jetsetter

Car Rental Help Needed - BUD - PRA

Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:13 am

I plan to rent a car in Budapest and drop it off in Prague, only 2 days later. However, I am finding it to be insanely expensive, about $600-$800 USD. I prefer to drive in lieu of taking the train because I have an itinerary along the way. The train takes 7 hours, which wastes a full day.

Naturally, it is the drop-off fee that is making this very expensive. Does anyone have any experience or advice on this issue?

Thank you very much for your assistance,

Jetsetter

L410Turbolet

RE: Car Rental Help Needed - BUD - PRA

Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:29 am

I'd strongly recommend to reconsider taking the train. The D1 freeway Brno-Prague is just horrible and nothing but a driving nightmare, with certain (not only) truck drivers being just insane.  mad 
I took the bus BTS-PRG yesterday and got stuck 2 hours in a giant traffic jam just outside of PRG.
Besides, Prague-Brno takes at least 2 hours, Brno-Bratislava an hour or so, Bratislava-Budapest another 2, add some time to get through BTS, out of BUD and in PRG so in reality you save maybe an hour, two hours at best.

[Edited 2005-10-05 01:31:19]

jetsetter

RE: Car Rental Help Needed - BUD - PRA

Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:43 am

Thanks Turbolet - that is good advice that I would otherwise never have.

The only problem is that I'm very limited with time and I have to go to Slovakia anyway, so I figured it would be easiest to make that stop on the way to Prague. The alternative is to do a day trip to Slovakia from Budapest, return to Budapest, then take the train to Prague the next day (which is an all day affair). It just cuts into a lot of time.

If I do take the train, do I need to book far in advance, or can I do that from the hotel in Budapest with no problem? Is it a better price to book online?

Thanks again...Jetsetter