Vio
Topic Author

Worst City In The World To Drive

Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:16 am

Hey,

I'm wondering what are the three worst cities in the world, that YOU have driven in (in terms of horrible drivers/traffic).

Mine:

1. Bucharest, Romania
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/klaus-dieter/TrafficBucuresti.jpg

2. Toronto, Canada

3. Detroit, USA

[Edited 2005-09-23 22:26:48]
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

AR1300

RE: Worst City In The World To Drive

Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:19 am

Heck here.Much worse than anything that I have seen.

Mike

P.S:Buenos Aires....  Smile
You are now free to move about the cabin

TedTAce

Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:26 am

Try Miami, Fl. during rush hour, talk about a Cluster.....
This space intentionally left blank

ArmitageShanks

Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:29 am

Knoxville, Tennessee.

senorcarnival

Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:31 am

State your reasons, too. In no particular order:
Houston, TX. Every lane is the fast lane and fast means at least 10 mph over the speed limit.
Sao Paulo, Brazil. The word "rush hour" has lost its meaning. Every hour is rush hour and the city is an eternal traffic jam.
Why is Bucharest so bad?
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

Vio
Topic Author

Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:33 am

Senorcanival,

The streets are narrow, too many cars for "post-communist" era. City planners were not expecting so many people would own a car. There's no respect or public curtesy. People will literally push you out of the way if you go too slow.  Smile

luisde8cd

Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:35 am

Caracas, Venezuela  Smile

erikwilliam

Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:38 am

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 4):
Sao Paulo, Brazil. The word "rush hour" has lost its meaning. Every hour is rush hour and the city is an eternal traffic jam.
Why is Bucharest so bad?

Average congested streets in Sao Paulo:

Morning
7am-9isham
Average:75km.
Yesterday:95km
Peak:132km

Evening
12pm-4pm
Average:45km.
Yesterday: 60km
Peak:100km

Night
5pm-9pm
Average:120km
Yesterday:150km
Peak:220km (that on a heavy rainy day, all city was congested)

Today, 23/09/2005@5h30pm 124km

Great deal I work 5min from home hã!?
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

Arniepie

Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:58 am

Try Beijing and other Chinese growing metropoles

Until 10 years ago practically nobody had a car and traffic was mostly by foot or bicycle, these days they are building ringroad after ringroad around the greater Beijing area and the whole system is infested by crappy cars with even worse drivers.
They have practically no idea what traffic rules are and the ones they know they usually don't follow.
Crossing a busy intersection is an adventure and one of the most dangerous job's in the country is traffic cop in the big cities.
4 years ago when I was working there (Hairun suburb) on a project for one of our big customers we decided to go and sit in a local hotel iso a bigger (western more luxurious) hotel in the center of the city, the main reason we decided to do this was because every day we witnessed some horrendous accidents and to shorten the trip and as such make it more safe we decided to stay in the smaller hotel.
Everything worked out fine the first 2 weeks but at that point our luck ran out when we (in a small Suzuki/isuzu taxi van) where involved in crash with a truck, the results where terrible; our (only 23 year old) electrician died as did the driver from our taxi, My colleague spend 6 months in rehab and I was in hospital for 11 months in total and had to learn to walk again (with a 3 yr rehab).
My company's insurance company showed us the unofficial traffic statistics (accidents, deaths, seriously injured, etc..) and I must say it reads as a horror novel.

