Superfly
Topic Author

Anybody Drink Cold Duck?

Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:12 am

Cold Duck is a type of champagne consisting of burgundy wine instead of the usual white wine.
This was a popular drink back in the 1970s and was the champagne of choice among most pimps. Back then there were several Cold Duck manufactures but today, the only one that I know of is by Andre which is an economy brand.
The only Cold Duck retailers today are found at fine purveyors of wine & spirits in inner-cities across America.  Smile
OK I’ve sugarcoated that part as much as I could. It’s a ghetto street wine! Big grin
I have to go in to the rough parts of town to find it. What I don’t understand is that the brand Andre is sold at every grocery store. Only there Brut and Extra Dry is found at every grocery store but the liquor stores in the rough parts of town has many other flavors of Andre including Cold Duck.

I am not a fan of champagne but I’ll drink it if there is nothing else to drink. I like red wines so the Cold Duck is OK but I just don’t understand why it has such a bad reputation.

For those who remember the TV show Bob Newhart, there was a character that would show up to the party with a bottle of Cold Duck. Same thing on the TV show In Living Color. The pimp named Frenchie would show up to exclusive parties with a bottle of Cold Duck.
It was hilarious! Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

FlyingTexan

RE: Anybody Drink Cold Duck?

Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:25 am

No Martini & Rossi Asti Spumante for you?

I'll have to pick up a magnum of Cold Duck next time I'm in a questionable part of town (later today).  Wink
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

Matt D

Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:29 am

That's good stuff. I wish I could fine it here in Orange County. Even a box of Zambini will do in a pinch as will a 6-pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Just kidding on that one. That beer tastes like piss water.

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:29 am

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 1):
No Martini & Rossi Asti Spumante for you?

Nah!

I'd never buy champagne for myself. Just give me beer, red wine or cocktails.
Cold Duck is only comes in the standard 750ml wine bottles. No magnums.
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:32 am

Matt D:
Have you tried the city of Santa Ana?
I was suprised to see that Orange County has a ghetto.
Bring back the Concorde

aloges

Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:34 am

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 1):
Martini & Rossi Asti Spumante

spit 

Confess, who drinks that stuff?
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

BCAInfoSys

Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:37 am

Argh! I will admit to having tried it once. It is pretty foul. It was on sale for $2.95 or $3.95 (can't remember) at my fine local liquor store here in my seasonal ghetto of Logan, Utah. Never again. I'll stick to Yellow Tail Shiraz and other assorted reds, thanks.  Big grin
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

Matt D

Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:41 am

I guess I could try Santa Ana and parts of Anaheim, as well anywhere along Harbor Blvd south of the 22. Those areas are pretty seedy. They should have it.

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:42 am

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 6):
ghetto of Logan, Utah

Somehow those words just don't go together. I am shocked that this is sold in Utah. Yellow Tail isn't a sparkling wine/champagne.
Give me the Charles Shaw!  Cool
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:56 am

Matt D:
It's interesting that you brought up Pabst Blue Ribbon in this thread.
10 years ago, no one 'hip' would be caught dead drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon but now it's popular with hipsters.
My mission is to do the same with Cold Duck.
I am going to start a Cold Duck revival.
Bring back the Concorde

Matt D

Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:00 am

Well you do that. I've already got the reel to reel revival thread going.

BCAInfoSys

Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:27 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 8):
Yellow Tail isn't a sparkling wine/champagne.

I know it's not. That's precisely the point. For some reason, champagne doesn't do it for me unless it's New Year's or something. I'll just stick to red wine and I'll be happy.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 8):
Somehow those words just don't go together.

