stlgph

Bye, Bye, Marshall Field's

Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:43 am

Fans of Marshall Fields will see their store become Macy's effective next spring. Those Christmas windows on Michigan Avenue just won't be the same.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Superfly

RE: Bye, Bye, Marshall Field's

Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:49 am

Quoting STLGph (Thread starter):
Fans of Marshall Fields will see their store become Macy's effective next spring. Those Christmas windows on Michigan Avenue just won't be the same.

Sad  Sad  Sad

Darn, I should have taken photos of the place last month when I was there.
I remember Christmas shopping there back when I was a kid.
Bring back the Concorde

BR715-A1-30

Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:49 am

You're kidding. WOW!! Things will suddenly take a hike in price. Travelpro will soon be seen in Former Marshall Fields stores.
Puhdiddle

Mexicana757

Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:53 am

Those Christmas windows on Michigan Avenue just won't be the same.

Did you mean State street? Thats were the flagship store is at, 111 N. State.

dl021

Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:02 am

Federated Department stores, the brands' parent company has been on a nationwide tear to do this. In ATL they just killed the oldest and best known name brand department store (Rich's) and replaced it with Macys. Rich's Department Stores was purchased by Federated somewhere around 20 years ago, and they have maintained Rich's traditions of having a giant Christmas tree lighting each year (the big one every year) and hosting the 4th of July and New Years fireworks in their Lenox Square store, but even resurrected the Pink Pig train that used to be a monorail on the roof of the downtown Rich's.

This decision is one made by some marketing guru from a central location who obviously doesn't understand the value of local brands and customer loyalty.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

AeroWesty

Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:02 am

The bastards. We're losing The Bon Marché out here, too.
International Homo of Mystery

syncmaster

Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:10 am

They are closing all of their stores in my area  Sad

ltbewr

Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:17 am

The days of the classic local or regional, middle class department stores are gone. Customers moving on price for everyday things at K-mart, Walmart, Target (originally developed by the Dayton-Hudson dep't Stores group, now Marshall Field and soon to be Macy's), moves up by JC Penny's and Sears, the fast growing Kohl's stores, all have decimated the customer base at the low to middle end. The rich, well they have plenty of choices. Then add the smaller speciality stores in regional full service malls and strip malls, and the department store is becoming a dinosour. The one thing that to me led to their ruin, was the end of so called fair trade laws in the 1970's that allowed manufactures and distributors to tell retailers how much they had to sell their product for. (much like airline fares were regulated until the late 1970's)
I do despise the takeover of what seems to be 80% of the mainline department store market by one company - Macy's. In a few more years, I bet a lot of them will be closed down, especially in fringe market areas or where have high desity of stores and as people tire of their poor quality of service.

stlgph

Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:30 am

Quoting Mexicana757 (Reply 3):
Those Christmas windows on Michigan Avenue just won't be the same.

Did you mean State street? Thats were the flagship store is at, 111 N. State.

You know, that is what I meant. I apologize. Brain fart.

Quoting DL021 (Reply 4):
This decision is one made by some marketing guru from a central location who obviously doesn't understand the value of local brands and customer loyalty.

Any chain owned by Federated will become a Bloomingdale's or Macy's within the next two years.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 7):
I do despise the takeover of what seems to be 80% of the mainline department store market by one company - Macy's.

Agreed. I wish the Department of Justice would have never approved the Federated - May merger. And I wish May shareholders would have seen otherwise, but of course, they just wanted to sell their shares for the top dollar and be done with it.

EA CO AS

Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:09 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 8):
Any chain owned by Federated will become a Bloomingdale's or Macy's within the next two years.

Is that necessarily a bad thing though if it means they'll be more competitive and able to survive in the Wal-Mart era? Frankly, I love the upscale Bloomingdale's/Macy's/Bon-Marche/Robinsons-May/Burdine's style stores and if the parent company needs to consolidate under one banner to cut costs and streamline to stay ahead of the competition, then so be it.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

luv2fly

Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:30 am

Well there is always Dillard's 300 plus strong and still family owned.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Mexicana757

Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:53 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 8):
You know, that is what I meant. I apologize. Brain fart.

Its ok, dont need to apologize.  praise 

I think Marshall Fields was better off when they were owned by Target.

EA CO AS

Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:55 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 10):
Well there is always Dillard's 300 plus strong and still family owned.

And that's my favorite department store of all, actually!  bigthumbsup 
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

seb146

Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:56 am

No, no, no, no....... you don't get it. I *LOVE* Meier & Frank. I go there every chance I get. I have so many clothes from Meier & Frank. But, I was at Bon-Macy's in Seattle last winter and found there prices to be on par with Meier & Frank. It all depends on what racks you shop on. I get great quality and great looking clothes right off the clearance racks. Wal-Mart prices with Macy's quality. Yeah, I can dig it! I am a shopping fiend. I can't wait till Khols opens up in Portland. I went to the one at Ontario Mills where I-10 and I-15 intersect and it seemed like a good store. I bought a few shirts there last year.

On a side note about Khols: When I was at that Ontario one, I went to pay. The woman that rang me up was blonde. I mean blonde as anything. As per Khols policy, she asked for my ZIP code. So, I told her: 97210. I was living in downtown Portland at the time. So, she punched in 9, then hesitated with the 7, then she asked me again. Again I told her 97210. She hit the backspace key and hit the 9, hesitated on the 7 then said: You don't live around here, do you? She was also shocked that there are no Khols anywhere in the Northwest. She seemed to have a bit of simpathy in her voice and that I was an alien to this planet. Crazy.

Anyway, Federated will be changing the name Meier & Frank to Macy's after Christmas. I wish they would do it before. I am tired of the same window display year after year at M&F. They have been doing 12 Days Of Christmas for at least the last 5 years. *yawn*

GO CANUCKS!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

dtwclipper

Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:57 am

Sorry, but I never got used to calling Hudson's Marshall Field's....and now I have to go with Macy's.

NEVER........I want my Hudson's back!
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

stlgph

Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:05 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 9):
Is that necessarily a bad thing though if it means they'll be more competitive and able to survive in the Wal-Mart era?

Sorry, but can not compare Wal Mart to Macy's.

Frankly, I love the upscale Bloomingdale's/Macy's/Bon-Marche/Robinsons-May/Burdine's style stores and if the parent company needs to consolidate under one banner to cut costs and streamline to stay ahead of the competition, then so be it.

They're hardly streamlined to cut costs. Macy's doesn't operate under just one central operation. Macy's has regional operating divisions.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 12):
And that's my favorite department store of all, actually!

Dillard's? ewwwww

Quoting Mexicana757 (Reply 11):
I think Marshall Fields was better off when they were owned by Target.

I wholly agree on that.

VSlover

Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:29 am

yawn...let me know when prada buys federated and takes over the world.

though honestly, i am pleased they are converting all foley's department stores to macy's out here in colorado. finally i can at least get some of the brands and associated items i was accustomed to being able to get at macy's.

[Edited 2005-09-20 22:30:39]

EA CO AS

Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:36 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 15):
Frankly, I love the upscale Bloomingdale's/Macy's/Bon-Marche/Robinsons-May/Burdine's style stores and if the parent company needs to consolidate under one banner to cut costs and streamline to stay ahead of the competition, then so be it.

They're hardly streamlined to cut costs. Macy's doesn't operate under just one central operation. Macy's has regional operating divisions.

Can you argue with the fact that operating under one name as one entity costs less than operating several different sub-brands?

Didn't think so.

srbmod

Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:40 am

We lost the Rich's name fully earlier this year. They closed most of the Macy's locations (In the mid 1980s, Macy dropped the Davison's name and replaced it with Macy's [Macy's had bought Davison-Paxton back in 1924. Davison's was the competitor in Atlanta to Rich's]) in Atlanta (including the landmark downtown Atlanta store) and hypenated the Rich's name to Rich's-Macy's.

Federated has decided to use two nameplates for their stores, Macy's and Bloomingdale's, and to hell with local history. I'm sorry, but the Macy's Great Tree will just never sound right, it was the Rich's Great Tree for nearly my entire life.

stlgph

Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:12 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 17):
Can you argue with the fact that operating under one name as one entity costs less than operating several different sub-brands?

Didn't think so.

May didn't operate them as sub brands. Operations were all the same, they just kept the individual regional names.

QuestAir

Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:54 am

I went to the flagship State St store last April.... terrific place, but the sad thing... the place was deserted.
'Do we carry rich people on our flights? Yes, I flew on one this morning and I�m very rich.' - Michael O'Leary

deltaffindfw

Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:05 am

Despite the fact that Federated is "technically" Cincinnati-based, we have also lost our share of old hometown department stores.

Shillito's -> Shillito-Rikes -> Lazarus -> Lazarus-Macy's -> Macy's
McAlpin's -> Dillards
Pogue's -> L.S. Ayres -> all area stores closed down
Mabley & Carew -> Elder Beerman -> all area stores closed down.

Very sad!!

stlgph

Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:23 am

As per usual, with the demise of TWA, the people here in St. Louis just think it's ho hum....that is until after they realize it's gone and are scratching their heads why they suddenly no longer get such a good deal.

This is one of my major gripes with this town.

EA CO AS

Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:11 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 19):
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 17):

Didn't think so.

May didn't operate them as sub brands. Operations were all the same, they just kept the individual regional names.

Yes they did.

For example, after the purchase of The Bon Marche it was still run as The Bon, a wholly owned but separate entity. Over time it was EVENTUALLY called Bon-Macy's - still a sub-brand. Now the change will eliminate The Bon entirely.

stlgph

Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:03 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 23):
Yes they did.

For example, after the purchase of The Bon Marche it was still run as The Bon, a wholly owned but separate entity. Over time it was EVENTUALLY called Bon-Macy's - still a sub-brand. Now the change will eliminate The Bon entirely.

Huh?

May Company operated its stores with a central corporate management, advertising, sales, marketing, human resources, accounting, and merchandising division. The only thing that was different was the name of the stores depending upon the region. Each one of the "stores" had its own buying offices that was responsible for product replenishment.

Federated did the same. When they bought Lazarus, all the operations and merchandising, a la the same as May did it was done centrally with Federated. Difference with Federated is that they decided to label all of their stores differently, by first introducing the Macy's name as a part of the name to begin customer recognition, and then eventually dropping the pre title and then just going with Macy's.

QuestAir

Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:07 am

I used to live north of Chicago, and I used to go to the Marketplace at the Marshall Field's in Vernon Hills (approx. 1 hour north of Chicago) for dinner now and then. I have nothing but fond memories of them. Fortunately I was able to stop by the Vernon Hills location last April one last time.

I don't quite understand how changing the name to Macy's is going to help (that is, I assume the name change is for financial purposes). The Marshall Field's name in Chicago is such a venerable brand, and I assume that they Federated or May's or whoever owns them might lose some market share here. Then again, I know next to nothing about the retail business.

Plus, and I don't know if anybody else here knows what I'm talking about, I love those Frango chocolate mints that they sell! I wonder if *Macy's* will continue those...
'Do we carry rich people on our flights? Yes, I flew on one this morning and I�m very rich.' - Michael O'Leary

AR1300

Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:14 am

Sad I used to shop there a lot, back in the good ol' days in Chicago...

Mike
You are now free to move about the cabin

searpqx

Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:44 am

Quoting QuestAir (Reply 25):
Plus, and I don't know if anybody else here knows what I'm talking about, I love those Frango chocolate mints that they sell! I wonder if *Macy's* will continue those...

Yep - as far as I know Macy's now owns the license and the receipe, receiving it when they purchased Marshall Field's.

Actually Frango's are tied to my all time favorite Dept. Store - Frederick & Nelson's (which was owned by Marshall Fields up until the early 90s, when F&N went bankrupt). It was a sad day F&N shut down, and now the last remaining vestiges of that once great store will dissapear along w/ the MF name.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

EA CO AS

Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:41 pm

Quoting STLGph (Reply 24):
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 23):
Yes they did.

Huh?

Which part didn't you understand?

Quoting STLGph (Reply 24):
May Company operated its stores with a central corporate management, advertising, sales, marketing, human resources, accounting, and merchandising division. The only thing that was different was the name of the stores depending upon the region. Each one of the "stores" had its own buying offices that was responsible for product replenishment.

So if each regional store - with independent names - handled their purchasing differently, explain to me how that's NOT a sub-brand? It sure sounds that way to me.

luv2fly

Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:48 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 28):
So if each regional store - with independent names - handled their purchasing differently, explain to me how that's NOT a sub-brand? It sure sounds that way to me.

I agree with you! We have one of the regional store brands here in Ohio, and a charge card from one of the other store brands that is not in the area. Well I can use the charge here, though I can not make a payment! Now here is the kicker I mail the bill to a post office box right here in Cleveland. Customer friendly, hardly!

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 12):
And that's my favorite department store of all, actually!

I have to agree Dillard's is my favorite of all time.
You can cut the irony with a knife

mt99

Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:25 am

Well, people here in chicago are so incredidbly pissed at this. Chicagoans are very very very protective of their city (rightly so i think  Smile) and whatever "instututions" are based here. I think we are even proud, to some extent, of the good and the bad of our local politics.

The average person sees this as New York invading Chicago. Which is sacrilege. Nothing tests the nerves of the local population than being compared to New York.

If there is one thing Sox and Cubs fan would agree on that Chicago is much. much better the New York.
Step into my office, baby

stlgph

Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:13 am

Which part didn't you understand?

The part where you're trying to talk about something you clearly don't understand.

It's not a sub brand, plain and simple. At May, the merchandising is done through the May's merchandising division, which is St. Louis based. The
-replenishment- buying is done regionally. The reason for this is simple: some products will sell better and have different seasons than other products.

At Federated, the merchandising division is done through the Federated Merchandising Division, which is New York based. The -replenishment- buying for them, is also done regionally. The reason for this is simple: some products will sell better and have different seasons than other products.

Wow, notice how the two operations are in common? There's no sub-branding. It's a matter of regional product placement.

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 29):
I agree with you! We have one of the regional store brands here in Ohio, and a charge card from one of the other store brands that is not in the area. Well I can use the charge here, though I can not make a payment! Now here is the kicker I mail the bill to a post office box right here in Cleveland. Customer friendly, hardly!

You cannot make in store payments with May credit cards. There are tons of retail chains that share a similar policy.

Mexicana757

Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:29 am

Sad to see a company I worked for go under someone elses name.  cry 

Supposely Macy's is going to bring back the production of Frangos back to the State Street store. Lets see where they will place it. Because they are going to have to do a lot of remodelling.

AsstChiefMark

Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:38 am

Damn! I loved his wife's cookies, too!

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail