gkirk

Any More Potential Clintons?

Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:56 pm

Now, admitedly I know nowt about US politics, and to be honest, I don't give a toss about US politics because thats for Americans.
However, are there any upcoming possible Presidential candidates who could become as popular and as good a President as Bill Clinton was?
Clinton still attracts loads of fans in the UK when he visits, how about other countries?
George Bush should take a look at what Clinton achieved if he is to be classified a successful President.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

AeroWesty

RE: Any More Potential Clintons?

Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:09 am

I am beginning to follow Evan Bayh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evan_Bayh
International Homo of Mystery

whitehatter

Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:16 am

Quoting Gkirk (Thread starter):
However, are there any upcoming possible Presidential candidates who could become as popular and as good a President as Bill Clinton was?

That Obama guy is showing a lot of promise. It would be hard to find anyone who has the charisma of Clinton though.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

AeroWesty

Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:19 am

Obama's problem is he's a senator. While Bayh is too, Bayh has had a successful run as governor (and Americans love to elect governors as president), and his dad, Birch, a former senator, is a familiar name.

TedTAce

Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:22 am

I think Chelsea will be a contender if so inclined when the time comes. She has her dad's appealing persona, is better looking then her mom, and will have the ability (if she chooses correctly over the next several years) to seperate herself from her parent's scandalous ways. If she chooses to follow in the foot steps of a Barak Obama, or James Carvalle, she's doomed.
This space intentionally left blank

AeroWesty

Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:27 am

Oh and Kirkie, for starting a 2008 elections thread in 2005, fancy a doin'?  Silly

gkirk

Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:53 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 5):
Oh and Kirkie, for starting a 2008 elections thread in 2005, fancy a doin'? Silly

Away and bile yer heid  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

cfalk

Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:38 am

Quoting Gkirk (Thread starter):

You have to be careful with your criteria. Clinton inherited an economy just coming off a recession, and with Internet companies like Netscape and Yahoo about to explode onto the market, adding trillions of dollars to the U.S. economy, and he faced no major foreign crises. Under such circumstances, Bozo the Clown would have gotten a good report card as president. The best that can be said about Clinton in terms of policy is that he did not get in the way.

The other reason for Clinton's popularity, apart from being at the right place at the right time, is a fantastic talent in front of a crowd, and in front of cameras. I think even the late, "great communicator" Ronald Reagan was probably no better than Clinton at connecting with the listening public.

Since Ronald Reagan, Republicans have been extremely badly represented in terms of speaking ability. GHW Bush, Bob Dole, and GW are all woefully inadequate public speakers, in an age when connecting with people on TV is all-important. The only reason GW Bush got elected is that the Democratic Party picked such lousy candidates.

On a personal note, Bill Clinton looks a lot like, speaks a lot like, and has many of the same mannerisms as my father, who gets quite upset when I mention it. My dad is about 10 years older than Clinton, but is still a pretty good ringer.

As far as future runners: I want to see both parties get away from their more radical elements. The Republicans are too beholden to the religious right. The Democrats are too close to the radical left, characterised by current DNC chairman Howard Dean (one of the most divisive, disgusting politicians ever).

My thoughts on the current roster of Candidates:

Democrats:
Hillary Rodham Clinton - Too liberal. She's tried hard to paint herself as a centrist, but I don't buy it. Speaking skills are pretty poor.

John Edwards - Pretty boy, good speaker. But he's a lawyer, like Clinton. Lawyers have no morals

John Kerry - Talked to death. Probably the only candidate capable of losing to GW Bush in spite of a screwed up war and a faltering economy.

Al Gore - Prototype of Kerry. Boring, too liberal.

Joseph Biden - Been wanting to be president for too long. He should give it up.

Wesley Clark - Relieved of duty for incompetance, by his friend Bill Clinton. Hardly a good reference.

Mark Warner - Potentially a very strong candidate from the Dems. A bit too in love with regressive taxation and 60s liberalism in my opinion, but still pretty good.

Republicans:

Rudy Giuliani - My favorite choice. Terrific, proven leadership skills. The man who cleaned up NYC. Socially centrist, someone who can probably bring people together again.

John McCain - A good man, but a bit naive sometimes (he met with Cindy Sheehan, the dope!). Not a very strong speaker.

Condoleezza Rice - Smart as hell, and would certainly give blacks and women
something to think about (are Democrats REALLY looking out for our interests?). But she would be tarred with the Iraq War debacle.

Newt Gingrich - No way.

Mitt Romney - Don't know too much about him. Republican Mormon from Mass. - interesting combo.

Bill Frist - Too controversial this early.

George Allen - I like many of this guy's positions, but have never heard him speak. Not afraid to say things as they are.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

AeroWesty

Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:48 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 7):
Mitt Romney - Don't know too much about him. Republican Mormon from Mass. - interesting combo.

Make that The Well-Known Carpetbagger from Massachusettes.

Newark777

Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:58 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 8):

Make that The Well-Known Carpetbagger from Massachusettes.

Speaking of carpetbaggers.....  Wink

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

AeroWesty

Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:02 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 9):
Speaking of carpetbaggers

I wouldn't vote for her, either.  Wink