HAWK21M
Topic Author

Anyone Experienced Loneliness

Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:56 pm

Anyone Experienced being lonely.ie Having no living Family member around,no relatives,dependents.....Not including friends.
But actually Staying Alone.
Anyone in that situation.Whats it like.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

flyAUA

RE: Anyone Experienced Loneliness

Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:11 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Thread starter):

It's not fun. My friends are the only thing that keep me going when I'm so far from all the other things...  Sad
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

Birdwatching

Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:13 pm

Man, I've been there. Luckily, no matter where you are, there's always Anet, and we're all one big family!  Smile
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:27 pm

I suppose the Tough part would be when you get back home at the end of the day.
regds
MEL

mia

Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:31 pm

I feel lonely like 80% of my day. I experience chronic loneliness, which explains my constant depression.
"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

VSlover

Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:58 pm

oh sure. many people are surprised to know that nyc can truly be one of the most lonely places to live at times.

the lonliness is only exacerbated by the sheer number of people that surround you on a daily basis. most anyone that has lived there and has some type of career knows exactly what i'm talking about.

Mir

Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:18 pm

Quoting MIA (Reply 4):
I feel lonely like 80% of my day. I experience chronic loneliness, which explains my constant depression.

Wow, me too. That's why there's a.net!

North Dakota would be a lonely place without it. Heck, it's a lonely place with it.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

SlamClick

Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:31 pm

Oh yeah!

I spent the last six years of my working life not living at home. Six years! My wife commented one time when I was visiting home that this was a good rehearsal for when one of us dies. There were periods within those years when I only got home maybe once every six months for a week or so.

I wasn't lonely when I left home as a youth and went into the military. I missed my home and family but I was exactly where I wanted to be. That was my new life and I embraced that. The last six years were infinitely worse.

Keep busy and don't pass up social opportunities.

On one occasion I went to work as a consultant to a small airline. They gave me a nice little out-of-the-way office where I would not be disturbed. I set up the computer, got copies of all their ops-related manuals and set to work. About three weeks later I suddenly pushed back from my desk and said: "I'm lonesome!" I went outside to the smoking area and got in the conversations there. Started taking cigarette breaks - didn't smoke but just to have someone to talk to.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

VSlover

Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:44 pm

sorry, my statement was incomplete and i cant edit now.

what i meant to say is that i have really been living away from my family for almost 10 years now, since i was 17.

now, being in nyc, with no family and work sucking up my life, there were times when i would have no available friends to even hang out with as i stopped making plans with them because so often i would just have to break them for work. so the few times i would get out of work early on a saturday (for example) no one was around or available...this was around the holidays two years ago and thats when i realized the city can be SO lonely. the only thing that kept me from slipping into a depression was optimism that this was only a temporary period and the power to change the situation was wholly within my control.

eventually i did seek out other social opportunities with acquaintances or attended social events on my own. it is a rough patch but i believe most everyone goes through it at some point and emerges a better person because of it...eventually.

Birdwatching

Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:09 am

This year, I was alone on my birthday for the first time in my life. Seems like everybody else had forgotten it too, so I didn't even get any calls. My parents called 15 minutes late (at 0015!), but thats ok, they're 6 time zones behind and were still at work. The only emails I got were automatically-generated birthday messages from places like amazon.com. During the day, I was in university and I kind of forgot it was my birthday because I was among people. I'm not the kind of person who tells everybody it's their birthday, so I just didn't. Then I came home and I felt really really lonely. It was depressively rainy outside and my heating took like 2 hours to get going. I felt so miserable I cried a little bit. Yeah thats right, a 23 year old guy crying a little bit. So finaly I decided to go to Anet and post a thread in the forum... but heck, I didn't, because I would have been flamed with cargo bay pictures!  Smile

Oh well... still I love you all for being there when nobody else is!
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

AeroWesty

Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:15 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Thread starter):

My only sister lives 2500 miles away, my sole first cousin probably 1500 miles away, and there are probably second cousins floating around out there I don't even know about. Everyone else is dead and gone.

I've never felt the least bit lonely.
International Homo of Mystery

Birdwatching

Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:30 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 10):
I've never felt the least bit lonely.

Wow, you're a hero, man.  sarcastic 

Nordair

Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:38 am

There is no greater loneliness than being lonely in a crowd.
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

AeroWesty

Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:42 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 11):
Ê

Why the sarcastic look? I was never brought up in a big happy kumbaya family unit. I never even knew I had a first cousin until she appeared at my father's remarriage when I was in my early 20's.

For the last 20 years or so I've either hosted holidays or been invited out for occasions that mean anything, and find things to do during times, like right now, when I'm temporarily not all that mobile.

My sister is happy in Florida, and if I ever want to visit her, she's a plane ride away.

Question was asked, and I answered it. If you have lonliness issues, and can't deal with those who don't, maybe you should take a look at that.  Smile

BigOrange

Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:06 am

Right after I bought my own house, I used to come home from work and get anxiety attacks. Even after I got married I still suffered anxiety attacks if I got home first.

Previous to that I lived in a shared house with 5 other people, and there was always someone around.

Birdwatching

Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:16 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 13):
Question was asked, and I answered it. If you have lonliness issues, and can't deal with those who don't, maybe you should take a look at that.

AeroWesty, I apologize for that post... actually you're really lucky you don't ever feel lonely. I really dont know why I posted that. Guess I was kind of jealous  Smile Ok, we're friends again, right?  thumbsup   wave 

AeroWesty

Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:43 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 15):
Ok, we're friends again, right?

Of course, no offense was taken.  Smile

UAL747

Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:49 am

Well, basically other than my mother, I rarely see any of my relatives. They call or I call them, but we don't see each other so often, or less than I would like.

As far as friends go, I have far and few between. I dunno...I'm definitely lonely. Sometimes I feel like don't fit in with a lot of people. I mean, I DEFINITELY like my privacy, but I need to be more social.

Then there's the relationship thing. I haven't been or been "dating" someone since 2001, and the last person was a GIRL! Blah, I can assume you understand how well that relationship went.

But yeah, I'm hella lonely. But I hope that will soon change. It gets depressing. That's a fact.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

concord977

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:03 am

Mel, I know you have a beautiful daughter. Is she not living with you? Or was your question not based on your own experience at all?

I experienced what you described for the very first time last year. It is a strong feeling. I'm still trying to shake it. Maybe that's why I lurk on a.net and other forums so much. To simulate the company I used to have and don't anymore.

Some people are afraid to admit being lonely because other people will think of them as 'losers' (expecially on a.net). The most understanding you will likely get on a.net is an empty cargo bay and being told to "get a life". Big deal. I don't see it that way. It's just the circumstances that you find yourself in at times.

You see people every day in your life that are potential friends. But the opportunity slips by. Everyone is afraid to make the first move of friendship.

Weird.
No info

RobertNL070

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:09 am

Often been alone for lengths of time, but I've only had very rare moments of loneliness. Even when I was totally alone for Christmas 1993 and 1994, I didn't feel lonesome. That comes of being an afterthought I think, with much older siblings, and very much older parents: my parents are 41 years older than me. Being brought up in a very 'adult' environment, and not being able to relate very well with my peers, as a child I very often had take care of and amuse myself.

Regards, Robert  bouncy 
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

AeroWesty

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:22 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 17):
I mean, I DEFINITELY like my privacy, but I need to be more social.

Here's some unsolicited advice. You can make your own social events happen. Let me explain.

When I was growing up, it was set in stone we'd spend Thanksgiving with my mother's side of the family, and Christmas with my father's. Easter was a wing-it free-for-all, that usually ended up with us going to Carmel or the Napa Valley or some such.

As my sister and I got older, and relatives died off, our Christmas usually consisted of "Christmas Lunch", where we'd invite friends that had been close to our family out somewhere nice the Saturday before the holiday, and we'd pick up the tab. That gave us a "holiday" with each other, and with people we wanted to be with, but also let us go our separate ways on the actual day. Until my best friend died a couple of years ago, I would just head to the airport and fly off to Phoenix.

My Thanksgivings are legendary. After my mother died, I started going to Europe over Thanksgiving so I'd only have to use one week of vacation, get a 10-day trip out of it, and do my Christmas shopping. One year a friend joined me and we ended up having Thanksgiving dinner in the dining room of the Amsterdam Marriott. Now, they just didn't quite understand the holiday, because they were dressed up as cowboys, cowgirls, and native american indians--the Wild West in full regalia. Building on that theme, I started hosting Thanksgivings where I'd pick a historical American event, but just not do it right--on purpose. Martha Stewart would have a coronary, but probably have a laugh about it in the end. It started out with just inviting people I knew who were single and were alone over the holiday. This year, people already have their travel plans in place, even though I can't do as much as I have in the past, just because I can't stand all day long, everyone's said it's okay, they want the tradition to continue, and have parcelled out what to do. We'll even have a chat room setup on AIM where people can say hello to friends online and see what everyone else is doing.

It is possible to look loneliness in the face, and have a laugh at it. It just takes choosing to say, "I'm going to do something else."

RobertNL070

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:25 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 20):
It is possible to look loneliness in the face, and have a laugh at it. It just takes choosing to say, "I'm going to do something else."

Kudos. Good philosophy AeroWesty.

Regards, Robert  bouncy 

Nordair

Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:26 am

It is far better to be lonely than it is to have people who pretend to be your friend because they think of you as a pushover, try to use you as their own private bank account, lie to you, deceive you, and rob you of your dignity until they are sure they've gotten from you all they can.

Yes, loneliness is not such a bad thing at all!
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

ScarletHarlot

Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:40 am

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 19):
That comes of being an afterthought I think, with much older siblings, and very much older parents: my parents are 41 years older than me. Being brought up in a very 'adult' environment, and not being able to relate very well with my peers, as a child I very often had take care of and amuse myself.

Holy cows Robert, this is like reading about myself. I'm an only child, my mom was 42 when I was born. I am very good at being alone, because I'm so used to it. I also was more used to adults than kids, and even now have no problem relating to older people.
But that was when I ruled the world

RobertNL070

Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:57 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 23):
Holy cows Robert, this is like reading about myself. I'm an only child, my mom was 42 when I was born. I am very good at being alone, because I'm so used to it. I also was more used to adults than kids, and even now have no problem relating to older people.

smile 

Kind regards, Robert  bouncy 

flyAUA

Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:29 am

Quoting Nordair (Reply 22):
It is far better to be lonely than it is to have people who pretend to be your friend because they think of you as a pushover, try to use you as their own private bank account, lie to you, deceive you, and rob you of your dignity until they are sure they've gotten from you all they can.

Yes, loneliness is not such a bad thing at all!

WOW, are you sure you're not a shrink? How much do you charge?! Big grin
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

pilot kaz

Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:34 am

Lets see.....

- Been getting let down by friends often
- Was chucked into Foster care when I was young
- Never had many friends in School
- Been feeling lonely whilst at home nearly every night
- And Lost my Job...

I feel more than lonely right now..
-

Nordair

Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:08 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 25):
WOW, are you sure you're not a shrink? How much do you charge?!

Alas, the burden of wisdom weighs heavily on my shoulders.  cheeky 

Birdwatching

Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:09 am

Quoting Pilot kaz (Reply 26):
RR: 80

Quoting Pilot kaz (Reply 26):
Never had many friends

You do here!

TNboy

Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:07 am

A couple of times I had to leave my wife/home for maybe 12 months at a time because of work-related stuff. It was sort of lonely, but at least I knew there was a clear time-frame to it, and so it was easy enough to handle. Actually I quite enjoyed parts of it, and made sure I used the 'freedom' to do new things (no, nothing naughty!)
More recently, my wife and I relocated to a remote part of Australia for a job. We were there 12 years, a long way from family and friends, but we loved it. Made lots of new friends and had a ball.
All this has made me realise that loneliness can be very largely a challenge which we can partly control ourselves if we really have the right attitude.
Pilotkaz - just remember that in a few years, this period of your life will be referred to as "that time when I was in and out of jobs, before the big break came", and you will look back and realise it was just a temporary hitch. We have all had them. Think and act positive Kaz, and the rest will follow!! Don't let the bastards get you down, girl!
Cheers
Bill
"...every aircraft is subtly different.."

comorin

Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:57 am

Loneliness can happen when you are separated from a group, family or a loved one... a withdrawal symptom. The remedy is to reverse the situation - takes an effort, but it's possible. Keep making an effort, and soon the zing is back in your life.

The worse kind of loneliness is brought about by mild depression - you can actually feel it in the stomach, in the throat, etc. You feel separated from the world around you, feel that nobody understands you, and since you're not quite chipper, nobody reaches out to you either. It's difficult to snap out of it, the lonelier you feel, the lonelier you get! This is when you need a helping hand - therapy, religion, medicines - whatever works for you.

I've found that loneliness is a feeling, but not necessarily a reality. The cravings for real friends, people who understand you and so on tend to dissipate as you feel better.

This is just a take based on my experiences in life, hope it's useful...

captaink

Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:03 am

I moved from Grenada, WI to live and study in mexico. Trust me I get really lonely at times. I have made some good friends here but sometimes you just want to go home. Not being able to speak the language properly, getting used to new culture and food it takes it toll on you at times... But as someone mentioned, the one thing that hasn't changed is that A.net is around and on it you can find some really cool cats...

But I while i do enjoy the experience of living for myself in a strange country I do get rather lonely and homesick at times..
There is something special about planes....

j_hallgren

Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:48 pm

My real true loneliness began in Aug 2000 when my close Aunt died..leaving me with just my Mom (and an Aunt in Sweden)
It got much worse in Jun 2002 when my Mom died...both with NO warning!
So when my Aunt in Sweden died in Sep 2004, it left me with NO relatives closer than 2-nd cousins...who almost never call/write....yes, I do feel lonely...and with no real job (retired), sometimes it can be days when I don't talk to anyone in person...good thing there is TV/radio/Net!
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

Logan22L

Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:02 pm

Well, I'm a different sort. I have some family left, (Father, sister, Brother-in-Law), but I have only a tight connection with my Father. This was not always so.

Back in 1998, my Mother passed away, and she was the glue of my family, including Aunts, Uncles, and cousins from across the country. I had had several personal conversations with my Mother about her strong Catholic faith, and I had some pressing questions for her. We had some very objective conversations back in 1979-1981.

We disagreed, but we agreed to disagree. I didn't have the guts to communicate this with the rest of my family, so when I got married in 1999, after my Mother passed, there was great resentment among my Aunts/Uncles/cousins that we did not get married in a Catholic Church. I wish I could have explained the conversations I had had with my mom to them, but they left our wedding long before any of the fun started.

To this day, I have realized that being alone has nothing to do with being lonely. There are times I wish I were not alone, and I am very selective of friends, but I do not regret any second of solitude.

Find yourself, my friends (that is a tall order). After that, you will never be alone. You may actually find that you prefer it.

John
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

fumanchewd

Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm

Yeah, all the time. But I just tear one off and I feel alot better.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

Adam T.

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:03 pm

Coming to New Zealand to study abroad I experienced lonliness, and was pretty depressed about it for a month. Strangely enough, I did some traveling and after that I was fine for the most part........I do feel lonely though when it comes to the fact that I am single and am having a hard time getting into the dating scene.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:18 pm

This is one Happy Lonely man.
regds
MEL

ZKSUJ

Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:27 pm

It doesn't feel too bad until something in your life goes wrong and no one you trust is there to turn to.
But you get used to it after a while I guess.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:38 am

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 37):

It doesn't feel too bad until something in your life goes wrong and no one you trust is there to turn to.

I guess the toughest part is to find the right kind of friends.
regds
MEL

BigOrange

Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:46 am

It is far better to be lonely than it is to have people who pretend to be your friend because they think of you as a pushover, try to use you as their own private bank account, lie to you, deceive you

Well said Nordair. Having experienced a situation like this I agree fully!

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:57 am

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 39):
It is far better to be lonely than it is to have people who pretend to be your friend because they think of you as a pushover, try to use you as their own private bank account, lie to you, deceive you

Well said Nordair. Having experienced a situation like this I agree fully!

But there would be some Friends who are like you looking for True Friendship.The problem is how do you find such people.
You'll need to go thru 200 to find 2.

regds
MEL

AeroWesty

Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:02 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 40):
You'll need to go thru 200 to find 2.

But those 2 make going through the other 198 so worth it.

airxliban

Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:06 am

Felt lonely three times in life...I've just moved to Oxford and I have been making plenty of friends here but it is not the same.

Anyway I could go and describe when I was feeling lonely and what I did about it but what is the point of this thread? To share stories or to say what we did about the loneliness? I'm interested in participating on both counts.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:54 am

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 42):
To share stories or to say what we did about the loneliness

Tips To find True Friends maybe.
regds
MEL

captaink

Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:00 am

I find that when I call home i feel a little better. I am 24, but I miss my mother so much it is unbelievable... I thought that it is just part of life you grow up and move out and continue with life. But I am really close to my 'rents especially my mommy. Am I too old for this?

But seriously calling home really helps me, just to hear everyones voice.

Nordair

Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:05 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 44):
But I am really close to my 'rents especially my mommy. Am I too old for this?

You're never too old to love and miss anyone! There is nothing wrong with being close to your parents. Missing them is an indication of how much they matter to you.

edited because my spelling sucks today

[Edited 2005-10-12 20:09:02]

ScarletHarlot

Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:07 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 44):
But I am really close to my 'rents especially my mommy. Am I too old for this?

You're damned lucky is what you are. Enjoy your good relationship with them and realize that you are very fortunate!
But that was when I ruled the world

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:08 am

Quoting Nordair (Reply 45):
There is nothing wrong with being close to your parents

Out here Family is very Important.So I've seen many Friends face this.Nothing wrong.
regds
MEL

captaink

Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:12 am

That's is true ScarletHarlot I should consider myself lucky to have parents to miss. Some people aren't that lucky.. My heart goes out to them...  Sad

SmithAir747

Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:57 am

Loneliness and solitude have been constant companions throughout my life...

Let's see:
*Being born with some rare facial birth defects and life-threatening complications, and my biological parents giving me up immediately for adoption in the state foster care/adoption system in Indiana; being raised for my first 3 years by a foster mother in Indy, and finally, I found my "forever family" in the large family of 9 kids and 2 parents who loved me enough to adopt me.

*Being rejected by one elementary school after another because they couldn't handle my challenges (speech, deafness, autism, etc)--both Christian and public schools!

*Junior high--a living hell (no other word for it) for 2 years.

*However, I finally found a wonderful, accepting school in Canterbury School, Fort Wayne, IN (where I went to high school)--a school that was more like a family to me.

*Losing my father (he was 72) due to a terminal illness in 1995, leaving behind my mother; both had raised 10 of us kids(!) with challenges in a loving home. Dad and I had plenty of bonding times--our frequent long driving trips to St. Louis, MO, for my many surgeries; our frequent trips into Fort Wayne, IN, to my high school and university for quite a few years (before I started to drive at 20); etc.

*Finally, moving away from my family in the United States to attend King's College London, UK, so far away! I LOVE it here in England, but miss them all (they, especially Mom, miss me just as much, if not more!). That means, birthdays and Christmases alone (but with their love and thoughts in my heart) in a different part of the world.

I find ways to deal with the loneliness--my faith in God, my resourcefulness, and the circles of friends at home in the US as well as among people here in the United Kingdom as I meet and make friends with them.

What do I do for Christmas here in England? Instead of sitting here in London by my lonesome, I have (like I did last year here) decided to sign up for HostUK, an organisation that places foreign university students with UK families over Christmas and other times of the year. Last year I had a great time with my host family!

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)