andz

Sir Richard To Enter South African Cell Market

Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:01 pm

British entrepreneur Richard Branson is poised to break into South Africa's mobile phone market with his Virgin brand via a joint venture with the country's third-ranked operator Cell C.

Top Cell C executive Jonathan Newman, who is running the deal for the unlisted company, told Reuters the two firms would set up a 50/50 joint venture to market Cell C services under Branson's Virgin airlines-to-mobile phone brand.

"Talks are progressing well," Newman said. "Virgin is perceived as a premium brand here so it will complement Cell C well."

Branson has already set up British, US, Canadian and Australian mobile phone businesses, focusing mainly on teenagers and young adults. But Newman said that in South Africa the brand had a more upmarket appeal, thanks to Virgin's chain of gyms in swanky suburbs.

He declined to say when the deal would be signed, but industry sources have said the brand could be launched within months.

Cell C, which lags rivals Vodacom and MTN with just 12% of the market, targets middle earners and the young, but reckons Virgin will coax some of the bigger spenders away from its larger rivals, boosting its average revenue per user.

Branson was reported as saying that the cost of making a phone call in South Africa was "exorbitant" and he intended to do something about it.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Banco

RE: Sir Richard To Enter South African Cell Market

Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:37 pm

Quite amazing how Branson can still position himself as the consumers friend and get away with it.  Yeah sure
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

jafa39

Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:44 pm

From the title I thought he was going to open "Virgin Prisons"...
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

N1120A

Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:53 pm

Quoting Andz (Thread starter):
Branson was reported as saying that the cost of making a phone call in South Africa was "exorbitant" and he intended to do something about it.

Just a question, how much does it cost in an average month for mobile service on South Africa? I really don't know how Virgin Mobile puts all that much downward pressue on prices as they usually use the more expensive "pay as you go" model
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:52 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 2):

Me too. Then again, that would have been "virgin" on the ridiculous
 Big grin
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

VonRichtofen

Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:24 pm

Well Virgin Mobile arrived in Canada recently with a whopping choice of some 3 shitty phones no monthly plans. It's hasn't really taken off here.

Kris

andz

Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:02 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 2):

I'm sure he could do a better job that the current prison service!

Quoting N1120A (Reply 3):
Just a question, how much does it cost in an average month for mobile service on South Africa?

We have 3 networks: Vodacom, MTN and Cell C. Costs vary widely depending on the contract type or if you have pay as you go. I have a Talk 500 contract with Vodacom, which gives me 500 minutes talk time (billed per second) for R800 a month (about 100 Euro). I also have an SMS bundle which gives me 500 SMS a month for about 3 Euro cents each.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...