nycflyer

Amazing Race 8

Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:09 pm

Who saw Amazing Race 8, family version? So bad!!! No flights, and it looks like the next episode, they're going to a Civil War battlefield (Gettysburg?). It looks like this version will be very U.S.-centric. Started in NYC, went to Washington Crossing, PA, then Amish Country.

Oh well. I hope they realize the family version is kind of lame. Very disappointing. Cute kids, though.

any thoughts?

USAFHummer

RE: Amazing Race 8

Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:15 pm

It's on here in Colorado right now, and I agree, its definitely totally lame...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

flpuck6

Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:22 pm

Just saw the last 1/2 hour of it ... I wasn't impressed.
Bonjour Chef!

nycflyer

Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:31 pm

Quoting Flpuck6 (Reply 2):
Just saw the last 1/2 hour of it ... I wasn't impressed.

Seriously....this season is going to be really lame. Just all around lame.

Such a letdown, cuz it's my favorite show (normally)...

I did keep thinking about what airport they'd eventually have to fly out of, assuming they don't get in Winnebagos and end up at the Grand Canyon. Maybe we'll be seeing a US or LH flight out of PHL? Or BWI, IAD...

USAFHummer

Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:35 pm

Quoting NYCFlyer (Reply 3):
I did keep thinking about what airport they'd eventually have to fly out of, assuming they don't get in Winnebagos and end up at the Grand Canyon. Maybe we'll be seeing a US or LH flight out of PHL? Or BWI, IAD...

I was under the impression this season is the US only?? If that is in fact the case, I have a feeling legs involving flights will be scarce...

Greg

Newark777

Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:44 pm

Agree, definitly lame. The funniest parts, though, were when the mother was run over, and every time it said "Black Family" real big on the screen. How hilariously ironic that the token black family's last name is Black. Big grin

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

nycflyer

Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:53 pm

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 4):
was under the impression this season is the US only?? If that is in fact the case, I have a feeling legs involving flights will be scarce...

Oh really?! I hadn't heard this. Can anyone else vouch for this?
That would explain a lot. If true, possibly no flights at all.

yegmaster

Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:17 pm

In a thread a while back someone had said that people had spotted clue boxes at YYZ. So they may be just hopping to this side of the border and back. I wasn't impressed this evening.
Cheers

Msl747

Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:19 pm

I agree it dosen't seem all that great.... I suppose that if you have your 7 year old with you, you don't want to go into the middle of the sahara...

-Msl747

(sorry if my spelling is bad, spell check is not working)
Commercial Pilot Certificate: Single and Multi-Engine Land; Instrument Airplane

USAFHummer

Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:21 pm

Quoting NYCFlyer (Reply 6):
Oh really?! I hadn't heard this. Can anyone else vouch for this?

It was a strong rumor that was being passed around earlier AR threads here...and judging by the fact that they didn't immediately shove 'em on a flight overseas in the first episode, I think thats definitely setting the tone for the rest of the show...

Do you think they might use Amtrak at all this season?

Greg

MKEdude

Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:32 pm

Very dissapointing that they are staying in the U.S. this year. After watching the first episode it is clear that the teams with little kids are going to be at a disadvantage.

It's also clear that the Italian family from New York is going to self-destruct.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

j_hallgren

Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:34 pm

Having been in same situation within last year (first time in NYC and looking for how to get on Brooklyn Bridge), I could relate to it! And also having driven thru Amish country, that was interesting to me...finding your way around USA quickly when in a place you've never been can still be a challenge! I've gotten somewhat lost in DC each of 3 times I've driven thru there...
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

AeroWesty

Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:19 pm

Phil did say at the beginning that they wouldn't have to use their cash for "airline tickets or gas", so there must be some flying in it somewhere.

I didn't think it was so bad. It was funny to watch one of the testosterone-filled Linz family puke, then the team come in next to last. I am going to get really tired of the Jersey mom screaming, and the Weavers praying all the time.
International Homo of Mystery

jyatlantic

Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:20 pm

What a lackluster episode. Was quite disappointed. Seasons 2 and 3 gotta be the best. BTW, get Season 1's DVD, it also came out today. About time after four years.

solarix

Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:31 pm

Can anyone confirm they stay in the US? That would be a bummer if so, but I can understand why they would not travel outside of the US. It would be a huge liability risk for CBS to have families with kids racing through countries like India where it would be so easy for them to get lost. Plus there would be a lot more logistics involved since you're dealing with twice the number of people.
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

futureuapilot

Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:58 pm

Hey Guys, I don't want to read this thread because I haven't seen it yet, I'll be watching it tonight. In case anyone's interested...
Fantasy Amazing Race 8 (by FutureUApilot Sep 21 2005 in Non Aviation)

-Sam
The Pilot is the highest form of life on Earth!

Boeing757/767

Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:48 pm

The domestic ground travel thus far explains a thought I had before this episode -- how do you logistically take a family of four and a cameraman in the same vehicle all over the world?

Perhaps they'll do some air travel when the number of teams dwindles?

They were probably playing it safe.

I also was disappointed. This might be one big road trip.
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

CanadianNorth

Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:39 pm

what?!? all US/Canada?!? well the amazing race is my favourite show but I watch it to see teams race around the world not drive around the states! If they dont go outside Canada and the USA then I'm gunna be somewhat angry...

screw this I want the teams of 2 and a race around the world back!!!!

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

TUNisia

Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:31 am

Season 8 looks to be a LOSER, nice work CBS. You take a great model show and mess it up. I bet someone got a big bonus for that mistake.

At least GSN (Game Show Network) has the old seasons on all the time.
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

Venezuela747

Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:34 am

Agree....and yes it is kinda official the AR will only do 2 countries (US/Canada) and possibly a third one (Mexico, maybe somwhere in Europe as the last leg of the race)

It kinda takes away from the race the whole lanuguage barrier, and the fact that it is pretty easy to find places here in the US as compared to the back roads of Ethiopia......I am watching old seasons on GSN now
ROLL TIDE!!!

Tom in NO

Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:51 am

Guess I'll be the first one to say that I was impressed with last night's episode. Just because they're running a race with families of 4, and not teams of 2, and they're not off galavanting around the world on all these exotic airlines, that doesn't mean we're in for a lousy race.

After all, I'm assuming most of you saw "Vacation" ?!  wink 

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

aa777jr

Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:06 am

The only reason CBS hacked this rotten egg is they want more key market share. They were doing a fantastic job with the previous 7 seasons, and they go and try to entertain an audience that is already watching the show with this lamer.

Bad form.  Sad
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

nycflyer

Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:03 am

since this thread is all about hating-on CBS for screwing up one of the best shows on TV, allow me to also register my anger that they have everyone drive godawful GMC Yukons. I mean - how about a station wagon? Why does "everyone" have to drive an SUV? Waste of gas, waste of space, typically representative of irresponsible American excess. And CBS goes along with it, promotes it. NO ONE needs to drive a Yukon.

(Unless you're some kind of contractor with a lot of stuff to lug around, or you live in an area w/all dirt roads.)

AeroWesty

Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:17 am

Quoting NYCFlyer (Reply 22):
Why does "everyone" have to drive an SUV? Waste of gas, waste of space, typically representative of irresponsible American excess.

I thought about that too, but then when I saw they had to put their backpacks in the holders strapped on top, toss their camping gear in back, have room for the family of 4, plus a cameraman in the front passenger seat, room for camera gear, etc., there really aren't too many choices.
International Homo of Mystery

David T

Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:53 am

As Phil went through his explanation of the rules and background to the race, right off the bat, it was fairly obvious by his choice of words:

Instead of "...race around the world!" He said "...thousands of miles!"

Also, yes there will be some flights, but since he said that the only things they don't need to pay for is airline tickets & gas, the GAS was a dead giveaway. I don't recall hearing that before.

Regardless of liabilty and dragging kids around the world, this is another perfect example of fixing something that simply is not broken. People toy with things and eventually it will break. The next episode appears to be Gettysberg meaning that the 1st 3 hours are on U.S. soil. That does not leave much for non-North America racing. In TAR 7, the teams headed straight for LAX and away they went!

VERY POOR AND BORING. This is not The Amazing Race as all viewers know the program to be!

Scooter

Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:33 am

Quoting David T (Reply 24):
VERY POOR AND BORING. This is not The Amazing Race as all viewers know the program to be!

I agree. This used to be my favorite show, and I would cancel ANY plans in order to stay home and watch it every week. This season, I have no interest if all they are going to be doing is tooling around the US in SUV's.

Angry

At least I have a season 1 DVD that arrived from Netflix today...
My name is Scott, and I am addicted to writing trip reports.

futureuapilot

Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:23 am

Quoting CanadianNorth (Reply 17):
screw this I want the teams of 2 and a race around the world back!!!!

Me too! This new family edition is boring! I guess I can go back to working on Tuesdays...

Quoting NYCFlyer (Reply 22):
register my anger that they have everyone drive godawful GMC Yukons.

Did anyone else notice that it kept "Dinging" all the time or was it just me???

Quoting Scooter (Reply 25):

At least I have a season 1 DVD that arrived from Netflix today...

I'll be watching this too instead of the "Family Edition."

Sorry CBS...

-Sam
Fantasy Amazing Race 8 (by FutureUApilot Sep 21 2005 in Non Aviation)
The Pilot is the highest form of life on Earth!

9V-SVA

Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:04 pm

Found the new Amazing Race 8 a bit of a letdown, especially since there won't be much globetrotting involved.

Yes, I feel the Paolos (Italian family) are going to implode soon..

9V-SVA
9V-SVA | B772ER

LHB727230Adv

Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:42 pm

I'm very dissapointed with how The Amazing Race was changed, the family version completely misses the point of why people watch the show: to see teams race around the WORLD, not just the USA. I hope that the next season will be back to the normal race.

Cheers,
Alex  bigthumbsup