Logan22L
Topic Author

Wine And Cheese

Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:33 am

As much as I enjoy a cold beer or 12 with a burger ( Wink), I am currently enjoying some St Felicien cheese on a baguette with a nice bottle of Rodney Strong Merlot.

St Felicien is is lightly-rinded somewhat stinky soft cheese that doesn't taste all that bad on its own (that's a subjective topic, though), but paired with the correct wine, it explodes. Both the wine and the cheese taste so much different when taken together. yummy 

So, who else has a refined palate for this kinda stuff?

I am fortunate to live a mere stone's throw from one of the best wine and cheese stores in the US: The Wine & Cheese Cask. I figure, if I eat all this cheese, I can justify the need to drink as much red wine as I do.  tongue 

BTW, the "similar thread" option is truly idiotic. Here's what I got with this one:

Why Xx.co.uk And Not Xx.uk? by RootsAir 2005-10-01 21:50:45
Chicago Is The Best City Ever, And This Is Why.... by PITA333 2005-09-26 23:43:35
Present And History's Most Famous Homos? by ConcordeBoy 2005-10-05 06:41:00
Christianity And Sexuality by Seb146 2005-10-12 21:52:58
Fraud And Mistakes Cost UK £3 Billion /year by Saintsman 2005-10-11 09:25:04
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

AeroWesty

RE: Wine And Cheese

Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:35 am

What? No duck and pistachio pate to go with it? Heathen.  Wink
International Homo of Mystery

Logan22L
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:55 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 1):
No duck and pistachio pate to go with it?

Sounds good. Duck is my favorite dead animal.

whitehatter

Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:56 am

Quoting Logan22L (Thread starter):
paired with the correct wine, it explodes

I find curry and bran flakes has the same effect on me...
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

RobertNL070

Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:58 am

Quoting Logan22L (Thread starter):
stinky

'Aromatic' is the word  biggrin 

Regards, Robert  bouncy 
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

Logan22L
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:19 am

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 4):
'Aromatic' is the word

OK, it's VERY aromatic, or somewhat stinky.

aloges

Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:25 am

You could also try and combine some bitter chocolate with red wine. It would have to be decent bitter chocolate, of course.

Myself, I prefer white wine, and if I eat cheese with anything but bread, it's Tomme de Savoie with some blueberry jam.  yummy 
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

TPAnx

Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:29 am

Uh..ever been near any of the cheese shops at CDC? I love cheese..but it smelled as if something very big had died..."stinky" can apply  yuck 
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

IHadAPheo

Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:40 am

After a hard day of neonate wrangling nothing is nicer than bit of Clarendon Hills 2003 Brookman Vineyard Syrah along with some Easy Cheese (American) and crackers

IHAP
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

SlamClick

Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:56 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 6):
You could also try and combine some bitter chocolate with red wine. It would have to be decent bitter chocolate, of course.

And decent red wine as well for best effect. Your ol' grocery-store Merlot or Zinfandel is just not going anywhere. I like it with a Charbono or Malbec or something fuerte like that.

I would live midway between the cheese counters at Fortnum & Mason and the wine regions of northern California but I buy more wine than cheese so I favor that end of the commute.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

CaptOveur

Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:02 am

I appreciate a good cheese as much as anyone, I am fond of most goat varieties (Insert Gkirk joke). As the Bleu stuff goes a good gorgonzola works any day. I can handle Brie but I think the way some people treat it as the epitome of fine cheese is wrong. However, if you are going to go brie, go runny.

I am going to start a flamewar on wine here.

A $15/a bottle wine tastes about as good as an $150 bottle of wine, I have had both and I couldn't really tell the difference. If anything, I liked the cheaper one more. In fact, I rarely buy wine over $10 per bottle.

I won't go as low as the crap in the box though.. That is as strange as mixing perfectly good vodka with Tang.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

aloges

Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:05 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 9):
And decent red wine as well for best effect.

