alcregular

Anyone With NTL Broadband?

Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:11 am

I have my broadband with NTL and it's doing my head in. My connection seems to be slow lately and keep losing my connection. I'm fed up with them. Does anyone know if I can use any other ISP with an NTL phone line? I know this practically impossbile but dad won't change back to BT phone line and definately will not allow me to get my own phone line installed.
Why drive when you can fly?

Demoose

RE: Anyone With NTL Broadband?

Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:24 am

I had NTL broadband at my uni house last year. It was slow at times but never had too many problems really. Are you using a wireless router?

I'm not sure, but I seem to remember AOL offering ISP service via an NTL cable lines, in the area where I lived anyway.

Mark
Take a ride...fly across the sky

alcregular

Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:26 am

I'm old-fashioned, lol. I'm wired upto my modem unfortunately. Bloody plug isn't all that great either. Must get a new one soon.

pilot kaz

Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:29 am

Im on NTL Broadband, Not had any problems in the past 3 years.

Give them a call...
-

777236ER

Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:31 am

Bear in mind that Telewest is NTL now, and that cable is vastly superior to ADSL, you don't have much choice but to stick with them  Sad
Your bone's got a little machine

alcregular

Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:44 am

I think I will give their tech support a call 2moz, sods law though, as soon as I've typed this thread, my computer seems to be running as it should do.

FLYtoEGCC

Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:55 am

Quoting Pilot kaz (Reply 3):
Give them a call...

No, do NOT do that unless you want to spend an hour or so of utter stress and disbelief talking to a call centre half way across the world, speaking to some idiot who doesn't have a clue what you're saying, doesn't have a clue what he's on about either and has basically been shoved in front of a phone and given a flowchart of possible problems and solutions, most of which anyone with half a brain would already have tried (is the power cable plugged in? etc.)

NTL customer "service" is a disgrace. I had severe problems when I connected with them this time last year, and their call-centre staff were some of the most unhelpful, untrained and generally clueless I have ever had the misfortune to come across.

A better idea is to get on the internet when you can, and search through internet message boards and forums as to what your problem might be, then try and narrow it down. Once you've identified it, it should mean you don't have to spend as long wasting money on the phone to some moron.

Better still, cancel them. Then, INSIST you get a BT phoneline back and get an ADSL connection. We've just got Plusnet broadband and it's great - the customer service has been brilliant, and the connection has been just as good. And it only costs £14.99 a month.

On the subject of the connection, I found it to be absolutely great - when it worked. Which, to be fair, was most of the time.
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

alcregular

Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:00 am

When I have rang them previously, I got through pretty quickly and spoke to someone within the UK (I think they have a cal centre in Wales or somewhere) and they were helpful. I find this is the only nice thing about NTL. Their cable service is diabolicle, but dad won't get in Sky. He flicks channels too much to change it anyway, so you can't really watch the TV (unless you call watching Quiz TV actually TV)