Oh, believe me, Logan is the alcohol ghetto of the world. Can you believe I have to suffer in a university town where kegs are illegal (have to drive the 20 minutes to Idaho to get them), and the beer bought locally is limited to 3.2% alcohol? It's a god damn travesty. You have to drink like 6-8 beers to even get a buzz going. It's sad. When I'm in Utah, beer is relegated to chasing/washing down duties only. When I'm home in Washington, I mainly drink beer. But when I'm in Hell (read: UT), I mainly stick to tequila with a beer chaser. Oh the things we drunks do to get our drink on...  Sad

alcregular

Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:31 am

Quoting Superfly (Thread starter):

I am not a fan of champagne but I’ll drink it if there is nothing else to drink

This is the first fign of an alcoholic, lol. Have you been searching the back of the drinks cabinet, Larry?
Why drive when you can fly?

srbmod

Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:52 am

Quoting Superfly (Thread starter):

Taking me back to my underage drinking days there. Was throwing a party at a friend's place (It was an unofficial college department party, and since I was the President of the club that the department had, I was the defacto host), they were going to the store to pick up some stuff, gave them $10 and they picked me up a bottle Andre Brut and a bottle of the Duck. Drank both bottles, and was fine in the morning; the hangover hit me that next morning. Since then, I stick with champagne/sparkling wine that doesn't have a plastic cork (I haven't bought any in awhile, I'm thinking about picking up some Prosecco.)

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:09 am

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 11):
Oh, believe me, Logan is the alcohol ghetto of the world

Can you buy 7 days a week there?

Quoting Alcregular (Reply 12):
This is the first sign of an alcoholic, lol.

No I don't go to those meetings! Big grin
I am just a drinker.

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 13):
Since then, I stick with champagne/sparkling wine that doesn't have a plastic cork

As of 2005, Andre no longer uses corks. They have resorted to cheep twist off tops.  Sad
That sucks because I can no long fool dates in to thinking that Cold Duck is a rare high-end wine not found in stores.  Wink
Bring back the Concorde

BCAInfoSys

Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:34 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 14):
Can you buy 7 days a week there?

Nope. Only place to get booze on Sundays is in a bar/restaurant. The liquor store is closed and the grocery store doesn't sell beer on sunday. It's pretty pathetic.

[Edited 2005-11-03 22:34:29]

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:37 am

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 15):
Nope. Only place to get booze on Sundays is in a bar/restaurant. The liquor store is closed and the grocery store doesn't sell beer on sunday. It's pretty pathetic.

Do you have to live there?
How long is this programn you are in?
Bring back the Concorde

BCAInfoSys

Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:40 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 16):
Do you have to live there?
How long is this programn you are in?

This is my final year in this hell hole. I went to school here for family reasons and because it's uber-cheap. Thankfully, I'm a senior and should be graduating (hopefully!) in the spring. So in May, I can move back to SEA full-time and resume my full-strength alcoholism.  bigthumbsup 

By the way fly, I'm going to be in SFO for New Year's Eve with my good friend WindowSeat. Have talked to Aerobalance and he may come up from SoCal. I've already got my tickets. 12/31 - 1/3, SEA-OAK-SEA. Was hopin I could meet up with ya and buy ya a drink one of those days. Whatdya say?  Smile

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:47 am

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 17):
I've already got my tickets. 12/31 - 1/3, SEA-OAK-SEA. Was hopin I could meet up with ya and buy ya a drink one of those days. Whatdya say?

I am down!
Sounds like a plan!
I've been meaning to meet up with WindowSeat too. We could have crossed paths and didn't know it.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

9VSPO

Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:47 am

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 17):
I can move back to SEA full-time and resume my full-strength alcoholism.

Isn't that what college is all about......and shagging?
 yes 

greasespot

Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:54 am

It used to be called Baby Duck up here....I was to young to really know but i remember my parents drinking it...
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

aa61hvy

Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:00 am

Andre is awesome. Bottle of the normal Andre is like $5
Go big or go home

BCAInfoSys

Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:07 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 18):
I am down!
Sounds like a plan!
I've been meaning to meet up with WindowSeat too. We could have crossed paths and didn't know it.

Nice. I figured a lush like you wouldn't turn down some free booze!  Wink

So speaking of the big night.. do you know of any happenin parties that we could hit up? What's the best way to ring in the New Year for a bunch of alcoholic straight guys in a city (SFO) they don't know?  Big grin

If Tony comes up we'll have to go trollin' for skank. That's always a good time. I figure with 3 A.net superpowers like ourselves, we'd create a legend. Did you read our escapades lovingly entitled "Skankless in Seattle"?

If not, I'll provide the link. It's a good read that ends up with me getting some "Monkey Love" from another man on a store's plate glass window.  rotfl 

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:08 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 19):

Well if your smart and don't get married, the shagging continues well after college to!  bigthumbsup 

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 21):
Andre is awesome. Bottle of the normal Andre is like $5

Agreed!
I've tasted expensive champagne before and I hardly can tell the difference from Andre. I'll spend the extra money for quality beer, rum, vodka and gin.
For wine it's Charles Shaw and Carlo Rossi. Big grin
An-225 (Alex) has brought over some good Communist wines from the former USSR. That's some good stuff.  Cool
Bring back the Concorde

BCAInfoSys

Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:09 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 19):

Well my drinking is well known. And if you have any questions about my "frighteningly high number of sexual partners", you can ask ScarlotHarlot. I'm not particularly proud of my skeletons, but hey; you do what you know best. And for me, that means drinking and f*cking. They're my favorite pasttimes! (As well as most others I suspect, ha!)  Big grin

BCAInfoSys

Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:10 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 23):
and gin.

You sick bastard! You've just come down a peg. How can you drink that shite?! It's almost as bad as bourbon. I can't think of too many things worse then Jim Beam or Beefeater's Gin.  yuck 

9VSPO

Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:13 am

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 25):
but hey; you do what you know best.

You are now added to my RR list lol!
 Wink

ScarletHarlot

Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:31 am

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 24):
And if you have any questions about my "frighteningly high number of sexual partners", you can ask ScarlotHarlot.

Dammit, dude, are you trying to get me in trouble here?  Wink
But that was when I ruled the world

9VSPO

Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:37 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 27):
Dammit, dude, are you trying to get me in trouble here?

So this thread has gone from talking about wine to the number of sexual partners BCAInfoSys has had. This is so funny! So come on BCAInfoSys spill the beans!

TNboy

Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:41 am

I haven't drunk Cold Duck since I was about 18. In those days I would take a bottle to a party, and then drink everyone else's beer. That was about all it was good for. Nothing wrong with gin, incidentally! Wasn't it called "Mother's Ruin" in the UK?
Cheers
Bill
"...every aircraft is subtly different.."

BCAInfoSys

Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:00 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 28):
So this thread has gone from talking about wine to the number of sexual partners BCAInfoSys has had. This is so funny! So come on BCAInfoSys spill the beans!

Oh Lord almighty. And just for the record, April is not one of them. I realized that may have been implied. Sadly, no. She is just a confidant.

And to be honest, I've lost count. But it's been ~20 +/- in the last 3-odd years. (Actually, now that I come to think of it, I'm coming up on my 4-year date. I was 18, and I lost it just a few days after Christmas, like Dec 27 or 28th. So in Dec it will be 4 years. Weird.)

My worst streak was 3 new girls in a week. So for me, 20 or 25 or whatever it is is not that many. But for some reason April thinks I'm a "slut puppy".

[Edited 2005-11-04 00:04:20]

BCAInfoSys

Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:36 am

I love how tales of my sexual escapades always bring threads to an abrupt halt. There's a great visual, my white ass on some skank.  yuck   rotfl 

GuitrThree

Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:21 am

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 25):
How can you drink that shite?! It's almost as bad as bourbon. I can't think of too many things worse then Jim Beam or Beefeater's Gin.

I guess then you can stick to your Seagrams sour-apple wine coolers or other big league drinks like that! Just be careful not to drink all 4 bottles in the same night!  biggrin 

Wanna try something good? Add a half pint of Jim Beam 7 year to a frozen Coke flavored Icee from the local convenience store, or a Sonic Route 44 Limeade filled with a few shots of gin. Both will knock your socks off... UMMMM..
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

BCAInfoSys

Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:36 am

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 32):
I guess then you can stick to your Seagrams sour-apple wine coolers or other big league drinks like that! Just be careful not to drink all 4 bottles in the same night!

