Vasu
Topic Author

What To Do In Riga?

Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:06 pm

Hey all...

I'm off to Riga, Latvia from 24th - 27th Oct...

What would you guys recommend to do around the city between these days?

I understand there's some kind of music festival going on?

OV735

RE: What To Do In Riga?

Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:38 am

Riga is a nice place for visiting. Great old town, lots of sights to see, several interesting museums, and nice pubs with cheap beer. If you can, try to get a sightseeing tour around the old town - it should take about an hour or so and you'll hear and see plenty of interesting facts about the past and present of the city.

If you're in for something aviation-related, there's a museum right next to the airport, with several Soviet-era military & civil aircraft and other stuff.

There's also the town of Sigulda, about an hour and a half from Riga by train. There you can find the ruins of the Turaida castle, the largest cave in the Baltics, the folk song hill and I think you can even try bobsleighing there. The terrain's quite hilly and can offer some rather nice sights (especially in the autumn when the leaves on trees can create some nice colours).

Riga In Your Pocket is a relatively comprehensive guide to the city and can be found here:
http://www.inyourpocket.com/latvia/riga/en/

In general, Riga is definetly worth visiting - I've been there myself on numerous times and hoping to go for a daytrip again this Christmas.

[Edited 2005-10-18 23:39:49]

traveler_7

Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:03 am

It is worth to have a meal in one of "Lido" restaurants. They have very interesting sort of beer, produced specially for them, called "Special"
Enjoy Riga

Vasu
Topic Author

Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:53 am

Thanks people!

Quoting Traveler_7 (Reply 2):
"Lido" restaurants

Is that a restaurant chain?

Quoting OV735 (Reply 1):

If you're in for something aviation-related, there's a museum right next to the airport

What's the name of the museum? Does it have a website?

Thanks very much once again!

OV735

Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:51 am

Quoting Vasu (Reply 3):
What's the name of the museum? Does it have a website?

I honestly don't know, I think it's just called the Riga Aviation Museum. I have not found a website for them, but if your run a photo search on A.net for Riga, you'll come up with lots of pictures of their hardware.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Yakfreak - VAP
View Large View Medium

Photo © Janne Laukkonen - FAP

View Large View Medium

Photo © Janne Laukkonen - FAP
View Large View Medium

Photo © Uldis Pelna

Quoting Traveler_7 (Reply 2):
It is worth to have a meal in one of "Lido" restaurants.

Are there more than one of them? Whereabouts? I might check it out on the next trip.

lima

Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:06 pm

In town you should like to visit the central market. One of the biggest in Europe. It was build from four Zeppeling hangars. You can take walking tours, found on some tourist guides. The Moscow district is very interesting, you also have a Art Noveau one right in the centre.

If you want to drink great coffee, there is a chain in many places in the centre called Double Coffee. Don't miss it.

There are two great cafes, bars with beautiful views of the city. One is the Reval Hotel Latvija, in front of the park, is the tallest building. On the top you have the Skylinebar.

Also in the central railway station there is a tower. On the top there is a fantastic bar calle Neon. Worth a visit.

Enjoy.