Birdwatching
Topic Author

Non-Alcoholic - And Proud Of It! Anyone Else?

Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:42 pm

Is there anybody out there who doesn't drink any alcohol at all, for whatever reason they might have? I don't mean social drinkers that don't get drunk, I mean really none at all.

In my case, I don't even have a good reason. I just never started. And now at 23 I think I'm past the critical age too. Partly it's for all the money I've saved, partly because I like to wake up in the morning and actually know what I did yesterday. Maybe it's for health reasons too (even though I've read all those crazy stats about French people living like 3 years longer because they have a glas of rouge every day once they're 2 years old).

I really don't mind drinkers at all. I'm really cool with any rate of alcohol consumption, and I would never start trying to convince them to stop or anything.

I have no problem going to all the college parties and have fun with all the drunk people. Many times, I feel they appreciate having a sober person around. You never know.

Any non-drinkers around? How did you make it past your teen years? Did they harass you a lot? Were you "uncool"? Or did they respect you?
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

mrniji

RE: Non-Alcoholic - And Proud Of It! Anyone Else?

Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:48 pm

I drink, in moderate quantities. If I wouldn't, no need to declare myself proud. Drinking is not bad, it only depends on the quantity and personal control
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

ZKSUJ

Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:04 pm

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 1):
Drinking is not bad, it only depends on the quantity and personal control

Yeap, hit it right on the head.

Birdwatching
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:10 pm

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 1):
Drinking is not bad, it only depends on the quantity and personal control

Read again! I never said anything against drinkers, and I never judged them.
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

777236ER

Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:13 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 3):

To be proud not to drink implies there's something wrong with drinking.
Your bone's got a little machine

NUAir

Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:22 pm

I think their is a big difference between being an alchoholic (as your thread suggests) and having a drink.

As someone pointed out, everything in moderation (except sex of course).

I drink this crap everyday...

It goes great with a good meal.
"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet

ZRH

Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:30 pm

This is good for you, if you don't like it. But for me there is no better drink than a really good red wine, a Bordeaux for example and many others. I also admit that sometimes I like to drink a lot of beer with my friends for fun. But I almost don't drink any other alcoholic beverages, perhaps very seldom a good Whisky. Actually I only drink a good wine with a good meal, perhaps once Week and a lot of beer with my friends at parties, but on "normal" days I don't drink any alcohol.

rootsair

Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:36 pm

Birdwatching

Its a very smart thread that you've started up. And curageous, since not everyone will admit they don't drink.

Same is for me, I don't drink alcohol,not only because I know all the risks that it brings , certainly not because I'm mormon, and not because I have heavy medication, or because I have Liver disease.The reason is, I don't like the taste of alcohol at all . Ok I have gotten drunk twice but the day after was really horrible for me . That was about 5 years ago.

I've never had this "uncool" remarks. I have been lucky that people around me understood me as much as the fact I don't smoke. Its a matter of taste. And when I did get served beer I would not drink it all since the 4 first sips were good but then I got fed up with it. I don't need to drink alcohol to feel good or cool.

I don't know what there is cool about it but unfortunately many people would disagree with me.
Regards

BM
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

mrniji

Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:42 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 3):

My statement was not meant to be offensive at all. If you perceived it to be so, I apologize. I was only a little surprised about the word proud.. happy would have done better. My point was only that drinking is not bad if it is done responsibly. I.e. no drunk driving, no loss of control etc.. I for instance neither engage in drunk driving nor does my personally change crucially if I am drunk (i.e. I am NOT aggressive or something else, or I don't pester people, I am only a little hyper and maybe have strange ideas.. ).

Sorry again if my statement was ambiguous.. Hope this clarifies our obvious misunderstanding  Wink
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

erikwilliam

Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:49 pm

I started drinking to fell more mature(yeah right), and to impress the girlsof high-school, you know the drill.
Then at some point, the fun was to get as wasted as possible.
Now I drink responsably, but I have to admit that sometimes it pass that line, but I´m still responsable not to drive, to take a cab or let someone drive my car.
It´s not that I drink a lot at once, but I drink often a litle.

But hey, it´s cool if you don´t wasnt any alcohol in you, maybe you don´t like the taste or whatever....I don´t like olives for ex.
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

MKEdude

Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:12 pm

"I feel sorry for those who don't drink, because when they wake up in the morning that is the best they're going to feel all day." -Frank Sinatra
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

fubar37

Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:24 pm

I also don't drink. I am 31 now and have never been drunk. I find that most people I Tell that i have never been drunk or don't drink respect it. As you said, there is nothing wrong with having a little drink and having fun I just choose not to. I never let peer pressure get to me. If I didn't want to drink then I just didn't. All of my friends drink and i go out with them all the time and laugh at them when they are drunk, plus i have the added advantage of always being the designated driver so i don't have to worry if i will make it home or not. In my teen years i would always listen to poeple tell stories about how drunk the got on the weekend and how they barfed in the toilet all night or how they walked home along the train tracks and had brusies all up thier legs and torn their pants becasue they kept falling down. All i could think of was, why? I Hate being sick, why would i want to make myself sick.
Anyways that's my two cents.
Happy Drinking to the rest of you!

AzoresLover

Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:35 pm

Also have never drunk, except for a little wine when I lived in the Azores and on those occasions when I really had little choice.

Birdwatching, your post could be a carbon copy for me. I enjoyed going to parties, etc, in college, but I never drank, nor was I ever made to feel bad because of it. It just wasn't an issue. I often was the designated person to get my friends home safely, a role which I didn't mind in the least!!

Basically, I too always want to be in full control, and to never have to wonder what I may have done while under the influence.

I also hold no bad feelings towards drinking by anyone else at all, except in one specific scenario: DON'T GET BEHIND THE WHEEL AFTER YOU'VE BEEN DRINKING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having lost a few students to drunk drivers when I was teaching school, and having lost both grandparents and an aunt to a drunk driver who ran a stop sign at 50 mph, (and of course wasn't hurt at all!), I am very passionate about drinking and driving.
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

TPASXM787

Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:45 pm

Well LHMark won't be contributing to this thread.

That being said, I drink in moderation. I think I went two weeks without a drink until last night. I drink when the mood suits me.

Now if I get in the way-back maching and go back to college, now that's a different story Big grin
This is the Last Stop.

MD11Engineer

Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:06 pm

I drink occasionally for the flavour, e.g. a good quality beer, a few glasses of a good wine or a shot of a good single malt whisky, but I hate to get drunk.
If I'm drunk I usually get euphoric and talkative first (sometimes to the annoyance of people I'm with), but later I become depressive.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

j_hallgren

Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:35 pm

I didn't have a drink until the day after my 22nd birthday...and then it was a small glass of beer at Pizza Hut with 3 friends for lunch...it make it easier to split the bill 4 ways...I never drank it for the alcohol...just as a beverage...

Since then, the most drinks I had in one nite was 3..back in my early 20's...never got anywhere close to being drunk...I would have a beer at company parties (as sodas were too hard to get) but was VERY happy when no-alc beers became available...nowadays, I have a glass of wine with dinner with friends maybe 2-3 times a year..have not had a beer/mixed drink for years...
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

tmatt95

Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:44 pm

I also don't drink alcohol. It is probably partly down to watching what people can be like, when drunk, on Police Stop Action type TV shows. I also do not like the thought of not being able to control myself/ the morning after.

Quoting AzoresLover (Reply 12):
Birdwatching, your post could be a carbon copy for me. I enjoyed going to parties, etc, in college, but I never drank, nor was I ever made to feel bad because of it.

I am at college and have also never been made to feel bad for choosing to stick to the coke/ non alcoholic drinks.

flpuck6

Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:50 pm

I wish I could drink alcohol, but my stomach has an awful time digesting it ... if I drink wine with my dinner, I get sick  Sad

Consequently, I don't drink alcohol, I'd rather eat, but never do I hold it against those who do drink! LOL
Bonjour Chef!

saigonhouston

Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:04 am

Gosh...why should I even open this thread. 100% Non-alcohol drinkers means boring people to be around at the party or group gathering.

A glass of wine, a beer or a cocktail doesn't harm anything. Can you imagine yourself at Italian restaurant for dinner with a date and drink ice tea or soda with your pasta? uhhhhhhhhh

P.S. To all Non-alcohol drinker(s): Please post your picture along with your reply.

saigonhouston

gkirk

Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:06 am

Quoting Saigonhouston (Reply 18):
P.S. To all Non-alcohol drinker(s): Please post your picture along with your reply.

