swisskloten

Why Drive On The Left?

Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:09 am

British A.netters, I always wondered, how did your country wind up driving on the left? I've never found a satisfactory history about this custom. I did come across an old book that tried to explain it but I have trouble believing it since it sounds a bit silly. The book claims: Long ago, the coach drivers in Britain couldn't crack a whip sitting on the left side because almost all of them were right handed. Therefore, they switched to the left so they would be sitting on the right. This prevented the driver from hitting the whip on the seats.
Is this true? Sounds made up to me but again, I couldn't find anything to back this up.

Another "explanation" I found in another book: it was supposed to make it hard to shoot someone from a moving vehicle. The book claims most people are right handed. Therefore, they will risk damaging their car since they have to shoot across the passenger side if they want to hit someone standing on the sidewalk. This doesn't make sense. Just hire someone to "ride shotgun." Ironically, the term "to ride shotgun" refers back to stage coaches when it was so dangerous out in the countryside that coach drivers often hired an armed guard to sit on the left seat. Again, I don't believe this explanation either. If the killer was LEFT handed, he/she could just make a U-turn, pop a shot and take off. I don't see how driving on the left will stop drive-by shootings like the book claimed.

David L

RE: Why Drive On The Left?

Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:16 am

Quoting Swisskloten (Thread starter):
since they have to shoot across the passenger side if they want to hit someone standing on the sidewalk.

Whichever side you drive on, the driver is on the side furthest from the nearest pavement/sidewalk.

Why drive on the right?  Smile

andz

Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:26 am

Not just the UK but many countries drive on the left:

Anguilla
Antigua & Barbuda
Australia
Bahamas
Bangladesh
Barbados
Bermuda
Bhutan
Botswana
British Virgin Islands
Brunei
Cayman Islands
Channel Islands
Cyprus
Dominica
Eire-Ireland
Falkland Islands
Fiji
Grenada
Guyana
Hong Kong
India
Indonesia
Jamaica
Japan
Kenya
Lesotho
Macau
Malawi
Malaysia
Malta
Mauritius
Montserrat
Mozambique
Namibia
Nepal
New Zealand
Pakistan
Papua New Guinea
Seychelles
Singapore
Solomon Islands
South Africa
Sri Lanka
St Kitts & Nevis
St. Helena
St. Lucia
Surinam
Swaziland
Tanzania
Thailand
Tonga
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos Islands
Uganda
US Virgin Islands
Zambia
Zimbabwe
St. Vincent & Grenadines
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

SlamClick

Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:26 am

The whip-cracking explanation sounds a lot more credible than the shooting-out-the-window one. Honestly, how often did that happen back in the teens and twenties? In fact, horseless carriages in both the UK and US might have had the driver position on either side, even on centerline or in the back seat. It did not standardize for a few years. I think one might argue that the steering wheel position was well-standardized before auto bodies were enclosed. Most of the early ones were open.

There were still a lot of wagons around town when I was a kid, though I only remember seeing ranchers use them occasionally. (trained draft horses were probably dying off by then) They all had the driver position on the right, and there was a footbrake for the rear wheels mounted on that side. I remember so many of the seats were rumpsprung and sagged on the right.

I don't think any nation saw the advent of the automobile as an opportunity to reinvent their traffic systems. They just adapted to existing conventions. Rather like "standard gauge" railroad being 5' 8.5" carrying over from axle widths used as far back as Roman times, being dictated by the width of a span of horses or oxen.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

11Bravo

Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:28 am

Quoting David L (Reply 1):
Why drive on the right?

...because the Brits drive on the left.

Signed,

Everyone Else
WhaleJets Rule!

andz

Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:34 am

One of the Scandinavian countries used to drive on the left and switched to the right in 1967 I think, don't remember which country though.

whitehatter

Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:44 am

The British drive on the left to enable the sword arm to be kept free.

Handy should you have the urge to joust in your Rover Metro. But if you are left handed then sorry....

There are also superstitious and religious reasons for it, as passing someone to the left is deemed to be insulting. One of which is that the left hand of God indicates where the damned should stand on Judgment Day.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

David L

Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:01 am

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 4):
...because the Brits drive on the left.

Signed,

Everyone Else

Having partaken in the ongoing September 11th discussion, I have learned a trick or two from certain fellow a.netters: everyone else is wrong!

As SlamClick says, it's just the way it happened and there's no point in changing it (although I'm sure the EU is working on it).

MidnightMike

Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:06 am

Quoting David L (Reply 7):
As SlamClick says, it's just the way it happened and there's no point in changing it (although I'm sure the EU is working on it).

Don't worry, after you change from the Pound to the Euro, the EU will start to work you over so that you will change & drive on the right, if not, you will be considered an anti-EU country.  Smile
NO URLS in signature

Braybuddy

Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:38 am

Quoting MidnightMike (Reply 8):
Don't worry, after you change from the Pound to the Euro, the EU will start to work you over so that you will change & drive on the right, if not, you will be considered an anti-EU country.

I know your reply is tongue-in-cheek, but funnily enough that's one thing the EU doesn't seem to be concerned about. I have never even heard a rumour (such as straight bananas) that the EU want us to change. It's too costly (all traffic lights and buses would need to be changed, among other things) and there would be huge resistance to it.

David L

Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:48 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 9):
funnily enough that's one thing the EU doesn't seem to be concerned about

I was taking the wotsit.  Smile

Don't worry, after you change from the Pound to the Euro, the EU will start to work you over so that you will change & drive on the right

If that happens, I shall be changing from the Pound to the Dollar, be it US or Australian. I will then be able to choose whether to drive on the left or right (not every day, obviously - I'd have to stick to the side appropriate to the country I chose).  Smile

if not, you will be considered an anti-EU country.

Who? Us? Never!  Smile

Ljungdahl

Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:51 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 5):
One of the Scandinavian countries used to drive on the left and switched to the right in 1967 I think, don't remember which country though.

That's correct mate, Sweden is the country, and the switch took place on September 3rd, 1967.

Smile
/Johan

SlamClick

Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:53 am

On a related note: All the TV programs I've watched about the digging of the Chunnel skipped right over the traffic issue. Where and how does one change from left to right or vice versa?

I guess it would be routine at the ferry landings, since all cars are leaving the ferry at once, then all cars board it, that would be the crossover point, but how about the Chunnel?
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

AeroWesty

Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:55 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 5):

It was Sweden, which interestingly enough, drove on the left with left-hand-drive cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rules_of_the_road#Sweden

This article also states that the reason driving on the left came about was because it was natural to hold a horse's head with the right hand and walk to its left.
International Homo of Mystery

Braybuddy

Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:55 am

Quoting David L (Reply 10):
I was taking the wotsit.

No shit.

Actually Ireland WILL be changing from left to right, starting with buses in 2006, lorries 2007 and cars 2008.

lewis

Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:00 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 12):
On a related note: All the TV programs I've watched about the digging of the Chunnel skipped right over the traffic issue. Where and how does one change from left to right or vice versa?

When the cars leave the train, they go to the right lane. As far as I know only trains go through the channel tunnel and cars are loaded on train wagons for the trip across.

David L

Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:00 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 14):
No shit.

Fair enough. I just didn't expect the contradiction  Smile

Actually Ireland WILL be changing from left to right, starting with buses in 2006, lorries 2007 and cars 2008

NIce one  Smile. I'm sure Edinburgh's transport officials could come up with something like that - I'm not joking about that one.  Sad

oldeuropean

Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:52 am

Don't worry, after you change from the Pound to the Euro, the EU will start to work you over so that you will change & drive on the right, if not, you will be considered an anti-EU country.

Quoting David L (Reply 7):

Yeah, these evil EU countries.
I`ve heart they want to prohibit the English language!

Axel  Yeah sure
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

David L

Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:27 am

Quoting Oldeuropean (Reply 17):
I`ve heart they want to prohibit the English language!

Axel   

Here we go again. I guess I should have added the biggest smiley I could find.   

Actually, now that I think about it, that "sarcastic" icon looks more like a "for goodness' sake" icon.

[Edited 2005-10-15 21:30:47]

noelg

Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:55 am

It's not us that are odd - it's everybody else who's the wrong way round!

You wouldn't believe how difficult it is crossing the road every time you go to a foreign country - you'd think I'd learn but I still end up looking the wrong way!  Smile

We went to Malaysia who drive on the left, and it was really wierd stepping off a 13 hour flight to find people still drive on the left!

Noel.

captaink

Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:06 am

Driving on the left with right hand drive vehicles are very handy when coming up onto a roundabout. The rule is give way to traffic on the right. If you have a left hand drive vehicle it is really difficult to see the traffic on the right. I don't think you guys have many roundabouts in the US do you?
There is something special about planes....

RobertNL070

Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:16 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 20):
If you have a left hand drive vehicle it is really difficult to see the traffic on the right.

I regularly drive in the UK in my LHD Peugeot without any problems. Its just a question of being able to 'read' the road ahead, which every driver should be able to do whether driving on the 'wrong' side of the road or not.

Regards, Robert  bouncy 
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

David L

Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:06 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 20):
If you have a left hand drive vehicle it is really difficult to see the traffic on the right. I don't think you guys have many roundabouts in the US do you?

There was a discussion about this in Tech/Ops (don't ask). Aircraft Edge Of Wing Lights (by Jetset7E7 Jul 14 2005 in Tech Ops)

In countries where they drive on the right with left-hand drive cars, you still give way to traffic already on the roundabout, which travels anti-clockwise. There are/have been some exceptions which were discussed near the end of the thread.

HT

Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:43 am

Some years ago I my LHD-car to the U.K. by ferry. I didn´t have any problems driving it on the left side of the road. Since then I´ve logged 20.000+ km in England and Scotland using my own car as well as RHD-rental car with automatic and manual shifting. Those km´s have been on all kinds of roads: from motorways to single-track roads. From inside London to rural Scotland.

The only problem with a LHD-car in the U.K. in encountered: If you´re aöone in your car, it´s difficult to operate those machines located to the right of your car when entering/exiting a car park. Add to that: Toll booths. Most times I use the truck lane and get ot of my car  Smile
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

mdsh00

Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:33 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 2):

And theres something very similar to many of those countries, being former colonies of Great Britain.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Banco

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:19 am

Everyone "drove" on the left in the centuries before mechanised transport.

It was Napoleon who made the change to driving on the right, and he enforced that change across a continental Europe under French domination. There was no pressing reason to change back after the end of those wars - keeping a sword hand free not being of the highest priority, and it continued up to this day.

The British didn't change because they were never occupied by France. The US chose to drive on the right to ensure a differentiation from the British in those early days of independence.

The point being, if you continentals hadn't been so inept as to be continually duffed up by the French, you'd still be driving on the left.  Wink
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

swisskloten

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:26 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 25):
The British didn't change because they were never occupied by France. The US chose to drive on the right to ensure a differentiation from the British in those early days of independence.

The point being, if you continentals hadn't been so inept as to be continually duffed up by the French, you'd still be driving on the left

Uh oh, is an English/French war going to erupt on this forum soon?  duck 

Banco

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:32 am

Quoting Swisskloten (Reply 26):
Uh oh, is an English/French war going to erupt on this forum soon?

Erupt? As in start? Where have you been for the last thousand years? Big grin
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

B707321C

Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:31 am

To me it doesn't really matter. I recently moved to the UK and have gotten used to driving on the "wrong" side. What I can't get used to, is to drink my morning coffee with my left hand. (cupholder still in the middle). This should be reason enough for the UK to change.

geoffm

Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:01 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 12):

I guess it would be routine at the ferry landings, since all cars are leaving the ferry at once, then all cars board it, that would be the crossover point, but how about the Chunnel?

As somebody else pointed out, you can't drive through the tunnel. However, trains going through the tunnel use the left hand track - as indeed they do in France for TGVs. Yes, that means that French TGVs travel on the left, while standard French trains travel on the right...

Between Belgium and Germany there is a tunnel under the border. Right after that, on the Belgium side, the two tracks cross over each other, with the westbound track on a flyover.

Geoff M.

Edit: removed incorrect fact. Could have sworn it was true...

[Edited 2005-10-17 19:06:06]

andz

Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:08 am

While the discussion is deviating from roads to trains and other things, I always wondered why the signs on the escalators in the London Underground say stand right walk left, I would have thought it would be the other way round (like the roads, keep left pass right).

scbriml

Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:34 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 30):
While the discussion is deviating from roads to trains and other things, I always wondered why the signs on the escalators in the London Underground say stand right walk left, I would have thought it would be the other way round (like the roads, keep left pass right).

We just do it to confuse and annoy foreigners!  yes 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

777DadandJr

Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:52 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 2):

Curious that almost 70% of the list in reply 2, are islands, or island nations.

Any correlation?

Russ
My glass is neither 1/2 empty nor 1/2 full, rather, the glass itself is twice as big as it should be.

BigOrange

Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:13 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 30):

Not a clue why, but just a suggestion, the reason it's that way is the left side is the side that keeps moving, while the right side is static  Wink

jush

Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:44 am

Quoting NoelG (Reply 19):
You wouldn't believe how difficult it is crossing the road every time you go to a foreign country - you'd think I'd learn but I still end up looking the wrong way!

Believe me mate i almost died when i lived in your country. But eventually i got used to it and now i can do it both.
I see no problem. U drive left and i right. So what.
And i still like the pound. Please do never change to the Euro. Good idea it was but it didn't end up very good, did it?
Stay as you are in England i enjoyed living there.

Regards
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

andz

Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:01 am

Quoting 777DadandJr (Reply 32):

Any correlation?

Interesting observation, the link to the UK might be more plausible, although where Japan fits in is beyond me.

PA110

Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:02 am

Actually Ireland WILL be changing from left to right, starting with buses in 2006, lorries 2007 and cars 2008.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

CVG777

Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:31 am

That made my day.  Big grin  rotfl 

Braybuddy

Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:19 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 30):
always wondered why the signs on the escalators in the London Underground say stand right walk left, I would have thought it would be the other way round (like the roads, keep left pass right).

It's the same as driving on the road: ie moving on the left.

Quoting Jush (Reply 34):
Please do never change to the Euro. Good idea it was but it didn't end up very good, did it?

Pray tell?

geoffm

Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:09 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 38):
Quoting Jush (Reply 34):
Please do never change to the Euro. Good idea it was but it didn't end up very good, did it?

Pray tell?

Prices went up, plus the exchange rate went down (roughly 1.8 initially, down to 1.4 currently against the GBP).

Geoff M.

ltbewr

Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:20 pm

Besides ex-UK empire countries, Japan is a RHD country. Probably due to the early imports of British RHD cars, later making British cars under license.
Why does the UK and their ex-empire countries drive on the left? Probably to drive the rest of the world buggers  biggrin 

geoffm

Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:40 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 40):
Why does the UK and their ex-empire countries drive on the left? Probably to drive the rest of the world buggers

More to the point, why did the US decide on the right 36 years after the British decided on the left? To be different?

Geoff M.

jush

Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:02 pm

Pray tell?

Could you explain that. Have lived in the UK but i don't understand that.
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

geoffm

Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:44 pm

Quoting Jush (Reply 42):
Pray tell?

Could you explain that. Have lived in the UK but i don't understand that.

He means "tell me more" or "tell me why". He's suggesting you might know something he doesn't, and therefore he'd like to know.

Geoff M.

Braybuddy

Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:21 am

Quoting Geoffm (Reply 43):
He means "tell me more" or "tell me why". He's suggesting you might know something he doesn't, and therefore he'd like to know.

Yes, Geoffm is right. I'm curious as to why you think the changeover to the euro didn't end up very good. Sorry for not making myself clearer to someone who's first language isn't English.

Quoting Geoffm (Reply 39):
Prices went up, plus the exchange rate went down (roughly 1.8 initially, down to 1.4 currently against the GBP).

That's probably more to do with sterling going up than the euro going down. When it was introduced the dollar was $1.17 to the euro. Sure it went down, but then back up, right up to over $1.30. It's been around $1.20 for a while now, almost back to where it started.

Sure prices went up, but only marginally. Nobody went bust. It was a small price to pay and nobody even thinks of that now. It wasn't nearly as bad as decimalisation in the early 70s, which was soon followed by rapid inflation due to the first oil crisis. Everybody wrongly blamed decimalisation on that.

[Edited 2005-10-19 01:43:55]

bhmbaglock

Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:37 pm

Quoting 777DadandJr (Reply 32):

Any correlation?

British Navy maybe?

The story I've heard regarding the reason for driving on the left is that when riding horses it allowed two travelers going in opposite directions to shake their right hands easily when passing.

Does Australia still require placarding of LHD vehicles? Some of my friends there were shocked when I informed them that RHD vehicles in the US did not have a similar requirement.

For some reason, the only problem I have with driving on the left side is forks in the road. For some reason these mess with my mind more than any other road feature including rotaries.
Where are all of my respected members going?

geoffm

Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:08 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 44):
That's probably more to do with sterling going up than the euro going down. When it was introduced the dollar was $1.17 to the euro. Sure it went down, but then back up, right up to over $1.30. It's been around $1.20 for a while now, almost back to where it started.

Ok, but the American Dollar went from 1.4 to 1.8 in the same timeframe - so the value of Sterling didn't go up against the dollar; it was only against the Euro. It was quite amusing over the course of two years to see the two currencies swap places!

Geoff M.

B707321C

Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:02 pm

Quoting Jush (Reply 34):
And i still like the pound. Please do never change to the Euro. Good idea it was but it didn't end up very good, did it?

I don’t think anyone can say yet if the introduction of Euro has been successful or not. And you can’t tell from the currency movements. if the Euro has been a success or not. The increase in EURO value recently has more to do with weakening of US dollar, than anything else. It is know that the most important reason for this is that Asian central banks shifting currency reserves away from US dollar and buying other currencies instead. This is the side effect of US ever growing negative trade balance and first signs of problems to finance it.

By creating a common currency like EURO, each country basically are giving up one of its most important policy tool; Monetary policy. One currency means one interest rate etc. UK didn’t want to give up this control. UK has also have a problem with negative trade balance, low export to Europe and a quality image problem. Controlling the sterling can therefore compensate for these problems.

A weak currency is good for export, bad for inflations and visa-a-versa.

However, how did a discussion about the UK driving on the left end up by a currency discussion anyhow? Same thing, unwillingness to change to a new environment.

Braybuddy

Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:16 pm

Quoting Geoffm (Reply 46):
Ok, but the American Dollar went from 1.4 to 1.8 in the same timeframe - so the value of Sterling didn't go up against the dollar; it was only against the Euro

You're probably right, but the exchange rate hasn't made any noticeable difference to the money in our pockets. If it did it was minisucle, and quite probably could have been worse if countries had been operating individual currencies. That's the nature of the currency markets, sometimes a currency goes up, sometimes it goes down.

Quoting B707321C (Reply 47):
One currency means one interest rate etc. UK didn’t want to give up this control. UK has also have a problem with negative trade balance, low export to Europe and a quality image problem

We were in the same situation from 1928 to 1979 when our currency was pegged to sterling, again some times it suited us, some times it didn't, but we didn't go bankrupt: it could have been disastrous for us in 1967 when the UK devalued the pound. If we had refused to follow our economy would have probably gone down the tubes.

When our currency floated independently in 1979 we had to peg our interest rates a point or more higher than the UK to stop money fleeing the country. That was the beginning of a ten-year recession.

jush

Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:48 pm

Well the problem in Germany (and for example in the Netherlands as well) the exchange course from Deutschmark to Euro (or Gilds to Euro) meant that everything looked half price cause approx. 1,95583 DM were 1 €.
So the business used this deception to almost double prices.
It's really deceptive.
AFAIK in some EU countries which introduced the Euro the forbid by law to change prices in the first period. But i think this was hard to control.
So that wasn't a good start for the Euro cause average joe's started to hate the Euro for that price doubling. (Don't forget that wages were converted correctly with the rate given.)
In the UK however this wouldn't be a problem at all cause everything would seem more expensive. So no prob for you.

Besides, must be a hell of a fun in Italy. After 1 Zillion Trillion Billion Lira is one € or so ;D

Regards
jush