DaddiesSecret
Topic Author

Holiday Destinations You Don't Want To Visit!

Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:05 pm

1 .. Dominican Republic. (NEVER heard anything good about it)
2 .. Dubai. (Just seems to be a large shopping mall where you can't have a drink outside your hotel)
3 .. Australia. (Obvious Reasons..)

Bofredrik

RE: Holiday Destinations You Don't Want To Visit!

Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:40 pm

Pattaya, Thailand.

The whole place is full of prostitution.

You can "buy" everything.

It is a terrible place!

old  men walking around hand in hand with 13-year old girls...

ANCFlyer

Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:03 pm

Quoting DaddiesSecret (Thread starter):

Hmmm, what would those obvious reasons be? Ithought Oz was quite a great place when I was there in 1990. . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ME AVN FAN

Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:58 pm

Dubai. (Just seems to be a large shopping mall where you can't have a drink outside your hotel)

You heavily exaggerate. Beside the point that also a good orange-juice is a "drink" somehow, you can get your "drink" not only in hotels but also in places like the "Irish Village" compound near the airport or in many beach areas etc. And the Creek does have quite some atmosphere. But of course, just as most of the Gulf "cities" with the noteable exception of Muscat, Dubai is basically a modern city which until the 60ies rather was a small trading-town of no importance. If you wish to visit beautiful Arab cities, visit Damascus, Beirut, Cairo, Alexandria (the Pearl of the Mediterranean), Tunis, Algiers, Oran, Rabat, Fez, Casablanca. And the most beautiful of all for sure is Sana'a , the Yemeni Capital .

NZPM

Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:32 pm

Bali  duck 

Also those awful mega-resorts populated by package-tourists, eg. Cancun, Benidorm etc.

TheSorcerer

Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:18 pm

Well tenerife (south) is disastrous for a family holiday, but it's great if you want go for a weeklong piss up.

The Sorcerer
ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

ltbewr

Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:42 pm

Any place that is overdeveloped by non-locals, expolits the locals to extreme levels, has loads of locals begging, high crime rates, where drinking, shopping or prostitution are the main activities, problems with clean drinking water, odd foods. That's why I never was never interested in Cancun and most of the other Mexican or many Carribbean resorts areas. I am aware that there are many fine places for tourism in those areas which are very fine away from the package tour places.

TheSonntag

Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:28 pm

Ballermann 6, El Arenal, MALLE.

Or Balneario 6, S'arenal on Mallorca in Spain like the locas probably would say. I was there this year, and while Mallorca is a beautiful island, this was hell. Only football fans from embarassing bad German football clubs, supplemented by some drunk guys from the netherlands and the UK. The party song sung everywhere was "A DI A DI A DI A DI OHHHH, BEEE VAU BEEEEH, HUUUUUHRÄÄÄN SÖÖÖÖ ÖÖÖÖH NÄÄÄÄÄ" (it was implying that BVB = Dortmund football club was a bunch of sons of bitches or something like that, this describes the intellectual niveau of the holidays).

While I do not have anything against partys with lots of drunk girls  Wink, this was just disgusting. I was there with another German girl and a Canadian girl. The Canadian spoke English, French and Spanish and could not talk to anybody as these people only spoke German. Usual conversation with these people went like this: Me: Where are you from? Answer: (insert any boring place that is more than 50km away from the next city). Next question: What are you doing:
(insert a) unemployed, b) waiting for a job c) cleaning somewhere or something like this). Then I was asked: What are you doing? I study law. Silence. WHAT? REALLY? THATS EXTREMELY DIFFICULT, RIGHT????

If you want to do yourself a favour, travel to Mallorca, but don't go to Arenal. It's hell.

usnseallt82

Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:32 pm

El Paso.........unless you're trying to swim back over.
Crye me a river

yegmaster

Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:36 pm

I'm suppose to go to Cancun in a couple of months but i'm not sure if there is anything left.

usnseallt82

Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:39 pm

1 .. Dominican Republic.

I've been there many times and have always loved it. Some parts can be rough, but any country is like that. Overall, I've always thought it to be a great place to go.

I think whomever told you this is the same person that convinced you that Australia was bad.  no 
Crye me a river

EGGD

Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:54 pm

Benidorm/any other package holiday destination that has been packed to the rafters with hotels. I went to Lloret De Mar and that was bad enough.

aloges

Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:56 pm

I have to agree with all of you. I wouldn't want to stay at a package holiday "paradise", unless it's one of the high-class ones such as (most of?) the Maldives.

We call them "Bettenburgen" in German, "bed castles".
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

TheSorcerer

Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:56 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 7):
Ballermann 6, El Arenal, MALLE.

Or Balneario 6, S'arenal on Mallorca in Spain like the locas probably would say. I was there this year, and while Mallorca is a beautiful island, this was hell. Only football fans from embarassing bad German football clubs, supplemented by some drunk guys from the netherlands and the UK. The party song sung everywhere was "A DI A DI A DI A DI OHHHH, BEEE VAU BEEEEH, HUUUUUHRÄÄÄN SÖÖÖÖ ÖÖÖÖH NÄÄÄÄÄ" (it was implying that BVB = Dortmund football club was a bunch of sons of bitches or something like that, this describes the intellectual niveau of the holidays).

While I do not have anything against partys with lots of drunk girls , this was just disgusting. I was there with another German girl and a Canadian girl. The Canadian spoke English, French and Spanish and could not talk to anybody as these people only spoke German. Usual conversation with these people went like this: Me: Where are you from? Answer: (insert any boring place that is more than 50km away from the next city). Next question: What are you doing:
(insert a) unemployed, b) waiting for a job c) cleaning somewhere or something like this). Then I was asked: What are you doing? I study law. Silence. WHAT? REALLY? THATS EXTREMELY DIFFICULT, RIGHT????

If you want to do yourself a favour, travel to Mallorca, but don't go to Arenal. It's hell.

Ballerman is infamous among young Germans wanting to go off for a week to get wasted and get as many girls as possible. It's on the decrease though, now " der ballaton", a lake in hungary(think it's hungary) is a big target for young germans.

Maybe give that a go next time, the sonntag.

The Sorcerer

PS i hope they weren't FC bayern fans.  Wink

SlamClick

Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:04 am

Obvious if you are Peter Hurkos maybe. Why would anyone not want to go to Australia? (other than a damnably long plane ride)
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

usnseallt82

Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:08 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 14):
(other than a damnably long plane ride)

And chances are, if you're on this site, its quite enjoyable.  bigthumbsup 
Crye me a river

SlamClick

Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:17 am

. . . don't want to visit?

10. Any "resort" surrounded by a thousand miles of scorching desert.

9. Vung Tau. I supspect that the beach is still the town's toilet.

8. Belize. The city only! I'd love to spend more time out in the country.

7. Haiti. Call me a coward but . . .

6. Any of the world's famous beaches. Liked them when I was young but skin cancers have made them pretty unattractive.

5. Disney World. The city of Orlando has extorted its last toll from me. Four bits to drive the last quarter mile to the airport! Choke on it!

4. EuroDisney.

3. Miami.

2. Atlantic City

1. Las Vegas. I think it is no coincidence that at least three major works of contemporary fiction have included nuking Las Vegas as a big part of the story line.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

babybus

Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:33 am

My list still stands at:

Thailand: The thought of it makes my stomach churn.

Costa Del Sol (Spain):: Not into partying with gangsters.

Morrocco and all North Africa: :Food poisoning and poor sanitation.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

TheSonntag

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:06 am

Quoting TheSorcerer (Reply 13):
i hope they weren't FC bayern fans

Well, some of them were, but I met most of those when I stayed overnight at STN this march when they played against Arsenal London, and that was hell, as well  Wink

BR076

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:12 am

Quoting Babybus (Reply 17):

Why is that, the food?
ú

aa61hvy

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:12 am

2 .. Dubai. (Just seems to be a large shopping mall where you can't have a drink outside your hotel)

DR isn't bad. There are better places to visit, but by no means is it bad.

Dubai-I'm going there this coming summer, and I'm looking very forward to it.
Go big or go home

prosa

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:14 am

I would have to put Las Vegas very high (or is it low?) on my list. Gambling just isn't my thing. Yes, I know, there's plenty to do there other than gamble, but if it weren't for gambling those other activities wouldn't exist.

Most beach resort-type places have little interest for me. I'm not into beaches, and prefer exploring new places when travelling. A town that's basically a beach with little else just has no attraction for me.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

texan

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:19 am

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 8):
El Paso.........unless you're trying to swim back over.

If you are thinking of going on holiday in El Paso, I really, truly feel sorry for you.

As for me, places with tons of people are to be avoided. There are more than 6 million people in the area I live now, holiday is supposed to be a time to be around as few people as possible. Look for me in some remote mountainous place or a sparsely populated island.
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

TheSorcerer

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:51 am

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 18):
Well, some of them were, but I met most of those when I stayed overnight at STN this march when they played against Arsenal London, and that was hell, as well

LOL. When I was in tenerife I couldn't go anywhere apart from my hotel room to watch bayern vs juventus because all the bars showing the game were packed with bayern fans so I figured I wouldn't be very welcome.  Wink
(alle aus NRW hassen die bayern  Big grin )

The Sorcerer

usnseallt82

Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:25 am

Quoting Texan (Reply 22):
If you are thinking of going on holiday in El Paso, I really, truly feel sorry for you.

That's why it would be a place to avoid. (hint: thread title)  bigthumbsup 
Crye me a river

airxliban

Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:43 am

What the hell is wrong with Australia? Everyone I know that has been to Australia (including myself) has absolutely adored it.

The tourist destinations that don't particularly appeal to me are:
1. Hawaii (I get the impression that its overrated...and its far anyway)
2. Florida (whats so special about it anyway? If I want to swim I can go to the Caribbean which is so close anyway)
3. Orlando (Not really into disneyland...is there anything else there other than a town called Celebration?)
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

nonrevman

Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:52 am

I like the "real" places that thrive with culture, history, natural beauty, or a combination of these. Therefore, the avoid list would include:

Las Vegas
Orlando (except to bring our nephew there--the trip is for him more than for us)
Honolulu, since I have already seen it and prefer the surrounding area and islands for an adventure.

In foreign travel, I do not wish to go to places like Nigeria, Monaco, or Iraq. I am not afraid to travel to more exotic destinations, but there are better choices for me than these.

AsstChiefMark

Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:56 am

Bali -- Too much bang for the buck
Aruba -- Incompetent police
Haiti -- Who's in charge?
Cancun -- Needs remodelling

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

cxsjr

Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:01 am

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 25):

I can tell you I spent a week there in 2000 and thoroughly enjoyed it. The golf was great, the food better and the views from the top of Haleakala volcano stunning.

Key West is cool to go and chill out and I love the art deco in South Beach but I have to say, I agree with you on MCO; you can stick Orlando where there sun doesn't shine - never again in my lifetime!
The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page ....

usnseallt82

Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:21 am

Quoting Cxsjr (Reply 28):
Key West is cool to go and chill out

Not anymore.....  no 
Crye me a river

NumberTwelve

Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:34 am

What the hell is wrong with Australia? Everyone I know that has been to Australia (including myself) has absolutely adored it.

Yery true, mate! Australia is a great country, people are open minded, always fun when I had contact with them, never had problems, great nature, great beaches, hot girls, and their language (people say it's sort of English) is fun, too! AVEAGOYERMUG!
Was fun when I understood more of their "English" than a girl (teacher) from Austin, TX.

I love that country!

And the countries/areas you have on your black list, AirxLiban, are also on my black list.

Mmmmmh Dubai? It's more a Disney Land than an Arabic city. So why not going to the "real" Arabic destinations, also at Arabic golf: Qatar, Bahrain, also Oman is great destination.

Black list here:
USA
Kenya
China
Japan
signature censored by admin - so check my profile

cxsjr

Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:47 am

Quoting NumberTwelve (Reply 30):
Japan

Mind if I ask why?

NumberTwelve

Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:50 am

Quoting Cxsjr (Reply 31):
Mind if I ask why?

I can't tell you, Cxsjr, I never was interested in Japan and China. Also Japan is too expensive "just for a try".
signature censored by admin - so check my profile

cxsjr

Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:40 am

Quoting NumberTwelve (Reply 32):
Also Japan is too expensive "just for a try".

I guess it is quite a long journey from where you are! What I can tell you is that, depending on what sort of thing you like, Japan is a fantastic country. I've been twice now and it is quite the safest place I've ever been which, for a start, adds to the enjoyment.

And, in comparison to UK prices, it is in fact no more expensive to visit than, say, London or Manchester in terms of accommodation and eating costs.

One word of caution, train travel is extortionate and you must buy a rail pass before you go if you want to travel by train at a half reasonable cost.

bhmbaglock

Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:45 am

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 29):
Not anymore.....

Key West is fine. My father went down in his 414 last Thursday to check on his places and other than no power and some clean up its not bad. They should be back to full speed in another week or two.

My list(restricting it to places considered to be vacation "destinations") would include Atlantic City(Is it just me or is the population about 90% over-agressive skank hookers or old fogies?), Pigeon Forge(worse traffic than NYC among other offenses), Seattle(I like sunshine and hate coffee), etc.

I don't get Oz being an undesirable place either. I love it down there!
Where are all of my respected members going?

usnseallt82

Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:47 am

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 34):
Key West is fine.

Good, I'm glad. All I knew was that the base got slammed pretty hard and is still under water. I'm glad the rest of the city is getting back together though.
Crye me a river

Sabena332

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:00 am

Actually I have no "blacklist" of holiday destinations, of course I wouldn't travel to countries where I could get in danger. At the moment I wouldn't travel to Bali because I don't fancy to become the victim of a bunch of retarded terrorist who plant a bomb in the same disco where I enjoy my drinks.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

jwenting

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:01 am

My parents live there. It's a great place to be, but stay away from the obvious tourist areas like Benidorm.

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 16):
1. Las Vegas. I think it is no coincidence that at least three major works of contemporary fiction have included nuking Las Vegas as a big part of the story line.

Not to mention a movie that has as its title "Leaving Las Vegas"  Smile
Nice place to start a trip to the Grand Canyon or Bryce Canyon (which start from Las Vegas airports) or to stock up on water and food when passing through, other than that indeed not worth visiting.

Would love to see the nature of the archipellago, not interested in the beachlife though.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 27):
Aruba -- Incompetent police

Not the police, the justice system. That girl I personally think never died on the island, is somewhere in Colombia or Venezuela instead.
Either ran away or was kidnapped and is someone's sexslave by now (which would be why they never found a body nor any evidence linking anyone with a murder).
It's happened before, it'll happen again.

My list:
- any communist country
- France (don't like the people, remove them from the country and I'd love to go there)
- Greece (I want to visit Turkey again, and they don't allow people inside who have travelled to Greece)
- Lebanon (too risky)
- Russia (too risky)
- sub saharan Africa (too risky, especially sanitation and health risks)
- any tourist trap
I wish I were flying

Sabena332

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:06 am

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 37):
- Greece (I want to visit Turkey again, and they don't allow people inside who have travelled to Greece)

Are you sure? I have never heard of that before.

And even if it is so, you can travel to Greece just with your ID card and not with your passport, then you won't get a stamp and no immigration officer in Turkey will ever notice that you have been to Greece before.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

jwenting

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:11 am

They may have rescinded it, but it sure was in effect the last time I went to Turkey (which was some years ago).
We were even warned about it before departure and one or two of our group turned up with spanking new passports for the occasion.

Our Turkish tourguide at the time confirmed it. There are some exceptions (like ship crews and foreign labourers, who may have entered Greece but may not travel direct from Greece to Turkey) but in general the two countries still act like there's a state of war between them (which is what they've been doing for the last 5000 years, I guess old habbits die hard).
I wish I were flying

RobertNL070

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:23 am

My parents live there. It's a great place to be, but stay away from the obvious tourist areas like Benidorm

If your parents live on the Costa del Sol, then you should know that Benidorm is on the Costa Blanca.

I love the Costa del Sol, just don't go in July and August. Most of the gangsters live in the area of Marbella. My parents have a home in La Carihuela near Torremolinos. Torremolinos used to be very, very tacky. Although its still far from top-notch, it has improved a bit since it became a municipality in 1989. We try to go at least once a year with the car, staying with friends in Pau, France as a half-way point, and then two weeks alternately sunning ourselves and exploring Andalucía.

Places/countries/regions that are not high on my list:

Oceania (no offence folks, it just doesn't appeal)
(Dutch) Caribbean
Israel
Japan
Eastern Europe
All countries/regions with an extremely anti-gay attitude.

Regards, Robert  bouncy 
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

garnetpalmetto

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:31 am

Black list here:
USA

Why does this not surprise me coming from NumberTwelve, one of A.net's biggest bigots?

I'd have to go with on my black list

1) Any overpopulated/touristy spot. I'm going on vacation to ESCAPE people, not be surrounded by them

2) Any place infested with morons who subscribe to the idiotic notion that all Americans are "Ugly Americans"

3) Any place that gets too cold. As much as I'd love to see St. Petersburg, especially the Hermitage, if I were planning a trip around this time of the year, Russia would be on the outs.

The rest I'd have to judge on a case-by-case basis  Smile
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

TheSorcerer

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:45 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 36):
I don't fancy to become the victim of a bunch of retarded terrorist who plant a bomb in the same disco where I enjoy my drinks.

LOL Sabena you put it so well.
Is there still a lot of terrorist activity in Bali?
Or have the police got it under control after the Bali bombings?

The Sorcerer

Lumberton

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:55 am

1. Hawaii (I get the impression that its overrated...and its far anyway

Your impression is correct but that doesn't stop a gazillion people from going there to find out for themselves.  duck 

Black list here:
USA

Great, you're not coming then? Promise?

Been there once--20 years ago. Perth, Sydney, and Adelaide. My bags could be packed in about 5 minutes....
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

RobertNL070

Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:06 am

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 41):
with morons who subscribe to the idiotic notion that all Americans are "Ugly Americans"

Never heard of that one before. Americans are no uglier than any other nationality. I have seen some pretty ugly Dutch people abroad and I tend to give them a very wide berth.

Regards, Robert  bouncy 
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

aa757first

Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:38 am

Nassau. How does anyone go there and enjoy themselves. I went there on a cruise, and walking around I was thinking "Are we in the Bahamas or back in Miami?"

AAndrew

rossbaku

Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:15 am

1. I went to DR when I was 9 and I loved it! It was a really good climate, full of unbelievably friendly people.

2. Even though I have never been, I've heard fantastic reports about it. My granny and grandad went to GYD in September 2004 and for their anniversary my dad bought them tickets to DXB. They had a fantastic time! Also, my dad frequently holidays there and says the waterparks are fantastic! *crosses fingers* either DXB or Fiji for me next year!

3. Now this one I could rant on about for ages. Oz (again I've never been) seems like the most cosmopolitan place to live! My granny and grandad went out to see family in 2000 and again, THEY LOVED IT! I haven't heard a single bad word about Oz in my 16 years on this planet.

I went to Thailand for Xmas/New Year with my Dad's family and friends in December 2004/January 2005 (when the tsunami hit) and it was fantastic. We did 2 days in Bangkok doing the Golden Palace and other things and I really enjoyed it. We stayed at the Montien hotel and wow that was some hotel! We had, to say it lightly, 4 Executive Suites, due to my dad's business contacts in Thailand. Then on Xmas Eve we flew to HKT. That was spectacular and I'd go back in the blink of an eye!

2. Florida (what's so special about it anyway? If I want to swim I can go to the Caribbean which is so close anyway)

I liked FL when I was little, and I'd love to go back again, purely because of the theme parks. Flame me for this, but I don't like American people much though.

RossBaku

P.S.. One place I'd hate to go on holiday is France. I hear Paris is an absolute s*it hole and the people are very ignorant. They also were the primary cause for Concorde being brought from our skies so abruptly, lest we forget.

JAGflyer

Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:33 am

Any of those Caribbean places where you have to get 50 vaccines before you travel there and upon return have to have your plane totally fumigated.

Belize - I heard it's a filthy place.

[Edited 2005-10-30 23:33:51]
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

ME AVN FAN

Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:43 am

- Lebanon (too risky)

Lebanon is NOT risky at all. Have been there just two weeks ago. And in mid 2004 as well. Absolutely nice and problem-free. NO RISK AT ALL !

Nordair

Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:52 am

Palm Springs, California

Some memories just won't die.  Sad
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short