MFEFlyer
Topic Author

Best City In Texas

Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:26 am

Hey guys I just wanted to know what's the best city in Texas.......

Mine of course is my home city: McAllen
Valley Approach.....

Falcon84

RE: Best City In Texas

Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:42 am

Isn't that, like, an oxymoron?  Wink
Work Right, Fly Hard

HAJFlyer

Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:44 am

Best small city

Rockport/Fulton: Great location, fantastic beaches (mustang island, padre island), great food, big enough to have the necessary infrastructure, small enough to have lots of character.

Best medium size city

Austin: Nice location at the eastern edge of the hill country, fairly liberal crowd (by TX standards anyway)

Best large city

Houston: Great skyline, great cultural offerings, great airport (this is a.net after all), great shopping, good hotels (love the Hilton Americas) multicultural society in part thanks to being the energy capital of the world.

MFeFlyer, I haven't yet been to the RGV, so I cannot judge McAllen

[Edited 2005-10-17 23:56:50]

searpqx

Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:46 am

Austin followed by Houston. Ft Worth has got some interesting aspects to it, and for a city it's size, the museums are great, but beyond that, you can have the rest of the metroplex.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

HAJFlyer

Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:47 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 1):
Isn't that, like, an oxymoron?

Well if I had to chose between a winter on south padre island and a winter in Cleveland, I would not have to think very long.

Wink

Falcon84

Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:51 am

Quoting HAJFlyer (Reply 4):
Well if I had to chose between a winter on south padre island and a winter in Cleveland, I would not have to think very long.

Freedom is beautiful, ain't it?

I'll take the North Coast, my friend.  Smile
Work Right, Fly Hard

MFEFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:55 am

Quoting HAJFlyer (Reply 2):
MFeFlyer, I haven't yet been to the RGV, so I cannot judge McAllen

You'll like it, especially if you like to shop alot.

McAllen: only 10 miles away from Mexico, great shoppping centers and mall.
It's a great place to enjoy yourself.
McAllen has all the amenities that a large city has but in a smaller scale.
Valley Approach.....

jetBlue

Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:55 am

I'll vote for the entire Dallas/Fort Worth area. There is much to do, great places to eat, a wonderful A'Airport  Smile and it's finally my current residence again.

jetBlue
We know for you it's not just a seat on a flight to a place. It's a seat on a flight to your life.

AGM114L

Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:56 am

Killeen.
Just kidding. Someone please get me out of here.  worried 

I like Austin alot, Dallas too.
My Boeing can blow up your Boeing

NUAir

Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:57 am

Paris,

I like the idea of a bunch of Texas conservatives living in a city named after the capital of France.

I'm surprised they didn't re-name it during the "freedom fries" phase...
"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet

HAJFlyer

Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:59 am

Quoting AGM114L (Reply 8):
Someone please get me out of here

What is so bad about Killeen except the fact that there are probably hardly any civilians around ?  Wink

runway23

Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:58 am

From my (limited) experience of going through Texas, Houston is the best place.

ANCFlyer

Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:14 am

Quoting HAJFlyer (Reply 10):
What is so bad about Killeen except the fact that there are probably hardly any civilians around ?

Killeen is the Crotchpit of Texas . . . along with Harker Heights . . . was stationed at Ft. Hood in 1977-1979 and it sucked. Went back to visit a friend in 1996 and it still sucked . . . it will always suck . . . it's a shitty little jerkwater town that no one would miss . . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

texan

Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:16 am

Austin by far. Absolutely love the place. Great food, good nightlife, good parks, and all kinds of stuff to do nearby.

Smaller places I like include Hamilton, Glen Rose, Palestine (and the Rusk-Palestine Railroad), and Mason.

Only been to the Valley a couple of times, mostly through Harlingen and Brownsville. Didn't see much there aside from some fruit groves and desert, but I've heard it's a pretty decent place.

Dallas is really nice because of White Rock Lake. Mockingbird Station is one of the few places I will go hang out, but there are tons of great places to eat. And Southern Junction out a little bit in Rockwall is a great place to get some steak and great honky tonk sound (Robert Earl Keen there on the 28th).

For some reason I also really like Amarillo and Midland. But not really Odessa. Or Wichita Falls. And definitely not Houston.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

legend500

Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:53 am

I like 'em all. Big City (Dallas) to Wannabe (Houston), they're all good.  Wink
Especially when this is looking possible:

Super Bowl champs: Cowboys
World Series Champs: Astros
NBA Champs: Spurs or Mavericks
NHL Champs: Stars
MLS Champs: FC Dallas
BCS Champs: Texas or Texas Tech
Big 12 Champs: Texas or Texas Tech
Mountain West Champs: TCU
CUSA Champs: UTEP
Sun Belt Champs: North Texas

Moral of that story is, regardless of which one's the best, even the worst is a whole lot better than the rest of this country.

usnseallt82

Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:20 am

Quoting Jetblue (Reply 7):
I'll vote for the entire Dallas/Fort Worth area

checkmark  checkmark  checkmark  I wouldn't include Ft. Worth....just Dallas. Specifically North Dallas.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 12):
it's a shitty little jerkwater town that no one would miss . . .

Ahh, the cold air and igloos have altered your thinking. I will let you slide on this one.  hyper 
Crye me a river

AGM114L

Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:46 am

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 15):
it's a shitty little jerkwater town that no one would miss . . .

Ahh, the cold air and igloos have altered your thinking. I will let you slide on this one.

How could anyone stick up for Killeen. I lived there for two years until I moved to nearby Coppers Cove, which isn't much better. Take a stroll downtown and you would think you're in a third world country.

Quoting Legend500 (Reply 14):
Moral of that story is, regardless of which one's the best, even the worst is a whole lot better than the rest of this country.

Why are Texans so in love with themselves anyway? Texans are the exemplification of America's ethno-centricality. The only difference between Texans and the rest of the world is that Texans were the only people to ever get their asses handed to them by the Mexicans. (apologies for spelling and terminology)

DfwRevolution

Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:53 am

Quoting Texan (Reply 13):
And definitely not Houston.

Agree, for a few reasons:

(1) Heat
(2) Humidity
(3) Humidity again
(4) And again

There's nothing worse than breaking a sweat on a cloudy, windy day in November while anticipating a Thanksgiving dinner, simply because the humidity is approaching critical mass...

I wouldn't include Ft. Worth....just Dallas. Specifically North Dallas.

I love Dallas, but it does have its yuppy parts. It's a much more "executive" and elite city than some of the other Texas metropolis.

Quoting AGM114L (Reply 16):
How could anyone stick up for Killeen. I lived there for two years

I am sorry...

:D

searpqx

Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:57 am

Specifically North Dallas.

Ughh - can you say sprawling suburbia with nothing to recommend it but soccer moms and too many SUVs?

CaptOveur

Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:15 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 12):
Killeen is the Crotchpit of Texas

Not sure anyone can say it any better.

definitely not Houston.

The heat, the humidity, the traffic.. Blah.

San Antonio is actually not bad when compared to the other cities. Granted, we don't have any pro sports teams that matter, but oh well.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:20 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 19):

San Antonio is actually not bad when compared to the other cities. Granted, we don't have any pro sports teams that matter, but oh well.

The NBA champs? If you havent noticed, the Saints are playing there and talk is begining to surface about the owner being perceptive to a permanent move.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

texan

Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:25 am

The only difference between Texans and the rest of the world is that Texans were the only people to ever get their asses handed to them by the Mexicans

I coulda sworn Texas won that war we started on spurious grounds...

Just as a side note, Spain also had their asses handed to them by Mexico. And the majority of the European continent actually expected Mexico to beat the US when we declared war on them as the Mexican army had the newest and greatest British weapons as well as British training. Their generals were thought to be the cream of the crop, and it was Mexico that the majority of Europe believed would be the major power in the Americas.

Why are Texans so in love with themselves anyway?

We aren't in love with ourselves; we just know a great thing when we see it. Sure we have a crooked Legislature, a failing education system, and the Beaumont area, but overall Texas is a great place. You don't have to agree with us, but that does not mean that we are wrong, either  Smile

Texan

Well it's not just a state, it's a whole state of mind. You can feel it as soon as you cross the state line. It's deep in our hearts, our souls and our jeans. If you're from Texas then you know what I mean.
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

ANCFlyer

Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:34 am

Ahh, the cold air and igloos have altered your thinking. I will let you slide on this one.

Damn, I knew you Navy Seal types were a little bent upstairs  wink  silly  but defending Killeen and Harker Heights . . . you better up your Protzac!!!  rotfl 

nearby Copperas Cove

Have to tell you about a Fin Stab Sabot Round that landed there once . . . only once . . . at least from MY guntube . . . it was not pretty . . . they fly pretty far with the wrong superelevetion indexed . . . alas, that was the days of the M60A1 tank . . . not going to happen today. . . .

You're right though, Copperas Cove isn't much better. . . .doesn't start looking up until you get out toward Lampassas . . . north of Waco or south towards Austin.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

CaptOveur

Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:36 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 20):
The NBA champs?

I said SPORTS teams that matter. Basketball is not a sport, simply a nussiance on TV during the start of baseball season.

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 20):
If you havent noticed, the Saints are playing there and talk is begining to surface about the owner being perceptive to a permanent move.

I went to their first game, my girlfriend got free tickets so I was in row 1 at the 10 yard line. All the talk of the Saints moving here is from city government and local television talking heads. None of it is from the NFL, Saints ownership, or people in SAT with money.. Read: When monkies fly out my ass.

Besides, the Alamo Dome is a shitty venue, selling it out occupies EVERY parking spot in downtown and then some. That silly basketball team moved for a reason, other than wanting the city to prove it loved them by funding a stadium that seats half as many people in seats that my skinny ass can hardly fit into.

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:43 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 23):

I said SPORTS teams that matter. Basketball is not a sport, simply a nussiance on TV during the start of baseball season.

To each his own, but you've got a great team down there with a solid fan base to boot. I'm glad the 38,000 or so that used to crowd the dome regularly don't agree.

I didn't really buy the moving talk either, but I saw this article today that gave it more merit:

SAN ANTONIO (Oct. 17, 2005) -- Mayor Phil Hardberger reiterated his resolve to bring the Saints to San Antonio permanently, saying he wanted to close the deal before next season begins.

Hardberger, part of a sellout crowd at the Saints-Falcons game Oct. 16 in San Antonio, said Saints owner Tom Benson agreed to serious talks with him, probably at the end of this season.

Benson "understands that we will sit down and talk," Hardberger was quoted as saying in a story in the San Antonio Express-News. "That is his desire as well. I'm pretty comfortable in saying he wants to be here."

Attempts to reach Benson by telephone were not successful. Team spokesman Greg Bensel declined comment.

The Saints are under contract to play at the Louisiana Superdome through 2010, but certain provisions allow them to opt out before a Nov. 29 deadline.

Gov. Rick Perry watched the Saints-Falcons game with Hardberger from Benson's suite and said he agrees the Saints should relocate to the Alamo City and is open to the state offering some type of financial assistance.

Damage to the Superdome by Hurricane Katrina prompted the Saints to practice in San Antonio and play three games in the city's 65,000-seat Alamodome. Four other games were moved to Baton Rouge, La., where ticket sales have been sluggish.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

sccutler

Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:46 am

Texans are the exemplification of America's ethno-centricality.

OK, spelling excused, but what in the heck is "ethno-centricality"?
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

luisde8cd

Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:52 am

Viva AUSTIN!!! It is in the middle of Texas's most important cities: DFW, HOU and SAT.

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

DfwRevolution

Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:53 am

Quoting SCCutler (Reply 25):

Ethnocentric is looking at the world from only your own cultural view point. For example, white Europeans have a habit of writing history text books exclusivly about white Europeans.

CaptOveur

Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:58 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 24):
Mayor Phil Hardberger reiterated his resolve to bring the Saints to San Antonio permanently, saying he wanted to close the deal before next season begins.

Phil is just another corrupt old white guy this city somehow elected mayor in spite of wanting change. Naturally he wants to bring the team to his city and create some sort of legacy other than getting fucked hard on hiring a new city manager from.. Phoenix I think.

Hardberger, part of a sellout crowd at the Saints-Falcons game Oct. 16 in San Antonio, said Saints owner Tom Benson agreed to serious talks with him, probably at the end of this season.

With Phil Hardbergers voice drilling through my head through a whole football game I would say anything to get him to shut the hell up too.

In public, with the mayor standing next to him, at a press conference Tom Benson is not about to say HELL NO. However, actions speak louder and that is what actions seem to indicate. Also, our city was nice enough to give his wayward team a home while the Superdome is repaired and given a complete cleaning, so he might as well be nice. We could have just filled the Alamo Dome with criminals and derelects, I mean refugees like Houston did with their very nice, and un-used dome.

Attempts to reach Benson by telephone were not successful. Team spokesman Greg Bensel declined comment.

Cuz they don't wanna talk about it.

This city almost sold out the first game too. That is a bit of a farce though. I was in FRONT ROW seats that were giveaways from Valero. My girlfriend won no contest, she is not THAT exceptional of an employee. She won a raffle for some of the several hundred tickets Valero, like many other local companies, bought just to put butts in the seats. I know a lot of people who were at both those games, I don't know anyone who paid to be there. I am not saying nobody is paying to go. I am just saying the number of people who care enough to pony up the bucks is smaller than a lot of people think.

This city is and always will be a Cowboys city, if Dallas ever kicked them out they could move here in a heartbeat and be really welcomed. The Saints thing is not going to happen and the more we act like it will the worse we look.

[Edited 2005-10-18 05:17:31]

usnseallt82

Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:59 am

Take a stroll downtown and you would think you're in a third world country.

I used to live in Abilene......Kileen is heaven compared to there.  Big grin

The only difference between Texans and the rest of the world is that Texans were the only people to ever get their asses handed to them by the Mexicans.

And guess what? If you weren't such a grouchy puss misplaced yankee you would realize that it gave us the best damn Mexican food in the world.  bigthumbsup 

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 18):
nothing to recommend it but soccer moms and too many SUVs?

Yes....................soccer moms.................I say no more.  hyper 

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 22):
you better up your Protzac!!!

Hmm.......... scratchchin ................upping now......................ahh!  cloudnine 
Crye me a river

AGM114L

Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:04 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 22):
Have to tell you about a Fin Stab Sabot Round that landed there once . . . only once . . . at least from MY guntube . . . it was not pretty . . . they fly pretty far with the wrong superelevetion indexed . . . alas, that was the days of the M60A1 tank . . . not going to happen today. . . .

Do you mean the M60AL or the M1A1?

I....don't.....know. It was a feebile atempt to sound academic or something and say something about america I guess. F**k-It I make a lousy hippie.

searpqx

Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:06 pm

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 29):
Yes....................soccer moms.................I say no more. hyper

rotfl   rotfl 
Down fido! Down!

sccutler

Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:07 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 27):

Ethnocentric is looking at the world from only your own cultural view point. For example, white Europeans have a habit of writing history text books exclusivly about white Europeans.

Well, now, I thought that might have been what he was getting at, but with that interesting spelling, one never knows...

...in any event, Texas is, as a whole, the very antithesis of "ethno-centricity." Shucks, which ethnicity would be the "centro"?

I remember watching race riots in Detroit and Boston on television in the late sixties and early seventies while living, in conservative ol' Dallas, in a fully-racially and culturally-integrated neighborhood (a little bit of everyone on deck, and it seemed to work just fine).

You've all seen the Hollywood version of Texas (you know, the Texas where something really bad happens with a bunch of crackers, then some noble, smart, well-dressed guys from California or New York or Ohio show up and make things right); if you can think for yourself, you can recognize that as cultural snobbery and, fortunately for those of us who actually live and work here, it just ain't like that.

Ciao.

usnseallt82

Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:09 pm

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 31):
Down fido! Down!

hyper  dopey  hyper 
Crye me a river

ANCFlyer

Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:16 pm

Quoting AGM114L (Reply 30):
Do you mean the M60AL or the M1A1?

Noooo, the M60A1 tank . . . this was a while ago . . . ummm, no offense, but um, before you were born . . . I'm  old . It was 1978.

That wouldn't happen with an Abrams today . . .

CaptOveur

Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:18 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 34):
That wouldn't happen with an Abrams today . . .

Too bad, I am sure the town in question could still use some urban renewal.

102IAHexpress

Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:32 pm

Austin by far. Absolutely love the place. Great food, good nightlife, good parks, and all kinds of stuff to do nearby.

Huh? Great food? You mean all the Tex-Mex food that can be found in better quality and quantity in San Antonio or Houston. Great nightlife? A strip of bars and clubs does not constitute great nightlife. Sure putting a beer bong in ones mouth is fun for a while, but Texas’ best and more refined night life resides in Houston and Dallas. Austin is just the most overrated city in Texas. Other than a couple of hotels, not one classy restaurant in the whole city. The cost of living in that city is too overpriced. I’m not saying it’s not a fun place to visit, but living there is just over hyped.

No doubt about it, Houston is the best city in Texas, followed by San Antonio rounded off by Dallas then Austin:

1) Houston
2) San Antonio
3) Dallas
4) Austin

Oh and everyone should put Houston’s heat and humidity into prospective. Would you rather live in a city where scantly clad hot girls try to keep cool, or live up in the Metroplex and have to shovel snow out of ones driveway?

usnseallt82

Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:43 pm

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 36):
Sure putting a beer bong in ones mouth is fun for a while, but Texas’ best and more refined night life resides in Houston and Dallas.

checkmark 

The cost of living in that city is too overpriced.

checkmark 

No doubt about it, Houston is the best city in Texas, followed by San Antonio rounded off by Dallas then Austin

Don't know if I agree with the order, but I do agree with what you're saying about Austin. I'd take Dallas anyday.
Crye me a river

modernArt

Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:46 pm

I don't think they shovel too much snow in the Metroplex, but I generally agree with the rest of your post.

Being a Central Texas native, I've never understood the love fest for Austin.

usnseallt82

Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:48 pm

Quoting ModernArt (Reply 38):

I don't know why either.....l'm an Abilene boy. They definitely have a 'love fest' down there though....but its usually surrounded by rainbow flags and weed.  Big grin
Crye me a river

102IAHexpress

Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:58 pm

Quoting ModernArt (Reply 38):

Me neither. It’s a college town, and that’s about it really. The state legislature only convenes in Austin once every two years, and during the summer when UT’s students go home to Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio, the city is just dead.

KAUSpilot

Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:07 pm

Well, I've lived in Austin for a full 4 years now, and I really like the city dispite its flaws (like door to door environmentalists asking you to sign stupid petitions). I was born in Houston but I have to put it at the bottom of the 4 big texas metros:

1. Austin
2. Dallas
3. San Antonio
4. Houston
5. Kerrville
6. Ft. Worth
7. Corpus Christi/Port Aransas
8. Fredricksburg
9. Leakey
10. Bandera

Much love to the hill country.
gotta give the big K-town some love on this thread.

aa777flyer

Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:08 pm

There is no best city in Texas. The whole state SUCKS and should be given back to Mexico. The state is a giant GHETTO! The state has the lowest schools in the state, the people have the lowest credit score, it is one big DUMP!
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

KAUSpilot

Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:11 pm

Quoting Aa777flyer (Reply 42):
The state has the lowest schools in the state

Game, set, match.

sccutler

Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:12 pm

There is no best city in Texas. The whole state SUCKS and should be given back to Mexico. The state is a giant GHETTO! The state has the lowest schools in the state, the people have the lowest credit score, it is one big DUMP!

There, now, doesn't that feel better?

satx

Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:15 pm

Here are my top five...

1. Austin

Heh.  Big grin
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

csavel

Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:54 pm

Quoting HAJFlyer (Reply 4):

And if I had to choose between summer by a Great Lake and summer anywhere in Texas, I would not have to think very long.

Be that as it may, haven't been to Texas too often, but...

Austin is nice, hip.
San Antonio is fun,
The Dallas Ft. Worth metroplex is a lot cooler than I thought it would be even if they have the dumbest name for a baseball stadium ever in recorded history.

All suffer from the Texan heat index and thus are not fit for habitation by myself.

As for Houston, I can't live in a place where I have to be cooped up inside in life support seven months out of the year. That combined with the car and mall culture which seems to be worse here than anywhere else and it is my idea of hell.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

kevi747

Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:32 pm

Clearly you've never set foot outside of this hellhole.

Quoting Texan (Reply 21):
We aren't in love with ourselves; we just know a great thing when we see it.

Obviously you don't. (Or, more likely, you have nothing else to compare it to.)

but overall Texas is a great place.

In what way?

Well it's not just a state, it's a whole state of mind. You can feel it as soon as you cross the state line. It's deep in our hearts, our souls and our jeans. If you're from Texas then you know what I mean.

Unfortunately I do. I grew up here and this whole place SUCKS!!!

Quoting SCCutler (Reply 32):
You've all seen the Hollywood version of Texas (you know, the Texas where something really bad happens with a bunch of crackers, then some noble, smart, well-dressed guys from California or New York or Ohio show up and make things right);

I must have missed that movie.  Yeah sure

Quoting KAUSpilot (Reply 43):
The state has the lowest schools in the state

Game, set, match.

OK, that was pretty funny.  biggrin 
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

IAH777

Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:05 pm

1. Houston
2. Austin
3. Fredericksburg/Johnson City
12. Dallasfortworth
992. San Antonio (Santonya)
4,674,929. Crappus Christi

aa777flyer

Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:06 pm

Well it's not just a state, it's a whole state of mind.

If thats the case, then all Texans must be insane.
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!