airtran737

Bill O'Reilly "al-Qaida Can Wipe SFO Off The Map"

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:33 am

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10004302/

Just posting the news, not saying anything, because I don't feel like being flamed for the next week
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

MaverickM11

RE: Bill O'Reilly "al-Qaida Can Wipe SFO Off The Map"

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:40 am

"Why should the rest of the country protect your butt, with all due respect, OK, when it comes to the war on terror, if San Francisco is going to thumb your nose and give the big digit to the military? Why should ... why should we protect you from al-Qaida and terrorists if you're going to disrespect the military, by passing this ... even though it's symbolic ... this resolution?"

He has a point.
E pur si muove -Galileo

zeekiel

RE: Bill O'Reilly "al-Qaida Can Wipe SFO Off The M

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:42 am

I don't blame San Franciscans for feeling this way.

But ignore it, I am going to visit San Francisco. I would rather visit San Francisco than have the pleasure of meeting his ilk.

His comments were unfounded as it had to do with military recruiters being in schools not in the city itself. It was a democratic vote and the mood of the majority was felt. Nothing bad about that.

If he feels the need to fight and defend, he should get a tin hat and a gun. And be sent off to the war. .

Cheers

Zeekiel

[Edited 2005-11-11 23:46:42]
Bring back the New Zealand Air Combat Force

SFOMEX

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:43 am

He is rightfully mad at the nuts in SFO who passed this proposition, but once again Mr. O'Reilly goes ballistic showing what an idiot he can be.

San Francisco, Mr. O'Reilly, is one of the greatest cities in the whole word. Even if you don't agree with them, its people are Americans too. Mr O'Reilly, you are an a**hole!
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

luv2fly

Well on a plus note, at least the gays are not to blame for this one.
You can cut the irony with a knife

lentigomaligna

What a moron. 1. They ARE San Francisco Schools and 2. Even though he is obviously joking, what a stupid thing to say for someone so "patriotic".

NWA742

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 1):
He has a point.

checkmark 

I think the people of SFO have embarrased themselves a lot more than Oreilly did with his remarks.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

greasespot

Because part of what used to make America great was the tolerated difference of opinions and still being Americans....That is why it is wrong.

If you do not fall lock step in behind the Bush Whitehouse you are some how less American...

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

MaverickM11

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:45 am

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 7):
Because part of what used to make America great was the tolerated difference of opinions and still being Americans....That is why it is wrong.

So you aren't tolerating O'Reilly's opinion?
E pur si muove -Galileo

greasespot

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:46 am

No I am not tolerating it.....but being a commie pinko and from Canuckistan. My opinion does not really matter now does it....BUt I gave it anyway...

Smile

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

lentigomaligna

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:47 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 8):
So you aren't tolerating O'Reilly's opinion?

At least she's not saying it's ok for an assassin to target O'Reilly if he wants.

NWA742

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:49 am

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 3):
He is rightfully mad at the nuts in SFO who passed this proposition, but once again Mr. O'Reilly goes ballistic showing what an idiot he can be.

He does bring up a good point, but you're correct -- he did go way beyond what's approapriate with the "And if al-Qaida comes in here and blows you up, we're not going to do anything about it." kind of crap.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

jetjack74

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:50 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Thread starter):
Just posting the news, not saying anything, because I don't feel like being flamed for the next week

He was speaking in the context that the lib politicians in the City of San Francisco want military recruitment blocked from high schools. He then suggested that gov't say "Ok, you don't want to help us defend the country, then we won't defend the City of San Francisco."

Quote from the Radio Factor:O'REILLY: Hey, you know, if you want to ban military recruiting, fine, but I'm not going to give you another nickel of federal money. You know, if I'm the president of the United States, I walk right into Union Square, I set up my little presidential podium, and I say, "Listen, citizens of San Francisco, if you vote against military recruiting, you're not going to get another nickel in federal funds. Fine. You want to be your own country? Go right ahead."

And if Al Qaeda comes in here and blows you up, we're not going to do anything about it. We're going to say, look, every other place in America is off limits to you, except San Francisco. You want to blow up the Coit Tower? Go ahead.

From the article:
"according to a transcript and audio posted by liberal media watchdog group Media Matters for America, and by the San Francisco Chronicle."

This is all you need to read, to know that this is a targeted swipe at O'Reilly. Media Matters and MSNBC, no surprise to see this from them.
Made from jets!

bhmbaglock

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:51 am

He has a point.

Remember though that there are also a lot of normal people in the Bay area mixed in with the granola.

