AeroWesty
Topic Author

He's Baaaaaack! Brownie Re-enlists At Fema

Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:39 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8514671/#050926a

At a meeting with staff of the special House committee looking into Katrina preparations today, the disgraced and displaced former FEMA director said he had rejoined the agency as a consultant to "provide a review" of how the agency functioned before, during, and after the storm. This according to two congressional sources.

A congressional aide told NBC News nobody's sure — but it is assumed Brown is being paid by FEMA. He is to testify tomorrow before that House committee, prompting our colleague Howard Fineman to joke that only in Washington would a man on his way to the electric chair be paid to belt himself in.

Maybe he won one of those no-bid contracts.

[Edited 2005-09-27 02:40:45]
International Homo of Mystery

tbar220

RE: He's Baaaaaack! Brownie Re-enlists At Fema

Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:51 am

Dang! You beat me to it.

This is kind of hard to believe. So "Brownie" got hired by FEMA to evaluate FEMA's performance under his watch? Does the phrase "conflict of interest" mean anything?

Another source on the story:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...878583.shtml?CMP=ILC-SearchStories

Sept. 26, 2005
6:44 p.m.
(CBS) � CBS News correspondent Gloria Borger reports that Michael Brown, who recently resigned as the head of the FEMA, has been rehired by the agency as a consultant to evaluate it's response following Hurricane Katrina.

Pathetic, outrageous, I don't know what else...
NO URLS in signature

ANCFlyer

Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:13 am

Well, they ought to hire that fucked up Mayor  hissyfit  and the left the ball park Governor  cry  as well . . . they can pen the chapters in the report to the public about exactly what NOT to do as the Mayor or Governor when facing a cat 5 storm . . . .

As much as FEMA is to blame, so are those two idiots . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Falcon84

Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:15 am

This is like a company hiring the burgler to figure out how the burgler broke in.

Talk about bureaucratic stupidity, this tops the cake.
Work Right, Fly Hard

tbar220

Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:19 am

ANC,

Why did you bring in the other two? What about a comment on the fact that FEMA rehired Brown to analyze FEMA's Katrina shortcomings while under his watch?

Your post, whether or not I agree with it, is completely off topic.
NO URLS in signature

CaptOveur

Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:22 am

I am not totally sold on this guy being the root of all the problems in the system. There were huge failures with Katrina, but I am not sure the buck stops with this guy. Don't turn this into a Bush bashfest based on this.

I am all about personal responsibility. However, this trend with our government towards pinning systemic failures on one person is a really bad idea. The system failed, not the man, and rather than using it as a learning experience and fixing the system we fire the guy and think the problem is fixed.. It's a band-aid. Not learning from mistakes is why our disaster response plans make us look like we were caught with our pants down continually.

They probably called him back because he knows where the snags are in the system and one of the few remaining people in charge whose head isn't shoved so far up their ass they can see what they ate for lunch yesterday knows this guy can be of some sort of help in improving future responses.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

ANCFlyer

Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:24 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 4):
Why did you bring in the other two? What about a comment on the fact that FEMA rehired Brown to analyze FEMA's Katrina shortcomings while under his watch?

Bringing Brown back is in fact ridiculous . . . in any status.

Bringing up the other two . . . they all screwed the pooch together TBar - they ALL need to testify in front of Congress about.

While Brown likely couldn't Manage his way out of a paperbag . . . neither can the other two . . . wanna get to the bottom of the problem . . . investigate ALL the players.

And my post was NOT off topic . . . it was dead on topic -

Quoting AeroWesty (Thread starter):
He is to testify tomorrow before that House committee

where the other two losaers ought to follow in short order.

Next?
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Mexicana757

Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:28 am

I should apply for a job with the goverment if its that easy to get in.

So lets see this man lied in his resume and got fired now was rehired as a consultant?? Our goverment at work.

TedTAce

Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:45 am

5 words:

It's the American FUCKING WAY!!!!
This space intentionally left blank

dan-air

Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:54 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 6):
Bringing up the other two . . . they all screwed the pooch together TBar - they ALL need to testify in front of Congress about.

While he was hiding from Cindy Sheehan and 300,000 protestors in Colorado this past weekend, didn't Bush hear from the military that we needed a national disaster plan? A strategy and plans to enable the evacuation of big cities in a hurry?

WTF? It has been how many years since 9/11 now? And the need to expedite the evacuation of major cities when disaster strikes is a surprise to the Bush crew? Thank God the adults are in charge.  sarcastic 

ANCFlyer

Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:05 am

Quoting Dan-Air (Reply 9):
While he was hiding from Cindy Sheehan and 300,000 protestors in Colorado this past weekend, didn't Bush hear from the military that we needed a national disaster plan? A strategy and plans to enable the evacuation of big cities in a hurry?

WTF? It has been how many years since 9/11 now? And the need to expedite the evacuation of major cities when disaster strikes is a surprise to the Bush crew? Thank God the adults are in charge

What I find interesting from folks like you Dan-Air . . . you advocate less government . . . and is this your advocation that the federal gov't ought to be responsible for the evacuation of all the cities??? Then WTF do we need a city gov't for? Ridiculous.

It's not PotUS, FEMA or anyone elses responsibility to get off their ass and evac a city . . . except that city government. If they have their head up their ass, you get a New Orleans style evac - "Go to the Superdome" . . . if they don't, well, you get a Galveston and Port Arthur and Biloxi style evac.

Next question?

ltbewr

Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:29 am

Time Magazine this week has a major article (see the cnn.com website for possible access to it) that suggests that there are other Brownies throughout the Bush Administation in key service areas. That is politically connected and possibly poor choices in key administation appoint posts, like Brown was.
I hope he is paying FEMA for his work, instead of him being paid. And you wonder why people hate government.

dan-air

Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:55 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 10):
What I find interesting from folks like you Dan-Air . . . you advocate less government . . . and is this your advocation that the federal gov't ought to be responsible for the evacuation of all the cities??? Then WTF do we need a city gov't for? Ridiculous.

Not sure when I have been an advocate for less government in this forum, but yeah I generally go for less government in the bedroom and especially when I am riding at multiples of the posted speed limit.

Beyond that I have this crazy old-fashioned notion that a certain portion of the taxes that I pay will be spent on disaster preparation. How much have we spent on DHS? What the F*** have we gotten for our money? And please - spare me the flannel about "gubmint no good, corporations efficient". Ain't this the primary reason for having government? To protect our sorry asses?

Local government should be required to do their part also - where do they get the money to implement the necessary measures? State governments cannot run deficits - they can't pull a George Bush and put it on the national credit card. Uh-oh! Sounds like a tax increase may be necessary - but we know that ain't gonna happen. States look to the federal government to manage the stuff that is beyond their means - like disaster management - based on manpower and equipment needs. What you are advocating is tha each city/state maintain a huge contingent of resources and equipment to deal with any emergency on its own - hardly a practical proposition.

ANCFlyer

Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:05 pm

Quoting Dan-Air (Reply 12):
Not sure when I have been an advocate for less government in this forum,

Only this thread, and it was a question? Are you advocating the federal gov't be responsible for evacuating the cities??? That would definitely require more gov't . . . just what we need more FEMA   

especially when I am riding at multiples of the posted speed limit

How much have we spent on DHS?

Ain't this the primary reason for having government? To protect our sorry asses?

But do we need the Federal Government to protect us from a Lousy State and Local Government??? Do we need DC to look at BTR and say, Blanco, you're fucked up, you're fired. Look at NOLA and say the obvious - Nagin, you're an idiot, get out - go home to Dallas?
Obviously not. We need strong state and local governments . . . which I don't see in this situation. It's not the federal government's fault that the leaders of Louisiana and New Orleans are idiots . . . it's the voters in Louisiana.

State governments cannot run deficits

Call Juneau and tell Governor Murkowski that . . . please.

What you are advocating is tha each city/state maintain a huge contingent of resources and equipment to deal with any emergency on its own - hardly a practical proposition.

Not at all . . . Anchorage has quite the prepared, prepackaged, ready to fire, contigency supply list waiting on the next 9.2 megaquake to come rolling through here. The State responded with the 7.9 earthquake in central Alaska two years ago within HOURS even without a road network. Airlifted fuel, medical supplies, etc. We just suffered a MAJOR hurricane strength storm on the western Alaska coast. Most of the city of Nome is currently underwater. No one knows that because, well this isn't about Katrina or Rita . . . and there ARE people on the ground helping. No one, NO ONE, is standing on a public street cussing and having a    because FEMA isn't handing out free everything to the people in Nome. Our Governor isn't on national TV    because Nome is screwed and he wasn't ready. YES, the cities and states - especially those in hazardous locations, damn well better be prepared. It's NOT the responsibility of the Federal Government.

[Edited 2005-09-27 05:09:03]

AeroWesty
Topic Author

Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:07 pm

Just reported on CNN's NewsNight with Aaron Brown, it's been confirmed that Michael Brown has remained on FEMA's payroll since his resignation. A non-resignation resignation? This should be interesting.

Falcon84

Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:10 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 14):
Just reported on CNN's NewsNight with Aaron Brown, it's been confirmed that Michael Brown has remained on FEMA's payroll since his resignation. A non-resignation resignation? This should be interesting.

Sure is darn nice to be protected by the Big Cowboy, eh Brownie. And you're doing a GREAT job, pardner.

Signed,

The President

Nice that Brownie has a Texas Sugar Daddy, isn't it?
Work Right, Fly Hard

BR715-A1-30

Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:21 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 3):
This is like a company hiring the burgler to figure out how the burgler broke in.

Talk to Frank William Abagnale Jr. FBI Hired him to figure out how to catch other con artists.
Puhdiddle

ANCFlyer

Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:30 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 15):
Sure is darn nice to be protected by the Big Cowboy, eh Brownie. And you're doing a GREAT job, pardner.

rotfl 

tbar220

Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:47 pm

Thanks, that's all I wanted to hear.

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 5):
I am all about personal responsibility. However, this trend with our government towards pinning systemic failures on one person is a really bad idea. The system failed, not the man, and rather than using it as a learning experience and fixing the system we fire the guy and think the problem is fixed.. It's a band-aid. Not learning from mistakes is why our disaster response plans make us look like we were caught with our pants down continually

If you fail drastically at your job, would you get fired? What would do you do? If you had a failure on the scale of Michael Brown's failure, would you be fired from your job?

Now taking that into account, don't you think in the slightest that this is slightly ridiculous that he's been hired to review the Katrina failures of FEMA while HE was presidnet? Think about it for just a second. Why are you defending him?
NO URLS in signature

ANCFlyer

Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:40 pm

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 18):

Thanks, that's all I wanted to hear.

Well, any status except hostile witness subpoened by congress to explain himself.

CaptOveur

Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:52 pm

If you fail drastically at your job, would you get fired?

Probably not if it is the first time a whole system has really been tested on that scale.

don't you think in the slightest that this is slightly ridiculous that he's been hired to review the Katrina failures of FEMA while HE was presidnet?

Maybe someone wants to fix the problems, he might just know what hindered him from doing his job. I am not saying act only on his word, but he probably can give some insight into where to start looking.

Why are you defending him?

Why do you always demand someone's head on a platter when the problem is far bigger than one man?

tbar220

Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:00 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 20):

Why do you always demand someone's head on a platter when the problem is far bigger than one man?

Because I believe in personal responsibility. This man was the head of FEMA, a government agency that drastically failed (even you admitted this). Now as the head, the guy that runs and organizes this agency, he failed in his job and was basically fired for it (resigned).

Let me turn the question to you. Why do you always defend someone when its clear that they have failed at their job? Why don't you hold people responsible for their failures?
NO URLS in signature

CaptOveur

Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:10 pm

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 21):
Why do you always defend someone when its clear that they have failed at their job? Why don't you hold people responsible for their failures?

I like personal responsibility too.. I just think the guy might have been railroaded to protect others. I know he is the leader, he is responsible.. but what did firing him really solve? did it make us more or less prepared for next time?

I guess you would rather blame the man and fire him than fix the system. I am not saying don't hold him responsible but there are a lot of factors that contributed this mess other than his failings.

I know firing him appeases the masses though, and that is what we are all about.

tbar220

Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:29 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 22):
but what did firing him really solve? did it make us more or less prepared for next time?

Uhhh... yea! He was incompetent to the extreme. He was fired from his last job, had no experience in this sort of stuff, and fibbed on his resume! So yea, firing him and appointing somebody else ought to make us more more prepared for next time. Anybody with experience would help FEMA be more prepared for the next disaster.

I guess you would rather blame the man and fire him than fix the system

Um, I'd rather blame him, fire him, AND fix the system by replacing him. As I said above, the first step to fixing FEMA is replacing its head and Brown was and should have been the first to go.

Now do you agree with re-hiring this man who was fired for incompetency?
NO URLS in signature

Falcon84

Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:59 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 20):

Is he the only problem, CaptOveur? Of course not, but this job was far, far beyond his puny capabilities, and he should never have been nominated by Mr. Bush, nor confirmed by the Senate. He had no business being where he was.

It's a start, and, from reading other things, there's more Mike Brown's in the government that Bush has put in SOLELY on their political connections, who have no business being where they are. They need to be found and gotten rid of.

So this man's head SHOULD have rolled, but so should others. And the American people should demand the president explain why a dolt like Brown was his choice to head the federal (non)response to Katrina.

I know he is the leader, he is responsible.. but what did firing him really solve? did it make us more or less prepared for next time?

Gee, I don't know-it got rid of someone who was incompetent and who SHOULD HAVE BEEN CANNED? Why is it you're so willing to cover Bush's ass and defend incompetent dolts like this guy?

I guess you would rather blame the man and fire him than fix the system.

Part of the process, CaptOveur, in fixing the system, is finding the flaws in FEMA, and can you sit there, adn tell me, with a straight face, that this jackass isn't PART of the problem? The failures in communication, in execution of response, in having a clue what was going on (example of FEMA and DHS not knowing for more than 48 hours that there was anyone in the Convention Center), lead to the top. In this case, to Mr. Brown and Mr. Chertoff, who run those respective agencies. Ultimately, it stops with the president.

You find the errors and the weak links, you correct them, and you make sure you do a better job next time.

Or, are you advocating that this dolt for some reason NOT be sent back to the dog and pony show-literally?
Work Right, Fly Hard

Falcon84

Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:58 am

And now, this guy who is staying on FEMA as a "consultant" is showing us why he's being allowed to stay on-so he can lay the blame everywhere but on his sorry ass self. He's blaming the mayor, the Governor, DHS, the entire population of Louisiana-laying all the blame everywhere except on himself, and, by default, the president.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/27/katrina.brown/index.html

He's done a disservice to his president, who appointed him; to the Congress, which confirmed him; to the agency he was supposed to run, and, in the end, to the American people, whom he was supposed to serve in time of crisis. Instead, he's saying it's everyone else's fault. Well, Brownie, there is fault on the Mayor, on the Guv, but there's also a lot of it on you and your "dysfunctional" agency, you son of a bitch.

I can't tell you the contempt I feel for this incredible loser right now.

To quote Oliver Cromwell: "You have sat too long for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"
Work Right, Fly Hard

redngold

Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:28 am

redflag   redflag   redflag   redflag   redflag 
The Buck... passes... here!

Argh.
redngold
Up, up and away!

seb146

Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:22 am

Sure, the mayor and governer could have used busses to get the poor and sick out of the city ahead of the storm. But was it the governer or mayor who blocked the convoy of trucks full of water from entering New Orleans? Was it the governer or mayor who told the ship loaded with diesel fuel to turn back? Was it the governer or mayor who kept rescuers out of the city until the president had his photo op? Was it the governer or mayor who told first responders to not respond? In addition to all of this, both the mayor and governer declared state of emergency and asked for government help before the storm even arrived? What did they get?

GO CANUCKS!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

CaptOveur

Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:29 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 24):
Why is it you're so willing to cover Bush's ass and defend incompetent dolts like this guy?

How does this relate to Bush? I know he appointed the guy but I don't care who appointed him.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 24):
can you sit there, adn tell me, with a straight face, that this jackass isn't PART of the problem?

He may be, I don't work for FEMA.. Do you?

AeroWesty
Topic Author

Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:33 am

Quoting Captoveur (Reply 28):
How does this relate to Bush?

From the cnn.com link Falcon provided:

The Washington Post reported earlier this month that the top three FEMA officials had ties to Bush's 2000 presidential election campaign. Five of eight top FEMA officials had no crisis management experience, the newspaper said.

That's how it relates to Bush. Brownie made $145,600 plus benefits last year. We deserved better for a campaign kickback.

CaptOveur

Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:43 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 29):
That's how it relates to Bush. Brownie made $145,600 plus benefits last year.

Gotta tell ya, I really don't care. He probably would have made more in a job in the public sector, the lies on his resume seemed to get by the federal government, I think maybe they would slip by the private sector. If the guy was so horribly incompetent and had lies on his resume where was the Senate during confirmation? It is called checks and balances.

My point was: not everything has to revolve around Bush. Unless you are Falcon84 I guess.

Boeing7E7

Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:50 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 27):
But was it the governor or mayor who blocked the convoy of trucks full of water from entering New Orleans?

The authority of Command and Control is a local issue unless relinquished to the Federal Government by the Governor, this did not occur until Thursday night after the Governor thought about it for 24 hours, as if the prior 48 weren't enough for her. FEMA can't do jack without a Governor allowing access. So how is this somehow a Federal Issue?

Was it the governor or mayor who told the ship loaded with diesel fuel to turn back?

See above.

Was it the governor or mayor who kept rescuers out of the city until the president had his photo op?

Not sure you know what you're talking about there. Rescuers were busy from day one. The others that moved in on Friday were part of an organized response. Fact is there was no order until FEMA was ALLOWED to get involved.

Was it the governor or mayor who told first responders to not respond?

First responders are the local law enforcement and rescue personnel under command of the Mayor, and the National Guard under command of the Governor. So you tell be who didn't tell who to respond.

In addition to all of this, both the mayor and governor declared state of emergency and asked for government help before the storm even arrived?

So did the President which got the ball rolling on the Federal side which still must wait for a State Government to grant access. The other states didn't have this problem, so why is Louisiana different? Ask the locals.

What did they get?

They got what every incompetent State or Local jurisdiction in the US gets when they don't follow the plans they had in their hands. What they deserved.

NWA742

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:09 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 23):
Um, I'd rather blame him, fire him, AND fix the system by replacing him.

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 21):
Because I believe in personal responsibility.

Those are the right attitudes to have, Tbar, and I agree with you. But ANC has a very good point.

You can't direct them towards just FEMA and the government, that won't solve the entire problem. Whether you believe it or not, the national government represents only a single factor of the overall problem of the response to Katrina.

You can't leave out people like Mayor  hissyfit  and Governor  cry . They've all played a role in this failure alongside the national government, and they, as well, should all be on the microphone explaining themselves, rather than just bitching at the feds.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

AeroWesty
Topic Author

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:10 am

Quoting Captoveur (Reply 30):
If the guy was so horribly incompetent and had lies on his resume where was the Senate during confirmation?

As been often stated and documented, Brownie was appointed as the DEPUTY FEMA Director, basically as Allbaugh's legal counsel, and since FEMA had lost its cabinet seat, Brownie was not required to go through a second confirmation hearing when Allbaugh left and Brownie assumed his post.

Brownie never had an official congressional confirmation as FEMA Director. If you can find one, post it.

seb146

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:18 am

Boeing7E7:

Both the mayor and governer were asking for help from the federal government *BEFORE THE STORM HIT!!!!* The fact that FEMA did nothing except block shipments of water and fuel and told their (FEMA's) first responders not to respond is another point. I fear for the people of Seattle and Tacoma if Mt Reiner blows up under this administration's watch. I can just see no Navy ships coming from (hopefully) Everett, since Bremerton would be in as sorry state at Seattle or Tacoma. The people along the Oregon and Washington coast are taking matters into their own hands and conduct tsunami drills. They are not waiting for a debacle from the feds.

GO CANUCKS!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

Boeing7E7

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:31 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 34):
Both the mayor and governer were asking for help from the federal government *BEFORE THE STORM HIT!!!!* The fact that FEMA did nothing except block shipments of water and fuel and told their (FEMA's) first responders not to respond is another point.

FEMA does not have first responders, First Responders are local in nature only. FEMA is a logistics and support agency. They didn't block anything. They wait for a request from the Governor and provide what is needed. Instead of yelling into Camera's they would have better spent their time opening their playbook (which they clearly never did), respond to the victims and allow FEMA to provide them with a flow of goods and services. Louisianna and New Orleans failed to ensure that the First Responders were available to assist. And that it the crux of the problem in Louisianna. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Federal Government.

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 34):
I fear for the people of Seattle and Tacoma if Mt Reiner blows up under this administration's watch. I can just see no Navy ships coming from (hopefully) Everett, since Bremerton would be in as sorry state at Seattle or Tacoma. The people along the Oregon and Washington coast are taking matters into their own hands and conduct tsunami drills. They are not waiting for a debacle from the feds.

1. They better have an evacuation plan and follow through on it.
2. They better make sure their cops stay put.
3. They better make damn sure the National Guard is ready.

If they don't the same exact thing will happen. The FED is not your babysitter.

tbar220

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:38 am

How does this relate to Bush? I know he appointed the guy but I don't care who appointed him.

Are you serious?

He may be, I don't work for FEMA.. Do you?

That is just asinine.

Quoting Captoveur (Reply 30):
He probably would have made more in a job in the public sector

Ahhhh, but that over $100,000 dollars he made this year is tax money! Its your money, its my money, its money that should have been better spent on a more competent director. Do you deny this?

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 32):
You can't direct them towards just FEMA and the government, that won't solve the entire problem. Whether you believe it or not, the national government represents only a single factor of the overall problem of the response to Katrina.

Absolutely! Of course not, I have criticized all levels of government for the Katrina failure. BUT, this thread is about Mike Brown, why should I start talking about the mayor or governor in a thread about the rehiring of "Brownie" to FEMA? I just think its off topic.

The topic, and my opinion stands, is that it disgusts me that Brown has been rehired by FEMA to analyze the failures of this organization, while HE was its head! This is just outrageous. Want to comment on that fact?
NO URLS in signature

NWA742

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:45 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 36):
I have criticized all levels of government for the Katrina failure.

I don't deny that, but from what I've seen, I'd say you level the majority of your criticism towards the federal government and the president.

BUT, this thread is about Mike Brown, why should I start talking about the mayor or governor in a thread about the rehiring of "Brownie" to FEMA? I just think its off topic.

I see you're point, but I disagree. This is not just about Mike Brown, this is about a government employee who screwed the pooch and testifed his failures because of it. The fact and the problem that other government employees are not doing the same whenever they need to, is an issue, and it does relate to this topic.

it disgusts me that Brown has been rehired by FEMA to analyze the failures of this organization, while HE was its head! This is just outrageous. Want to comment on that fact?

I agree with you.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

tbar220

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:53 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 37):
I don't deny that, but from what I've seen, I'd say you level the majority of your criticism towards the federal government and the president.

Well you're right. Criticism of Nagin and Blanco and whoever else is for other threads, and has been discussed. If there's a thread, I'll respond.

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 37):
This is not just about Mike Brown, this is about a government employee who screwed the pooch and testifed his failures because of it.

Well, this thread IS just about Brown. Its not about his testimony today, its about the fact that he's working for FEMA again.
NO URLS in signature

dragon-wings

Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:41 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 38):
its about the fact that he's working for FEMA again.

I heard on NBC Nightly news tonight that he might be working for FEMA again so his testimony has to be appoved by the White House.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

AeroWesty
Topic Author

Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:55 am

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 39):
his testimony has to be appoved by the White House.

So how would that work? A Republican White House approving the testimony to a Republican-controlled Congress, investigating a Republican appointed for his campaign favors?

IF that's true, I can understand why the likes of Pelosi boycotted these hearings, along with her other objections.

I'd like other confirmation of this, and the extent of what has to be approved, before I come to too many conclusions, however.

B744F

Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:40 am

checks and balances = old and busted

ANCFlyer

Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:26 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 40):
I'd like other confirmation of this, and the extent of what has to be approved, before I come to too many conclusions, however.

I did hear this reported as well . . .

Something about, "As long as Brown is still on the Federal Payroll, he is a political appointee and his testimony will be approved by the White House".

Like you I think it makes no sense at all a Republican panel, questioning a Republican appointee, with answers approved by the Republican White House? WTF? How much tax $$$ is THAT costing?

IF that's true, I can understand why the likes of Pelosi boycotted these hearings, along with her other objections.

Well, my opinion of Pelosi aside, I don't see why any democrat passed this up. And watching some of those hearings it's clear that Brown was in a very hostile environment . . . . it apparently didn't matter that he was a repub.

11Bravo

Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:51 am

Although this whole deal sounds a bit shady, I would point out that there is a Federal employment regulation that requires compensation for testimony by former employees at least in some situations.

I had to testify in a civil proceeding as an expert witness on behalf of my former Federal employer. I was employed by a different Federal agency at the time, but my former employer had to pay salary compensation as well as travel expenses. I wasn’t “rehired” by the old agency, but they had to spend a shitload of money for the whole thing.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all to learn that Brown had to be paid salary compensation and costs to testify regarding his lawful actions as FEMA director.
WhaleJets Rule!

AeroWesty
Topic Author

Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:01 pm

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 43):
I wouldn’t be surprised at all to learn that Brown had to be paid salary compensation and costs to testify regarding his lawful actions as FEMA director.

The question isn't being paid for his day of testimony, it's his remaining on the payroll when he'd "resigned" earlier this month. Details to follow, I'm sure.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 42):
I don't see why any democrat passed this up

Rep. William Jefferson (D-LA), yes the same one under a federal investigation, showed up. I'm taping the C-SPAN rebroadcast right now. Should be interesting to watch in its entirety at my leisure.

Falcon84

Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:04 pm

Like you I think it makes no sense at all a Republican panel, questioning a Republican appointee, with answers approved by the Republican White House? WTF? How much tax $$$ is THAT costing?

Par for the course with this arrogant, ignorant administration, my friend. They cannot and WILL not tolerate criticism, and will do anything to stifle it, if they can.

Having this asswipe clown being the hired whitewash man for FEMA and the Administration should send howls throughout the country, and it is heartening to see both Dems and Republicans showing more than a little astonishment on Capital Hill at this farce.

Well, my opinion of Pelosi aside, I don't see why any democrat passed this up.

I agree. You can see what a farce this is, and as far as I'm concerned, with such cards stacked against getting an honest answer (which we've already seen), the Dems could have had open season on this quacking duck.
Work Right, Fly Hard

ANCFlyer

Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:06 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 44):
Rep. William Jefferson (D-LA), yes the same one under a federal investigation, showed up. I'm taping the C-SPAN rebroadcast right now. Should be interesting to watch in its entirety at my leisure.

I saw that . . . and I rather prayed for a moment that Brown would counter with a question to him about what he hauled out of his private residence while encumbering a LANG detail complete with truck for over an hour while he went through his residence. What evidence did he cart off? How much help could he have provided to "his district" with the second truck he had to call to pull the first one out, and then who could that Coast Guard chopper have saved that got called to help him out while he was asshole deep in mud in his front yard . . . . sarcastic .

I found his comment even further entertaining that, like so many members of A-Net, he refuses to see the utter, abyssmal failure of New Orleans city leaders in this debacle.

Geez, I'd have liked to be Brown for just that 5 minutes.  irked 

AeroWesty
Topic Author

Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:03 pm

One of the stunning quotes from Brownie's testimony:

"I've been trying to get the U.S. Government out of the ice business for years. It shouldn't be our responsibility to keep someone's ground beef fresh for a few days when they don't have any power to cook it any way. It should only be used to keep baby formula and medicines chilled."

This was in response to why ice trucks drove all over the country from California to Maine instead of to Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. They asked him if he understood what it was like to be in 100-degree heat after a hurricane, which prompted one of his outbursts about how he didn't need to be lectured about disasters.

Brownie also confirmed that he's receiving $148,000 per year in his role as a federal consultant.

I'm glad I'm taping this. I missed the first half of the replay while watching Amazing Race.

This guy was a disconnect from the day he started.