TedTAce
Topic Author

'Our' Christian "Values" - Not!

Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:32 am

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/23/D8CPU38G8.html
" ONTARIO, Calif.

A 14-year-old student was expelled from a Christian school because her parents are lesbians, the school's superintendent said in a letter. "

redflag   redflag   redflag   redflag   redflag   redflag   redflag 

Shouldn't they be focusing on more Christian values like fundraising for Hurricane victims? And people have the temerity to wonder why I hold a grudge against organized religion  Yeah sure
This space intentionally left blank

NUAir

Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:39 am

What? No pictures of the parents? We need a visual reference on this one.

"Your family does not meet the policies of admission," Superintendent Leonard Stob wrote to Tina Clark, the girl's biological mother.

Doesn't everyone at least have a gay uncle Rick? I guess Cheney's daughter wouldn't have been able to attend such a prestigious institution.
"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet

Lutenist

Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:40 am

These religious yahoos are the same everywhere. The concept of live and let live is totally foreign to them. And I think they can only concentrate on one issue at a time. For example, this past year you'd think that in Canada the only important political/social/cultural issue for the religious right is preventing same-sex marriage.

An-225

Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:41 am

In my opinion, the kid is better off. Maybe he won't grow into one of those homophobic bigots this country is full of...

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

TWFirst

Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:58 am

I don't understand why they would enroll their kid in such a place anyway...
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

ANCFlyer

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:06 am

Quoting An-225 (Reply 3):
In my opinion, the kid is better off. Maybe he won't grow into one of those homophobic bigots this country is full of...

checkmark 

Quoting TedTAce (Thread starter):
And people have the temerity to wonder why I hold a grudge against organized religion

checkmark 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

theCoz

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:13 am

A 14-year-old student was expelled from a Christian school because her parents are lesbians, the school's superintendent said in a letter. "

Maybe the people who run the school should realize that they are sinners just the same, and shut the whole school down. Hypocrites...

baylorairbear

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:18 am

Quoting NUair (Reply 1):
Doesn't everyone at least have a gay uncle Rick?

Nope, not me.

BAB
I'm just skipping stones...

diamond

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:25 am

Quoting NUair (Reply 1):
Doesn't everyone at least have a gay uncle Rick?

It's RICHARD, you cad.  Smile  Smile
Blank.

MaverickM11

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:29 am

Quoting NUair (Reply 1):
What? No pictures of the parents? We need a visual reference on this one.

Given the vast majority of lesbians I've seen, they're nothing like you'd imagine, or rather, fantasize.
E pur si muove -Galileo

b757300

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:50 am

It is a private school and they can allow or prohibit anyone they wish. The same holds true for all private school whether religious based or not.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

Scorpio

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:59 am

Quoting B757300 (Reply 10):
It is a private school and they can allow or prohibit anyone they wish. The same holds true for all private school whether religious based or not.

Doesn't change a thing about them being assholes for doing it..

OzarkD9S

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:59 am

So true, if you're not receiving public funds you have the right to be as big an asshole as you wish.
Next up: STL-CVG-MKE-MSP-STL.

theCoz

Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:00 am

Yes, but does that make it right? They're still bigots.

1MillionFlyer

Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:06 am

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 7):
Nope, not me.

That you know of  Smile
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

baylorairbear

Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:14 am

Quoting 1MillionFlyer (Reply 14):
That you know of

crossfingers 

BAB

AeroWesty

Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:20 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 12):
So true, if you're not receiving public funds you have the right to be as big an asshole as you wish.

It's a school sponsored by a tax-exempt religious order, so in a way it is receiving public funds.  Wink
International Homo of Mystery

TedTAce
Topic Author

Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:30 am

Yeap, and we can choose to ignore and not to contribute to such bigoted organizations. Too bad you won't identify your business because I would love to boycott it.

Matt D

Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:40 am

AN ULTIMATUM TO THE CHRISTIANS

We abhor you

Your values are outdated and unfair

You represent everything we are against

If you don't let us join you, we're going to sue you

Signed,
The Atheists

777236ER

RE: 'Our' Christian "Values" - Not!

Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:51 am

So let's keep a tally of the people who support what the school did:

B757300
Matt D
Your bone's got a little machine

TedTAce
Topic Author

Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:51 am

Quoting Matt D (Reply 18):
Signed,
The Atheists

Matt,

Next time you are going to do a 'signed by' at least make an HONEST effort to make it come CLOSE to funny.

tristarenvy

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:15 am

Personally, I guess I'm a "Middle Of The Road" Christian then, as I wouldn't have a huge problem with the parents. If they are providing a loving, safe environment, then good for them, and let the child stay. What goes on in their bedroom is none of my business. Live and Let Live.

Okay, I don't agree with the life style, but I have a real hard time with some of the ideas that these so-called Christians try to push off on us. I believe in the 'love your neighbor" version of religion, as opposed to the "They're different?!? Going to Hell!!!" crap that I hear coming out of our alleged moral leaders.
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

B744F

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:22 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 12):

Wrong and wrong

Matt D

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:23 am

Ok..try this on for size:

ULTIMATUM TO THE CHRISTIANS

If we disagree with you, we are practicing our First Ammendment rights to free thought and expression.

If you disagree with us, you are practicing mean spirited hatred.

Signed,
The Atheists

IAD2BTR

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:25 am

I have always wondered why some 'Christians' are more concerned with what other people do with their genitalia that with more spiritual pursuits.
Club Med in Cancun 2008 Atlantis Events

Scorpio

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:49 am

Quoting Matt D (Reply 23):
Ok..try this on for size:

ULTIMATUM TO THE CHRISTIANS

If we disagree with you, we are practicing our First Ammendment rights to free thought and expression.

If you disagree with us, you are practicing mean spirited hatred.

Signed,
The Atheists

Nope, still no-one laughing.  Yeah sure

This child was banned for something it had nothing to do with, something it could change nothing about. That's pure discrimination, and while it may be legal for them to do it, it still makes them assholes, as well as the people defending this pure discrimination.

Matt D

Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:02 am

Be that as it may, they are being no more and no less an asshole than some other school denying a white applicant who otherwise meets all criteria so that a black person [who may or may not also meet the requirements] can have that spot for no other reason than he is black.

The thinking is that "well we need to level the playing field and right past wrongs that the whites did" even though the bumped white person is guilty of nothing more than being white.

TedTAce
Topic Author

Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:38 am

Quoting Matt D (Reply 26):
Be that as it may, they are being no more and no less an asshole than some other school denying a white applicant who otherwise meets all criteria so that a black person [who may or may not also meet the requirements] can have that spot for no other reason than he is black.

You know Matt, if you would have had a better GPA, this wouldn't have happened to you and you probably wouldn't be quite so bitter.

MD11junkie

Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:40 am

Quoting An-225 (Reply 3):

Ditto. Any country is full of that.

Nobody is to decide whether someone is morally right or wrong. I believe in God, but not in religion. Religion is a big 'dogma' and I don't need someone to tell ME how to live MY life. What they are doing with this kid is denying her a basic right granted by every constitution, education.

'The bible? Everyone is a sinner except for the one who wrote it.'

Signed,
Homer Simpson.

My two cents

Cheers!
Gastón - The MD11 Junkie
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

jpetekyxmd80

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:07 am

Thank you. You shall join AA777jr on the list of A.net legal beagles. The real question is about what is JUST. Not that I expect anything further to be said by you.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

Matt D

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:35 am

Nobody is to decide whether someone is morally right or wrong.

It's that mentality and attitude that is arguably the biggest problem in the world today: moral relativism, which feeds off of hubris and just plain being a self centered ass. If nobody is wrong, then how can everybody be right? And if no one dares tell you YOUR'E wrong, who are YOU to tell me that I am?

As far as I am concerned, moral relativism is tantamount to stopping just short of saying you support anarchy.

The world would be a much nicer and peaceful place if there were some absolute rights and wrongs established. Cuz guess what?

the current system isn't doing too well.

If everyone agrees that 2+2 equals 4, then there really wouldn't be much to fight over. But since some folks think it equals 5, and others 46, and others think it mean zero while others don't really care, and still others dodge the question by asking what you'd LIKE it to equal, then that's where the problems begin.

n229nw

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:39 am

So sad.

I see a trend here for which it is difficult to predict the outcome.

The twentieth century was largely an age of secularization and science, a trend continuing since the 17th century really. But it seems the pace of technological progress--and the fact that specified scientific knowledge has become less and less understandable to the average person--has begun to prduce, in the last 20 years, a sizable minority that wants to run away from the whole enterprise and hide in the middle ages. There are many other reasons for the rise of fundamentalism, but this is certainly among the most important: too much change for people to understand, coming too quickly.

The real clash of civilizations is not between fanatical Christians, Muslims, Jews etc. in any combination. It is between the growing strength of fundamentalism in all these religions and the increasing secularism of many parts of society across the world.

An optimistic part of me feels that, if rationalism and tolerance could win out in 17th century Europe, a much MORE fundamentalist time than ours, that they can win out today as well, in the long run.

That is if we don't all blow each other up first...
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

aa757first

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:51 am

I agree with this, but I personally would not expel the girl because of this.

There was a similar debate going on a few months ago when a pregnant girl was told she couldn't participate in the graduation ceremonies. That I thought was an excellent decision by the administration since she was the one that made a poor choice. This girl really doesn't have much say in her parent's lifestyle and shouldn't be punished for this.

Did this happen before the school started?

AAndrew

MD11junkie

Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:05 am

Quoting Matt D (Reply 30):
If everyone agrees that 2+2 equals 4, then there really wouldn't be much to fight over. But since some folks think it equals 5, and others 46, and others think it mean zero while others don't really care, and still others dodge the question by asking what you'd LIKE it to equal, then that's where the problems begin.

Really? There's something written there. Btw, to quote myself:

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 28):
Nobody is to decide whether someone is morally right or wrong.

So your point has nothing to do with my quote.
You cannot tell me if I'm morally wrong for being gay. You do not rule my life. In my morale it is good. If it in yours its bad, keep it to yourself. Your rights end where mine starts. Everyone is entitled to be gay, lesbian, bi, zoophilic - as long as he doesn't bother, hurt anyone in society. Basic legal principle.

Cheers!
Gastón - The MD11 Junkie

[Edited 2005-09-24 00:16:25]
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

jpetekyxmd80

Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:10 am

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 32):
That I thought was an excellent decision by the administration since she was the one that made a poor choice.

Whatever. There is, however, one choice that overshadows this: life. Think about it.

AA777

Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:33 am

I am christian, and I think that is ridiculous for a school to punish a child for the parents' "lifestyle" ..... The child is there for an EDUCATION. Religious, SCHOOL, whatever. The parents have nothing to do with that. And if the child is punished for what the schools see as the parents inappropriate lifestyle, its probably better for the student to go to a school that is more open minded and NOT to one apparently made up of christian fundamentalists, who do not know the true meaning of Christianity.

-AA777

jpetekyxmd80

Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:42 am

Quoting AA777 (Reply 35):
I am christian, and I think that is ridiculous for a school to punish a child for the parents' "lifestyle"

No, you're not.

Signed,
Matt D

aerorobnz

Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:07 am

Quoting IAD2BTR (Reply 24):
I have always wondered why some 'Christians' are more concerned with what other people do with their genitalia that with more spiritual pursuits.

That pretty much sums it up. Christianity and the rest of the organised religions are just token gestures, a nice big bow to sum up a complicated world into a regulated and restricted existence.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

sidewinder

Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:31 am

Shouldn't they be focusing on more Christian values like fundraising for Hurricane victims? And people have the temerity to wonder why I hold a grudge against organized religion

First of all Christian values should come from scripture (The Christian Bible) So my question to you is What do you know about scripture????

If you have no idea what's written in it how can you even comment on it? You don't even believe that their is a God! So what do you care what the Christians do!

Now, Why do the Christians see homosexual/lesbian behavior as sin?....simple! because it is written in the bible!(verses can be provided if you like) It is a simple as that! God said it, not me. Your beef is with God, not Christians. You pick on the very people that would give the shirt off their back if you asked them.
"I don't think I will ever get over Macho Grande"

searpqx

Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:51 pm

Quoting Sidewinder (Reply 38):
You pick on the very people that would give the shirt off their back if you asked them.

As long as the person asking isn't gay of course, then it's ok to discriminate in any way you like, cuz the bible says so.  sarcastic 
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

MD-90

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:27 pm

The Superindentent's statement:
http://www.ocschools.org/letterfromsuperintendent.pdf

The school's website:
http://www.ocschools.org/

Please note that the superintendent states that "The school forms a voluntary partnership with parents who seek the same discipleship." Clearly, a homosexual couple does not qualify under that standard, according to the school.