In my former career as a service technician I can safely say that I saw most parts of the world and even without the accident I have to state that China takes the cake in the dangerous traffic section (although my colleague told me also some horrific story's about India and Thailand).
[edit post]

alberchico

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:02 am

1) Mexico City

2) New York during rush hour (trust me I know)

3) Los Angeles
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

swissgabe

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:08 am

Bangkok is bad and so is Tokyo. Traffic in Dhaka can also be bad.
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

Springbok747

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:11 am

1. Mumbai

2. Sydney (during rush hour).

3. All other Indian cities.
אני תומך בישראל

BR076

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:13 am

Bangkok is pretty bad too, never experienced such a chaos before  Smile

ú

RobertNL070

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:16 am

Jakarta, Indonesia

Regards, Robert  bouncy 
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

Sabena332

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:17 am

The worst I experienced:

• Rome (as passenger)

• Bangkok (as passenger)

• Los Angeles (as driver)

• New York (as driver)

• Patrick
    NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Arniepie

Quoting BR076 (Reply 12):
    Bangkok is pretty bad too, never experienced such a chaos before

I know when I was there about 6 yrs ago they had these mobile toilets driving thru traffic to "relieve" the poor bastards that got stuck in a traffic jam (usually until somewhere past midnight).
    [edit post]

JAGflyer

From what I have seen:

Los Angeles: Some highways (or "freeways") have 8 lanes in each direction.

Toronto: Morning/Rush-Hour on the Don Valley Parkway is terrible. The traffic is horrendous. No wonder they call it the Don Valley Parking Lot

Montreal: Most of the roads are in need of serious repair with potholes and cracks everywhere. You need to be a very agressive driver since a lot of people drive very recklessly.
    Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

Arniepie

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:19 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 14):
    Los Angeles (as driver)

New York (as driver)

Yes indeed a lot of traffic but the system can manage most of the time.
    For the US I always hated the traffic around and certainly inside the DC area.
    [edit post]

Avianca

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:23 am

as I heard, the indian citys are a nightmare ....

regards
    Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

texan

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:27 am

In no particular order:

Los Angeles - hit it at the wrong time (during daylight or darkness) and you can't get anywhere

Houston - 10 is under construction and only 3 lanes in each direction leading from Katy to 610. 610 does not move. Ever. Neither does 45 north of downtown.

New York - too many cars, too little room

Boston - try getting out to the Cape on Friday or Saturday or through downtown anytime

Texan
    "I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Alessandro

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:32 am

Any mega-city without proper public transportation, my vote goes to Bagdad...
    From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

IberiaA319

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:39 am

From what I've seen:

Cairo: No traffic lights are working in this huge city, and if they work, drivers don't care. Lack of enforcement of traffic rules, everyone drives like crazy...and you know what, I haven't seen a single accident!

airxliban

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:44 am

Los Angeles has been my home for the last 7 years and I can say that there is just about nothing in this world that drives me crazy as having to sit through LA traffic.

Now that said...Los Angeles traffic really isn't THAT bad. At least there are lanes and people generally stay in them. It is not difficult to drive in traffic, nor is it particularly nervewracking, it is just boring and tiresome. What makes it particularly difficult is the long distances involved.

I have also driven in a number of other cities like Beirut for instance, where driving laws don't exist, but there is a different way of driving in Lebanon and while you do have traffic jams, you're never in them for three hours.

Aleppo, Syria is reputed to be pretty bad, but in my experience the Syrians in Damascus at least stop at traffic lights, which is more than can be said for the Lebanese at times.

I haven't driven in Cairo but that looked like an absolute disaster!
    PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

Alias1024

Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:09 am

Quoting Texan (Reply 19):
    Houston - 10 is under construction and only 3 lanes in each direction leading from Katy to 610. 610 does not move. Ever. Neither does 45 north of downtown

I'd agree that 610 is a disaster. The road signs piss me off too. The signs in Houston are usually either incorrect or not there at all. I especially love the merge between I-10 East and Beltway 8 on the East side of town. They merged a lane from I-10 with a lane entering from Beltway 8 and didn't even put up a sign to warn you . Suddenly another car appears right next to you, and you have to slam on the brakes to avoid an accident.

Oh, London has some really nasty traffic too.
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

StarAC17

Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:21 am

Vio,

That looks like reasonably light traffic in YYZ. I have seen it so much worse.
    Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

ANCFlyer

Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:47 am

Paris France . . . no offense to the Frenchies, but those fuckers over there don't use turn signals, don't know why they even install them . . .

Rome Italy . . . the faster the better . . . okay, I'm good with that but holy shit!

Anchorage, Alaska . . . city planners didn't put any streets through to anywhere!!! And no synchronized stop lights! Bastards.
    FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

stirling

Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:58 am

There was a story out a few days ago calling Moscow pretty bad; based on the number of traffic deaths and pedestrian deaths..of which it leads.

Personanlly, My least favorite city to drive in would be either Madrid or San Francisco....Madrid's central city drove me nuts, and don't get me started on the greater Bay Area...in band stretching out 100 miles; it's always bad; and forget about using the Bay Bridge for the next two years....seismic retrofit in-progress.

Maybe I was there on a good day, but Paris wasn't too bad. Even during a general strike....or does that make traffic better?
    Delete this User

komododx

Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:59 am

1)Bogota, Colombia

2)South Florida Area

3)Tallahassee, FL - The city itself can be crossed by car in about 10-15mins, but b/w 4-7 pm it can take up to 1.5 hrs. Also, lanes seem to be much narrow here, which is weird since all you see 'round here are rednecks in those biiig juicy pick up trucks, trying to make up for something else. Add to that 40% of of the population being around 18-21 yrs of age, careless and reckless drivers, and the result is one of the worst cities I've driven in. I just got a new car 2 months ago and I have never, ever enjoyed driving it in this city for fear of getting into an accident due to negligence.

Stefano  wave 
    I'm homeless and unemployed

srbmod

Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:18 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 3):
    Knoxville, Tennessee.

Too many pickup trucks?????

People talk about how bad the LA traffic is, Atlanta's is right up there with them. If LA had the interstate and road system like we have in Atlanta, their rush hour would probably be 24/7. There are spots on the roads here in Atlanta that are congested 18-20 hours of the day. Atlanta's highways were poorly designed, and many of the bad spots are at least 5-10 years from being fixed. The way some of the exit ramps are, you would have thought a four year old designed them. There are exit ramps that merge right into the fast lane, you have on ramps that turn into exit ramps (example being where a N/S interstate and an E/W interstate have a junction. The SB off ramp onto the WB interstate runs right into the WB off ramp on the SB interstate), you have exit ramps with such sharp curves that at least once or twice a month a tractor trailer ends up on its' side in said curves, you have exit ramps that require you to go across several lanes of merging traffic in order to get to one of the exits on the merge, and you have exit ramps that are so short that traffic on them backs up for a quarter mile onto the interstate. I'm glad that most of my driving in Atlanta is opposite the flow of rush hour traffic.

ACDC8

Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:25 am

As far as bad drivers are concerend, my home town of Vernon BC takes the cake. We've only got a population of about 35,000 but it wouldn't surprise me if 28,000 of those are senior citizens. God forbid anyone here drive 51 km/h.
    A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

sidewinder

Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:39 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 2):
    Try Miami, Fl. during rush hour, talk about a Cluster.....

Ted, for once we agree on something! Ever try looking for a considerate driver in palm beach county? I know their has to be one out their.
    "I don't think I will ever get over Macho Grande"

Vio
    Topic Author

Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:41 am

ACDC8, Vancouver isn't so hot either... But compared to Toronto.. man.. you can't even compare.... I'm surprised Vernon would be bad. Calgary is pretty bad now, but just because of construction everywhere. In a few years it'll be great. (for a city of 1 mil.)

Vio
    Topic Author

Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:44 am

I should add that Pyongyang (however u spell that), North Korea, would have THE BEST TRAFFIC..  

EVERYONE AGREE?

[Edited 2005-09-24 03:44:36]

ME AVN FAN

Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:44 am

Quoting IberiaA319 (Reply 21):
    Cairo: No traffic lights are working in this huge city, and if they work, drivers don't care. Lack of enforcement of traffic rules, everyone drives like crazy...and you know what, I haven't seen a single accident!

