rsmith6621a

Bush Teleconference With Soldiers Staged

Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:48 am

WASHINGTON - It was billed as a conversation with U.S. troops, but the questionsPresident Bush asked on a teleconference call Thursday were choreographed to match his goals for the war inIraq and Saturday's vote on a new Iraqi constitution.
"This is an important time," Allison Barber, deputy assistant defense secretary, said, coaching the soldiers before Bush arrived. "The president is looking forward to having just a conversation with you."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051014/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_iraq

Could it be that the pressure that Karl Rove is under with the impending multi indictment that are coming down that he has lost his touch in regards to setting up the perfect camera photo-op for bush.

This is a sad day for america when the president will use our soldiers as political pawns. This is the most disguting event that this president and his administrators have setup in both of his terms. I would hope that the familys of thoses soldeirs will be seeing them home(alive) soon it is the least that can be done.

America is in its saddest days.
Did You Ever Think Freedom Could Be this Bad

theCoz

RE: Bush Teleconference With Soldiers Staged

Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:00 pm

DfwRevolution

Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:02 pm

Quoting Rsmith6621a (Thread starter):
the questionsPresident Bush asked on a teleconference call Thursday were choreographed to match his goals for the war inIraq and Saturday's vote on a new Iraqi constitution.

Ooohh, scandalous  eyebrow 

This is a sad day for america when the president will use our soldiers as political pawns

It's a sad day when a President can't come up with something original. When have you not seen the President "meet the troops," especially in a time of war:

This is the most disguting event that this president and his administrators have setup in both of his terms.

Oh please, and the fraud, deception, and thievery on their watches all take a back seat to a staged press conference? Give me a break.

Move over Watergate and Iran Contra, answers were fed to the troops in a press confrence  Yeah sure

America is in its saddest days.

Whatever... your priorities are so out of whack if this pisses you off.

We invaded a country on the pretense of WMDs, which turned out to be completely false, failed to build international support against terrorism, and have failed to suppress a continued insurgency. But oh, a press conference, what has the world come to these days?  Yeah sure

Disgruntled in Dallas,
Ryan

navymidn

Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:12 pm

Guys, answers were not fed to the soldiers. It was just prearranged what questions President Bush would ask, and who and in what order they would be answered. I see no problem with this, as you would want the expert on a certain situation to answer that question.
Law is a major base of civilized society

jetjack74

Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:24 pm

It was billed as a conversation with U.S. troops, but the questionsPresident Bush asked on a teleconference call Thursday were choreographed to match his goals for the war inIraq and Saturday's vote on a new Iraqi constitution.
"This is an important time," Allison Barber, deputy assistant defense secretary, said, coaching the soldiers before Bush arrived. "The president is looking forward to having just a conversation with you."

So this is the best you can come up with?
Made from jets!

CaptOveur

Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:34 pm

I am still waiting on Rsmith to start a thread saying Bush is awful because of what he ate for breakfast that morning.. Give it time, we will see it.

Unless Ted beats him to it.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

B744F

Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:47 pm

least amount of press conferences in history. All staged in one way or the other. Be proud, your President is pure genius

L-188

Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:51 pm

Question:

If (Blank) is standing out in the middle of the woods and says something bad about G.W.....Does anybody care any more?

Insert who you want for blank.
Streisand
Carvell
Radcliff
Clinton
Rsmith6621a
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

oldeuropean

Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:02 pm

It reminds me on the propaganda in the USSR, China or North Korea.

"Mr. President (or they used perhaps "Great Leader"), everything is ok! Everythink works as expected!"

Do you really believe these faked statements?

Axel

[Edited 2005-10-14 09:26:24]
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

ANCFlyer

Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:09 pm

Well, Smitty, of course it was staged . . . . the President doesn't take a shit without a meeting of the White House Inner Circle . . . .

What's your point?

Or more to the point . . . so frickin' what?
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

oly720man

Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:51 pm

This is a sad day for america when the president will use our soldiers as political pawns.

That's what they're there for. To carry out whatever duty is asked of them.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Henry_Kissinger

Quote #2

"Military men are dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns for foreign policy."
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

TedTAce

Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:05 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 5):
Ted beats him to it.

See this once again makes my point I'm NOT Rsmith... Randy goes from the obviously staged media event(who cares?), to Karl Rove?!?!?! At least I complain about the stories I post and stick to the subject at hand.. If I post a Bush story I flame Bush, If I post a Clinton story I flame Sandy Berger....ooooppss.. that didn't seem right..
This space intentionally left blank

jaysit

Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:02 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 7):
If (Blank) is standing out in the middle of the woods and says something bad about G.W.....Does anybody care any more?

Actually, luv, if GWB is standing out in the middle of the woods and says ... uhhh... anything.....Does anybody care any more?
Atheism is Myth Understood.

tbar220

Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:59 pm

I'd like to see an honest interview with soldiers by the president. No coreography, no briefing. Just let the soldiers speak their mind to the president. I wonder what we would really hear...

Probably not what we heard in this "teleconference".
NO URLS in signature

Pope

Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:03 pm

This is really getting scary. I can accept an occassional press mistake or a subordinate screwing up. But it seems that on a fairly regular basis, this administration is being caught manufacturing the news.

Bush is definitely on the ropes.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

usnseallt82

Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:13 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 2):
Whatever... your priorities are so out of whack if this pisses you off.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 13):
I'd like to see an honest interview with soldiers by the president. No coreography, no briefing. Just let the soldiers speak their mind to the president. I wonder what we would really hear...

Guess what? He has had several honest, private interviews with soldiers, both on the battlefield and off. And guess what? They weren't publicized because they were exactly what you want them to be.....private. You know what he heard? An occasional 'why the hell are we here?' but a strong majority voice of 'we support you, sir, wherever you lead us.' I wish that people could see inside much of what isn't publicized. I strongly believe that most of the hatred of Bush comes from media outlets not putting forth the full truth and only worrying about ratings.
Crye me a river

DaddiesSecret

Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:20 pm

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 15):
strongly believe that most of the hatred of Bush comes from media outlets not putting forth the full truth and only worrying about ratings.

that WON'T be fox then...

Schoenorama

Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:49 pm

To those of us who have been critical of the whole Iraqi adventure, this really is nothing new. It is clearly part of a pattern of propaganda, something the neo-cons on this board just can't imagine their Government would use.

Two years ago, retired Air Force Col Sam Gardiner (who once taught at the National War College) and who is an expert on military strategy and strategic games, published a study titled "Truth from These Podia. Summary of a Study of Strategic Influence, Perception Management, Strategic Information Warfare and Strategic Psychological Operations in Gulf II". In this study, he described 50 news-stories which were in the media and which were deliberately either incomplete or completely false. For some of these stories the original sources were unknown, for others unanimous "government officials" were quoted.

On many occassions senior Administration Officials and high-ranking officers deliberately allowed imcomplete or false information "to linger" in the media and thereby reaching their primary objective. Such was the case, for instance, with the Jessica Lynch story which was allowed "to develop" in the media (with or without active interference) and absolutely the same can be said about the misunderstanding the US General Public had about Saddam being behind 9/11.

Mr Gardiner describes how a joint US/Uk misinformation campaign was carefully conducted long before the actual invasion and beyond. The objectives of this campaign were various: to gain public support at home, to weaken adversaries abroad (UN, Hans Blix, ElBaradei, France, Germany, Russia) and to weaken the moral of the enemy. The latter of these three is the less worrisome, in my opinion. But the other two can only be categorised as pure and simple propaganda.

"propaganda Show phonetics
noun [U] MAINLY DISAPPROVING
information, ideas, opinions or images, often only giving one part of an argument, which are broadcast, published or in some other way spread with the intention of influencing people's opinions:" (http://dictionary.cambridge.org)

A perfect example described by Gardiner in his study is the story about Iraq executing prisoners during the first days/weeks of the invasion. The truth is that at that time, it was completely unknown whether two POW's were executed or just died because of their battle-inflicted wounds. But this didn't stop the US/UK propaganda machine to use the story. High-ranking officers, Blair, Bush and Rumsfeld, they all used the story as if the execution were a fact. In the UK, the story disappeared soon after one of the soldier's sister reported that his colonel had said he was not executed. Despite this, on April 3, 5 and 7 Bush, Blair and Rumsfeld repeated the story as a fact in numerous appearances before the national and international media.

Another example is the story on the Iraqis allegedly using US military uniforms. It first surfaced on March 7, 2003: "Iraq is acquiring military uniforms "identical down to the last detail" to those worn by American and British forces and plans to use them to shift blame for atrocities, a senior U.S. official said Thursday. Jim Wilkinson, Tampa Florida."

