csavel

Israeli Arabs And Travelling On A Passport

Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:58 am

I know that an Israeli stamp or an Israeli passport will make it difficult to travel to some Arab countries.

So I an wondering what an Israeli Arab does. Say he wants to visit Beirut? or make the Hajj?

How can he or she do it? Does Saudi Arabia, for example, offer an exemption for Israeli Arabs if you can explain? Do they have a Hajj visa? And just how would one travel to Saudi Arabia from Israel for that anyway? What if he wanted to go to Beirut? Maybe he's got a cousin there. I've always been curious about the mechanisms of travel for Israeli Arabs.

I'd like to keep this discussion on the merely technical side and not have it degenerate into a general flamefest. - please?
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

csavel

RE: Israeli Arabs And Travelling On A Passport

Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:22 am

Well I answered my own question.

"Because Israel and Saudi Arabia do not have diplomatic relations, Israeli-Arab Muslims are required to transit Jordan and obtain Jordanian travel documents to enter Saudi Arabia. In Jordan, they temporarily relinquish their Israeli passports for the Jordanian documents. Their passports are returned to them upon re-entry into the country."

from the Jewish virtual library.

Doesn't answer what happens if an Israeli Arab wants to visit another Arab country on non-hajj business.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

avi

RE: Israeli Arabs And Travelling On A Passport

Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:34 am

Generally Israelis are not allowed to enter countries that defined hostile countries to Israel and religion has nothing to do with it. So no one is allowed to go to Lebanon or Syria (although Druze from the Golan Heights can go to Syria for studying)

The Hajj is exception. Arab Israelis can do the Hajj. I don't know how it works, I just know it works (there is a secret procedure between Israel, Jordan and Saudi Arabia). They enter first to Jordan (and they could do that even before there was a peace between Israel and Jordan) and than into Saudi Arabia.
They must leave Israel with their Israeli passport but I don't know what is happening from there.
Long live the B747