swisskloten

Schroeder: Auf Wiedersehen?

Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:59 am

German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder appears to be in deep s***. The latest polls show support increasing for Angela Merkel. German a.netters, what are your reactions? When do the polls close in Germany? What would your reaction be if Germany has its first female chancellor?

NoUFO

RE: Schroeder: Auf Wiedersehen?

Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:07 pm

The polls are long closed. Only the city of Dresden had to vote today - two weeks after the general election. The election in Dresden was postponed after one candidate died.

We'll probably see a 'Grand Coalition' of the two big parties, the Socialdemocrats and the conservative Christian Union. I think Merkel is going to become Chancellor.

I forgot:

Quoting Swisskloten (Thread starter):
What would your reaction be if Germany has its first female chancellor?

After more than 40 years, it's about time that a woman becomes Chancellor, but I'm not really a supporter of her, nor her party.
(And just for the record: I have never really liked Schroeder.)

[Edited 2005-10-03 05:10:50]
I support the right to arm bears

StevenUhl777

RE: Schroeder: Auf Wiedersehen?

Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:08 pm

Polls have already closed in Dresden, and the CDU gained another seat in the Bundestag. While it gives Merkel and the CDU/CSU some "momentum" and confidence, they still have to negotiate to form a coalition, and have about two more weeks to get it done.

Even if Schroeder is no longer Chancellor, and Merkel replaces him, it's highly likely she'll be governing a "grand coalition" and that will be very difficult for her to accomplish anything of her agenda. Even if she wins, she loses, and SPD still has a major voice in Berlin.

In other words, gridlock!
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!