BR076
Topic Author

Hermann Goering Statement

Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:51 am

Sometimes when I've nothing better to do I read an US political discussion and always if something critical is said about the government or against the Iraq war the poster is called a damned Liberal or even communist and he/she is unpatriotic and not a true American.
It always make me think about the famous Hermann Goering statement.
any thoughts?

ú

SlamClick

RE: Hermann Goering Statement

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:03 am

Just don't try to go too far with the comparisons.

His Reich told the Germany people that their Army had been attacked by the Poles (in Poland - imagine) whereas, we are pretty sure we were attacked on 9/11. Are you saying that was just propaganda? That it didn't really happen?
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Falcon84

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:04 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 1):
His Reich told the Germany people that their Army had been attacked by the Poles (in Poland - imagine) whereas, we are pretty sure we were attacked on 9/11.

And that's why we turned around and attacked a nation that had nothing to do with 9/11, SlamClick?
Work Right, Fly Hard

SlamClick

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:10 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 2):
And that's why we turned around and attacked a nation that had nothing to do with 9/11, SlamClick?

Did I say that?

aloges

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:28 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 3):
Did I say that?

No, but BR076 didn't say a thing about 9/11 either.  Wink
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:38 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 1):
had been attacked by the Poles

and GWB-II told YOUR country that Saddam Hussein was attacking the USA !
and that S.H. had Atomic and Biological and Chemical (ABC) weapons
and that S.H. was a threat for the U.S.A.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:38 am

exactly the way in which GWB help up his "alarms" and finally talked about the danger emanating from Saddam Hussein has proven Mr Goering right

[Edited 2005-10-30 17:40:15]

ME AVN FAN

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:43 am

Did I say that?

Not really, but neither did Mr Goering. YOU however apparently felt attacked by Saddam Hussein, as you were told by GWB, exactly along to the idea of Mr Goering

Newark777

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:57 am

Quoting BR076 (Thread starter):
if something critical is said about the government or against the Iraq war the poster is called a damned Liberal or even communist and he/she is unpatriotic and not a true American.

And then people like you come along and compare the pro-war crowd to Nazis. Name-calling from the extremes from both sides; we can never have a true discussion of the matters with that kind of inflammatory posting.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

NumberTwelve

Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:05 am

BR076, thanks a lot for that comment!
This is one of the reasons why we don't always rely on that what politicians say and why we fear alot when people in a country cry for war and "patriotism" which is very very close to Racism.

Imagine: people are only counting killed people from their own nation and nobody cares how many innocent people in the invaded country have been killed/murdered. Strange, this reminds me on the "Arier" propaganda of the Nazis.

People say, the Nazis "invented" modern propaganda, and it's up to people if they realise that their governments spread lots of propaganda too or if they just follow their "leaders" (Führer) brainless as the Germans in the 30's did.

[Edited 2005-10-30 18:15:26]
signature censored by admin - so check my profile

BR076
Topic Author

Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:11 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 8):
And then people like you come along and compare the pro-war crowd to Nazis.

No I did not,

If you read what Goering said: "wether it is a democacy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parlament or a communist dictatorship"
ú

Scorpio

Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:32 am

He did no such thing. Read what Goering said again: the technique has been used by all sorts of regimes, both democracies and dictatorships. It just happened to be a Nazi who said it.

bhmbaglock

Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:48 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 5):

I don't believe this is true. If I'm not mistaken, he told us that Saddam wanted to attack the US

and that S.H. had Atomic and Biological and Chemical (ABC) weapons

Atomic - no, he said that Saddam was trying to acquire these - do you think this is false?

B & C - GWB was hardly alone in this opinion. Would it have been wise to take chances with a psycho like this who has demonstrated multiple times that he has no problem with possessing or using such?

Clearly true.

Quoting NumberTwelve (Reply 9):
Imagine: people are only counting killed people from their own nation and nobody cares how many innocent people in the invaded country have been killed/murdered. Strange, this reminds me on the "Arier" propaganda of the Nazis.

So, you think that the lack of body counts for the enemy is because we are Nazis and not because we are trying to avoid repeating the farce that body counts during Vietnam became?

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 11):
You KNOW this is going to turn ugly when the serious Rightards wake up and start frothing...

No, it got ugly when you popped in with your inane name calling.
Where are all of my respected members going?

L-188

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:14 am

Remember it was Goering that also said that Americans know how to build washing machines and refridgerators but they don't know how to build airplanes.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Falcon84

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:18 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 4):
Did I say that?

No, but BR076 didn't say a thing about 9/11 either.

Thanks you. Shows the paranoia, scared mentality of some Americans, that even when 9/11 isn't mentioned, it's brought up, outside the context of what was alluded to.
Work Right, Fly Hard

racko

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:34 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 19):
Remember it was Goering that also said that Americans know how to build washing machines and refridgerators but they don't know how to build airplanes.

As if the topic wasn't hot enough, you have to bring A vs. B into the discussion.  Wink

Popcorn anybody?

SlamClick

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:39 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 20):
Thanks you. Shows the paranoia, scared mentality of some Americans, that even when 9/11 isn't mentioned, it's brought up, outside the context of what was alluded to.

Okay folks it is the height of spineless hypocrisy to pretend that the thread starter wasn't referring to the US and the present administration in particular.

Sometimes when I've nothing better to do I read an US political discussion and always if something critical is said about the government or against the Iraq war the poster is called a damned Liberal or even communist and he/she is unpatriotic and not a true American.
any thoughts?

So unless someone can name a war that the US is involved in . . .

Just a little character please, a little integrity. Admit that the thread-starter started it.

dl021

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:45 am

This is just like when people compare the quotes from Hitler on gun control with the anti-gun crowd who are trying to ban and then collect all the legally owned firearms. Only less accurate. (This is how flamefests are started)

Quoting NumberTwelve (Reply 17):
Is it "only" ugly or inadequate because not true? Ugly but true is ok, I think, as long as we get such "bad" names like "LIBERAL" lol

It's ugly because it's comparing the people who support the war on terror, and believe that the war in Iraq is being fought against terrorists, to Nazis. It's disengenuous to pretend that anything else was meant. It's also a surefire way to generate some nasty namecalling.

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 22):
Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 20):

Okay folks it is the height of spineless hypocrisy to pretend that the thread starter wasn't referring to the US and the present administration in particular.

true.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

VC-10

Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:08 am

It's an interesting quote.

He didn't.

TheSorcerer

Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:16 am

Quoting NumberTwelve (Reply 9):
brainless as the Germans in the 30's did

Germany's economy was in terrible condition in the 30s and Hitler looked like a possibility to get them out off that depression, when they realized what he was doing it was too late.

The Sorcerer
ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

NoUFO

Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:45 am

Quoting TheSorcerer (Reply 25):
when they realized what he was doing it was too late.

Exactly that is the "brainless" part. I'm not so arrogant to claim that, under the given circumstances, I would have never ever supported Hitler's party (I can only hope I would have been about as liberal as I am today), but voters could have known very well what Hitler's policies were aiming to. If you want to read a good book on that, try "Defying Hitler: A Memoir" by Sebastian Haffner.

BTW: "Only" 40 or 42 percent of the Germans voted for Hitler's NSDAP. Not enough to bring him to power.
I support the right to arm bears

NoUFO

Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:55 am

Post Scriptum: If anyone actually considers buying a copy of Mr. Haffner's book, make sure it contains the chapter about Haffner's stay at Camp Juetterborg. This chapter - in my opinion by far the best - was later found and is not included in older issues.
I support the right to arm bears

L-188

Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:03 am

Quoting Racko (Reply 21):
As if the topic wasn't hot enough, you have to bring A vs. B into the discussion.

I think it was a Kelly Johnson vs. Kurt Tank argument back then Big grin
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

dl021

Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:16 am

Quoting TheSorcerer (Reply 25):
Germany's economy was in terrible condition in the 30s and Hitler looked like a possibility to get them out off that depression, when they realized what he was doing it was too late.

His platform that blamed Jews was not acceptable as a price for economic recovery. He played on an accepted prejudice and then took it farther.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Thumper3181

Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:07 am

any thoughts?

Yeah, what is the point you are trying to make?

ME AVN FAN

Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:11 am

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 11):
going to turn ugly

aren't they ugly anyway ?  duck 

ME AVN FAN

Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:12 am

Quoting Oldeuropean (Reply 12):
believers in GWBs government

"believers" ? rather ADDICTS !

ME AVN FAN

Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:15 am

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 18):
he told us that Saddam wanted to attack the US

just another MIS-information --- he never did

ME AVN FAN

Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:16 am

Saddam was trying to acquire these - do you think this is false?

no, S.H. did have a program for that reason in the 80ies. But your president talked as if that program had survived 1991, which was NOT the case

ME AVN FAN

Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:23 am

Would it have been wise to take chances with a psycho like this who has demonstrated multiple times that he has no problem with possessing or using such?

the point is that it would have been possible to topple S.H., a leader most unpopular among the military leaders, through the secret service. To choose an "open" invasion can hardly be explained by "spreading democracy". But worst in fact is that is was lousily planned

S.H. was a threat for the U.S.A.
Clearly true.

the worthy gentleman WAs a danger to the whole region but NOT to either USA or UK

MDorBust

Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:43 am

Ummm... who is GWB-II?
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

Falcon84

Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:44 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 36):
Ummm... who is GWB-II?

Stop playing lame-brain. You know who he is referring to.
Work Right, Fly Hard

MDorBust

Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:01 am

No no.

If we are going to suffer another thread of poorly educated rants, I insist that names of the purported offenders at least be correct.

We are so far beyond Goodwin's law here that there might at least be some pretense at rational thought.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

bhmbaglock

Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:58 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 35):
the point is that it would have been possible to topple S.H., a leader most unpopular among the military leaders, through the secret service. To choose an "open" invasion can hardly be explained by "spreading democracy". But worst in fact is that is was lousily planned

The Secret Service is not equipped or trained for this mission nor would they be legally allowed to engage in such work. Perhaps you are thinking of the CIA? If so, they have been so thoroughly gutted over the last 3-4 decades that it is doubtful that this would have been feasible. Remember, it takes more than getting rid of Saddam; you need some assurance that the replacement won't be worse.

I think the "open invasion" is clearly "spreading democracy". A vote in Afghanistan or Iraq is worth more now than at any time I can remember in the past. Agree that the planning regarding occupation was poor, maybe we should have left it to the French.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 35):
the worthy gentleman WAs a danger to the whole region but NOT to either USA or UK

1. Not a gentleman by any definition
2. The "gentleman" was paying the families of suicide bombers in Israel. Do you really think that he would have been above doing the same for bombers attacking the US or UK? Sure we could have left him alone and probably not worried about such but would this have been morally correct? I don't think so.

Thumper3181

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:48 pm

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 39):
2. The "gentleman" was paying the families of suicide bombers in Israel. Do you really think that he would have been above doing the same for bombers attacking the US or UK? Sure we could have left him alone and probably not worried about such but would this have been morally correct? I don't think so.

Well said. I notice the silence is deafening.

jcs17

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:52 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 2):

That is actually still in question. There have been a number of reports linking the 9/11 terrorists, in one way or another to Iraq. No one would say that Saddam actually ordered 9/11, but there are reports that he did help.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Falcon84

Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:02 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 41):
That is actually still in question. There have been a number of reports linking the 9/11 terrorists, in one way or another to Iraq. No one would say that Saddam actually ordered 9/11, but there are reports that he did help.

Actually, it's no in queston, except among the fantasts of the right like yourself, Jcs. It's never been proven; there's no link, no proof, and even the White House gave up on that red herring months and months ago.

Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. It's just another convenient lie for someone like yourself to embrace an unjust war against a nation that didn't threaten anyone.
Work Right, Fly Hard

ME AVN FAN

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:32 pm

Quoting Thumper3181 (Reply 40):

A) When asleep in bed I am usually "silent" !
B) The "gentleman" was of course NOT meant literally
C) If I agree in one point than it is that something had to be done

ME AVN FAN

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:39 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 41):
No one would say that Saddam actually ordered 9/11, but there are reports that he did help

what you call "reports" all came from the same source, the US-government, and were rather rumours. Mrs Thatcher back in 1990 gave three valid reasons to topple Saddam :
A) the man was an inhumane tyrant
B) the man was routinely slaughtering people inside his country
C) the man was a danger to the region
- there was NO reason A) to talk about ABC weapons, even if he DID have such ambitions, B) to link him to 11Sep01 , C) to link him to el-Qaeda
-
and there was no reason A) to establish a colonial governor, instead of an interim president B) to dissolve the Socialist Party of the Arab Reawakening (Ba'ath), which was NOT a creature of Saddam (so it was only necessary to "clean" the party of some Saddam loyalists) , C) to dissolve the armed forces and the police (same as above, as most of the army hated Saddam) -- --- and D) to court and support and encourage the conservative clerics

stall

Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:23 pm

Clearly true.

No

If the Pentagon could provide evidence of this they would have done it to get rid of all critisim about Iraq invasion.
Flying is fun

bhmbaglock

Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:43 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 40):
and there was no reason A) to establish a colonial governor, instead of an interim president

To an American this is a highly offensive statement. We are not repeat not colonizing Iraq. Nor are we colonizing Afghanistan.

B) to dissolve the Socialist Party of the Arab Reawakening (Ba'ath), which was NOT a creature of Saddam (so it was only necessary to "clean" the party of some Saddam loyalists)

You sound like you admire this bunch. What's up with that? I hope this is not truly the case. Leaving this organization intact would be akin to occupying post WWII Germany and wrapping our arms around the Nazi party while singing Cumbaya. I don't dispute that many of the members are no more believers than many Communist party members in the Soviet bloc and should be allowed to participate in the government. However, we should not leave the organization intact.

C) to dissolve the armed forces and the police (same as above, as most of the army hated Saddam)

I think that everybody including the US military ackknowledge that this policy was a mistake.

D) to court and support and encourage the conservative clerics

The majority of the population is Shi'ite. Would we be smart to ignore them? This sounds like Saddam's policy.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:47 am

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 42):
majority of the population is Shi'ite

the majority of the Shi'ites are secularists and NOT fundamentalists. There was no reason to favour the clerics, to the disadvantage of the population in general

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 42):
this bunch

this bunch was and is the "Socialist Party of the Arab Reawakening", founded by Michel Aflaq in Syria, or rather its Iraqi subsidiary. About three parties now in parliament in Baghdad are in fact sections of that party in disguise. The Ba'ath is a sister-party of the A.S.U./NationalDemocraticParty in Egypt, the FLN in Algeria, the N�o-Destour in Tunisia, the Socialist Party in Morocco and the Labour Party in Britain as well as the Social Democrats on the European Continent. The Ba'ath has absolutely no similarity with the NSDAP in Nazi-Germany .

SlamClick

Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:14 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 45):
Oh sure. Those poor poor US-Americans always innocently targetted. I will be in tears very shortly !

Well, I told you what I thought of you and your country but it got deleted by a European moderator. So much for a level playing field.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:56 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 46):
it got deleted

let me make ONE thing completely clear, and that is that I did N O T ask anybody to delete your posting. And I replied to your posting without anything. Not least as some parts of your statement were not far from the mark. I anyway do not care too much about criticizm against Switzerland, as I am used to much harsher things about ........................

ME AVN FAN

Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:58 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 46):
what I thought of you

there of course is the unfortunate aspect that many US-Americans apparently originate from that village where people are always right

SlamClick

Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:57 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 48):
there of course is the unfortunate aspect that many US-Americans apparently originate from that village where people are always right

Then of course there is that little Alpine village that speaks only in irony.

bhmbaglock

Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:19 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 43):
the majority of the Shi'ites are secularists and NOT fundamentalists. There was no reason to favour the clerics, to the disadvantage of the population in general

It's true that most are secularists. They clearly appreciate a chance for democracy. Engagement of the fundamentalists is also a good idea. They don't have the numbers to affect elections greatly and there is no risk of an Iranian style theocracy as a result. Isolate them and you run the risk of opening a second internal front in the war.

Considering the current Ba'ath tactic of moving towards becoming an Islamic party for the purpose of recruiting bombing dummies and money from outside Iraq, engagement of the religious minority of Iraq in a positive manner.

this bunch was and is the "Socialist Party of the Arab Reawakening", founded by Michel Aflaq in Syria, or rather its Iraqi subsidiary. About three parties now in parliament in Baghdad are in fact sections of that party in disguise. The Ba'ath is a sister-party of the A.S.U./NationalDemocraticParty in Egypt, the FLN in Algeria, the N�o-Destour in Tunisia, the Socialist Party in Morocco and the Labour Party in Britain as well as the Social Democrats on the European Continent.

I know the long drawn out name for "this bunch" and I also know who Aflaq was. It doesn't matter to me who they are or what they call themselves, I see nothing good in this party. Aflaq was an idealist who wanted to implement two bad ideas: socialism and pan-Arabism. In the end, he was a dupe for totalitarian dictators and ironically as a proponent of free speech saw it denied to all including himself.

btw, I don't think Tony Blair would appreciate being called a Ba'athist.

The Ba'ath has absolutely no similarity with the NSDAP in Nazi-Germany .

I was not equating the Nazi and Ba'ath parties but merely drawing a moral parallel between them. But, if you would like me to compare them, here are a few significant similarities:

Secular or nominally secular socialist parties
Both fanned nationalistic fires to gain power and then moved towards military dictatorship
Unprovoked takeovers of neighboring countries
Genocides inflicted on sub-classes of their own country using torture and chemical weapons
Looting of conquered countries
Corrupt leaders robbing the people of vast sums of money and goods and hiding them all over the world

I'm sure I can think of more if you would like.

SFOMEX

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:04 pm

To compare the Bush administration with the Nazi regime is just out of proportion. Period.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

Falcon84

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:09 pm

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 47):
To compare the Bush administration with the Nazi regime is just out of proportion. Period.

In your opinion. There are some who compare the two, and are dead serious. I think it's stretch, but to a lot of people around the world, who never dealt with Hitler, they'll make the comparison.
Work Right, Fly Hard

B744F

Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:40 pm

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 47):

its more along the lines of rushing a country into an unjust war for conquest with lies and blind patriotism. Who knows what the future will bring? The past atrocities of the CIA and their henchmen who supported Nazi-est regimes does not go over well with the world population who were taught these truths from day 1.

Quoting Thumper3181 (Reply 34):
Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 39):

So what if Saddam gave money to Palestinian terrorists? If giving money is a good excuse to go to war with said country, when do we attack Saudi Arabia, who invented the whole funding of suicide bombers AND funded 9-11 and Al Qaueda to begin with?

Afghanistan had nothing to do with 9-11, neither did the Taliban. The only thing they did was allow Al-Qaueda to operate inside their country. But again, if we are going to use THAT as a criteria for war, when do we attack Saudi Arabia and Pakistan? Oh, they are our trusted great allies you say?