vaporlock

Happy Thanks Giving DAY!

Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:38 am

To all you Canadians who are celebrating "Thanksgiving" this weekend!!!! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

What do you have planned for your Thanksgiving Dinner???

Phyllis  bouncy 

ANCFlyer

RE: Happy Thanks Giving DAY!

Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:39 am

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to my Canadian neighbors . . .

Hope it is fruitful and enjoyable!
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ScarletHarlot

Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:42 am

Hey Phyllis! Have some turkey for me - we won't have ours until Yankee Turkey Day.  Sad

Happy Thanksgiving, Canadians!
But that was when I ruled the world

IHadAPheo

Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:45 am

I like Boxing Day better myself, but ...

Happy Thanksgiving to all

IHAP
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

lnglive1011yyz

Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:47 am

Hey Phyllis,

You beat me to it!  Smile

Have a great *safe* weekend everyone. Have some gobble-gobble, some oink-oink, or, if you're not into meat, some veggie-veggie!

Be safe everyone!

1011yyz (mike)
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

BAViscount

Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:57 am

OK, here's a quick question from someone that didn't know that Canada had its own Thanksgiving day...but what do you guys do to celebrate that holiday? I've experienced Thanksgiving US style, with turkey, pumpkin pie and everything that goes with that, but am curious to know how you good Canadian folk celebrate your own Thanksgiving. Am also curious to know what you're giving thanks for. Don't mean to be contentious in any way, just curious.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

lnglive1011yyz

Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:02 am

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 5):
OK, here's a quick question from someone that didn't know that Canada had its own Thanksgiving day...but what do you guys do to celebrate that holiday? I've experienced Thanksgiving US style, with turkey, pumpkin pie and everything that goes with that, but am curious to know how you good Canadian folk celebrate your own Thanksgiving. Am also curious to know what you're giving thanks for. Don't mean to be contentious in any way, just curious.

Exactly the same thing.

Turkey/ham/pumpkin pie...

It was basically done in the past to signify the end to the harvest season.

And it has some kinda religious thing to it too, but who cares about that? Gimme turkey!

HAHAHA

(just kidding to all the religi's here.)

1011yyz

ScarletHarlot

Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:17 am

Like 1011 says...just not for pilgrim reasons, more for harvest reasons. And it's not the beginning of the Christmas shopping season, nor is it the busiest travel day of the year in Canada.

Hey Canadians...some of my friends here eat this god-awful sweet potato casserole with marshmallows on the top. Do any Canadians eat such a thing? I had never seen it before, but wasn't sure if that was more because my family didn't eat such a thing and Mr. Harlot's family is Portuguese and certainly doesn't eat such a thing!

We have American Thanksgiving dinner with the same couple each year, and he's Hawaiian, so the turkey stuffing has teriyaki bacon in it. Man, that's some good stuff!

Nordair

Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:44 am

"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

lnglive1011yyz

Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:49 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 7):
Hey Canadians...some of my friends here eat this god-awful sweet potato casserole with marshmallows on the top. Do any Canadians eat such a thing? I had never seen it before, but wasn't sure if that was more because my family didn't eat such a thing and Mr. Harlot's family is Portuguese and certainly doesn't eat such a thing!

OH MY GOD.

I *sooooo* thought my grandmother was *NUTS*

Somehow, the family eats it, but YES. We eat that dish too! Oh my god.

I honestly would NEVER have told anyone this unless someone else brought it up HAHAHA

1011(Mike)

Aviation

Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:51 am

Happy thanksgiving!

Here in australia we don't ever have anything like it tho  Sad

Thanks,
Aaron J Nicoli
Signed, Aaron Nicoli - Trans World Airlines Collector

Nordair

Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:53 am

I have never known anyone here to serve it, but I did have it once in the US. God - awful doesn't even begin to describe it. It's awfully vile!!
 ill 
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

Curtisman

Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:56 am

I've had it too. I don't know many people that serve it but man alive that stuff is sweet. Far to sweet for even my sweet tooth.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAY!!!

Smile
Len
Citizen of the World

ScarletHarlot

Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:01 am

Quoting CurtisMan (Reply 12):
man alive that stuff is sweet

Even worse than the sweetness is the texture. It's just...goo. Like pureed applesauce or something. With the goopy marshmallows on top. My friend who served it was quite good about it, saying that it didn't bother her if we didn't like it. I had one small forkful and haven't had any since - and we've had Thanksgiving with these friends for like five years now.

It's a great scam - these friends cook the whole dinner and we just bring dessert and tequila. Makes all of us happy because I'm not a good cook but I am a pretty good baker and we bring good tequila!

ltbewr

Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:01 am

In the USA, the same Monday in October in Canadian Thanksgiving day is Columbus Day, the day in 1492 when Christoper Columbus was the first (non-scandavian) European to land in the Americas (with is the Island of Hispanola, on the Dominian Republic side. In the USA Columbus Day had become a big day to celebrate those of Italian ancestry, including parades and for politicans to campaign (most general elections are the 1st Tuesday in November, so only a few weeks later).

vaporlock

Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:03 pm

Ah......I can almost smell the Turkey cooking!!! LMAO

This is big bird.....we'll be having our dinner tomorrow!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/MsLock/Christmas2004036.jpg

Phyllis  bouncy 

LH423

Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:08 pm

Mmmmmm...just a few more weeks til ours  Smile

Though, I'll probably have to work. SOB!  gnasher 

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

searpqx

Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:15 pm

We do it one better in Hawaii - the local sweet potato is purple in color, so not only does it taste, smell and feel (texture) awful, it looks like something served in a bad sci-fi flick!

Happy Thanksgiving to all
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

vaporlock

Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:16 pm

Yummie...........this is after!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/MsLock/Christmas2004061.jpg

Phyllis  bouncy 

canuckpaxguy

Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:28 pm

Nice bird Phyllis!
No turkey for me this weekend unfortunately.

I'm heading to Kitchen-Waterloo for some Oktoberfesting today (and a little tour of my alma mater while I'm at it); and then tomorrow we're having a Thanksgiving TROUT dinner. (Don't ask!)

Save me some skin would ya?

HAPPY THANKSGIVING.
G

SlamClick

Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:40 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Day.

Anything but oysters in the stuffing!

On a related note, and with all respect and affection, why is it that Canada can have its own Thanksgiving Day and its own model names for US cars but still use the "$" sign for money?

For those of you who don't know, $ comes from a "U" superimposed over an "S" or the other way 'round. It used to have two vertical lines down through it, but over the years that has been dropped but in any event, it means United States. So Canada, why not come up with one of your own?

£ is taken.
¢ is too.

Maybe a "C" superimposed over an "E" for Canada, Eh?  Smile
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

canuckpaxguy

Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:55 pm

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 20):

On a related note, and with all respect and affection, why is it that Canada can have its own Thanksgiving Day and its own model names for US cars but still use the "$" sign for money?

This should be a thread of its own.
I'd be interested in reading responses to those questions.

SlamClick:
- The USA and Canada are not the only countries to use the $ symbol.
- Americans don't own the concept of Thanksgiving, lol.
- We use different model names for US cars? I didn't know that.

I know that the Mercury line has all but disappeared in Canada. We kept the Ford Taurus, but got rid of the Sable, etc. Chrysler has dropped the Plymouth brand here for the most part too. Oldsmobiles are now a thing of the past.

Is that what you mean?

G

SlamClick

Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:15 am

Quoting Canuckpaxguy (Reply 21):
- We use different model names for US cars? I didn't know that.

This is the only one that comes to mind:
http://www.pontiacserver.com/56laur_ad2.html
I believe there were others.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

TedTAce

Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:55 am

Quoting Nordair (Reply 8):

BRUTAL!!!

Happy ThanksGiving!!! eh?
This space intentionally left blank

SATL382G

Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:41 am

Quoting Nordair (Reply 8):

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 23):
BRUTAL!!!

Yeah agreed. Took me a minute though, those legs just looked too familiar!  

edit: ...and from considering who's missing from the guest list I'm wondering if Frogs Legs and Roast Ham are also on the menu?  Smile

[Edited 2005-10-08 18:44:29]
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

RobertNL070

Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:49 am

The USA and Canada are not the only countries to use the $ symbol

Quite right there Canuckpaxguy. In addition to those countries of the world that use dollars, a number of other countries use the symbol to denote their currencies, including:

Argentine peso
Brazilian real
Bolivian boliviano
Cape Verde escudo
Chilean peso
Colombian peso
Cuban peso
Dominican peso
Mexican peso
Portuguese escudo (defunct)
Uruguayan peso

Happy Thanksgiving Canada

Regards, Robert  bouncy 
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

Kovi17

Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:52 am

Have a happy thanksgiving Canada!!!!!
We dont worry about small things like that...

SLC1

Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:38 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 20):
Why is it that Canada can have its own Thanksgiving Day?

Yeah you crazy canucks, stop screwing with our mare can traditions.  wink 

Maybe it has something to do with Canada's harvest being earlier due to its slightly colder environment. Happy thanksgiving to all you Canajuns(myself included).
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

ScarletHarlot

Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:54 pm

We use different model names for US cars? I didn't know that.

Yep, we sure do. The Mazda MX- series had numbers only in the States, but had names in Canada:

MX-3 Precidia
MX-6 Mystere

Also the Intrepid is under a different name in Canada. Here it's a Dodge, right? In Canada it's a Chrysler. (Mr. Harlot thinks it was both a Dodge and Chrysler in Canada, but I am not sure about that.)

There are different cars marketed in both countries too, of course. For a long time Mitsubishis were not available in Canada, and you can't get the 3-door Echo or Smart car in the US.

canuckpaxguy

Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:38 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 28):
Yep, we sure do. The Mazda MX- series had numbers only in the States...

Interesting. I knew we used different model names on our cars that in say, Europe for example, but I didn't know there was a big difference with American cars. I drive a Jetta, which is known as the Bora in Europe.

I've always wondered if Quebeckers pronounce 'Cavalier' as "KA-VAL-YAY" or the way the anglos do?

Enojy Thanksgiving.

Take care.
G

Curtisman

Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:10 am

Quoting Canuckpaxguy (Reply 29):
I've always wondered if Quebeckers pronounce 'Cavalier' as "KA-VAL-YAY" or the way the anglos do?

G,

Is there any other way to pronounce Cavalier? Is it not a french word? I've always pronounced it "ka-val-yay". I thought my friends that pronounced it with a bad english accent just had a bad english accent  Wink

With the Acura line of cars, the EL is made and sold only in Canada - not available in the US.

Cheers!
Len
Citizen of the World

Blackbird1331

Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:40 am

Geeeze; I'm confused. A lot of our cars are considered turkeys, but we do not eat them. Anyway, Happy Thanks Giving, Canada. Our problems are small. Together,we will solve all of them.
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

ScarletHarlot

Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:41 pm

Quoting CurtisMan (Reply 30):
With the Acura line of cars, the EL is made and sold only in Canada - not available in the US.

Yes - because Acura did not market the four door Integra in Canada. They instead gussied up the Accord and sold it as the EL.

Hatchbacks are much more popular in Canada than in the US. Apparently they just don't sell very well here.

Quoting CurtisMan (Reply 30):
I've always pronounced it "ka-val-yay".

From the quality of the Cavalier...that would be like "Tar-zhay" instead of Target.  Smile (Has Target moved into Canada yet?)

Mr Spaceman

Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:48 am

Hi guys & girls.

"Happy Thanksgiving!"

I hope all you crazy canucks out there are having a Great Thanksgiving weekend & are enjoying time with friends & family. Take Care!

Chris  Smile
"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"