P.S. This isn't a photo thread  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

saigonhouston

Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:22 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 19):
P.S. This isn't a photo thread

I bet you they are look very  grumpy .  old  and boring...

diesel1

Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:43 am

It would be clearer if the thread title was "Teetotal - And proud of it! Anyone else?" as this would more clearly indicate your point.

By mentioning "alcoholic" you're suggesting some dependancy on drink and you're starting to get into what could be emotional territory.

This could explain why some may think the thread indicates a disapproval of drink and/or drinkers.

Cheers(!)
I don't like signatures...

Birdwatching
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:48 am

Can you imagine yourself at Italian restaurant for dinner with a date and drink ice tea or soda with your pasta?

Just look at my profile, there are planty of pictures. Do I look like a super boring geek? Your call.

Do I drink ice tea at the italian place when I'm on a hot date? Yes I do.

Do I have a girlfriend who respects me for that? Yes.

Is she a super boring geek? Your call, again (theres a picture of her too)

A319114

Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:50 am

Gosh...why should I even open this thread. 100% Non-alcohol drinkers means boring people to be around at the party or group gathering.

What you're basically saying is that people need alcohol to be amusing.  irked  Quite a.. strange statement. I drink (actually, I'm having a beer right now  bigthumbsup  ), but if people don't drink I'm totally fine with that. Furthermore, I dont find non-drinkers any less social or amusing than drinkers, and if there would be a difference, it would be more likely the other way around.
Destruction leads to a very rough road but it also breeds creation

LGW

Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:14 am

Hi all,

Just imagine the scene, Saigonhouston takes a lovely lady out to a nice Italian restaurant, he orders a glass of wine, she orders an ice tea or soda Big grin

Cheers

Ben Pritchard

WellHung

Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:16 am

So you drink O'Douls? That's nothing to be proud of.  sarcastic 

ScarletHarlot

Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:22 am

Quoting LGW (Reply 24):
Saigonhouston takes a lovely lady out to a nice Italian restaurant

I think you'd make your point to Saigonhouston better if you said "Saigonhouston takes a hot young man out to a nice Italian restaurant..."  Big grin
But that was when I ruled the world

ManuCH
Crew

Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:36 am

I only drink when others drink, just "to have a beer" once in a while - but only when I don't have to drive. When driving I never drink alcohol, not even the amount allowed by law. But if I'm alone or so, I'd never drink alcohol. I see it as something to do in company, just because the others do. It's not that I dislike alcoholic beverages, but I could live without them.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

erikwilliam

Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:46 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 22):

dude, why did you care if he thinks your a geek because you don´t drink?
Lucky you he found you´r a geek, that way he won´t be going after your a$$

on a side note, alcohol in small portions can actually do good for you, it dilactates the vains, making more blood run etc etc
probably not waht happens to most of us(me, niji, sabena....)

be happy man, don´t wanna drink?better, more for me to drink!
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

DrDeke

Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:03 am

I dunno; I drink water at Italian restaurants or with Italian food that I cook at home all the time. Sometimes I'll have a couple glasses of wine instead but I frequently prefer water. Although I do drink socially on other occasions than dinner  Smile.

Where I could mirror Birdwatching's post is with the eating of meat. I haven't eaten any (at least not on purpose or knowingly) since I was about five years old. (I am now 22.) Like Birdwatching, I have no particular reason for this. I do not care if animals are killed and eaten, nor do I belong to a religion that prohibits the practice. It's really a matter of habit more than anything at this point.

-DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

ltbewr

Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:19 am

The choice of not drinking is like that of smoking - if you never get into it, your probably better off. For many young people, especally women, it does put you at greater risk for bad beheavor, injury or even death. Let's face it, many people drink for the wrong reasons and sometimes end up with drinking problems and addiction.
You are not alone in choosing not to drink. Even in places with high percentages of drinkers, you will find strict teetotalers, for health reason, not because of religion. I have known people whom have serious allegeric reactions to using alcohol. Others many take prescription drugs for or have ongoing health problems that cannot allow the use of alcohol.
Besides, who want's to be drunk during sex (both you and the lady)? Your willy won't work so good, you get sloppy as to who your with, forget about birth control and so on.  biggrin 

AA777

Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:24 am

I dont drink; religious upbringing, and also because I am part Native American, and that makes my risk for alcoholism higher than most people....

