Birdwatching
Topic Author

Thursday Useless Thread: Allowed To Turn On Red?

Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:43 am

Here's another thread that is a completely useless bandwidth guzzler:

Where you live, are you allowed to turn right (left) at a red stoplight?

If yes, do you do it? Do you full-stop?

If not, would you like to do it? Do you do it even though it's illegal?

All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

TedTAce

RE: Thursday Useless Thread: Allowed To Turn On Red?

Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:49 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Thread starter):

Yes, unless otherwise posted

If yes, do you do it?

DUHHHHHH

Do you full-stop?

No comment

Do you do it even though it's illegal?

No comment... something about 'for a crime to occur it has to be percieved'.
This space intentionally left blank

ANCFlyer

Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:05 am

Do you full-stop?

As opposed to what? A partial stop? And almost stop?

Here's another thread that is a completely useless bandwidth guzzler

Agreed.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Birdwatching
Topic Author

Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:10 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 2):
As opposed to what? A partial stop? And almost stop?

Smile Didn't you learn that in driving school? You have to fully stop, then go ahead... heck, only the WHEELS have to stop, not the rest of the car!  Smile
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

ANCFlyer

Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:15 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 3):
Didn't you learn that in driving school? You have to fully stop, then go ahead... heck, only the WHEELS have to stop, not the rest of the car!

NO, got it from my favorite comedian, George Carlin. Referencing his "safety lecture" . . . biggrin 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

aloges

RE: Thursday Useless Thread: Allowed To Turn On Re

Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:29 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 2):
A partial stop?

In that case, would partially getting up be a problem? You know, most cars don't offer the space for that as opposed to airplanes.

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 3):
only the WHEELS have to stop, not the rest of the car!

rotfl 

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 4):
Referencing his "safety lecture"

Sometimes I wonder what you and me having a few beers after a Carlin show would end up like...  Wink

As for Germany, we have these "turn on red" options:
no sign at all = no turning
a fixed sign with a green arrow pointing to the right = turn after stop (of the vehicle, that is)
an additional light, showing a green arrow pointing to the right when desired = turn without stop
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

ANITIX87

Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:09 am

Yes, I stop at all intersections and then, if I am legally allowed to turn, I do.

On of the things that irks me most is when there is a red arrow lit up for the right turn and I am waiting for the green. Even if there is no sign that prohibits a turn, a RED ARROW is the same thing. You are NOT ALLOWED to turn, even if it takes 6 days to turn green. And when people honk at me I just get mad and wait through the next green cycle and do it all over again. It's fun.

But, stopping at a red light is just something I do to avoid being at fault in case somethine happens. Once the car is moving, I don't slow down unless another light comes up.  Smile

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

Curtisman

Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:47 am

Yes - definitely allowed to turn right on a red light unless otherwise posted. I 'think' this is the rule for all the provinces in Canada but I am not certain. The only exception I know of is on the Island of Montreal there is no turning on a red light.

Cheers!

Len
Citizen of the World

PHLBOS

Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:04 am

Quoting CurtisMan (Reply 7):
Yes - definitely allowed to turn right on a red light unless otherwise posted. I 'think' this is the rule for all the provinces in Canada but I am not certain. The only exception I know of is on the Island of Montreal there is no turning on a red light.

Since 1980, all 50 states allow RIGHT ON RED unless otherwise directed. Before 1980, Massachusetts was the only statewide holdout. the state adopted it as a fuel-savings measure (although numerous NO TURN ON RED signs started popping up out of nowhere right after the law changed) However, in NYC, one is NOT allowed to turn on red... I found that out just recently while a New Yorker was riding with me during the NYC meet.

LEFT ON RED is only allowed when the intersecting roads are BOTH One-Way streets. This part of the Turning on Red rule is often overlooked. Needless to say this allowance applies any place that allows RIGHT ON RED.

Now to answer the questions:

Yes.

Yes*.

*The sole exceptions being where (in Philadelphia) NO TURN ON RED signs were erected on a channelized turn ramp that had no pedestrian crosswalk. The sign realistically has no business being posted there. Clearly these were erected as revenue enhancers and not for safety purposes (which is what the signs should be erected for). BTW: I believe Southeastern Pennsylvania has more NO TURN ON RED signs than Massachusetts ever did in 1980.

If not, would you like to do it? Do you do it even though it's illegal?

Your first question here's a bit confusing, are you asking would I like to STOP before proceeding or just simply slowly roll along? I plead the Fifth Ammendment on your second question owith regards to the earlier-mentioned inappropriately erected signs.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

AeroWesty

RE: Thursday Useless Thread: Allowed To Turn On Re

Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:11 am

The "California Roll" isn't just a form of sushi, you realize.  Wink
International Homo of Mystery

seb146

Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:17 am

There are only 5 people in the Portland metro area that grew up in Oregon. Everyone else moved here from somewhere else like Los Angeles, San Francisco, or Chicago. No one knows how to drive. In Oregon and Washington it is legal to make a right on red after a full stop and no traffic except at two intersections (I can think of) and along the MAX line downtown. So, what do people do? Turn right whenever they feel like. I have seen so many MAX/auto accidents and have seen so many near-misses at NW 23rd and Vaughn at I-405. The signs are clearly posted. At least three of them at each intersection. I don't know how people can miss them. And when I obey the signs, I get honked at and given the finger! WTF?? Can't they read? If someone is in that big of a hurry, they should have left earlier.

I'll get off my soap box, now.

GO CANUCKS!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

FlyVirgin744

Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:31 am

My friend was pulled over in NYC and for not being aware of the no turn on red. The cop saw he was out of state and told him that before he drives in the city again to read up on NYC traffic laws. Thats a good cop.
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

redngold

Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:34 am

If there's a no-turn-on-red sign, I obey it. If there's no sign, then I stop on red, unless there's a green arrow, before proceeding. In other words, I obey the law.

I don't know how many times I've almost been rear-ended because I drive by the book.

redngold
/get your mind out of the gutter!
Up, up and away!

ANCFlyer

Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:49 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 5):
Sometimes I wonder what you and me having a few beers after a Carlin show would end up like...

"Katy, Bar the Doors!"  rotfl 

I STILL cannot contain myself when flying . . . something about Put On Your mask and Breathe Normally that does it . . . and thinking about a 600mph vertical dive . . .

BigOrange

Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:49 am

I stop at all red lights before turning right. I wouldn't call it a full stop though  Wink

I try to remember not to turn right on red in the 5 boroughs of NYC, but sometimes driving round JFK I forget!

aloges

Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:09 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 13):
Put On Your mask and Breathe Normally that does it . . . and thinking about a 600mph vertical dive . . .

The terminal snackbar comes to mind whenever I just have to get some snack somewhere in the middle of nowhere...  Wink

ANCFlyer

Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:20 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 15):
The terminal snackbar comes to mind

And something about floating around the north Atlantic smelling someone else's beer farts. . .  rotfl 

I gotta stop . . . .

aloges

Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:28 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 16):
And something about floating around the north Atlantic smelling someone else's beer farts.

At that point, you probably won't care if it's the local time or the time in Pago-Pago.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 16):
I gotta stop

Two words: You can't.  Wink

flymia

Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:28 am

Where you live, are you allowed to turn right at a red stoplight?
Yes. And you can turn left at a red stop light if going from a one way street to another.
If yes, do you do it? Do you full-stop? Most of the time yes.

If not, would you like to do it? Do you do it even though it's illegal? No.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

baylorairbear

Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:06 am

What I really can't stand around here is (we have a lot of one-way streets...much like my anus) you can turn left on a red if you don't have to cross another direction of traffic. Meaning if I am in the far left lane and the traffic is coming from my right on a one-way, then I can stop and go on red. What gets me is that I have to explain this even to the local 5-0.

BAB
I'm just skipping stones...

ACDC8

Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:30 am

Turning right on a red light is legal in BC, after one comes to a complete stop of course. You can also turn left on a red light if you are turning onto a one-way street.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut