MaverickM11
Topic Author

Best Non Prescription Sleeping Pill?

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:09 am

I'm going on a long trip so I'd like suggestions for a good non-prescription sleeping pill that I can take to sleep on the long transatlantic flight. I've tried Tylenol "Simply Sleep" and it's worthless. Any suggestions?
E pur si muove -Galileo

fr8mech

RE: Best Non Prescription Sleeping Pill?

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:12 am

Tylenol PM works fine for me. You're not going to find anythinf too powerful out there. Try the PM with a drink.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

Airbuff

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:13 am

A couple drinks and a Nyquil shooter works for me.  Smile
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

TUNisia

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:13 am

Watching HSN (Home Shopping Network) or QVC late at night.

Just listen to the soothing voices and all will be well /sarcasm
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

greasespot

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:14 am

Gravol...

Yeahi know it is an anti- sickness drug....but it works..
gs
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

TedTAce

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:14 am

Whole Milk, does a body good, and puts me to sleep in no time..... After I fart my lactose intolerant self silly Big grin
This space intentionally left blank

Gilligan

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:15 am

I'm just waiting for the day they make gin&tonic gell caps.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

mbmbos

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:17 am

Benadryl. Even though it's meant for allergies, it makes you sleepy. But you get normal REM cycle sleep with it and you wake rested.

lehpron

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:18 am

Nyquil. Or any relatively harmless over-the-counter medication with a drousiness side-effect. Sucks to run out of dayquil and take a few nyquil in the daytime and regret it in you evening classing while you feel nausiated reading off the board.

Yeah that was my last 2 weeks.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

DrDeke

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:39 am

I believe that diphenhydramine (found in Benadryl, Tylenol PM, NyQuil, etc...) is the only substance that is avialable for sale as an over the counter sleeping pill in the USA. Most diphenydramine-containing medicines specify two doses that an adult can take, and I have been told that the higher dose is usually needed for the medicine to have any noticable sedating effect.

One thing to watch out for is the fact that many medicines that contain diphenhydramine also contain pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine, which can cause sleeplessness and increased levels of stimulation in some people.

-DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

ArmitageShanks

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:50 am

Tylenol PM works great. Take a dose about an hour before you want to hit the pillow.

Also, Ambian by perscription is awesome. It almost makes you a bit drunk and lets you sleep the whole night through.

Bobster2

Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:04 am

Forget the non-prescription drugs. Ambien or Lunesta will work. The problem with Ambien is that it's addictive if you take it every day, so only use it to sleep on the airplane, don't use it at home. Lunesta is not addicitve.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

n229nw

Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:13 am

Quoting DrDeke (Reply 9):
I believe that diphenhydramine (found in Benadryl, Tylenol PM, NyQuil, etc...) is the only substance that is avialable for sale as an over the counter sleeping pill in the USA. Most diphenydramine-containing medicines specify two doses that an adult can take, and I have been told that the higher dose is usually needed for the medicine to have any noticable sedating effect.

Doxylamine Succinate is another one. I've tried both here and there as I'm actually a night owl and have trouble shifting my body to an earlier schedule. Actually the Doxylamine Succinate works slightly better for me than the Diphenhydramine Hcl.

It is sold as Unisom or various generic brands. If you tried the Diphenhydramine Hcl in Tylenol PM or Benedryl and it didn't work, it is another option to try.

Then again, if you can get your hands on a Valium, that is a sure thing. Just don't start popping them often or you'll get addicted.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

AsstChiefMark

Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:22 am

I find doxylamine succinate works pretty good for me. It's sold as Unisom SleepTabs® contain doxylamine succinate. It's also available in generic forms that are much less expensive.

Unisom SleepGels® contain diphenhydramine and is not the same at all; it's expensive Benedryl. Some people report that diphenhydramine causes nervousness, insomnia, and jumpy legs....including me. You're still tired and/or exhausted, but pace the floor and watch TV rather than sleep.

The most effective, low cost sleeping medication that I've used is trazodoze 100 mg taken 10 minutes before laying down. Doctors tend to prescribe it upon request because it's very safe and not addictive. It starts to work very quickly. Some people report it takes a few minutes to get up to speed in the morning, but that improves after the first few doses.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Bobster2

Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:29 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 13):
trazodoze

When I type "trazodoze" in google it says "Did you mean trazodone?" It's a good thing you're not writing prescriptions.  

edit: I spelled prescriptions wrong!

[Edited 2005-09-29 04:32:16]
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

N808NW

Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:36 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 10):
Ambian by perscription is awesome. It almost makes you a bit drunk and lets you sleep the whole night through.

I get double vision when i take it, and i doo feel drunk... just without the feel good buzz. it puts me to sleep right away, however its addictive. sometimes i take a half a tablet and ill sleep just fine. i think it doesent give you real sleep, so i feel a bit "off" during the day. last year I took another tablet that was literally a tranquillizer. i just had to take the tinyest amouts of it to sleep. but i felt really tired and heavy the next day. I wish i could get a good nights sleep. its not too often that i feel well rested.  Sad

-Jason  swirl 
All flights have great IFE...get yourself a window seat, thats something no PTV can beat! flew 808 Pacific an Atlanic

FlyVirgin744

Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:23 am

Dramamine is a motion sickness tablet that'll knock you out for awhile.
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

usnseallt82

Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:37 am

I shit you not on this one.......

By far, the best sleep aid I've ever had is the natural supplement Melatonin, which you can find at any Wal-mart or pharmacy. It is natural, so you don't get the drugged feeling when you wake up like Nyquil or other suppressants will give. This is an exceptional supplement that will have you sleeping every night, SOUNDLY, without any problems.

Seriously, give it a try for a week or so and let me know what you think. You can get a bottle for usually no more than about $5 or so and it will last a while. Take it about 2 hours prior to when you want to go to bed and you will have the best night sleep ever. I've suggested this to so many people in my life and they have all been thoroughly pleased.

Let me know how it works!  Big grin
Crye me a river

TACAA320

Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:58 pm

Just be very careful since most of then have serious side effects. Benadryl is great, but if you suffer of glaucoma, is not recommended.

My advise, ask a pharmacist, or better your M.D. BEFORE taking any pill.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

usnseallt82

Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:22 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 18):
Just be very careful since most of then have serious side effects.

This is why I stress trying Melatonin, as it has no drugging agents in it. You have to be careful mixing the OTC drugs to sleep because some will do more harm than good.
Crye me a river

babybus

Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:02 am

Why not go herbal? There is no risk of overdose and it won't interfere with your body chemistry. It means you can drink too.

I use valerian and passiflora. You'll sleep like a baby the whole flight.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

erikwilliam

Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:45 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Thread starter):
Best Non Prescription Sleeping Pill?

the answer is very very simple.
Marijuana
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

Orion737

Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:20 am

I have suffered on and off with insomnia for years and most of the over the counter stuff is quite ineffective. Here in the UK we can get Diphenhydramine sold as Nytol or Promethazine sold as Sominex. Both are antihistamines which have sedating properties.

They are next to useless but better than nothing. Those 'herbal' remedies like Valerian and Nytol Herbal dont work at all for me, even when I double the dose!

Prescription sleeping tablets are very hard to get from doctors. I am seeing a pyschiatrist and even they are reluctant to prescribe them. I have had Zolpidem and Temazepam before and both work brilliantly but doctors are really reluctant at prescribing them evn for the most difficult insomnia.

Orion737

Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:48 am

Melatonin is not available here in the UK over the counter. All you can get is Valerian and other herbal pills which dont work or antihistamines like Diphenhydramine which are not very effective.

AeroWesty

Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:11 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 22):
Prescription sleeping tablets are very hard to get from doctors. I am seeing a pyschiatrist and even they are reluctant to prescribe them.

Jeez, I'm awash in Ambien, Sonata, Valium, etc. Anything I want, I just ask, and I get.
International Homo of Mystery

eilennaei

Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:59 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 23):
Melatonin is not available here in the UK over the counter.

The same all over the EU, must be some directive at work. Presciption gets it, but the price is considerably higher that in the US. It's not just some "natural" herbal medication, but a real hormone working on your internal diurnal system. My personal experience is that is works, yet not particularly well in my case, and for me it's not worth its relatively high price. I swear by Zopiclone, which is not in the benzodiazepine (Valium-like) group. Tolerance-developing is low.

http://www.priory.com/mel.htm
http://www.mdausa.org/publications/Quest/q75sleepingpills.html
http://www.biopsychiatry.com/zopiclone.html

[Edited 2005-09-30 23:13:54]

Orion737

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:08 am

I too have used Zopiclone and find it very effective. trouble is it is a prescription medication here in the UK and doctors are very reluctant to give repeat prescriptions of it. Very troubling for insomniacs like me whos life is often disrupted through inability to sleep.

AeroWesty

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:11 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 26):
Very troubling for insomniacs like me whos life is often disrupted through inability to sleep.

Have you thought of getting your doctor to give you a referral to a sleep clinic? Once a sleep doctor has given you a dx of sleep interruption, then your doctor has to treat you appropriately.

Nordair

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:15 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 26):
I too have used Zopiclone and find it very effective. trouble is it is a prescription medication here in the UK and doctors are very reluctant to give repeat prescriptions of it. Very troubling for insomniacs like me whos life is often disrupted through inability to sleep.

I also have Zopiclone and it is a prescription drug in Canada. It is not addictive by what most would consider that term. You can develop an immunity to the drug rendering it non-effective. In addition, for the first couple of nights after you stop taking Zopiclone, and having used it for an extended period of time, you will have a few restless nights, but it should right itself in a few days.

Orion, when you say you are insomniac, do you mean you cannot sleep, or that you sleep, but it is not a restful sleep as if you hadn't slept at all?
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

eilennaei

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:18 am

My doctors have been very understanding with the prescriptions. Apart from being a chronic insomniac, I'm also a rheumatic arthritis sufferer so I have an almost legal reason to sleep badly anyway.

Orion737

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:21 am

I have difficulty getting off to sleep and wake frequently during the night, often having to get up as I lay completley unable to drop off to sleep and that gets frustrating.

The recent depression I have had seems to have made things much worse. I now dread bedtime as I cannot seem to switch my brain off and relax and sleep.

Its most frustrating. I keep trying these 'herbal' sleep remedies like Valerian but they dont seem to work much at all.

AeroWesty

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:43 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 30):
The recent depression I have had seems to have made things much worse. I now dread bedtime as I cannot seem to switch my brain off and relax and sleep.

You say you're seeing a psychiatrist. He/she should be treating this. If not, you are allowed to say the word that makes every doctor's skin crawl. "Appropriate." As in, "Doctor, I don't believe you're treating my condition appropriately, as my symptoms are still overtaking my life, and I want you to document this in my chart while I'm seated here in your office."

eilennaei

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:45 am

Orion737, you could try asking for one of the older-generation tricyclic depression medicines as a sleeping aid. They're not very pleasant to use, dry mouth etc will result very likely, but will surely knock you off even in small doses, initially at least. I think one can combine them with all the modern antidepressants. Getting a night's sleep is a fundamental right, and achievable as well, perhaps you should try consulting another doctor?

Nordair

Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:02 am

A restful sleep is a fundamental tool in fighting depression. Nothing much else in the battle can progress without it.
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

TACAA320

Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:05 am

"Millions of Americans are shift workers who struggle to stay awake while they perform their jobs and then battle with insomnia and other sleep-related problems once they return home. Here are some tips for getting a good night's-or day's-sleep.

You stand at the bathroom sink, yawn, and splash cold water on your face. You glance at the clock-it's 10 p.m. Instead of putting on pajamas and crawling beneath the covers, you're dressing for work. You fill a thermos full of coffee and stumble out the door. On the drive to work, you rub your eyes and roll down the window a bit to keep from falling asleep at the wheel. You have trouble concentrating on your work and you struggle to stay awake throughout the night. Finally, it's quitting time and you can go home to bed. Just when you're about to drift off, a neighbor cranks up a lawn mower, the birds seem to chirp louder than usual, and you can't ignore the sunlight seeping in around the corners of the drawn shades.

The lifestyle of a shift worker can be pure agony and the lack of sleep can lead to many problems, including depression, lower job productivity, health problems, and marital and family discord. It can also lead to accidents, both on the job and on the highway. The National Sleep Foundation cites a frightening statistic-in a recent study, the NSF found that 72% of shift workers admitted that they had driven while drowsy and 41% said they had dozed off at the wheel.

A 24-hour society
If shift work creates so many problems, why not just stick with a daytime routine? While that seems like an easy answer, it's not a possibility for many workers. Shift work is essential in our 24-hour society. Many people who make their living at odd hours provide crucial services, such as emergency care and police and fire protection. There's also a demand for 'round-the-clock workers in the transportation and manufacturing industries. Our bodies, however, are regulated by a different clock.

Internal circadian clock
Humans are regulated by an internal body clock that causes them to be active or sleepy based on different phases of each 24-hour day. For most people, the desire to sleep is greatest when it is dark outside, and the need to be alert and active is greatest when it's daylight.

"Sleep [for shift workers] is ineffective because it occurs out of synchrony with the endogenous circadian rhythm that organizes sleep and activity," says Wolfgang Schmidt-Nowara, MD, of the Sleep Medicine Institute at Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas. "The worker must sleep at a time when the body expects to be active, while work occurs at the usual sleep time. Sleep, therefore, is often short or interrupted. During a work week, sleep deprivation accumulates and sleepiness becomes worse. Time off from work can be used to get extra sleep, but conflicting demands of family and other social responsibilities prevents a full payment on sleep debt. The result is fatigue and stress," he says.

Swing shifts
Swing shifts present even more challenging problems to workers. Just when they get adjusted to the hours of one shift, they spin off to another schedule. Terri Lynn of Waldorf, Maryland used to pull a swing shift as a police officer. "We worked three shifts: six days of 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., two days off, seven days of 3:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m., two days off and then seven nights of 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. followed by four days off," says Lynn. "I was grouchy and fought with my husband. I'm sure it contributed to our divorce. I couldn't make any permanent plans for weekly meetings, clubs, etc., because of the shift changes."

"The biological clocks cannot adapt to frequent and large changes in the timing of sleep from one day to the next," says Karl Doghramji, MD, Director of the Sleep Disorders Center at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia. "Optimally, sleep times should not be changed by more than one hour counterclockwise or three hours clockwise from one night to the other," he says

Strategies for getting some shuteye
If you're working a shift and having trouble sleeping when you get home, here are some strategies for getting some much-needed rest:

Keep a regular sleep schedule, even on weekends.
Create a quiet, peaceful environment for sleeping.
Wear eye shades if the sunlight disturbs you.
Wear ear plugs if daytime noise keeps you awake.
Run a fan, or create other "white noise" to help lull you to sleep.
Turn off the ringer on your phone.
Put a "Do Not Disturb" sign on your front door.
Exercise regularly, but not within four hours of bedtime.
Avoid caffeine near bedtime.
Avoid alcohol.
Consult a physician about the use of prescription or over-the-counter sleep aids."

A short snooze"
Continue: http://www.swedish.org/15205.cfm
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

usnseallt82

Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:31 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 23):
Melatonin is not available here in the UK over the counter.