I thought that was a matter of course?  Silly
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

ANCFlyer

Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:13 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 10):
A $15/a bottle wine tastes about as good as an $150 bottle of wine, I have had both and I couldn't really tell the difference. If anything, I liked the cheaper one more. In fact, I rarely buy wine over $10 per bottle.

I agree completely. I don't buy the wine because the cost "says" taste. Some of the best Pinot Noirs I've ever had came out of the Willamette River Valley in Oregon. And they were about $15 a bottle at the vineyard.

There's an excellent vineyard - Mastantuano Wineries - in Atascadero, CA that has an excellent Cabernet for under $10 a bottle. The Muscat Canelli there is a triple gold winner.

Cheese paired with the right wine can't be beat. While I'm sure my palate isn't as refined as Mr. Logan's  silly  I appreciate a good red wine with a cheese or a nice chocolate. IMO, a less than quality wine will obviously ruin the experience. Best to choose carefully.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

babybus

Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:28 am

I don't understand why more people don't have cheese and wine parties?

Most people like wine and the cheese with fruit and pickles is very filling and really delicious. Even beer and some cheeses go together.

In the UK people associate cheese and wine parties with school parents meetings. It doesn't have to be like that. It can be quite funky and gives the guests lots to talk about.

I'm not into stinky cheeses though.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

SlamClick

Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:33 am

For those with a taste for such, Navarro Vinyards in Anderson Valley California produces some excellent sweet whites and once every three or four years a Late-Harvest Reisling that is like Baskin & Robbins 32nd flavor if only they knew it. Wonderful stuff! Do they have botryitis in northern California?
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Logan22L
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:47 am

Quoting Ihadapheo (Reply 8):
After a hard day of neonate wrangling nothing is nicer than bit of Clarendon Hills 2003 Brookman Vineyard Syrah along with some Easy Cheese (American) and crackers

Is EasyCheese one of these "silly string" cans or what?  Wink

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 9):
And decent red wine as well for best effect. Your ol' grocery-store Merlot or Zinfandel is just not going anywhere. I like it with a Charbono or Malbec or something fuerte like that.

Just when I want to bash you, you show a nice degree of refinement. Bloody conservatives.  Wink

I appreciate a good cheese as much as anyone, I am fond of most goat varieties (Insert Gkirk joke). As the Bleu stuff goes a good gorgonzola works any day. I can handle Brie but I think the way some people treat it as the epitome of fine cheese is wrong. However, if you are going to go brie, go runny.

I agree, I like my cheese like I like my women: runny. Gorganzola rocks. Fold it into pasta, baby spinach, garlic, onions and mushrooms, and everybody gets laid!

I am going to start a flamewar on wine here.

Close, Capt. I agree that some $100 bottles are only marginally better than some $20 bottles. I typically drink a $10/1.5 liter Shiraz on my "day-to-day" schedule. However, I have a bottle of Chateauneuf-de-Pape, Cuvee du Vatican, 2003 that cost $30 and was HIGHLY recommended to me. The next slinky biatch that looks at me sideways is gonna get half of it and all of me.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 12):
Cheese paired with the right wine can't be beat. While I'm sure my palate isn't as refined as Mr. Logan's

Pep, your palate isn't as refined as Deputy Dawg's.  Wink

UTA_flyinghigh

Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:05 pm

A $15/a bottle wine tastes about as good as an $150 bottle of wine, I have had both and I couldn't really tell the difference.

Bwahahahaha ! No offense but most French people (like me) can.
On the other hand I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a nasty bourbon and vintage stuff so let's put that down to cultural differences.

back to topic, be sure to check out St Agur blue cheese with a nicey Medoc  Smile Mmmmmmm !

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

NUAir

Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:59 pm

My cheese is orange and my wine comes out of a box  Smile

- My family in Wisconsin

Actually, the worlds greatest and my favorite comes from the great monks of Roquefort, France.

With a good bottle of Zin and some olives I couldn't be closer to heaven.
"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet