Bridogger6
Topic Author

I Did Something WAY Stupid!

Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:38 am

Well, last week I was really sick and had a really painful ear infection... normally this wouldn't cause me to miss class or anything but it hurt me REAALLLLYYY bad, I have never felt such pain and I couldn't use the time off class to flying or anything either for obvious reasons.  Sad

Anyway, due to a doctor's appointment I scheduled I missed my aviation meteorology class last Thursday, one week ago. Well what totally slipped my mind is that we were having one of our three major exams of the semester. I am SUCH a dodo-head.

Am I just the stupidest person in the world (I really feel like it), or has anyone else ever just completely forgotten about a major test.

I e-mailed my professor just yesterday about it, said I was sick and asked if I would still be able to take it... I hope so. :-

theCoz

RE: I Did Something WAY Stupid!

Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:44 am

Could you request a note from your doctor to help validate things?

alcregular

Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:46 am

I know how you feel. When I get an ear infection, I'm stamping the floor and crying with the pain, it just hurts so much. You just totally forget about everything else because the pain takes over everything. I hope your professor lets you take the exams, good luck.
Why drive when you can fly?

redngold

Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:48 am

You should be able to get a doctor's note, and your professor should either allow you to make up the test or assign you equivalent work in lieu.

redngold
Up, up and away!

Mir

Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:09 am

It happened to me last year, and I didn't have nearly as good an excuse as you did. My professor let me make up the exam.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ilikeyyc

Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:58 am

Quoting Bridogger6 (Thread starter):
I e-mailed my professor just yesterday about it, said I was sick and asked if I would still be able to take it... I hope so.

My experience has been that most professors will be nice and let you take the test. However, expect them to give you some grief about why you didn't contact them before class and why you waited almost a week after the fact to tell him or her about missing the test. Having proof of your doctor visit the next time you see your prof. will greatly help your case. In the future I recomend notifying your prof. before missing ANY class, regardless if there is a test or not that day.

Am I just the stupidest person in the world (I really feel like it), or has anyone else ever just completely forgotten about a major test.

No, I have never forgotten about major tests  liar 
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

CaptOveur

Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:14 pm

Get the doctors note and hope for the best. Without the note you just look like a whiner wanting a way out. With the note you have a valid excuse.

Usually, there is something about make-ups in the syllabus.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

Logan22L

Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:27 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):
It happened to me last year, and I didn't have nearly as good an excuse as you did.

What happened, did you lose your beret?  Wink
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

HAWK21M

Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:36 pm

Well what totally slipped my mind is that we were having one of our three major exams of the semester

Keep a Reminder.It helps.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

fbgdavidson

Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:23 pm

I'm guilty it put a year of my University course in jeopardy! In the heat of the moment I, like yourself started a thread on Flyertalk about it. Here is my original post:

'I had the biggest brainfart earlier which scared the absolute living sh1t out of me.

I had an exam this morning which ended at 11.30am and I went to speak with one of my friends. I asked if he was ready for tomorrows exam, he asked what exam I was on about. I thought he was joking with me because he usually does but it turns out the exam was yesterday and I completely missed it (Unusually I wasn't on Flyertalk at the time! there is always a first)

I sh1t bricks, blue lights and had wooden twins all at once!

Have been grovelling with a stuffy old professor for about an hour to let me retake the exam, although the retakes are early in September.....and on the 10th I am off to SFO. What struck the fear of God into me when I first realised I had missed the exam was that since that module was a compulsory pass if they didn't let me retake that module I'd have to retake the whole second year of University again I am sick of this place after with one year to go!

This could be very interesting'

and the conclusion
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Barcode

Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:35 pm

Call me unsympathetic, but I think it's the responsibility of the student to ensure they are present, and if they are ill, they need to get a doctors note, take it to the department and reschedule the exam.

On my course, we just fail the module if we miss an exam due to absent-mindedness. As it should be IMO.

Saying that, I do hope it works out for you. With a doctors note, there's no reason why things shouldn't be o.k.

AsstChiefMark

Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:38 pm

I went into the exam room to take a final exam for a geology class. I asked if I could postpone taking the test for a day. My excuse: I was up cramming all night and had taken about 1500 mg of No-Doz...that's 15 tablets. I was twitching and stammering so bad that I looked like Tweek from South Park.

He agreed that I was in no condition to take a test that day and granted my request.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Mir

Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:56 pm

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 7):
What happened, did you lose your beret?

I have NEVER lost the beret.  Smile

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day