Quoting Eilennaei (Reply 25):
The same all over the EU, must be some directive at work.

Geez, I'm sorry about this. I think I knew this because I met a woman in Paris several years back who had a horrible time sleeping. I told her that melatonin works wonders, but she said it isn't available in Europe. So, I came back here and bought about 15-20 bottles for her, for only about $60-70, and shipped them to her location. She paid me back and wrote me how amazing it was to finally have a good night's sleep for the first time in her adult life.

So, if it isn't available, perhaps we can work something out. I just hate to see people suffering from sleep loss like I do. Its such a traumatic thing in life.
Crye me a river

Braybuddy

Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:02 am

I've never tried it on a flight, but if I'm awake at night and can't get back to sleep I start blanking my mind. You can do this a couple of ways: clear your head of thought (not easy, I know, but it can be done) and when it starts to get active concentrate on a visual image. I usually think of a red "STOP" roadsign and keep concentrating on this, and you can actually feel your thought process slow down after minutes. Another technique is to concentrate on the white spots you see inside your eyelids and watch the patterns form. Then I find myself drifting off gradually. Usually I'm out within five-ten minutes and it's only failed me a handful of times. Much better than using tabs, and you don't have that groggy feeling when you wake up.

What is keeping you awake is your mind being overactive. Clearing it solves this problem.

[Edited 2005-10-01 19:05:12]

eilennaei

Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:47 pm

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 35):
So, if it isn't available, perhaps we can work something out. I just hate to see people suffering from sleep loss like I do. Its such a traumatic thing in life.

It's my understanding that importing Melatonin for your own personal use to the EU/EEA is allowed, if you have a prescription for it from your doctor to show, when and if the customs people intercept you or your mail. A non-EU traveller arriving from outside the EU with Melatonin in her baggage I'm not sure how they will be dealing with. And, as I said, Melatonin IS a standard item in European pharmacies as far as I know, it's only under prescription and relatively pricey.

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 36):
What is keeping you awake is your mind being overactive. Clearing it solves this problem.

I'm sorry to tell you, but unfortunately it does not work quite that way for someone who's got it bad. Normal people willl be able simulate the situation to some likeness by drinking an overdose of caffeine before bedtime. Falling into sleep just does not occur the natural expected way.

HAWK21M

Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:53 pm

Seriously speaking Why need medication to sleep.Do you have a sleep diosorder.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Braybuddy

Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:22 pm

Quoting Eilennaei (Reply 37):
I'm sorry to tell you, but unfortunately it does not work quite that way for someone who's got it bad. Normal people willl be able simulate the situation to some likeness by drinking an overdose of caffeine before bedtime. Falling into sleep just does not occur the natural expected way.

If something is on you mind you have to train yourself to stop thinking about it. It's not easy and may not always work, but it can be done. If you try it you're bound to have some success rate. I've found it very helpful.

eilennaei

Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:29 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 39):
If something is on you mind you have to train yourself to stop thinking about it. It's not easy and may not always work, but it can be done. If you try it you're bound to have some success rate. I've found it very helpful.

This is exactly the attitude from the relatively healthy ones that gets those with sensitive mentally-linked problems a) even more depressed and lowers their self-esteem or b) furious. Of course, they're all meaning well, but do you really think these people would not to have thought of/done just what you suggested? People have different degrees of mental problems, and sometimes a specialist help and medication will remain the only alternative, and nobody should be ashamed or intimidated by it. Just because these ailments were poorly treated for long and people were stigmatized by them so does not mean they remain so today.

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 38):
regds
MEL

Very Probably they do have one then, would you believe.

ozglobal

Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:01 am

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 17):
By far, the best sleep aid I've ever had is the natural supplement Melatonin, which you can find at any Wal-mart or pharmacy. It is natural, so you don't get the drugged feeling when you wake up like Nyquil or other suppressants will give. This is an exceptional supplement that will have you sleeping every night, SOUNDLY, without any problems.

