MSYtristar
Topic Author

More Amtrak Service Restored To Gulf South

Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:02 am

I'll be on the inagural westbound run from NOL to LAX as a show of support for Amtrak.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...am2Copy&cid=1093554023199&ssid=180

This is good news for Houston as well, which will see its first Amtrak service since 8/27. It amazes me that the 4th largest city in America only sees six-times-weekly Amtrak service. If the government was pro-rail, they would remedy this. But they are not, so they won't.

Rj111

RE: More Amtrak Service Restored To Gulf South

Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:57 am

Does anyone actually use Amtrak for business travelling, i assume it's all just tourism.

N1120A

Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:08 am

Quoting Rj111 (Reply 1):

Does anyone actually use Amtrak for business travelling, i assume it's all just tourism.

Actually, in the Northeast and Southern California Corridors, Amtrak and related train lines are rather heavily used by business travellers.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ANCFlyer

Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:19 pm

Quoting Rj111 (Reply 1):

Alireza is quite correct.

I rarely travelled by plane between DC and PHL or NYC. It just didn't make sense. I could get a Business Class seat on Amtrak for a fraction of the airfare, and have a 10th the hassle . . . no get to the airport early, no in flight delay, no waiting for traffic at LGA, no cab into town, none of the hassles associated with US Air or Delta Shuttle. . . . quieter too. And not a lot more time all things considered.

The only way to go in the Northeast.  thumbsup 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Thumper3181

Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:09 pm

I could not agree more ANC. I travel up and down the NE corridor on a fairly regular basis and Amtrak is my first choice. Problem lately is that the trains are often sold out.

modernArt

Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:17 pm

Are you sure Houston hasn't seen Amtrak service since August. I could have sworn I heard the distinctive P32 (isn't that's what on the point?) horn just the other night (live about 1/2 mile south of the Sunset's route through Houston).

I would take Amtrak to S.A. if it weren't for the lousy times and the unpredictable nature of the service. It looks the like they've really altered the eastbound timing. It used to arrive downtown Houston around 11 a.m.

ANCFlyer

Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:21 pm

Quoting ModernArt (Reply 5):
Are you sure Houston hasn't seen Amtrak service since August. I could have sworn I heard the distinctive P32 (isn't that's what on the point?) horn just the other night (live about 1/2 mile south of the Sunset's route through Houston).

A quick glance at www.amtrak.com will confirm this . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND