Shawn Patrick
Topic Author

Costa Rica On A Shoestring (trip Planning Help)

Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:50 am

Hi everyone,

I am considering visiting Costa Rica with a friend for a week in March, since airfares are really cheap at the moment. Well, I am also a starving college student  Smile so I would like to keep the rest of the trip as cheap as possible.

I'd like to see:

-Beaches (Pacific at least, Gulf maybe)
-Volcano(s) - Aerenal seems to be the popular one to see
-Rainforest - I hear there are lots of things to do, like rapelling, and "zip-lining" or whatever that thing is where you go from tree to tree really fast!

My main concern is getting around. I wouldn't mind using public buses as long as they're safe and reliable enough. I'd just like to know a little bit how the system works.

I would prefer to stay in hostels or other cheap accomodations.

Any and all suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Shawn

BigOrange

RE: Costa Rica On A Shoestring (trip Planning Help)

Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:30 am

Try www.lonelyplanet.com for general information.

Msh744

Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:56 am

I spent three weeks in Costa Rica this summer about an hour inland from the beach town of Jacó. Although it might not compare with a Hawaiian beach resort in terms of amenities and overall aestheic appeal, Jacó has a big beach with warm water and good waves, and there's a good variety of accomodations in and around the town. I made two day-trips there during my stay because it was a center of civilization compared to the eight-house village I was living a few minutes from.

The night before my flight back to the US, I stayed in a hostel in the capital of San Jose -- I can't remember the name of it, but it was run by Hostelling International and was across the street from a KFC. A very decent place to stay for $12 a night...clean, quiet, etc.

Good luck and have fun!

redngold

Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:03 am

You should PM this user: TACAA320.
Up, up and away!

carmenlu15

Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:09 am

For information on tours, prices, etc., you could visit www.graylinecostarica.com . I've never been to Costa Rica  Sad but worked extensively with this tour operator at my previous job, and they are very reliable.

Quoting Shawn Patrick (Thread starter):
"zip-lining" or whatever that thing is where you go from tree to tree really fast!

Canopy (a must-do while you're there!)
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

TACAA320

Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:54 pm

You will be more than welcome in a friendly country.
Email me with your specific concerns [apart of the mentioned above], and I will be glad to try to help you.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein