geoffm

TomTom 500 Or Other SatNav?

Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:06 am

TomTom always gets good reviews - but are other Sat Nav systems just as good, if not better?

I'm looking at the TomTom Go 500. Halford sell it for £449 which includes 6 months TomTom Plus subscription (though looking at the TomTom website, there are various different subscriptions so I don't know which one). Dixons do it for £429 with no subscription.

[UK-specific] How good is the traffic alert system? Major roads only? No, I'm not expecting it to tell me when my neighbour is blocking the road (again), but is it just motorways, or A roads as well, or trunk routes as well, B roads... Can you download any data for free (legally) - I mean are there sources that provide their own data in TomTom format)?

Any other comments, tips, hints, recommendations welcomed.

Cheers

Geoff M.

MYT332

RE: TomTom 500 Or Other SatNav?

Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:09 am

Sorry this isn't going to be much use but can somebody quickly explain TomTom. I mean I know it's a GPS device/software thing but how does the subscription work? I ask becuase we have GPS intigrated with our 5 series but the only thing we can update is the DVD every year with the new maps?

Alex
One Life, Live it.

geoffm

Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:18 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 1):
Sorry this isn't going to be much use but can somebody quickly explain TomTom

From what I know: TomTom Go (specifically with the "Go" suffix") is a complete unit (GPS and SatNav) which works out of the box. It's not a PDA. You can buy TomTom software to run on your PDA, which is what sounds like you've got.

Geoff M.

MYT332

Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:24 am

Ahh thanks for the info.

Quoting Geoffm (Reply 2):
which is what sounds like you've got.

Well we have iDrive, it came new with the car. However, a few friends, like Dazultra from this site, have a PDA with TomTom on it. It's pretty good.

Anyway I'll leave your thread be now.  Wink
One Life, Live it.

dazultra

Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:53 am

I have the PDA version of TomTom, and not sure how well the traffic alert system works, but you can download a free database of speed cameras from www.pocketgpsworld.com and TomTom will then warn you when you're approaching a camera (perfectly legal btw), very useful addon i've found  Wink

Overall as a sat nav system though it's really good  yes