Twistedwhisper

I Sue You!

Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:49 pm

On the 8:th of October, 2001, at the Italian airport Linate, flight SK686 crashed into a German Cessna Citation, killing 122 people.
The reason for the crash was that the pilot on the Cessna mistook taxiway Romeo 6 instead of Romeo 5.

Now 70 families is suing Cessna because the think that Cessna is responsible for causing the accident. The fact that the accident was due to pilot error seems to be irrelevant.

Do you agree, is Cessna responsible, or at least have a part-responsibility for this accident?

How far do you think the responsibility for a producer of an item reaches?
Is he/she responsible that the item is used in a way that it was meant to?
Read between the lines.

OYRJA

RE: I Sue You!

Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:58 pm

Yeah I saw this on the news last night as well.
It's totally unclear to me why the hell they want to sue Cessna.
This looks more like getting some easy money for the relatives.

ANCFlyer

Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:15 pm

Similar issue in Alaska . . . a Cessna crashed in Dillingham in 2001 - killing 10 people . . . NTSB says icing caused the crash, but the pilot never de-iced . . . family members are suing Cessna . . . .
http://www.ktuu.com/cms/templates/master.asp?articleid=1732&zoneid=1

Quoting TWISTEDWHISPER (Thread starter):
How far do you think the responsibility for a producer of an item reaches?

Just like the manufacturers of firearms . . . . who finally, and justly, have protection against frivilous lawsuits . . . I don't see how one could possibly see a clear case for the item in the Thread Opener or the item here in Alaska.

Pilot error . . . no fauilt of Cessna . . . they didn't design the plane to ignore Taxiways with the number 5 in them . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Springbok747

Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:37 pm

Do you agree, is Cessna responsible, or at least have a part-responsibility for this accident?

No. Cessna is in no way responsible for the crash.

the pilot on the Cessna mistook taxiway Romeo 6 instead of Romeo 5.

The aircraft didn't mistake the taxiways, the pilot did.
אני תומך בישראל

jap

Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:53 pm

Que?? someone mistook 6 for 5, and it's the a/c's fault?  Confused Makes absolutely no sense. They should drop it. It ain't going to bring anyone back, just remind them of the person they lost every time they spend a nickle if they win the lawsuit...
Scandinavian chick with a scandinavian horse- oh yeah! :D

Dufo

Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:02 pm

I hope that they get fat and ill with that money.
I seriously think I just creamed my pants without any influence from any outside variables.

kbfispotter

Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:10 pm

It also reminds me of the crash of Carnahan (did I spell this right?). He was the Governor of Missouri and running for the US senate when his plane went down, killing all on board. It was a twin Cessna 335 being flown by his son, and the report states that the pilot experienced spatial disorientation in IMC. He reported that his primary attitude indicator was malfunctioning, and what gets me, is that he did not refer to his backup on the right panel, which was in perfect working order.. Well, to get to the point, Carnahan's wife and family sued Cessna and the maker of the AI, and won a huge sum of money from both.
http://www.ainonline.com/issues/07_02/07_02_spartialdisorienpg14.html

Kris
KBFIspotter
Proud to be an A&P!!!

Doona

Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:16 pm

The reason for the crash was that the pilot on the Cessna mistook taxiway Romeo 6 instead of Romeo 5.

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 3):
The aircraft didn't mistake the taxiways, the pilot did.

Also, the air traffic controller did not ask the pilot for readbacks, and the ground radar was down, and was very foggy. He spoke BOTH English and Italian with the pilot of the Cessna, which added to the confusion.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

Twistedwhisper

Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:55 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 7):
Also, the air traffic controller did not ask the pilot for readbacks, and the ground radar was down, and was very foggy. He spoke BOTH English and Italian with the pilot of the Cessna, which added to the confusion

Yes, but still, Cessna is not to blame for human errors, right?
And, I was under the influence that the Cessna pilot was German... I might be wrong though...

And now I am reading that they sued Cessna in the US and were very disappointed when the judge ruled that this lawsuit should be held in Italy...
Call me ironic, sarcastic or just a plain bad person but I believe that they wanted it in the US because the amount of money from these kind of lawsuits is usually higher in the US than in Europe... Is this lawsuit just an attempt to make a buck, or are they sincere with this..? I wonder what they think Cessna could have done to prevent this accident...
Read between the lines.

mhodgson

Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:11 pm

Its just to make a buck - to any logical person, Cessna is no way at fault - the plane responds to human input, it does not have an auto taxi function, and therefore Cessna cannot be held responsible.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Matt D

Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:36 pm

They're going after Cessna (and the gun makers)-just call this a wild hunch-not because the pilots and shooters are at fault, but because Cessna probably has much deeper pockets than the pilot.

Today, it no longer MATTERS who's at fault or not. An incident occurs. Look for any party connected somehow to the incident that has the most money. And that's who you try to pin the blame on because that's where the most money is.

They're not going to waste their time going after some little weekend pilot. Chances are, even if they siezed everything he owns and attached his wages for the next 20 years, a settlement or judgement NOW from Cessna (or some other big company) can offer up a hundred times more $$$.

Pope

Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:35 am

Lawsuits like this are just legalized extortion. Unless companies take a hard line against them, they usually get settled for the amount that defending the litigation will cost the defendant.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

SlamClick

Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:44 am

Quoting Matt D (Reply 10):
, but because Cessna probably has much deeper pockets than the pilot.

Sort of like the motivation of people who would let their plump little ten-year-old boys sleep with Michael Jackson. We can always pretend we thought there were innocent reasons why a forty year old man would want to sleep with plump little ten-year-old boys in the first place and HEY! There might be money it it.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

jaysit

Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:04 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 12):
Sort of like the motivation of people who would let their plump little ten-year-old boys sleep with Michael Jackson

That is a very mean thing to say about JCS17's mom.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

SlamClick

Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:36 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 13):
That is a very mean thing to say about JCS17's mom.

I'd have been nicer to her if she'd cut me in on the payoff!
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

ShyFlyer

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:39 am

Quoting KBFIspotter (Reply 6):
Carnahan's wife and family sued Cessna and the maker of the AI, and won a huge sum of money from both.

I thought that in addition to Cessna, they sued the maker of the vacuum pumps - Parker Hannifan - not the maker of the AI.
I lift things up and put them down.