-
    Well, the traffic lights in Cairo now are excellent if compared with the early 80ies, as they have been technically improved and the Cairenes have started to pay some attention to them. And the driving of the Cairenes has become VASTLY more decent and moderate in recent years. True enough, the driving in Cairo is rather challenging, but Cairenes are secure drivers. It becomes far more critical outside, for instance on the motorways towards Tanta and Alexandria, while it in Alexandria just is speedy (far speedier than in Cairo) but quite secure.

ACDC8

Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:46 am

Quoting Vio (Reply 31):
    ACDC8, Vancouver isn't so hot either... But compared to Toronto.. man.. you can't even compare.... I'm surprised Vernon would be bad. Calgary is pretty bad now, but just because of construction everywhere. In a few years it'll be great. (for a city of 1 mil.)

It's not the amount of traffic here, it's just the amount of excesivly bad driving. Personally, I enjoy driving in Vancouver much more because most of the drivers there aren't scared of the gas pedal. Even Kelowna is an ease to drive through (except at rush hour), but in Vernon you just go nuts!
    A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

LipeGIG

Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:45 am

No doubt,

Los Angeles & Sao Paulo

What a city pair ! Terrible!

Felipe
    New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

Chugach

Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:58 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 25):
    Anchorage, Alaska . . . city planners didn't put any streets through to anywhere!!! And no synchronized stop lights! Bastards.

Ya know....people in the lower 48 never believe me when I tell them how congested our little city can be. It can sometimes take me 40 minutes to drive 6 miles across town at rush hour--pretty pathetic for a city of 300,000!

As for me (besides Anchor-town):

Mexico City

Rome

Houston

New York

Los Angeles

Vancouver

And one that I'm surprised hasn't shown up yet.......Seattle, WA.
    GO ROCKETS

ANCFlyer

Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:04 pm

Quoting Chugach (Reply 36):
    Ya know....people in the lower 48 never believe me when I tell them how congested our little city can be. It can sometimes take me 40 minutes to drive 6 miles across town at rush hour--pretty pathetic for a city of 300,000!

I will never understand how we have Bragaw Road in 3 places, and none connect. How we have have 8 Fairbanks Streets, and none of them connect. How the hell we have a 4 lane major artery (C St) that is just now being connected to the other 4 lane major artery (O'Malley). Who ever designed this mess must have been smoking that "special green grass" from the Mat Valley.

And when is this new guy gonna synchronize the stop lights. Oh, and please note the next time you're turning left off Lake Otis to westbound Tudor the left turn arrow is now 30 seconds rather than 10!    Someone's waking up.

And of course - some moron wants to build an underground expressway from Fireweed to the bluff!! Ha Ha Ha - how long is THAT going to last in earthquake country!?

OK, enough ranting. Oh, wait - almost forgot - just who the hell is going to use the Bridge over Knik? There is no road over there?   

OK, I'm done now.   

[Edited 2005-09-24 05:17:37]
    FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

levent

Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:07 pm

My top three would be:
    - Bangkok, Thailand
    - Istanbul, Turkey
    - Rome, Italy

Chugach

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:41 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 37):
    I will never understand how we have Bragaw Road in 3 places, and none connect. How we have have 8 Fairbanks Streets, and none of them connect. How the hell we have a 4 lane major artery (C St) that is just now being connected to the other 4 lane major artery (O'Malley). Who ever designed this mess must have been smoking that "special green grass" from the Mat Valley.

And when is this new guy gonna synchronize the stop lights. Oh, and please note the next time you're turning left off Lake Otis to westbound Tudor the left turn arrow is now 30 seconds rather than 10! Someone's waking up.

And of course - some moron wants to build an underground expressway from Fireweed to the bluff!! Ha Ha Ha - how long is THAT going to last in earthquake country!?