Even if I was running a Christian school, I personally wouldn't have such a policy, but I understand why they do and I'm not bigoted enough to call them a-holes for doing so. I sure hope that some of you don't consider yourselves to be "tolerant."

n229nw

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:30 pm

Now, Why do the Christians see homosexual/lesbian behavior as sin?....simple! because it is written in the bible!(verses can be provided if you like) God said it, not me. Your beef is with God, not Christians.

As has been said multiple times, the bible also allows polygamy, slavery (as long as the slaves come from neighboring countries) and also suggests that people who work on the sabbath should be stoned to death, etc. Would people who disagree with these things "have a beef with God"?

Finally, although the bible suggests homosexuality is a sin, it also states, in MANY MORE FORMS AND MANY MORE TIMES, that all people should love their fellow humans and let God judge them.

So what do you think. Should a good Christian fixate on one issue, or follow Jesus's broader message of love?

[Edited 2005-09-24 06:34:37]
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

DrDeke

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:50 pm

Now, Why do the Christians see homosexual/lesbian behavior as sin?....simple! because it is written in the bible!

I can't wait until the evil, evil "moral relativism" is destroyed and replaced with this. I think it'd be great to have people dictate the way I live my life based on a book that they declare to be the absolute truth.

Claiming to posess an all-encompassing, infalliable and universal set of "correct" moral values strikes me as one of the highest forms of hubris. If one person says that it is "morally wrong" to be homosexual and another person says that it is not, how are we to reconcile the fact that both people claim this as the absolute, non-relative truth?

-DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

B744F

Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:01 pm

Quoting N229NW (Reply 41):
So what do you think. Should a good Christian fixate on one issue, or follow Jesus's broader message of love?

jesus said to not pay attention to all the violent teachings of the old testament, they were used to keep together and weed out the weak to allow the jewish race to prosper.

I really wish anti-religious zealots would not take a few examples like a powerful political-religious organization and their backwards views to proclaim their ideas about God and religion are true.

baylorairbear

Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:55 pm

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 39):
As long as the person asking isn't gay of course, then it's ok to discriminate in any way you like, cuz the bible says so.

Because nothing, and I mean nothing, is worse than having someone's gay back sweat on you!

Quoting B744F (Reply 43):
jesus said to not pay attention to all the violent teachings of the old testament

I could've sworn he said the same thing about UFO's.  scratchchin 

BAB

B744F

Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:57 pm

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 44):
I could've sworn he said the same thing about UFO's.

No but the bible does say strange objects in the sky is a sign of the coming apocalypse

baylorairbear

Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:07 pm

Quoting B744F (Reply 45):
No but the bible does say strange objects in the sky is a sign of the coming apocalypse

But balls flying at your face don't count.

BAB

ZKSUJ

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:50 pm

Sure its against values and stuff, but what did the 14 year old girl do? it's not exactly her fault

TedTAce
Topic Author

Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:01 pm

First of all Christian values should come from scripture (The Christian Bible) So my question to you is What do you know about scripture????

Simple. Nothing. What I do know is that Religion is supposed to be about compassion and understanding. Anything else is a CULT.

So what do you care what the Christians do!

pot-kettle-black. Why do Christians care what homosexuals do?

Your beef is with God, not Christians.

redflag  If God exists then he truly even has a plan for me which MY interpretation of that mission is to demonstrate to religious schills like yourself that you are following the word/hatred of MAN, not God.

You pick on the very people that would give the shirt off their back if you asked them.

And this attitude is relevant to this story how? Did you even READ the story or did you see

A 14-year-old student was expelled from a Christian school because her parents are lesbians, the school's superintendent said in a letter.

and decided that kicking a child out of school because of what their PARENTS do is OK? Are you are honestly telling me this is compassionate??

sidewinder

Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:46 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 48):
Simple. Nothing. What I do know is that Religion is supposed to be about compassion and understanding. Anything else is a CULT

No...The Christian religion is about Love! Feel free to read the book. You will have even more "ammo" for the Christians.

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 48):
If God exists then he truly even has a plan for me which MY interpretation of that mission is to demonstrate to religious schills like yourself that you are following the word/hatred of MAN, not God.

Uhhhh...I think you have God mixed up with satan. Tell me on person I said I hated? I simple don't agree with the lifestyle....as I would with any man who chooses to cheat on his wife...it's all the same thing in Gods eyes. (according to the bible) sin is sin wheather i cheat on my wife or rob a bank. What I am telling you doesn't come from me its in the book.
"I don't think I will ever get over Macho Grande"