MFEFlyer
Topic Author

Car Manufacturer In The Rio Grande Valley

Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:56 pm

Hey guys I was reading the Monitor today (McAllen, TX news paper)
and Governer perry came down here to UTPA and made an anouncement that he wants to lure a auto manufacturer here in McAllen.

Here is the full article: http://www.themonitor.com/SiteProces...ils.cfm&StoryID=9849&Section=Local

Any ideas in which auto manufacturer wants to associate with McAllen. The mayor of McAllen and the Governer of Texas wouldn't say what company, so maybe some of you might know, or have any ideas.

Any info. would be great!
Valley Approach.....

HAJFlyer

RE: Car Manufacturer In The Rio Grande Valley

Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:04 am

Haven't there been rumors for quite some time that Hyundai/KIA, which has seen its US sales rising considerably in the last few years is looking for a US manufacturing site ?

The only other manufacturer that is expereincing capacity constraints that I can think of at the moment is Mazda.

[Edited 2005-10-28 17:06:42]

MFEFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:15 am

I'm not sure, I know toyota is San Antonio, maybe your right, a Japanese market here in South Texas could work.
Valley Approach.....

desertjets

Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:18 am

Hyundai recently opened a plant in Alabama... they are building the new Sonota there, with more product lines to come. Though a seperate plant for KIA does make sense, only some of the new product is on common platform.

Mazda, at least in the US, doesn't have any capacity problems. Quite the opposite. The Flat Rock, MI plant (produces the Mazda6) was so far below capacity they added a Mustang production facility. However the non-Ford sourced product is still coming from the plants in Japan, IIRC.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

MFEFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:39 am

I honestly never would of thought that a Japanese Manufacturer would want to come, I personally thought it was Ford or some kind of an American company.
Valley Approach.....

HAJFlyer

Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:43 am

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 3):
Mazda, at least in the US, doesn't have any capacity problems. Quite the opposite. The Flat Rock, MI plant (produces the Mazda6) was so far below capacity they added a Mustang production facility

Interesting, in an interview with German TV the Mazda CEO recently complained about tight production capacity. Maybe he was just referring to the Japanses plants.

AFAIK all models sold in Europe (except the Mazda2, the Tribute and the B2500 Pickup) are produced in their Japanese plants.

MFEFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:04 am

If you guys notice on the newspaper:

"Keith Patridge, executive vice president of the McAllen Economic Development Corp., hinted at it in July while discussing a new "trucks in, trains out" regional multimodal transportation center under development near the McAllen Foreign Trade Zone."

if you notice it says "trucks in"

I know mazda makes trucks, but not Kia nor Hyundai, well Hyundai makes the sonata a suv, but not truck
Valley Approach.....

HAJFlyer

Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:19 am

Quoting MFEFlyer (Reply 6):
"trucks in, trains out"

What he most likely meant was that cargo transported by truck across the border would be transferred to trains headed to points further north at this inter-modal hub.

There is a similar hub in Shelby, MT where they transfer cargo coming by truck from Canada on trains headed west or east.

These inter-modal hubs are usually operated by railway companies and are not affiliated with any particular manufacturing venture although having such a hub in MFE would certainly facilitate the establishment of an efficient supply chain for a car plant.

usnseallt82

Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:13 am

I wouldn't be surprised if they did bring someone in. It has such a nice central location to many major roadways that will allow shipments across the U.S. I'd like to see it happen. Hopefully it will.  bigthumbsup 
Crye me a river

MFEFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:21 am

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 8):
I wouldn't be surprised if they did bring someone in. It has such a nice central location to many major roadways that will allow shipments across the U.S. I'd like to see it happen. Hopefully it will.

So do I, more business to the City.
Valley Approach.....

stirling

Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:55 am

Look for Toyota to nail down a location, maybe in Texas, to produce components for the Camry Hybrid slated for production in Georgetown KY in 2006.

At present most drivetrain components will come from Japan. However, Toyota likes to incubate indigenous supply chains...cheaper that way.

If it is not Toyota, the Rio Grande could very well land an outside vendor. Such as they do here locally. The NUMMI plant in Fremont CA, which among other things makes Toyota pickups...has the chassis' built in Stockton CA by the Dana Corp.
If your local people have done their homework, they are talking not just to the assembler of the final product, but the makers of every part underneath. There-in lies the coup de grace.

Good Luck to all.

The Rio Grande and my home, the San Joaquin, share many attributes..prime of them being the region's inability to provide sustainable jobs beyond the ag-industry.
Delete this User