whitehatter

No Insurance? Crushed Car!

Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:16 am

Started earlier yesterday (Tuesday) around these parts.

The local plod have new powers to snatch cars which are uninsured, and unless the driver turns up pronto with papers to prove it then the car gets the mechanical hug of death and turned into a block of scrap steel the size of a coffee table.

It's done by a new system which is installed in a police car at the side of the road. Numberplates are read and compared to a database supplied by insurers, and if it comes back as not having insurance then the driver gets stopped. Over 130 cars so far in just one day were seized, with over 30 people arrested for related offences.

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/me...1094_camera_threat_to_drivers.html

Good. I'm effing well sick of paying thirty quid a year extra on top of my insurance bill to compensate people for the damage uninsured drivers do.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

ANCFlyer

RE: No Insurance? Crushed Car!

Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:35 am

Good - uninsured motorists have no business driving. I don't care if the vehicle is new . . . insure the damn thing. I agree with Whitehatter - I'm tired of paying extra $$$ for protecting myself against the moron that doesn't insure him/herself.

I wish Alaska would enforce their insurance laws in a similar fashion.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

FLYtoEGCC

Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:57 am

About time too. Despite the new legislation, I did fear that it would never come into practice because of the authorities' obsession with speed cameras and the consequent lack of Police patrols. It's nice to see something is being done about it at last.
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

redngold

Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:58 am

Here in Ohio if you are pulled over and can't show proof of insurance, you don't drive home. Your car gets towed from the spot.

redngold
Up, up and away!

F9Widebody

Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:10 am

Good. Plenty tired of idiots not paying for insurance.

Quoting WhiteHatter (Thread starter):
the car gets the mechanical hug of death and turned into a block of scrap steel the size of a coffee table.

Didn't see anything about this in the paper. It seems to make very little sense...why destroy a car that could be seized and auctioned off?

Regards
YES URLS in signature!!!

Mr Spaceman

Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:12 am

Hi guys.

Here in Ontario, if you get caught driving a car without proper insurance, you automatically get a $5,000 fine! You are convicted on the spot! The government has a Zero Tolerance policy about this.

So, if you choose to drive without insurance & you get nailed, your license is revoked until the fine is paid.

Regarding car insurance companies .... don't get me started!  mad  It's all a big friggin scam! That's why so many of the tall glass skyscraper buildings in large cities are owned by banks & insurance companies! They use the money they've scamed out of your pocket to build them.

Here's a single car crash I came across while 100 miles North of Toronto a few weeks ago. The driver wasn't hurt at all (he was very lucky!). He lost control for some reason. I guess his car insurance will go up!!!! If I was him, I'd say I swerved to miss a deer.  wink   liar 

PS, the woman in the first shot is a.net member Vaporlock.  spin 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/Thud/AlgonquinPark05148.jpg

Chris  Smile
"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"

ltbewr

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:04 pm

Probably most of the cars seized in the UK for not having insurance are probably old, beater klunkers close to their time to end their driving life anyway. I doubt they would crush them immediatly, they would have to wait for the paperwork to be processed.

Logan22L

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:35 pm

Hopefully this will eliminate Chavs and Neds from the gene pool.

Bye, Kirkie.  duck 
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

L-188

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:39 pm

As long as they are only grabbing ones that are out on public roads.

I have a truck in my driveway that I am not driving and therefore am not carrying insurance on.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

luv2fly

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:46 pm

Quoting Redngold (Reply 3):
Here in Ohio if you are pulled over and can't show proof of insurance, you don't drive home. Your car gets towed from the spot.

redngold

That might be true, though when you go to renew your plates for your car you are not required to show any actual proof of insurance? I use to live in Michigan and until you showed proof you did not get new plates for your car. I think OH is behind the times on this issue.
You can cut the irony with a knife

vaporlock

Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:27 pm

Quoting Mr Spaceman (Reply 5):
PS, the woman in the first shot is a.net member Vaporlock.

Hey, I remember that day very well.....on our way to "Algonquin Park"....sure was a great weekend!!!  yes 

Phyllis  bouncy 

cornish

Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:06 pm

Quoting WhiteHatter (Thread starter):
Good. I'm effing well sick of paying thirty quid a year extra on top of my insurance bill to compensate people for the damage uninsured drivers do.

checkmark  agree 100%

Quoting F9Widebody (Reply 4):
It seems to make very little sense...why destroy a car that could be seized and auctioned off?

Becuase more often than not those cars uninsured are old and in most cases unroadworthy too - worth bugger all and scrap is the best thing for them, get the deathtraps off the road.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work