PipoA380
Topic Author

Good Book Tips / What Are You Reading!

Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:15 pm

Hi! I've been reading a couple of books lately and thought I should recommend some to you  Wink I very hardly read books, I've never really been into it but there's this book I'm reading now that's really excellent.

Two simple questions:
1) What book are you reading right now
2) What book do you recomment?

For me it's
1) Stephen Clarke - Merde, actually
2) Stephen Clarke - A Year in the merde (Story of a Brit going to France, and the differences between both culture. Really excellent! The "Merde, actually" is the follow-up of this one.)
Also: Dominique Lapierre / Larry Collins - "New York Brûle-t-il?" (Is New York Burning), thrilled themed on terrorism in the United States. Quite interesting.

Cheers, wave 
Philippe
It's not about AIRBUS. it's not about BOEING. It's all about the beauty of FLYING.

AMSGOT

RE: Good Book Tips / What Are You Reading!

Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:15 pm

Not that it will get you anywhere, but I currently read Ronald Giphart - Troost.

I enjoyed reading Ken Follett - The Third Twin (I know it's old) this past summer.

I like Dutch and Swedish literature each in its own language. The Dan Browns, Ken Folletts are nice for holidays, also in the original language.
Please remain seated!

aireuropeuk733

Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:16 pm

As a kid I used to hate reading but as I got into my early 20s (some years ago!) I found that I couldn't put books down!

I've read most of John Grisham's and am now really into books about airlines and airline management (seeing as I didn't become a pilot like I always wanted to!)

The likes of Ryanair by Siobhan Creaton

It was Nice to Fly with Friends by Graham M Simons

No Frills: The Truth Behind the Low-cost Revolution in the Skies by Simon Calder, and

Go - An Airline Adventure by Barbara Cassani

I've also got on order (should arrive any day now) the new book about easyJet by Lois Jones and a book about jetBlue by Barbara Peterson.

AE733
It's nice to fly with friends

Gman94

Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:33 pm

I am currently reading the Hitch Hikers guide to the Galaxy.

The book I would most recommend is one that I read recently called Operation Certain Death, it's a true story* about the joint SAS/Paras mission in Sierra Leone a few years ago to rescue a group of Irish Guards held hostage by the notorious West Side Boys. Awesome read highly recommend it.

* the author does say that some parts of the book are fictionalised due to the operational secrets that the SAS have.
British Airways - The Way To Fly

Sabena332

Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:39 pm

I would like to read a book about Indian aviation written by a certain forum member, unfortunately it still didn't arrive here.  Wink

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

flyAUA

Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:50 pm

And since I'm not so into books, I also have a read through these regularly...

Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

HAWK21M

Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:53 pm

B752SF AMM.
Wouldn't Reccomend it.
 biggrin 
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

KROC

Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:24 pm

I'm currently reading "Murder Machine" about Roy DeMeao's crew in the Gambino Family that were used by all the Mafia Failies as a squad to carry out their hits.

baylorairbear

Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:44 pm

Quoting AirEuropeUK733 (Reply 2):
As a kid I used to hate reading but as I got into my early 20s (some years ago!) I found that I couldn't put books down!

checkmark 

I've just read "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas, and "Flight of Passage" by Rinker Buck. I strongly recommend them both. Monte Cristo is a well-known standard.

"Flight of Passage" is the true story of two teens, Kern and Rinker Buck (17 & 15 respectively) that fly a Cub from Connecticut to California in the 60's(?). The flying is great. It also recounts the coming of age of the boys and the relationship with their ex-barnstorming father.

I am beginning "The Three Muskateers", also by Dumas.

BAB
I'm just skipping stones...

ANITIX87

Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:14 am

Every book Michael Crichton has ever written (except SPHERE) is incredible. I would recommend them all. A lot of them have been made into movies as well, incling Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Disclosure, and maybe one other one as well. But they are incredible books.

John Grisham has amazing novels as well, many of which have also hit the big screen, including Runaway Jury (my favorite) and others.

Tom Clancy has some good books, though I tend to dislike a lot of them. The Hunt For Red October, SSN, the Netforce series...those are my favorites.

As you can tell, I love science fiction and mystery novels. There's also Agatha Christie's novels with Hercule Poirot as the famous detective. Literature is rarely terrible. And for a very moving book, read The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.

Just my two cents. You have a good two years' worth of reading there.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

aireuropeuk733

Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:27 am

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 9):
Every book Michael Crichton has ever written (except SPHERE) is incredible. I

He wrote a great novel about an air crash and the investigation afterwards - I think it's called Airframe - couldn't put it down!

AE733
It's nice to fly with friends

NUAir

Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:35 am

Two of my recent favorites

Even though Bush is reading it, it's a worthy book!

"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet

RobertNL070

Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:50 am

Two books at the moment:

John Irving's Until I Find You, and
Paul Johnson's A History Of The American People
while also nosing through Charles Groenhuijsen's Amerikanen Zijn Niet Gek for a little light refreshment.

Regards, Robert  bouncy 
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

PipoA380
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:43 am

Quoting AirEuropeUK733 (Reply 10):
He wrote a great novel about an air crash and the investigation afterwards - I think it's called Airframe - couldn't put it down!

Yes, it's called "Airframe", I have it here but haven't started reading it yet. But I will as soon as I finish the two others I'm reading now.
It's not about AIRBUS. it's not about BOEING. It's all about the beauty of FLYING.

TheSorcerer

Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:35 am

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 3):
I am currently reading the Hitch Hikers guide to the Galaxy.

The book I would most recommend is one that I read recently called Operation Certain Death, it's a true story* about the joint SAS/Paras mission in Sierra Leone a few years ago to rescue a group of Irish Guards held hostage by the notorious West Side Boys. Awesome read highly recommend it.

I read a book called operation Barras. It said on the cover it was all about that rescue mission, but I found that the last chapter was about it and the rest of the book was about the political situation in sierra Leone (very boring and disappointing).

I'm not reading a book at the moment but I just finished a book called THE COMPANY.

The history of the CIA, it's based on true events. Good book
I recommend it

The Sorcerer

BTW no I did not get my username from Harry potter I got it from the book I mentioned above.
ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

9VSPO

Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am

Currently 3/4 way through this.

cedarjet

Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:46 am

Right now I'm reading The Great War For Civilisation by war correspondent Robert Fisk. He's a great writer and has really walked it as well as talked it - met Osama three times, Saddam quite a few times, Khomeini, you name it. The chapter about the Soviet invasion of Afganistan is remarkable, ditto the Iranian Revolution. Now I'm on pre-US invasion Iraq. While Saddam's brutality to his people in no way excuses the US attack on Iraq and the 100,000+ death toll and chaos, I must say I never fully grasped the truly horrific nature of Saddam's rule. This is the most eye-opening book I've read in a long time. And the longest.

Quoting AirEuropeUK733 (Reply 2):
I've also got on order (should arrive any day now) the new book about easyJet by Lois Jones and a book about jetBlue by Barbara Peterson.

Aha, so someone else saw the bundled offer on Amazon! Mine should be arriving tomorrow, really looking forward to it.

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 8):
"Flight of Passage" is the true story of two teens, Kern and Rinker Buck (17 & 15 respectively) that fly a Cub from Connecticut to California in the 60's(?). The flying is great. It also recounts the coming of age of the boys and the relationship with their ex-barnstorming father.

Just ordered this one from Amazon after reading this thread, sounds great. Thanks Air Bear.

When is someone going to make the film? The movie rights were sold and I heard it was starting production. That was a few years ago, and it's been deafening silence ever since. What gives?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

prosa

Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:50 am

The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana, by Umberto Eco. He's one of my favorite authors, his books are always captivating even though intellectually challenging (not an easy combination). The story is about a rare-book dealer in Milan who suffers a stroke that essentially wipes out his entire "biographic" memory, to the point where he can no longer recognize his family, while leaving his knowledge of history, literature, trivia etc. completely intact - as I understand it, that sort of thing actually does happen to some stroke victims. In an attempt to relearn his past, he goes to his family's ancestral country house somewhere near Turin to delve through a huge accumulation of books, magazines, newspapers, notebooks and records from his childhood. I'm about halfway through the story, no doubt some major twists and turns lie ahead.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

AMSGOT

Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:05 am

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 12):
John Irving's Until I Find You

How's this one for you, Robert? I'm considering reading it next.
Please remain seated!

RobertNL070

Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:40 am

Quoting AMSGOT (Reply 18):
How's this one for you, Robert? I'm considering reading it next

Very good indeed. It grabbed me on the first page with a setting that reminded me very much of Harper Lee, of To Kill A Mockingbird fame.

Regards, Robert  bouncy 
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

BR076

Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:44 am

At the moment I'm reading Tess Gerritsen - The Sinner

ú

baylorairbear

Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:48 am

Quoting Cedarjet (Reply 16):
Just ordered this one from Amazon after reading this thread, sounds great. Thanks Air Bear.

You're welcome. My synopsis doesn't do it justice. Buck really puts you in the cockpit, and gives you a taste of the "golden age."

BAB
I'm just skipping stones...

kiwiinoz

Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:09 am

Currently reading, "Himalaya", a travelog by Michael Palin. Considering who the author is, it is no where near as entertaining as I expected.

Recently read a book that makes my all time top 5 list, "A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry. Amazing characters

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 9):
Every book Michael Crichton has ever written (except SPHERE) is incredible. I

AE733

Does the plane actually crash in this one? I thought it was a couple of passenger deaths after some strong turbulence....

mbmbos

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:24 am

Presently reading: The Falls by Joyce Carol Oates

Recommended reading: Your Face Tomorrow: Fever and Spear by Javier Marias
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

VS772LR

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:49 am

Right now I'm half way through Richard Branson's autobiography, "Losing My Virginity". Some moments of his life are quite funny, BTW. I don't have anything to recommend but if I have to, go pick up a copy of Branson's autobiography. I think you'll enjoy it unless you absolutely hate Sir Branson or the Virgin Group.

Happy Reading,

VS772LR
So what if Virgin's motto is Four Engines for Long Haul!

Nancy

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:54 am

I recently read "The Tattooed Girl" by Joyce Carol Oates - truly disturbing! I just finished "In the Hand of Dante" and I can't decide if it was good or not. I keep trying to read "Mason Dixon" but can't get through more than 4 chapters without giving up. I really enjoyed "An Instance of the Fingerpost" (Pears) and "The Curious incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" (Haddon) Anything by Eco is good, and I think the last one was the most readable. I also really enjoy Tolstoy, and shamefully enough ..... Harry Potter (My horrible secret is revealed!)

Aviation

Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:01 am

A good read for all Aviation freaks like me is an oldie:

The Ghost Of Flight 401

Cheers,
Signed, Aaron Nicoli - Trans World Airlines Collector

TNboy

Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:28 pm

"Gangster" by Lorenzo Carcaterra (love his books); and "Beyond the Blue Horizon" by Alexander Frater - a history of Imperial Airways. Have some stuff by Annie Proulx and Larry McMurtry to catch up on.
Cheers
Bill
"...every aircraft is subtly different.."

HAJFlyer

Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:44 pm

One of the very best books on peak oil has recently been published by the Houston based energy investment banker Mathew Simmons.

If you are interested in energy and/or the middle you have to read "Twilight in the desert" which examines the likelihood that Saudi Arabia massively overstates its proven and probable oil reserves thereby giving the world a false sense of security.

flyingbabydoc

Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:27 pm

Quoting PipoA380 (Thread starter):
Two simple questions:
1) What book are you reading right now
2) What book do you recomment?

1: A story of Alexander the Great by Maurice Druon (excellent, albeit a little "dry" to read)

2: All books (short stories) by Checkhov (my favorite). Actually, I strong recommend a Kafka which is not so widely known: tales from the country doctor. Excellent.

Cheers

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative