HT
Topic Author

Seeking Info About Death Valley, CA

Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:11 pm

Hi,
I´ll make a second trip to Death Valley, CA later this month. While on my first visit I already explored some points (Zabriskie Point, 20-mule canyon, Badwater, Artists Drive, etc.), this time I´ll try to hit some other points. Apart from what I´ve read in the Michelin Guide, does anybody have insider info about:
- Titus Canyon
- Ubehebe Crater
- Eureka dunes (is it worth the long drive ?)
- Dunes north of Stovepipe Wells

I.e. Info that´s not available from http://www.nps.gov/deva/
Oh, btw I´ll use a rented 4x4 and will have accomodation in Ridgecrest, CA.
Thanks in advance for any info !
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

cxsjr

RE: Seeking Info About Death Valley, CA

Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:28 am

I can tell you it's been a good seven or eight years since I went to Death Valley; I will have to consult my old books when I get home as I'm sure we went to Stovepipe Wells - and possibly the dunes but I'm not good with names - I just remember the places.

Give me some time and I'll mail you if I find any details back home. Good luck with any other info meantime.

sjr
The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page ....

TUNisia

Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:44 am

Since you'll be in the area I suggest making a trip down to the Salton Sea, it's south of Rancho Mirage / Palm Springs, so you'd have to do some dirving. It is well worth it however ! Then on your way back up to the Death Valley area you could also visit the Joshua Tree National Park.

[Edited 2005-10-10 17:51:40]
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

aerobalance

Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:09 am

I recommend driving west from Death Valley on highway 190 to highway 395 and go north to the mammoth lakes area. The long valley caldera and it's volcanic history is just amazing.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

HT
Topic Author

Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:18 am

Thanks for all the input so far !

Quoting TUNisia (Reply 2):
Since you'll be in the area I suggest making a trip down to the Salton Sea, it's south of Rancho Mirage / Palm Springs, so you'd have to do some dirving. It is well worth it however ! Then on your way back up to the Death Valley area you could also visit the Joshua Tree National Park.

That´s exactly what will be part #3 of my holiday. I just booked my hotel at Indio earlier today (changed hotels). Also on my list is Anza-Borrego State Park.
Part #2 will see a number of daytrips from Ridgecrest (into Death Valley, up into Owens Valley, plus one day at Edwards AFB Open House).
For part #1 I´ve booked myself into a motel in Santa Ana for a visit to the Miramar Air Show (yeah I know that its 80 miles to travel but I´m too lazy to chnage hotels too often), some pleasure flights out of LBG & SNA and possibly some brief spotting at LAX on Sunday 16-OCT.

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 3):
go north to the mammoth lakes area.

Sofar I neglected that area as its quite a long daytrip from Ridgecrest, but after having read through an article of Mammoth region, I will consider it.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !