before so it should be a great matchup!
This is the Last Stop.

garnetpalmetto

Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:20 am

2 out of my 3 preferred outcomes happened.

Clemson lost  bigthumbsup 
NC State won  bigthumbsup 
South Carolina lost  frown 

Don't care who the Tigers are playing, as I'll root against Clemson no matter what. NC State's playing host to UNC in a local rivalry game and, USC is playing host to Troy. So, as always, go Cocks, go 'Pack, and go to hell Clemson!
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

FlyVirgin744

Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:11 am

UF - 16
UT - 7

UM and FSU get lucky again  mad 
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

b741

Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:44 am

Nebraska finally won a game. They were so good for so many years. Here's hoping they turnaround.
Being Bilingual, I Speak English And Aviation

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:10 am

Quoting B741 (Reply 23):
Nebraska finally won a game. They were so good for so many years. Here's hoping they turnaround.

Um, they are 3-0...sad but true...

Greg

bhmbaglock

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:28 am

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 15):

UC-Davis has a football team? I gotta see that! I didn't know Birkenstocks came in cleats. Probably a synthetic pigskin, too! Big grin

Yeah but they've got the biggest Juice Tiger on earth next to their bench and forget synthetic pigskin, it's plant based renewable and biodegradable.

Quoting FlyVirgin744 (Reply 22):
UF - 16
UT - 7

Great news but it would have been even better if UAB had pulled it out last week and beaten them. Can't believe they're still in the top 10. Other coaches must be afraid Fulmer will sic the NCAA on them.
Where are all of my respected members going?

TedTAce

Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:26 pm

By the way was it BAB or USAFHummer who was taking me to task about the Miami Hurricanes and Colorado?
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/scoreboard

humm
Colorado 3
@
University of Miami 23

Bite me!!
This space intentionally left blank

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:12 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 26):
By the way was it BAB or USAFHummer who was taking me to task about the Miami Hurricanes and Colorado?
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/scoreboard

humm
Colorado 3
@
University of Miami 23

Bite me!!

Well, having made the trek down to South Florida for the game in person, let me give my commentary...

On the game itself...everyone had said that Miami was a super-fast team, and I can't doubt that having seen it in person...our play calls today were ridiculously conservative, with mostly east west plays out to the sidelines...against a fast defense like the 'Canes, those types of plays were doomed from the start...overall this season, we haven't shown much of a vertical offensive ability, and that lack of said capability really hurt us...I thought the 28 yard chipshot FG that Crosby missed really hurt any chance of us building some early momentum...that kick was very uncharacteristic of Crosby, who I'm sure will finish very high in the Groza award voting, perhaps even winning it...on a related note, those who say Crosby's ridiculously strong leg is due solely to the thin Boulder air were proven seriously wrong today...his 58 yard FG (which also kept CU's streak of something like 200+ games w/o being shutout alive, one of the longest, if not the longest such streak in D-I) was good by plenty distance wise and would have been good from at least 65 in that regard...bear in mind this was at thick sea-level air in a humid environment, which are terrible kicking conditions...

Also, penalties killed us...never in my time at CU have I seen us get flagged that many times in a single game...the final count was something like 16 penalties on us, but it seemed like a lot more...I'm hardpressed to think of a violation which we didn't get flagged for...

The one major bright spot today was our run defense...Miami RB Tyrone Moss had two games of over 100 yards rushing to start the season, and I believe we held him to around 50 yards or so...we've had some run defense problems in the past but this was a huge step forward in fixing them...

I'm tired, so I'll write about the game experience itself when I return to Colorado tomorrow, along with a few pics...

Greg

TedTAce

Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:56 pm

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 27):
58 yard FG

I have to give props on that!! Too bad UM didn't have him for the FSU game  Sad Think that guy has a carreer? I'm stunned you actually went there...I'll be glad when you get home and can claim that you survived.
This space intentionally left blank

copaair737

Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:45 am

Louisville got trounced by University of South Florida Bulls 45-14. No way do they belong in the top 20 after that. They should drop out, but they won't because of the economic interests the BE holds. Minnesota tripped up Purdue at the Met too, which was cool. I was really happy that the 'Canes beat up on CU though. Too bad we didn't have another '93 moment, like the last time the two teams hooked up.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

baw2198

Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:34 am

Well, so much for Iowa this year. (go OSU  biggrin  )

I guess thats what they get for only having a freshman defense this year.
"And remember, Keep your stick on the ice"--->Red Green

Skyway1

Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:46 am

Yeah Ohio State smoked Iowa. Would have been worse as Ohio State fumbled two times inside the 10 yard line. I almost felt bad for Iowa....Drew Tate was frustrated the whole game. I felt following the Texas game OSU would walk through the rest of their schedule. It appears as of now the OSU-MSU game will be a big one......but MSU's offense hasn't faced a defense the likes of OSU. Will be good for sure. JoePa better be ready for an ass whoopin in happy valley in two weeks.
KNUK, KNUK, KNUK woowoowoo

KiwiNanday

Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:48 am

23-20 Pats!!!!

Vinatieri kicked a 43-yarder with a second to go!
Silly Islamic extremists, it's just a cartoon!

AzoresLover

Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:59 am

Quoting Skyway1 (Reply 31):
It appears as of now the OSU-MSU game will be a big one......but MSU's offense hasn't faced a defense the likes of OSU. Will be good for sure. JoePa better be ready for an ass whoopin in happy valley in two weeks.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Go, Bucks!!!
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:41 pm

Quoting KiwiNanday (Reply 32):
23-20 Pats!!!!

Vinatieri kicked a 43-yarder with a second to go!

Um...hate to point out what should be the obvious, but this is the college football thread...

Greg

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:13 pm

Ok, here's my thoughts on the actual experience of attending a game at Miami...

First, the pics:

Pregame by the CU Alumni tent, where a larger than expected crowd of Buff fans was gathered

The CU Alumni tent and giant inflatable "Ralphie the Buffalo" from inside the stadium...

Yours truly...

Your 2005 Colorado Buffaloes...

The crummy scoreboard at the Orange Bowl...

The Miami student section...

"Why is that slogan in quotes?"

Random game shot...

Now...first off, let me open up by saying that the Orange Bowl is a complete shithole...this stadium is a total disgrace...structure rusting out like Ive never seen before on any other stadium/chunks of concrete missing... ridiculously narrow concourses...very sparse and limited concessions and bathrooms...poorly signed to get around...absolutely hideous sound system, with only one speaker locale in the main scoreboard in the open end that was barely understandable half the time...speaking of which, the main scoreboard in the open end is not capable of doing video replays, and there is no modern Jumbotron to provide such a service, and there is only one other electronic display scoreboard in the entire stadium...quite pathetic, bearing in mind this place is the home field of a perennial national powerhouse...the 'Canes deserve better than that shithole, but my understanding is that they are stuck there for a long time to come...I can only hope that it doesn't fall apart before they finally get out of there, it is in huge need of major renovations...

Also, the lack of parking in the stadium was another potential nightmare, as the only stadium lots were permit-only, meaning that you have to donate most of your life savings to the Hurricane athletic department to get a spot, and the lots arent that big to begin with...otherwise, since the Orange Bowl is in the middle of your everyday city neighborhood, you are on your own for parking...fortunately many of the neighbors decide to open up their driveways for game-goers to park in, for a small fee...in our case, my dad and I got there fairly early and were lucky enough to get what we considered to be a great spot in a driveway just 3 blocks from the stadium for a lousy $20...bearing in mind the Orange Bowl holds about 72,000 people, I can't imagine what its like to arrive later and finding a spot, the walking distance then is probably measured in miles!

The Miami fans and the student...what a huge disappointment! Given the history of the Miami football program, I expected the atmosphere inside the stadium to be "electric" as some sportscasters would put it...after all, this was their home opener, and they were playing a Big 12 team and not some I-AA or minor-division I-A steamrollee team (for lack of a better term)...the crowd of only 51,000 was interested in the game, but not quite as active as I had thought...the only chant that I noticed was a constant repitition of "C-A-N-E-S CANES", plus, musically, there was an apparent fetish for the "Star Wars" theme song on the part of both the person controlling the stadium music and the Miami band, plus the "I-never saw-it-coming" song of "Rock you like a Hurricane" by the Scorpions, endlessly played...also a curiously large amount of hip-hop and rap was played over the speaker...interesting music choice...

And thats about all I can think of at the moment...so I'll end my ramblings for now...

Greg