Boeing744
Topic Author

Braniff Commercial At End Of South Park?

Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:35 pm

Hi Everyone!
I was just wondering if anyone knew why there is a Braniff commercial at the end of every South Park episode? The commercial is about 5 seconds long and has a very poor graphic of a 727, and reads "Braniff, Belive It!" I just find this odd, because I think Braniff ceased operations well before South park was created. Thanks!

airtran737

RE: Braniff Commercial At End Of South Park?

Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:40 pm

I believe that when they first made the show they needed a production company on the end of the credits. At first it was no big deal, but then the company who own the Braniff name found out about it and took Matt Stone and Trey Parker to court. The reached a settlement, and they continue to use the 727 with the Braniff name to this day.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

OPNLguy

Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:42 pm

From one of the couple of dozen previous threads on the subject:

Q: What's with the Braniff Airlines bit at the end of each episode? Believe it?

A: I believe I've answered this before, but I'll do it again...for laughs. When Matt and Trey delivered the pilot to Comedy Central, they didn't have a bumper (you know, that card at the end of the show that tells you who created it).

Not having an appropriate company name or logo to use (Avenging Conscience notwithstanding), they tossed in the logo of Braniff Airlines - a defunct airline from the 60s and 70s - the music is the melody from "Cannibal." After the show aired, they were contacted by a company that owned the rights to the Braniff name and logo. An agreement was made to allow them the use of the logo on South Park broadcasts, but not on any other projects in the future.

Let that be a lesson to you kids. Always consult your lawyer."
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Boeing744
Topic Author

Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:45 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 2):
From one of the couple of dozen previous threads on the subject:

Sorry, I did a search on the topic and nothing showed up. Thanks for the answers though.

OPNLguy

Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:49 pm

Quoting Boeing744 (Reply 3):
Sorry, I did a search on the topic and nothing showed up. Thanks for the answers though.

Not a prob...  Wink
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

FlyGuyClt

Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:18 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 2):
Not having an appropriate company name or logo to use (Avenging Conscience notwithstanding), they tossed in the logo of Braniff Airlines - a defunct airline from the 60s and 70s - the music is the melody from "Cannibal." After the show aired, they were contacted by a company that owned the rights to the Braniff name and logo. An agreement was made to allow them the use of the logo on South Park broadcasts, but not on any other projects in the future.

The BRANIFF that is used for this commercial was Braniff, Inc. Braniff, Inc., operated from 1984 to 1989. This company was brought back into the air by Jay Pritzker of Hyatt Hotels. In 1988 Mr. Pritzker sold the company to a group of investors led by Jeffrey Cadorow who was the famed owner of Rocco's on NBC's The Restaurant. The BRANIFF, BELIEVE IT, was the companies last slogan. When Braniff, Inc (84) took to the skies. It was "Braniff, The best low fair in the air, Believe it." Since Chadow had taken over, his team led by former Piedmont exec, Bill McGee, wanted to shorten it to just "Believe It!"

For more information on ALL Braniff's drop by. www.braniffpages.com

So Many Braniff's.  Smile

Braniff International Airways. 1927 to 1982.
Braniff, Inc. 1984 to 1989.
Braniff International Airlines. 1991 to 1992.

Safe Flying  

[Edited 2005-10-12 12:21:57]

[Edited 2005-10-12 12:28:45]
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......