Agree, 100%. I've done more than 15 Europe-Oz trips and mutltiple, Europe-Asia and US is the last few years. Melatonin is the miracle drug for me, because:

i) It 're-baselines' my body clock and gets me synched with the local time zone on arrival if I take 8hours before a morning arrival, etc
ii) No apparent side effects (not good to take every day for long periods)
iii) Non-prescription in US and Asia

-ve point: not available, except in homeopathic dose without prescription in Europe and Australia
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

Matt27

Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:12 am

Man ska inte dricka rödvin i en vit hall.

flyAUA

Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:53 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Thread starter):
Any suggestions?

There was a time at uni when I had problems sleeping so I got a pack of NYTOL from the drugstore (not prescription medication). I took half the dose and it pretty much knocked me out until 2 hours into lectures. It works well but don't take the dosage they tell you to... that'll knock you out the whole day.

[Edited 2005-10-03 00:56:08]
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

DrDeke

Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:36 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 38):

I think that's the idea! Otherwise, he wouldn't need medication to sleep, right?  Smile

I have never had severe problems sleeping, but a close family member did once. It was weird. It didn't really matter how tired he got or how unable he was to function during the day as a result; he simply could not sleep much at night. Luckily, he's better now.

-DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

Braybuddy

Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:55 am

Quoting Eilennaei (Reply 40):
Of course, they're all meaning well, but do you really think these people would not to have thought of/done just what you suggested?

Quite possibly they may not have. I didn't say it would work for everybody, so don't say that I did. People have different reasons for not being able to sleep and I was pointing out one that worked, and still works for me now, having used sleeping tablets in the past.

eilennaei

Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:23 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 45):
Quoting Eilennaei (Reply 40):
Of course, they're all meaning well, but do you really think these people would not to have thought of/done just what you suggested?

Quite possibly they may not have

[just thought relaxing thoughts instead of sleeping pills]

But then, how would you know that? One of the revelations of the Internet to me has been that avegare people do many things, and think, in a surprisingly similar way no matter who they are and where they come from. If you thought relaxing thoughts and that helped you sleep, so will be doing the Ahmeds and Penttis of the world. But, there are also limits to this "self-hypnosis", universally, I'm afraid. (We have not even discussed the early termination or bad quality of sleep where your advice clearly is not functional)

[Edited 2005-10-03 21:42:04]

Braybuddy

Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:07 am

Quoting Eilennaei (Reply 46):
But then, how would you know that?

Again you're accusing me of things I never said. I said "quiet possibly", which is a completly different thing to "I know".

eilennaei

Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:07 am

Braybuddy, let's retrace:

You're in effect saying that you can "think yourself out" of insomnia. If I may paraphrase you: "by working hard, anyone can in most cases drive the matter that's bothering themselves out of their mind and thereafter sleep peacefully. I know that because it works that way for me."
I replied to that: "well, insomniacs would have tried that already" (in their desperation). You said: "quite possibly they may not have", to which I went: "how come you know what they may have or not have done, and given the similary of the human nature, they would have been likely to at least initially to have followed your actions exactly".
I certainly did "follow your advice" routinely -- as a teenager and I know the trick -- but now, at 42, my only working option is medication.

Your original statement would have become not contadictory to what you amended it with later, if you had added "...and may not always work for everyone". That would have pleased me to begin with, but I'm glad if you accept now that for many a people the mindtrick simply will not work, if it works for you, fine and congratulations, but no universality is guaranteed.

Braybuddy

Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:08 am

You are again accusing me of saying things I did not. Your paraphrasing of my post is entirely your interpretation and not what I had said. Firstly, I was talking generally, and not about people who may have depression or other mental problems (as you think in reply 40), so let's get that out of the way.

Given that I was referring to people that are not disturbed and are just having difficulty going to sleep, I stand over what I said:

Note the "may not always work" phrase in there. You should probably read the posts more carefully before replying to them.