jcs17

Friday Night Rant: US Customs/Border Patrol

Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:17 pm

Yep, my car was officially searched (and we were thorougly questioned) tonight at the border crossing in North Dakota--third time (out of four) being searched at that border crossing. Good job guys, I feel so much safer knowing that white college students (all with student IDs and US passports) coming from the bar just over the border are being so thorougly searched. Its not that I really care that they search my car--they won't find anything, its the "guilty until proven innocent" attitude that the customs officers always have. Every time I have gone to a secondary screening at customs--whether its on the MB/ND border, EWR, or YYZ, the officers are the biggest fucking assholes no matter how polite and willing to answer their questions you are. It was great tonight, I was asked five times if I had anything to drink, "Umm, one beer...I'm sort of driving." By the time I was asked the fifth time, I just replied, "Look, there is the breathalyzer right over there, why don't you test me. Don't try to intimidate me." That shut that piece of shit, federal employee up. I especially liked the question, "Have you ever tried drugs?" Do you really think I will answer that question honestly, dumbshit? Another great question was "Are any of you guys on any sort of medication?" The funniest part of the whole ordeal was that I had a blanket and two pillows in my trunk from a campout a few days earlier, they throughly checked the gas tank with a fiber-optic cable, but the blanket and pillows raised no suspicions. I've realized though, the more pissed off and sarcastic you are, the less they bother you. My buddy made the remark, after being thorougly hassled, "Yeah, we really look like your drug couriers or terrorists, don't we?"

Listen, I'll never talk badly about law enforcement officers, but these guys have a serious case of small dick syndrome and are about as intelligent as the rest of the Dept. of Homeland Security--including the burger-flippers at the X-ray machines. They all act as if you're name is Mohammed traveling on a fake US passport with a few stamps from Afghanistan. They're all looking for that big bust and are just plain assholes in the process. If you want to check my car, fine, but do me a favor, realize that a few college students (studying Aviation!) aren't going to be blurting out some of Al-Qaeda's plans during your pathetic lines of questions.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

theCoz

RE: Friday Night Rant: US Customs/Border Patrol

Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:42 pm

That reminds me of one time I crossed the US/Mex border back into the US with two friends. My friend Iyad (He's Palestinian) was a fellow student at my university. Upon pulling up to the border, the guy asked if we were all US citizens. My friend Kurt, who was driving, just blurted out 'uh, yes' forgetting that Iyad was in the back seat. Iyad was like 'no kurt!'. Anyway, Upon finding out that he wasn't a US citizen, the border agents had kittens. They made us park the car, get out and walk into their building. They took Iyad into a back room and interviewed him, called washington to verify a bunch of info on his passport etc. Meanwhile, my friend Kurt and I had to wait near the front desk. The border agent sitting there was a prick. He told us that we couldn't talk, but we were so busy laughing at how stupid the whole situation was, we couldn't. He had small-dick syndrome too.

Another thing, when they ask you what your citizenship is, it's best not to say 'Yo Quiero Taco Bell' cause they get pissed. I did that once while we were in highschool. We'd go down to Mex to drink at the age of 18. Good times.

senorcarnival

Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:50 pm

I think they just get bored in those small towns... I got hassled like that at a checkpoint near Las Cruces, NM pre-9/11.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

MDorBust

Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:55 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Thread starter):
I've realized though, the more pissed off and sarcastic you are, the less they bother you.

This could actually be the worst policy possible when dealing with LEO's.

Some things you may not believe:
- Being college students actually puts you at a higher suspicion level.
- They very much intentionally ask you the same question multiple times. Not to piss you off, but to trip up actual offenders who may not remember their lies.
- They are scopeing your tank for weed... a common enough item amongst fore-mentioned college students and not exactly a rarity in Canada
- The medication question was for presciption drugs. If you are legitamately on a presciption and you tell them so, that might save your butt from trouble if they had found the pills first and you try to explain just what they are doing there. Illegal transport of prescription drugs is a big market.

If you want to check my car, fine, but do me a favor, realize that a few college students (studying Aviation!) aren't going to be blurting out some of Al-Qaeda's plans during your pathetic lines of questions.

You might be surprised at some of the things that come out of peoples mouths during routine questioning.

...For real fun with border patrol checkpoints... If you ever get stopped at the immigration checkpoint on highway 10 in west Texas.. When the inspecting officer asks if everyone in the vehicle is an American citizes, answer "Si, senor"
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

Basas

Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:00 pm

Yep, my car was officially searched (and we were thorougly questioned) tonight at the border crossing in North Dakota--third time (out of four) being searched at that border crossing. Good job guys, I feel so much safer knowing that white college students (all with student IDs and US passports) coming from the bar just over the border are being so thorougly searched.

I cross that border quite often. We have got our car totally searched once (last year), but most time its those Canadian guards who go through every single one of your shopping bills, adding it all up, and asking seemingly irrelevant questions that get to me.

ANCFlyer

Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:48 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 3):
For real fun with border patrol checkpoints... If you ever get stopped at the immigration checkpoint on highway 10 in west Texas.. When the inspecting officer asks if everyone in the vehicle is an American citizes, answer "Si, senor"

rotfl 

Its not that I really care that they search my car--they won't find anything, its the "guilty until proven innocent" attitude that the customs officers always have.

US Customs is designed that way . . . the ONLY law enforcement entity that does NOT require probably cause or a warrant prior to searching you or your belongings.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

clipperhawaii

Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:31 pm

Sorry but you fit the profile. Profile you ask? Yes, young white college males with disposable income traveling across the border to do excessive and underage drinking and possibly bringing back illegal drugs for recreational use. You are no Mohammed form Afghanistan nor are your Pablo from Mexico but you are a Jonathan from college.

With your young college boy attitude (judged by your post) you got just what you asked for. Are you even 21?

Take my advice and purchase your liquor and good times in the U.S. and leave the international travel for "legitimate" reasons and not cross border partying.
"You Can't Beat The Experience"

mrniji

Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:09 am

My buddy made the remark, after being thorougly hassled, "Yeah, we really look like your drug couriers or terrorists, don't we?"

White, wasted, spoiled, ugly and fat college students, who reinterpret laws in terms of being drunk and stoned, do indeed look suspicious, more suspisious than people "from the other world"..  Wink  sarcastic 
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

AeroWesty

Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:12 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 5):
US Customs is designed that way . . . the ONLY law enforcement entity that does NOT require probably cause or a warrant prior to searching you or your belongings.

I'd never really thought about that, but you're right. I had always assumed that it was that you implied your consent to a search by the mere act of entering the country. If you're not actively crossing the border, does Customs still have that right? Just a curiosity.
International Homo of Mystery

11Bravo

Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:42 am

Quoting Clipperhawaii (Reply 6):
With your young college boy attitude (judged by your post) you got just what you asked for.

I think that's exactly what's going on here; bad attitude. That and the fact that they probably have to deal with a bunch of liquored-up UND students all the time. Wanna be a smarmy little smart-ass, fine, I got somethin’ for ya.
WhaleJets Rule!

Arrow

Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:57 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 8):
If you're not actively crossing the border, does Customs still have that right? Just a curiosity.

Once you've made the approach at the border, you're in their clutches and you can't suddenly change your mind. In fact, you're already in US territory when they stop you for questioning.

This can be a big issue at US immigration posts attached to Canadian airports like Vancouver, Toronto, etc. Canadians think that somehow the US guys have to let them go because technically they're still in Canada. Only difference is the US agents have to involve RCMP if they want to go beyond the hold and deny entry stage, and actually "arrest" you.

But if they snatch you at a land border crossing, the Gitmo express bus is idling somewhere in the back.

My advice is be reasonable and polite no matter how snarly the agent is. They have supreme power over you, and they have been known to use it against people who weren't really doing anything wrong, they just got very mouthy.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

AeroWesty

Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:07 am

Quoting Arrow (Reply 10):
Once you've made the approach at the border, you're in their clutches and you can't suddenly change your mind.

Oh I realize that ... my question really centers on once you've crossed the border and are in the country, does Customs still have the right to search you without probable cause or a warrant, since as ANC said, the laws are designed to make that agency the only one that doesn't require it to proceed.

It's rhetorical really, such as, if I were sitting at a table in a restaurant and there was a Customs agent at the next table, could he legally, without anything other than the desire, search me and my belongings if he wanted to, not that he would.

It's just a general knowledge sort of thing. Where does the authority to search stop?

Curiously, I've never ever been stopped or searched by Customs in any country. The closest I've come was entering the U.S. at Houston, and they sent me over to Agriculture because I'd bought some chocolate at duty-free and when I got there the agent said, "Oh boy, someone must be REALLY bored today."

Falcon84

Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:14 am

I guess Jcs only approves of searches when it involves non-white, non-American "foreigners".

You hypocrite, Jcs.
Work Right, Fly Hard

SlamClick

Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:48 am

My advice is be reasonable and polite no matter how snarly the agent is. They have supreme power over you, and they have been known to use it against people who weren't really doing anything wrong, they just got very mouthy.

Good advice! Remember this, they have a box of rubber gloves and they are also authorized to use them. Cranky over having your car's cavities searched? wideeyed 

its the "guilty until proven innocent" attitude that the customs officers always have

Again, innocent until proven guilty is mostly just part of a jury's instruction. It mostly just applies to criminal matters. Tax code and Federal Aviation Regulation both have you guilty until you can prove your innocence in their court. Anyone who so readily utters "innocent until proven guilty" is living in a legal Disneyland. Most of the world's rules are not like that.

Al Qaeda is not the only thing these guys are looking for, as has been pointed out.
Watch that movie Midnight Express again:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077928/
Most people watch it and say "oh that poor kid, those awful Turks" I think "what a moron - trying to take drugs through customs"
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

mrniji

Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:57 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 12):
I guess Jcs only approves of searches when it involves non-white, non-American "foreigners".

That guy needs to be laid by some hot latino or so...  devil  (he needs to be laid by SOMEONE, regardless of ethnicity, religion, gender...... )
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

ANCFlyer

Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:07 am

If you're not actively crossing the border, does Customs still have that right? Just a curiosity.

If you've actually made it to a Customs Official - as Arrow pointed out - it's rather too late really . . . you're already in the "new" country. Case in point . . . the Alaska Highway crossing at Port Alcan. US Customs is 1/2 mile inside US Territory. Canada Customs however, is 13 miles (+/-) inside Canada in Beaver Creek. The only thing actually at the international border is an obelisk and a Gazebo with the appropriate tourist crap.

I had always assumed that it was that you implied your consent to a search by the mere act of entering the country.

No consent necessary, implied or otherwise actually. If you get there and decline the vehicle or person search, well, it's gonna happen regardless . . . simple as that.

But if they snatch you at a land border crossing, the Gitmo express bus is idling somewhere in the back.

redflag  Dang, your post was making such good sense right up until this part.

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 13):

Good advice! Remember this, they have a box of rubber gloves and they are also authorized to use them. Cranky over having your car's cavities searched?  wideeyed 

Quite correct . . . searches at US border crossings are not limited to external components of the vehicle or the body . . .

Here's some advice . . . don't act like an ass, answer the questions asked, don't complain, act like an adult. I've never had any problems at any border crossings - U.S. or otherwise - and I've had my things searched a time or two - unlike the fucked up useless TSA I find the Customs officials actually do their jobs.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

AeroWesty

Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:17 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 15):
If you've actually made it to a Customs Official - as Arrow pointed out - it's rather too late really . . . you're already in the "new" country. Case in point . . . the Alaska Highway crossing at Port Alcan. US Customs is 1/2 mile inside US Territory. Canada Customs however, is 13 miles (+/-) inside Canada in Beaver Creek.

Right, and that's really my question. Does the right of Customs to search without warrant or probable cause stop once you've made the border crossing, or does it continue inside the country.

It's just a curiosity of the law that I've never thought about before, and was inspired when you said that the laws governing the agency were designed the way they were.

Once you're accepted into the country, passed through immigration and customs, would a Customs officer then need a warrant or probable cause to do a search later after you've been cleared?

MidnightMike

Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:26 am

Yep, my car was officially searched (and we were thorougly questioned) tonight at the border crossing in North Dakota--third time (out of four) being searched at that border crossing. Good job guys, I feel so much safer knowing that white college students (all with student IDs and US passports) coming from the bar just over the border are being so thorougly searched.

Normally, they have a process of checking every 4 cars or every 5 cars....
NO URLS in signature

ANCFlyer

Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:29 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 16):
Does the right of Customs to search without warrant or probable cause stop once you've made the border crossing, or does it continue inside the country.

Once you've cleared Customs and you're on your merry way, they have no further rights (at least in the US) to search you without proper Search and Seizure rules. They have no jurisdiction beyond the borders . . . it is then the pervue of the local constabulary . . .

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 16):
Once you're accepted into the country, passed through immigration and customs, would a Customs officer then need a warrant or probable cause to do a search later after you've been cleared?

Customs would NOT have that duty . . . they could request the local authorities conduct such a search, but the search would be subject to the law - in the U.S. - and therefore probable cause would have to be established.

AeroWesty

Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:36 am

Okay, thanks for the info. It was just a curiosity of how far that aspect of the arm of Customs could reach since they're now under the supervision of the DHS.

SlamClick

Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:37 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 18):
Once you've cleared Customs and you're on your merry way, they have no further rights (at least in the US) to search you without proper Search and Seizure rules. They have no jurisdiction beyond the borders . . .

Makes perfect sense from a chain-of-custody point of view. Once you depart the customs checkpoint, every car, every door, every person you pass is an opportunity for contraband to appear or disappear. Your defense attorney would laugh them out of court.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Arrow

Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:24 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 15):
Dang, your post was making such good sense right up until this part.

Guess I should have put a little happy face after it -- but I hate those things. I wasn't serious.

On the other hand, they do have the power to throw you in the can, and they don't have to tell anyone they did it-- a la the Patriot Act. That's why you're nuts if you mess with them in any way.

CaptOveur

Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:45 am

Quoting Arrow (Reply 21):
they do have the power to throw you in the can, and they don't have to tell anyone they did it-- a la the Patriot Act. That's why you're nuts if you mess with them in any way.

And that is the part of the whole thing that is just plain wrong. Civil Rights are starting to have waaaay too many ifs attached to them.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

jcs17

Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:20 am

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 7):
White, wasted, spoiled, ugly and fat college students, who reinterpret laws in terms of being drunk and stoned, do indeed look suspicious, more suspisious than people "from the other world"..

Ugly? Man, I'm too lazy to find your pictures, but you calling me ugly is like Falcon84 calling a McDonald's burger-flipper unsuccessful and poor.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

ANCFlyer

Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:26 am

On the other hand, they do have the power to throw you in the can, and they don't have to tell anyone they did it-- a la the Patriot Act.

Interestingly enough, Customs and INS (pre 9/11) didn't have to tell anyone about then either . . . .

Guess I should have put a little happy face after it -- but I hate those things. I wasn't serious

No worries . . . it's only that the GitMo thing is a little overused and too often tossed out there when there isn't any other point to be made . . .

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 23):
Ugly?

What? No bitch about White, Wasted, Spoiled and Fat?  rotfl 

Logan22L

Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:35 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 22):
And that is the part of the whole thing that is just plain wrong. Civil Rights are starting to have waaaay too many ifs attached to them.

Good to see you might actually find a liberal point of view to be just. Well, just maybe.

Ugly? Man, I'm too lazy to find your pictures, but you calling me ugly is like Falcon84 calling a McDonald's burger-flipper unsuccessful and poor.

Typical Daddy-rich beat on the poor. I hope your dad disownes you; God I hope for that. Scum.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

Falcon84

Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:54 am

Logan, Jcs is just a bitter young kid. All he knows how to do, vis-a-vis, is attack what I do for a living. He thinks it makes me angry, but it doesn't. I like what I do; I enjoy what I do; I like the people I work with. I make a pretty good living at what I do. But he likes to belittle it.

I think it's insecurity for other things, but that's ok.

What we have here is a spoiled young kid, who doesn't have any problem with American authorities searching, stripping, belittling, or giving a hard time to non-whites, or to foreigners, but, for some reason, if it's done to him, a white American male, he gets all indignant.

I should remind this young arrogant kid that in the not-too-distant past, a young man who shares many of Jcs's political views, and was supposedly an upstanding white American male, pulled off one of the most horrific terrorist acts in American history.

Maybe we need MORE young, white, conservative Americans to be checked out, perhaps?  stirthepot 
Work Right, Fly Hard

jaysit

Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:19 pm

Last week Congress declared Hostess Twinkies bought from Canada to be illegal as they are depressing the prices of Hostess Twinkies in the United States. Maybe they took one look at you and your friends and concluded that you were major Hostess Twinkies abusers who were crossing the border to stockpile twinkies for your sugar highs.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

ANCFlyer

Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:25 pm

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 27):
Last week Congress declared Hostess Twinkies bought from Canada to be illegal as they are depressing the prices of Hostess Twinkies in the United States. Maybe they took one look at you and your friends and concluded that you were major Hostess Twinkies abusers who were crossing the border to stockpile twinkies for your sugar highs.

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

Excellent.

Arrow

Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:15 pm

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 27):
Last week Congress declared Hostess Twinkies bought from Canada to be illegal as they are depressing the prices of Hostess Twinkies in the United States.

Were they mad hostess twinkies?

Falcon84

Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:17 pm

Quoting Arrow (Reply 29):
Were they mad hostess twinkies?

Maybe they had that new viral strain "Twinkie Flu"  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

CaptOveur

Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:50 pm

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 25):
Good to see you might actually find a liberal point of view to be just. Well, just maybe.

I was never totally opposed to the social liberal point of view, in fact, that is how I see things.. I just could not bring myself to vote for the last couple clowns they ran for any kind of office.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

Molykote

Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:38 pm

Try explaining to US customs that you made a 4,000 mile round trip to party in SXM for one night.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

mrniji

Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:46 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 24):
Ugly?

What? No bitch about White, Wasted, Spoiled and Fat?

rotfl  Big grin ... moreover: White, wasted, spoiled and fat basically = ugly! Thanks for finally conceading..

Btw, people who are not even able to see their own balls are ugly..  devil 

LH423

Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:08 pm

Well, I didn't think it would work but I think their "sensitivity training" has helped a bit. I've found that officers are less intrusive than before. I remember crossing the border at Philipsburg, QC/Highgate Ctr, VT and the officer was asking us EVERYTHING from where we were, where we stayed, how we knew each other (I didn't think it appropriate to say that one of them I knew...biblically), even asked what we did in Montréal...it was at that point the guy tried to be human and ask in a way like "so you were just in Montréal hanging out going to bars?" and my friend under his breath was like "he thinks we went to the titty bars". It was at that point we just lost it and started laughing  Smile

He let us go after that. hehe

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry