NWA742
Topic Author

Police K9 Saves Officers' Lives

Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:26 am

http://www.lineofduty.com/blotterstory.asp?StoryID=80793

Quote:
Wiping away tears and occasionally breaking down, the handler of a Long Beach police dog killed in a shootout said Tuesday the animal saved officers' lives the night he died.

"I know that one of us would have gotten shot that night," Long Beach Police Officer Mike Parcells told NBC4's Gordon Tokumatsu.

Ranger, a 4-year-old Belgian Malinois, will be honored during a funeral service Wednesday. His ashes will be buried at the Long Beach Police Academy, next to three other Long Beach police dogs killed in the line of duty.

Ranger was shot to death Oct. 2 while police attempted to flush an armed parolee from his hiding spot under a porch. Agustin Murguia, 22, was also killed in the exchange of gunfire.

That night, Parcells was seen in news footage helping carry the mortally wounded Ranger to an animal hospital. But Ranger died later that night.

"I don't think that (Murguia) saw the dog," Parcells said. "I can almost guarantee he didn't see the dog. He saw something pass in front of light, saw a muzzle flash, and the dog jumped up onto the patio. Um, and his back legs were down."

This one almost had me watering up -- running with the dog to the animal hospital.

Gotta feel sorry for this guy, he just lost a loving member of his family. I know how it feels. Good thing they eradicated the waste of life that was shooting at them.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

andz

RE: Police K9 Saves Officers' Lives

Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:14 am

One of our local radio stations had a telethon last year to raise money to buy flak jackets for police dogs. As I recall they had a great response.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

ANCFlyer

Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:42 am

I've worked with two dog handlers . . . both dogs were definitely a member of the team. One in particular - Trooper - is retired now and still lives with the APD officer that raised and trained him. Awesome dog . . .

tombstone  Ranger.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

atrude777

Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:17 am

That is really sad. The dog did his duty, and the owner should be very proud of the dog and what he went through. It almost makes me cry, my old dog was very protective of me and she didn't care what it was, she would stand in front of me to protect me. It is heartbreaking the dog died. Sad

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!