It re-surfaced a couple of weeks later on March, 26th: Soldiers in the U.S. 3rd Infantry moving north toward Baghdad say they believe they have been attacked by Iraqis wearing American uniforms. And they say they’re worried that some of the uniforms were stolen several weeks ago while the U.S. troops were in Kuwait. David Bloom, NBC."

On that same day, the Pentagon's chief spokeswoman Victoria Clarke also picked up the story in her daily briefing and mentioned, when asked, she had in fact seen one report which suggested the story. Two days later, on March 28th, Rumsfeld used it as if it already were a proven fact: "They put on American and British uniforms to try to fool regular Iraqi soldiers into surrendering to them, and then execute them as an example for others who might contemplate defection or capitulation."

Another very effective tactic was to put out a story and simply "let it linger" without getting too much into detail. Such a story is the one about the French Roland Missiles. On April 9th, Brig. Gen. Brooks reported: ""...found an underground storage facility containing an abundance of food and also Roland-type air defense missiles. That’s a specific air defense missile system." When an A-10 was shot down near the Baghdad airport, a “Pentagon spokesman” pointed out they thought it was hit with a Roland missiles, something definately not mentioned in the CENTCOM Briefing. (Emphasis added in quotes)

Lt. Greg Holmes even went a little further in an April 21st Newsweek interview: "U.S. forces discovered 51 Roland-2 missiles, made by a partnership of French and German arms manufacturers…one of the missiles he examined was labeled 05-11 KND 2002 which he took to mean the missile was manufactured last year."

All these stories were part of the "Punish the French (and German)" Campaign to undermine both countries credibility regarding their posittion on Iraq. The Roland-2 production line was shut down in 1993 while the export of these missiles had already been stopped in 1990, something the US military certainly must have known.

The case of Joseph Wilson/Valerie Plame, although not mentioned in Gardiner's study, fits perfectly into the punishing-strategy as it was clearly aimed at undermining former Ambassador Wilson's credibility. And the celebration of pre-scripted & pre-screened Live Interviews also fits perfectly within this US Administration's policy of misinformation and deception.

As Gardiner points out, the name of Jim Wilkinson appears along with many of the stories he has investigated. In March 2003, Wilkinson was General Tommy Frank's Director of Strategic Communications, a euphemism for the Head of the Propaganda Apparatus. Since the end of 2003, Wilkinson is Deputy Assistant to the President and Deputy National Security Advisor for Communications and reports directly to Condoleezza Rica and White House Communications Director Dan Bartlett. In other words, the man who appears the be the prime source of so many false and/or incomplete stories, some of which even made it to Breaking News events prior, during and long after the invasion, now decides what news is important for the American General Public to be told about and what is not, when they hear about it and, above all, how they are informed about it.

Falcon84

Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:05 am

That's Bush, so why is it newsworthy? He never goes before anything but a scripted crowed, as he demonstrated during the election last year. It is kinda sad, but President's have been stage-managed from the dawn of mass-media. It's certainly not worthy of such comment.

Quoting Pope (Reply 14):
But it seems that on a fairly regular basis, this administration is being caught manufacturing the news.

The Pentagon and the WH are the best news managers in the world, Pope. It isn't a surprise, and goes all the way back to athe days of FDR. It's really no big deal.

Oh, I forgot, as a loathsome traitor, I'm suppoed to spew forth venom and "vitrol" towards this President towards everything he does!

My bad...
Work Right, Fly Hard

usnseallt82

Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:27 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 18):
Oh, I forgot, as a loathsome traitor, I'm suppoed to spew forth venom and "vitrol" towards this President towards everything he does!

That's right, you worthless piece of shit.  bigthumbsup 

What a horrible traitor you are!  Big grin
Crye me a river

usnseallt82

Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:28 am

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 19):
That's right, you worthless piece of shit.

By the way........how's it going?  Big grin
Crye me a river

Falcon84

Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:43 am

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 19):
That's right, you worthless piece of shit.

What a horrible traitor you are!

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 20):
By the way........how's it going?

ROTFL. I sent a PM to ANCFlyer and told him that exact same thing about me.

Sorry, but I missed the last class of Traitors Against Bush, and must have missed the indoctrination on that one.  Silly

TGIF,man, TGIF. Been a busy week. Thanks for asking.
Work Right, Fly Hard

ltbewr

Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:25 am

It is well documented that many Presidents have manulipated the media for both sound reasons of national interest and for strictly political reasons. With Bush, the 'political reasons' use has reached new heights and worse it that too many in the media have bought his bullstuff so they don't get excluded from access to him. While many soldiers do accept their responsibility, 'follow orders', and feel they are accomplishing something in Iraq, many do question our reason, policy and justification for being there. Some Reserverist and National Guard members have had their family finances ruined, lost marriages, lost jobs, as well as their lives, limbs and health. So what else can you expect except for a somewhat scripted and pre-ordaned teleconference with GWB. At least some in the press is telling the public the truth of GWB and his merry neo-cons.

luv2fly

Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:39 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 12):
Actually, luv, if GWB is standing out in the middle of the woods and says ... uhhh... anything.....Does anybody care any more?

Quoting Pope (Reply 14):
This is really getting scary. I can accept an occassional press mistake or a subordinate screwing up. But it seems that on a fairly regular basis, this administration is being caught manufacturing the news.

Bush is definitely on the ropes.

The only good thing to come out of GWB presidency is the fact that he showed us what Republican really are! And his 2 terms most likely have effectively killed Jeb's chance to run the Country.
You can cut the irony with a knife

dvk

Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:57 am

W should have combined the teleconference with his hard hat and tool belt performance from earlier this week. That was another unnecessary and utterly transparent attempt on his part to pretend he has a clue. He could have saved everyone time by having a single multi-purpose performance. Better yet, he could have skipped both. It's interesting that even George Will, who tends to be anti-everything but in a very conservative manner, has now referred to the Bush administration as "insular","arrogant", and out of touch with the common people.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

jetjack74

Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:00 am

It was billed as a conversation with U.S. troops, but the questionsPresident Bush asked on a teleconference call Thursday were choreographed to match his goals for the war inIraq and Saturday's vote on a new Iraqi constitution.

Staged and phoney. So it's a shock to you that a press conference is planned? Well how does FORGED DOCUMENTS sound to you about fake and staged?
1. How about Bill Clintons moving tribute at the D-Day Anniversary in 1994, when he knelt down on a beach in Normandie where picked up a few rocks, tears steaming down his cheeks, put them in a little pile(on a beach where there were no rocks), with the Navy Warship in the backround.
2. Or when he was walking through the cemetary in France, where the graves each had a little American flags, Bill Clinton, galently walked over to one of the graves and picked that flag, and planted it right-side up, with tears streaming down his cheeks. This from the man who once wrote that he loathed the US Military.
3. When Bill Clinton and madamme Hilary were caught dancing on a beach in the US Virgin Islands, where no music was playing, justromantically dncing on a beach. Strangley, The LA Times knew this was going to happen. When have you ever heard the press sneaking pictures, breaching the security of the President. But it was a moving moment, seeing how this man loved his wife, even before the Monica Lewinsky was 2 weeks from breaking.
Made from jets!

tbar220

Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:10 am

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 15):
hey weren't publicized because they were exactly what you want them to be.....private. You know what he heard? An occasional 'why the hell are we here?' but a strong majority voice of 'we support you, sir, wherever you lead us.'

I really wish it were so. We will never hear private conversations from soldiers who don't want to be in Iraq, or *gasp* even have criticism of the president. Is it honest? No. Is it politics? Yes. Is it propoganda? HELL yea. Propoganda by definition (I'm pretty sure) includes lies or misinformation, and that's what this staged teleconference was.

Jetjack,

I know its hard for you to criticize Bush without criticizing Clinton, but the man hasn't been president for five years now.
NO URLS in signature

SlamClick

Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:23 am

Senator Lyndon Johnson flew to the South Pacific, elbowed his way aboard a bomber going out on a low-level mission against the Japanese. He served no purpose whatever, though it was a courageous act as the plane did get shot up pretty well.

He stepped off that plane right into a Silver Star medal (sound like any Kerrys you know?) and if the pins on the back of the medal had been longer or sharper he'd have gotten a purple heart too.

He wore that medal for the rest of his life. Look at any photo of him when he is wearing a coat and you will see the lapel pin.

Phony!
Useless phony!
Sell-promoting phony!

Bill Clinton was seen almost every night on TV smiling and waving. Guess what - often he was waving to NOBODY. There were no people off in that direction, he was doing it for the cameras.

Reagan probably did the same thing, I just never saw the photos or video showing him making eye contact with an empty lawn like I did with Clinton.

They are all phonies.
Why?
Because you demand it of them. A national political campaign is a big-ticket popularity contest. You wouldn't have it any other way and the only complaint I'm actually seeing here is that it is the other guy who is doing it today.

Of course it is scripted. It is scripted in business and industry too. There is no way a local facility manager is going to let the CEO see or hear anything uncomplimentary to him.

It's the way it is.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

jaysit

Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:37 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 27):
He stepped off that plane right into a Silver Star medal (sound like any Kerrys you know?) and if the pins on the back of the medal had been longer or sharper he'd have gotten a purple heart too.

Drop the slamming of a man who served his country well.
The shameful election is over, and the disgrace you call President won. There is no need for the shameless - you know who you are - to continue to decry a man who did more for his country than you or GWB ever did.

Bill Clinton was seen almost every night on TV smiling and waving. Guess what - often he was waving to NOBODY. There were no people off in that direction, he was doing it for the cameras.

What universe do you live in?
At every Presidential speech, event, ribbon cutting, etc. there is a horde of people present.

You wouldn't have it any other way and the only complaint I'm actually seeing here is that it is the other guy who is doing it today.

This is the same guy who plants phonies in his White House press briefings who throw him softball questions, and who ask questions arranged prior to the briefing by the White House itself. This is the same guy who pays Armstrong Williams $ 350,000 for propagandist newscasts (found to be illegal by the GAO). This is the same guy who has given fewer press interviews than any other President in recent history. This is the same guy who pranced on the deck of an aircraft carrier to the choreographed lie that the war was won. This is the same gutless wonder who is incapable of answering real questions, so he stages this so-called "Question-answer" press interview.

Cling as you may to Clinton's Lewinsky saga (and we know that you will), at least Clinton had the mental firepower to be able to stand before reporters and answer questions. Here, in our great nation of 290 million people, we have this dimwitted charlatan who fakes the most basic discourse he can have with his citizens.

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 25):
Staged and phoney. So it's a shock to you that a press conference is planned?

Give it up.
We do NOT live in North Korea or Iran or Saudi Arabia where the press is bought off to ask questions deemed appropriate by the junta in power.
And spare us the comparison between the Bill-Hillary bogus lovefest on the beach with a FORMAL press conference. The first is the usual rubbish that every White House engages in when it shows the First Couple "oh so in love with each other;" the latter is just pure propaganda on a Constitutional matter as fundamental as free speech, a free press, and Executive power.

rsmith6621a

Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:53 am

Back On topic

This isnt about Clinton,Johnson,Regan,or Carter.

This is a president who refuses to take questions from his oppisition. All of his campaign rallys required that each attendee be pre-screened by the secret service. People who worked on his campaign had to disclose their Soc.Sec#. I worked on the Kerry campaign and never had to give any personal information to have the opportunity to even fold a letter. Upstanding(teachers ect) liberal have been arrested for wearing T-Shirts that are considered inflamatory within block of a bush event........Not one person who attended his 50 city tour event to tout his social security reform package were people who sided in with the oppisition. If you attend his events(photo-ops) you cant ask questions that are contrary to his adgenda to him........This president hate freedom of expression...but more so he hates those who dont agree with him.

I guess he considers having to properly defend his adgenda Hard Werk.

bush is reaping what he has sewed,his poll ratings back this up,the media has finally woke up that they have been strongarmed and used.

This administrations effectivness is all but gone and by the end of the month it may well be on its way out the door completly,mark my word. It is sad that this president has used those who defend his opportunity to lead this country as props.
Did You Ever Think Freedom Could Be this Bad

NWA742

Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:25 am

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

jetjack74

Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:29 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 28):
Give it up.
We do NOT live in North Korea or Iran or Saudi Arabia where the press is bought off to ask questions deemed appropriate by the junta in power.

You give it up. Thanks to Clintons marvelous foreign policy, North Korea was free and clear to pursue the nuclear weapons programme.

The first is the usual rubbish that every White House engages in when it shows the First Couple "oh so in love with each other;" the latter is just pure propaganda on a Constitutional matter as fundamental as free speech, a free press, and Executive power.

and photo-ops to cleanse personal self-image, at the expense of national security

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 26):
I know its hard for you to criticize Bush without criticizing Clinton, but the man hasn't been president for five years now.

TBarr, I know it's hard not criticise Bush when the wind changes direction. Doesn't matter whether he's president or not, he still runs around making critical statements about the current administration, when there is an unspoken rule that former presidents don't criticise current presidents. He puts himself in the spotlight, therefore he's a legitmate target for criticism. Don't like it, jump off a cliff.
Made from jets!

SlamClick

Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:29 am

What universe do you live in?
At every Presidential speech, event, ribbon cutting, etc. there is a horde of people present.

I have seen the unedited footage. Yes there are crowds at such events but sometimes they catch him boarding the helicopter or some such thing and I have seen the camera pull back to show him waving at, and making eye contact with NOBODY. The President does such things, I suppose for the same reason reporters in the field do their lines in any standup several times.

In any photo op the cheapest commodity is the film or video tape. You shoot more than you think you need. It is no criticism of Clinton or Bush that they do these things. It might be a damning of our system but that is how it is.

Yes, he really did stage events. So does the current occupant. So will the next one.

Drop the slamming of a man who served his country well.

Perhaps since entering elected office. Can't say. Haven't paid much attention to his career.

But I'll say it one more time. He, as commanding officer of his boat, put himself in for medals. That makes him a liar and a phony and there is no other way to see it.

He tried to become Lyndon Johnson wearing Bobby Kennedy's hair.

Probably better than Dubya's military service but I just don't like people who are so nakedly self-serving.

P.S. I never said anything about Monica. Take a valium for hell's sake.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

EA CO AS

Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:30 am

While driving in to work today I heard a radio report about this, followed by an interview with one of the soldiers who said (paraphrasing):

We weren't fed lines - we told the President's staff what questions we wanted to ask and then were given time to rehearse them and coached on how to breathe, etc. while in front of the cameras. They didn't want us to freeze up on camera is all.

He actually sounded really pissed that people would think he was coerced into reading a prepared text.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

B744F

Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:48 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 33):
We weren't fed lines - we told the President's staff what questions we wanted to ask and then were given time to rehearse them and coached on how to breathe, etc. while in front of the cameras. They didn't want us to freeze up on camera is all.

Of course, get the questions first so the President is told what to say

EA CO AS

Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:19 am

Quoting B744F (Reply 34):

So now that the "THE QUESTIONS WERE SCRIPTED!!" allegation has been refuted, you'll now grasp at the "HE KNEW HOW TO ANSWER!!" straws?  sarcastic 

Why do you so desperately hope and wish for bad things to be true regarding this President?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

DfwRevolution

Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:33 am

Quoting Rsmith6621a (Reply 29):
This is a president who refuses to take questions from his oppisition.

What are you talking about, he does so on a daily basis. What planet are you on ?

All of his campaign rallys required that each attendee be pre-screened by the secret service. People who worked on his campaign had to disclose their Soc.Sec#.

Hello, it's called security. You have to disclose your SS# if you want to volunteer at an elementary school, of course you can't just waltz up to the President. There have been attempts on the life of this President, and the lives of virtually all other Presidents.

But protecting this President is evidence of a totalitarian regime? I smell personal issues...

Upstanding(teachers ect) liberal have been arrested for wearing T-Shirts that are considered inflamatory within block of a bush event........

Again, there is such a thing as a security perimeter. It's why Cindy Sheean was dragged away from the White House. Would you call that a suppression of free speach or following established procedure for civil disobedience within the perimeter of the White House?

If you attend his events(photo-ops) you cant ask questions that are contrary to his adgenda to him........

You sure can, and no one will shut you up. He just won't answer them.

B744F

Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:37 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 35):
So now that the "THE QUESTIONS WERE SCRIPTED!!" allegation has been refuted, you'll now grasp at the "HE KNEW HOW TO ANSWER!!" straws? sarcastic

Why do you so desperately hope and wish for bad things to be true regarding this President?

I never claimed the questions were scripted in the first place, but that is the next worst thing.

Why? Because he is bankrupting our country to levels Reagan could only dream of. His administration is throwing away Constitutional rights, the poor and middle class continue their downward spiral while the wealthy enjoy bigger tax cuts for doing nothing but sitting on their investments. Yet the Clinton bashing continued nonstop all because he got a BJ... of course, that was justified, and this is just ourageous witch hunting.

Boy sometimes I wonder if right wingers even think

jaysit

Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:57 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 32):
But I'll say it one more time. He, as commanding officer of his boat, put himself in for medals. That makes him a liar and a phony and there is no other way to see it.

Great.
You can take that vitriolic BS to your grave with you. We all know that BS brings the daisies up faster.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 33):

For crying out loud. They told the President's staff prior to the "press conference" what questions they were going to ask? If that isn't a staging, then what is? The questions are vetted prior to an interview (much like say People magazine will submit questions to J.Lo's PR agent and J.Lo will say "Uh-uh, no questions on Ben."), then the President is told exactly what the questions are in order for his staff to then script his answers.

In standard speak this is called "vetting of questions," so that PR staff can approve or disapprove of questions. Foreign leaders with shady dealings engage in this all the time before they field questions from the American press.

What blinkers do you have on?

As for not trusting Bush, he's done this before, where plants in the White House Press corps throw him rhetorical questions on the evil and stupidity of his opposition and then Bush comes up with a rehearsed answer. If only the press had the balls to have gone after the Gannon story whole hog. But at the time they were too busy being sissies, and they realized that they had been softballing questions to Bush all along just to get access to the White House. Those who posed tough questions were denied press access to the WH.

EA CO AS

Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:39 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 38):
As for not trusting Bush, he's done this before, where plants in the White House Press corps throw him rhetorical questions on the evil and stupidity of his opposition and then Bush comes up with a rehearsed answer.

What's more insidious is when supposedly impartial journalists ask slanted questions - or worse, when these same journalists coerce OTHERS to ask them on their behalf, such as the reporter from (I believe) Chattanooga, TN who coached a soldier on what question to ask Secretary Rumsfeld at a "Town Council" meeting with the troops in Kuwait.

jaysit

Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:59 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 39):
What's more insidious is when supposedly impartial journalists ask slanted questions - or worse, when these same journalists coerce OTHERS to ask them on their behalf, such as the reporter from (I believe) Chattanooga, TN who coached a soldier on what question to ask Secretary Rumsfeld at a "Town Council" meeting with the troops in Kuwait.

You're saying that coercion from a random reporter is worse than coercion from the government? The latter has exponentially more power to affect your life than the former ever could, especially if you work for an arm of the government, for example, the military.

AeroWesty

Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:05 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 38):
In standard speak this is called "vetting of questions," so that PR staff can approve or disapprove of questions. Foreign leaders with shady dealings engage in this all the time before they field questions from the American press.

There's the money quote.

It's perfectly acceptable to have someone warm up an audience, have those unfamiliar with the technology, or being on camera the first time, a run through of how things work so they appear comfortable during a live feed.

However, to only field prepared questions and answers does not make for anything other than pure propoganda.
International Homo of Mystery

Gilligan

Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:40 am

This is a president who refuses to take questions from his oppisition. All of his campaign rallys required that each attendee be pre-screened by the secret service. People who worked on his campaign had to disclose their Soc.Sec#. I worked on the Kerry campaign and never had to give any personal information to have the opportunity to even fold a letter. Upstanding(teachers ect) liberal have been arrested for wearing T-Shirts that are considered inflamatory within block of a bush event........Not one person who attended his 50 city tour event to tout his social security reform package were people who sided in with the oppisition. If you attend his events(photo-ops) you cant ask questions that are contrary to his adgenda to him........This president hate freedom of expression...but more so he hates those who dont agree with him.

You think this is the first President or Presidential candidate to do this? How long were you in a coma and welcome back. If he hates freedom of expression so much how come he allowed that idiot Cindy Sheean to set up camp across the road from his ranch?

This administrations effectivness is all but gone and by the end of the month it may well be on its way out the door completly,mark my word. It is sad that this president has used those who defend his opportunity to lead this country as props.

I just set up my computer and cell phone alarm so that on the 1st of November I can start a thread asking why the hell President Bush is still in office, I was assured that he would be on his way out the door by now dammitall!!!!!!!!

Quoting B744F (Reply 34):

According to several interviews with the soldiers involved, they were asked what questions they would like to ask the President and then asked to narrow them down to one. They then worked with people from the adminsitration to make the questions short and to the point. They were also coached on how to talk and ask their question so they could work out the butterflies and such. Not one of them has said they were told what to say other than that. There is nothing wrong with that and they were probably glad to have the help so they didn't come off sounding stupid. Virtually every "town meeting" in the past 20 years has been completely scripted from the people chosen to attend to what questions are asked. The debates too for that matter.

What's really sad and is becoming more and more apparent is that no matter who is elected President, more than likely nearly 50% of the public will just automatically reject him/her outright. We are now a country full of very selfish concieted individuals. It's pretty sad.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

dan-air

Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:43 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 25):
Staged and phoney. So it's a shock to you that a press conference is planned? Well how does FORGED DOCUMENTS sound to you about fake and staged?

But...but...but....Bill Clinton...did....something....fake..I'm not sure what but I'm sure it was fake.

Ha-ha! I'm watching the clip now, I think my favorite bit has to be when our courageous commander-in-chief can't even keep his earpiece in, it falls out and he kicks the podium.

rotfl 

This is the guy that was a jet pilot, right?

rotfl 

SATL382G

Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:02 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 32):
I have seen the unedited footage. Yes there are crowds at such events but sometimes they catch him boarding the helicopter or some such thing and I have seen the camera pull back to show him waving at, and making eye contact with NOBODY. The President does such things, I suppose for the same reason reporters in the field do their lines in any standup several times.

Folks -- I worked the AF1 detail at Andrews for a number of years. It was not unusual for the President (regardless of party affiliation) to wave to a non-existent crowd for the cameras. Presidential comings and goings there were a routine event that few people took notice of. That famous, and often photographed, wave from the top of the staircase truck is very carefully orchestrated.

edit: and when there was a crowd it was usually a politically friendly group that was orchestrated to be at certain place at a certain time. Sometimes though we could let the space-a passengers from the terminal out to the fenceline to wave. The Space-a's, being ex-military, were probably considered low threat.

What is more interesting, and what I cannot discuss, is what happened when the press wasn't around to watch him get on or off the aircraft.

[Edited 2005-10-15 00:08:30]
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

searpqx

Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:43 am

I'm still trying to figure out why this is news. As mentioned, politicians have been staging events since day one, and since the invention of photography, almost every appearance has been staged and managed to one extent or another. This particular president has taken it to a high art, but Reagan, Clinton, et al, were just as guilty. Why is anybody surprised and again, why is this news. Now if he (or any figure in the current government) held an impromptu news conference, and answered all questions, without any prompting or foreknowledge, THAT would be news.

Quoting SATL382G (Reply 44):
What is more interesting, and what I cannot discuss, is what happened when the press wasn't around to watch him get on or off the aircraft.

On those times where Clinton would go to AF1 the night before a trip, I always had an image of him climbing the stairs in his PJs clutching a beat up teddy bear (a la Radar O'Reiley). Big grin
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Boeing7E7

Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:06 am

Bill Clinton's dick is stuck in a hooker... News at 11:00!!!  Yeah sure

Man, you really have to get over yourself. We really don't need a daily story on everything Bush does that you don't agree with. What are you hoping for? Him to leave office? Have some more crack.

Here's a deal. We'll accept the fact you hate Bush and that no matter what he does, you aren't going to like it. In exchange, a.net saves it's bandwidth. Deal?

SATL382G

Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:08 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 45):
On those times where Clinton would go to AF1 the night before a trip, I always had an image of him climbing the stairs in his PJs clutching a beat up teddy bear (a la Radar O'Reiley).

Actually I don't recall Clinton ever sleeping on the jet prior to a departure, though Bush Sr did.

Ixnay on the imagay. If the press wasn't around to do the photo op we didn't use the staircase truck, boarding/deplaning via the lower lobe airstairs instead. Helped maintain the climate in the aircraft that way and we didn't have to fool with the truck.

Teddy bear, no. Flip flops, shorts, and bathrobe y.... well I'll let you decide.
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

searpqx

Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:24 am

Quoting SATL382G (Reply 47):
Teddy bear, no. Flip flops, shorts, and bathrobe y.... well I'll let you decide.

What, you mean the folks that served as PotUS are human? What, no, couldn't be - I read on A.net that they were (insert one) evil incarnate, the the mystical saviour of the free world!
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

SATL382G

Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:38 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 48):
What, you mean the folks that served as PotUS are human?

More than you know.....

Your comparison to Radar was, ah, fairly astute BTW

I need to shut my pie hole now.....