OK, enough ranting. Oh, wait - almost forgot - just who the hell is going to use the Bridge over Knik? There is no road over there?

OK, I'm done now.

Ah, you left out the Dowling/Seward roundabout. Did you happen to see my letter to the editor in the ADN on Tuesday suggesting that whoever designed that clusterfuck be banned from Alaska? And why do I have a gut feeling that the same person talked the state into building ANOTHER one of those stupid things at O'Malley and C Street?

Newsflash to the transportation planners at the State of Alaska: Anchorage drivers + uncontrolled major intersection = PENDING DISASTER.

If/when the Knik bridge ever gets built, they will no doubt have to do some serious upgrading (i.e. four-laning) to Point MacKenzie Road. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the funding for that was included in Don Young's Way. I personally think the Knik bridge is worth it, so long as they do the necessary infrastructure improvement on the other side.

I don't know what to think about that underground freeway. On the one hand, the Glenn and Seward Highways need to be connected in the worst way, but still, an underground freeway?

And lastly, Gambell Street has got to be the most shining example of un-sychronized lights. Go two blocks, stop. Go two blocks, stop. Repeat for two miles.
    GO ROCKETS

TUNisia

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:47 pm

CAIRO !!! It's a madhouse to say the least.

Picture the chariot race in Ben Hur and instead of horses add old french cars. (read that in a book once, lol).
    Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

coewr777

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:48 pm

For a little city Tampa Bay is pretty bad

UK_Dispatcher

Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:28 pm

It has to be Cairo - absolutely crazy!

gkirk

Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:30 pm

M25 London - The biggest car park in the world  Smile
    M60/61/62 around Manchester
    When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

bragi

Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:53 pm

Muhammad Ali: "Superman don’t need no seat belt." Flight Attendant: "Superman don’t need no airplane, either."

JeffSFO

Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:40 pm

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 4):
    Houston, TX. Every lane is the fast lane and fast means at least 10 mph over the speed limit.

That's not a bad thing at all!  Wink

Quoting Stirling (Reply 26):
    don't get me started on the greater Bay Area...in band stretching out 100 miles; it's always bad; and forget about using the Bay Bridge for the next two years....seismic retrofit in-progress.

It depends on where you're driving. Granted, I've never had to commute to or from the East Bay (which I've heard is a disaster), but driving up and down the Peninsula on 101 & 280 isn't that bad. I live in north, central San Francisco and used to commute to Foster City and it was relatively easy. On a normal day each leg would take 35 minutes and on a great day I could do it in about 28.

mrniji

Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:46 pm

There is only one valid answer to this question: DELHI!

DELHI!

DELHI!

DELHI!

DELHI!

DELHI!

DELHI!

DELHI!

DELHI!

DELHI!

DELHI!
    "The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

Nimish

Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:57 pm

Quoting Vio (Reply 32):
    I should add that Pyongyang (however u spell that), North Korea, would have THE BEST TRAFFIC..

Wouldn't Rangoon (Myanmar) also fall in the same category  Smile

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 46):
    There is only one valid answer to this question: DELHI!

You must be kidding me! Delhi's traffic is like heaven compared to the mess in BLR. I swear, it's faster to fly from BLR to BOM, than to get to BLR airport from the city (6 kms can easily take 1 -1.5 hours during rush hour). BLR traffic is the worst in the whole world.
    Latest Trip Report - GoAir BLR-BOM-BLR

EZEIZA

Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:05 pm

1) Lagos, Nigeria .... chaotic traffic all the time
    2) Sao Paulo ..... the only city where I found traffic on a Saturday morning  Smile
    3) Rush hours are bad everywhere, but I found Madrid to be a real pain.

Buenos Aires can get pretty bad, but for such a big city traffic is relatively good. However, the way we drive ...., well, that's another story  Wink
    Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

HAWK21M

Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:27 pm

Crazy driving - New Delhi.
    Crazy Traffic Jams - Mumbai.
    regds
    MEL
    I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)