-AA777

LGW

Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:50 am

Hi all,

"I think you'd make your point to Saigonhouston better if you said "Saigonhouston takes a hot young man out to a nice Italian restaurant...""

My bad! Babycham all round then Big grin

Cheers

Ben Pritchard

AeroWesty

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:02 am

I'd never understood the whole alcohol thing (maybe to the same degree people don't understand being homo isn't a "choice" ::shrug:: ) ... until a friend of mine who'd been sober for over a decade laughed at me one day and said, "You'll never make a good alcoholic, you can walk away from the table with something left in your glass." I still drink to moderation, what I want, when I want it, sometimes going a week or a month between having a drink or glass of wine.

There's something in me that says those who can take it or leave it, it's just not important to. For those who have to make a stand against it, or be proud of being against it, have something within themselves to prove to themself or others.

I could also just be full of hot air.  Silly
International Homo of Mystery

redngold

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:30 am

I don't consume alcohol. I made a pledge when I was around 9 years old, with my best friend at the time, that I wouldn't consume alcohol until I was 21 years old. This was about the time that Ohio was working on raising the drinking age from 18 to 21.

I know I kept up my end of the bargain. I watched classmates of mine -- as young as 12 years old -- become binge drinkers and/or alcoholics. I saw several of my classmates encounter serious medical problems either directly or indirectly because of their alcohol use. One nearly died of alcohol poisoning at a "supervised" party and another developed traumatic epilepsy after a car accident involving alcohol. One grandparent on each side of my family was an alcoholic and other family members became drug users after alcohol wasn't good enough. Those, right there, are enough reasons for me not to consume alcohol.

In addition, I am now on medication that is incompatible with alcohol.

No thanks. I'm driving.  Wink
Up, up and away!

kevi747

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:34 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 4):
To be proud not to drink implies there's something wrong with drinking.

Exactly. I don't like people who have to tell you what they do or don't do in a thinly veiled attempt to make others feel "looked-down upon". It's like when vegetarians announce that they don't eat meat.

Quoting Birdwatching (Thread starter):
Many times, I feel they appreciate having a sober person around. You never know.

No, they don't. It's annoying and a buzz-kill.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

Sabena332

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:38 am

Quoting Kevi747 (Reply 35):
Quoting Birdwatching (Thread starter):
Many times, I feel they appreciate having a sober person around. You never know.

No, they don't. It's annoying and a buzz-kill.

That's true, at least for me. When my buddies and I get drunken, then all of us get drunken!

Usually we put the following sign on the door:

Wink Big grin

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

stirling

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:47 am

I stopped drinking when I pulled into my garage, and kept going, into the living room of my house.
Haven't missed it believe it or not.
Unfortunately, 90% of my friends still drink so I no longer "fit in".

But life is about choices, and not whose better than who.
Delete this User

carmenlu15

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:51 am

IMO, alcohol per se is not bad. Excessive alcohol is, though.

I do enjoy drinking the occasional beer or tequila (as several a.nutters can attest  silly  ); however, I never understood the great deal in drinking till you drop. What's the fun in enjoying the party if you end passing out and forgetting what you did the night before? And yes, sometimes I get strange looks when people learn I've never been drunk... well, so be it. Thank God there are no alcoholics in my family, but at work I've seen several promising careers go to waste due to alcohol abuse.

I've said it before, and I say it again: for me, the best part of a party is not getting drunk, but LMAO at what the rest of the people do when drunk  Wink

Saludos  champagne 
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

LHMark

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:55 am

I have a mix of friends who are drinkers and non-drinkers. When I entertain, I mke sure to keep some non-alcoholic beer around. We're a crowd in our late twenties- early thirties, so it doesn't even occur to us to give someone shit for not drinking.