No thanks. I'm not limp-wristed like that. My main drink is tequila (El Jimador or Tradicional are my favorites), and I'm also a bit of a beer snob. Pyramid Ales make a great Apricot Ale as well as the world's best Hefewizen. Mac & Jack's is a pretty damned good African Amber Ale as well.

I drink vodka or rum mixed drinks occasionally. But I'll usually stick to tequila, beer, and the occasional Jaeger.  bigthumbsup 

Superfly
Topic Author

Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:50 am

Quoting TNboy (Reply 29):
In those days I would take a bottle to a party, and then drink everyone else's beer.

Smart move!  Smile

I need gin for my Tom Collins.
That is collins mix & gin.
It's nice to drink those when listening to my Ray Conniff reel to reel tapes.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:24 am

I am really suprised to see this many Cold Duck fans on this site.  Cool
Bring back the Concorde

andz

Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:48 am

We have 5th Avenue Cold Duck here, it is pink and fizzy, liquid panty remover when applied to the right woman...

You can buy it in the UK for about 9 quid a bottle but it is only 2 pounds here.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:07 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 36):
We have 5th Avenue Cold Duck here, it is pink and fizzy, liquid panty remover when applied to the right woman...

Cool.  Cool
Bring back the Concorde

An-225

Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:17 am

I'd like to try it. By the way, next time I'm in SFO, I'll bring some more wine and champagne too.

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:57 am

An-225:
Think you can make it for New Years?
We're rounding up some A.net members to come out and raise hell.
Bring back the Concorde

An-225

Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:59 pm

Can't guarantee anything, Larry, but I'll try.

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

comorin

Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:12 pm

Cold Duck time? Must be the age of Aquarius again Smile

I recommend Lambrusco as an upgrade path...

Traindriver

Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:52 pm

Cold Duck, Lambrusco what's next, Boone's Farm apple wine?
Growing up in NYC in the 60's we must have drank every cheap
wine and booze ever bottled. I'm glad I survived that period
in my life.

vaporlock

Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:25 pm

Years ago I used to drink "Cold Duck" but it was made by Jordan Wines. It was good stuff....they also made another good wine called "Baby Duck"...too bad they went out of business.

My favorite wine is "Ice Wine".....

Colio Vidal

The superb Vidal Icewine is crisp offering the taste of ripe fruit initially, then developing into sensations of layers of fresh apricot, raisins and pear. This Icewine has excellent structure and a fine balance offering a lingering finish.

Phyllis  bouncy 

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:59 am

Quoting Traindriver (Reply 42):
Lambrusco what's next, Boone's Farm apple wine?

Nah, that's for teen aged girls! Big grin

Vaporlock:
That's cool.  Cool
Are there any other Cold Ducks in Canada besides Andre?
Bring back the Concorde

Matt D

Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:31 am

I found a cheesy little liquor store in Anaheim that carries it. I stocked up and bought a case of it.

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:36 am

Quoting Matt D (Reply 45):
I stocked up and bought a case of it.

Whoa be careful there!
Cold Duck is not a fast item to move off the shelf. It can expire. A good way to find out if it's good or bad duck is if you turn the bottle upside down and see if there is any purple stains stuck to the glass.
I got burned like this last summer.

Is the lettering in the current block style font or is it in cursive?
If it's in cursive, that is a very old bottle and should be thrown away.
Bring back the Concorde

Matt D

Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:38 am

They are exactly as shown in the original picture. I'll have to do the tip test though. Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about possibly handing out some bottles for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas.

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:43 am

Quoting Matt D (Reply 47):
I was thinking about possibly handing out some bottles for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas.

LOL!!  rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Do you not want to be invited back to any other gatherings?

I did show up to a party a few months ago with a bottle of Cold Duck. It was my buddies place so it didn't matter. Funny thing was that his girlfriend guzzled it down in less than 15 minutes. Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

Matt D

Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:45 am

Why not? Isn't Cold Duck good stuff or do only oddballs like you and I drink it?