Incidentally, the best Non-Alcoholic beer I've found in the states is Bitburger Drive. it doesn't have that vaguely chemical near-beer taste at all. I keep some around to drink with meals, or when I want a beer but not any alcohol.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Sabena332

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:59 am

Quoting LHMark (Reply 39):
Incidentally, the best Non-Alcoholic beer I've found in the states is Bitburger Drive.

In my opinion is it also the best alcohol free beer (Pils) in Germany

Quoting LHMark (Reply 39):
I keep some around to drink with meals, or when I want a beer but not any alcohol.

I always have some bottles of alcohol free Erdinger here, sometimes I drink them in the afternoon (when it is too early to drink alcohol) or late at night (when it is too late to drink another beer).

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

S12PPL

Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:48 am

Awesome...we have ourselves a DD, guys!! Smile
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

ArmitageShanks

Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:59 am

Quoting NUair (Reply 5):
think their is a big difference between being an alchoholic (as your thread suggests) and having a drink.

As someone pointed out, everything in moderation (except sex of course).

Being addicted to sex can be a very bad thing. I went to rehab with a woman who was addicted to sex. It ruined her career and family.

erikwilliam

Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:04 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 36):

you gotta love this guy!!

kevi747

Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:20 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 36):

I want that sign!!!!! I think I'll print it out and enlarge it.  bigthumbsup 
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

saigonhouston

Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:22 pm

Quoting LGW (Reply 24):
Just imagine the scene, Saigonhouston takes a lovely lady out to a nice Italian restaurant, he orders a glass of wine, she orders an ice tea or soda

It will not going to happen...and it won't be

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 26):
think you'd make your point to Saigonhouston better if you said "Saigonhouston takes a hot young man out to a nice Italian restaurant..."

I always have my pick and choice for my course of meal.  smile 

Anyway.....gotta go pack my stuffs for early flight out of Houston. I am escaping from the hurrican Rita.

God bless state of Texas and greater Houston metropolitan.

saigonhouston

AR1300

Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:07 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 7):
certainly not because I'm mormon, and not because I have heavy medication, or because I have Liver disease.

crazy  Please for God's sake, someone shoot him.  Wink Big grin

100% Non-alcohol drinkers means boring people to be around at the party or group gathering.

That's by far the stupidest thing that you've ever posted.Even stupider than your beloved men's crotch smell post.

Mike  Yeah sure
You are now free to move about the cabin

saigonhouston

Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:24 pm

[quote=AR1300,reply=46]That's by far the stupidest thing that you've ever posted.Even stupider than your beloved men's crotch smell post.

One thing I have for you prior to my departure for Rita hurrican. Suck the hell and f off. Then brush your f noise along my mangina.

mrniji

Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:47 pm

Quoting Redngold (Reply 34):
know I kept up my end of the bargain. I watched classmates of mine -- as young as 12 years old -- become binge drinkers and/or alcoholics.

And I exactly belonged to that very age group when I started. And within the years, I learned how to responsibily consume (experiences of excessive drinking with peers, etc. etc - and we used to drink A LOT, A LOT). And I am happy that it happened like this - own experiences are better than any moral lecture in general. It always depends though "how you are guided" through this process (i.e. how your personality developes) - the problem is that some people mature and some don't. My parents have never condemned me (they love to drink, too Big grin , and rather showed me together how to drink responsibly - my fathers bar remains amazing, but this is another story)

Now, I still love to be drunk once in a while (let's say I don't mind if it happens). I just don't put any limits, just let it go. But I can guarantee that I have never reacted inproperly being intoxinated (no drunk-driving, no risky-pisky adventures, no aggressive personality etc etc) and have never changed my personality per se. Since my overall consumption as such is quite controlled, I am happy the way it is. Everyone needs to find the own modus vivandi, and it is good if the people in the environment stand for a strong, responsible social network

RobertNL070

Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:03 pm

Not having read all the posts, I think this question has less to do with alcohol and more to do with resolve. A college student can a lot suffer from peer pressure: at a party "Come on Sören, have a beer (be cool)", and Birdwatching, you haven't given in to that. I suspect that people who have never touched a drop of alcohol are rather like those who have never smoked: rather mild in their judgement of those who do partake (and of course there are exceptions).

Good for you Birdwatching.

Regards, Robert  bouncy 
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.