I do hope that all fed funding for schools in the area is cut off if this silly referendum is indeed implemented.
Where are all of my respected members going?

lentigomaligna

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:52 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 12):
"Ok, you don't want to help us defend the country, then we won't defend the City of San Francisco."

Maybe San Fran sees a difference between what our military does and defending our country.  stirthepot 

jaysit

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:56 am

"Why should the rest of the country protect your butt, with all due respect, OK, when it comes to the war on terror, if San Francisco is going to thumb your nose and give the big digit to the military? Why should ... why should we protect you from al-Qaida and terrorists if you're going to disrespect the military, by passing this ... even though it's symbolic ... this resolution?"

He has a point.

He does?

Lets put it this way, Bill O'Reilly and you never protected the US from anything. Lily-livered cowards don't have the cajones to do so.

San Francisco's excellent academic, legal, culinary and business institutions have done more for the United States than that obnoxious, sexually harassing dimwit and all his numerous cowardly apologists combined.

Pathological sisses masquerading as bullies. All of them.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

slider

Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:00 am

Providing for the national defense is one of those "indivisible" things that cannot be handled by any singular entity other than the Federal government.

I think the SFO schools should be OBLIGATED to allow recruiters.

But nothing that the left bay does surprises me anymore.

jetjack74

Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:01 am

Quoting Lentigomaligna (Reply 14):
Maybe San Fran sees a difference between what our military does and defending our country.

It doesn't matter how they see "defending the country", Allowing military recruitment is one of the requirments for federal-funding. Without it the federal gov't doesn't have to San Francisco City School System any money. So good on them, hoe they have the coffers filled.
Made from jets!

SFOMEX

Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:03 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 15):
Lily-livered cowards don't have the cajones to do so.

It's cojones. Cajones are drawers.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

lentigomaligna

Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:07 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 17):
Allowing military recruitment is one of the requirments for federal-funding.

I guess they lose it then don't they, that's their decision to make. It's too bad that the focus isn't on the quality of the schools rather than whether or not the military can use schools to recruit fresh troops for a disaster of a war. I was just pointing out that this type of logic is faulty:

Quoting ,reply=12:
"Ok, you don't want to help us defend the country, then we won't defend the City of San Francisco."

[Edited 2005-11-12 00:11:24]

pacificjourney

Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:14 am

I'm amazed.

Reading this forum one gets the impression that the US military is The best job in the world and that the prime of america just beat down the door to join.

Who would have thought they even needed recruiters to troll the malls and high schools for the otherwise unemployable ?

The Army, we're looking for guys who don't read the papers much ....
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

AeroWesty

Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:24 am

From the article:
"according to a transcript and audio posted by liberal media watchdog group Media Matters for America, and by the San Francisco Chronicle."

This is all you need to read, to know that this is a targeted swipe at O'Reilly. Media Matters and MSNBC, no surprise to see this from them.

Also from the article:

"Adding to the buzz was the archived version of O'Reilly's Tuesday show, which omitted the incendiary comments, according to Bay Area TV station KNTV."
International Homo of Mystery

ltbewr

Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:30 am

The problem is that the military should not be given such open access to impressionable, lower income high school aged students or their personal info.
High School students are highly impressionable so recruters will play up the money you can get for college (a BIG attention getter for many H.S. students anywhere) life experience, work skills and maturity you gain, but with bearly any discussion of the downside - that you may get killed in Iraq. Second, is the issue of privacy.
Many indivduals, including the parents of these children don't want the government to know any more about me then they absolutly need, including the military.
For many in S.F. in particular, it is about the anti-gay/lesbian polices of the military they find objectionable and this is a route of protest of those policies. That is what probably pisses off BO'R. Still, the people of S.F. do have sound reasoning and really should have the right to limit recruting access to their public school students. S.F. no matter what their politics also needs the full measure of protection from our military or any other part of government despite their recruting program objections.

b757300

Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:50 am

From the article:

Media Matters is nothing but a bunch of George Soros funded left wing hacks to take comments conservatives, or in the case of O'Reilly, perceived conservatives, and twist them to suit their left wing agenda. This is the same group that got the media in a stir over Bill Bennett by send out a press release claiming he wanted to abort all black children when he ever said any such thing but by using only a couple of phrases, MM made it sound that way.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

Thorben

Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:53 am

Quote:
"And if al-Qaida comes in here and blows you up, we're not going to do anything about it. We're going to say, look, every other place in America is off limits to you, except San Francisco.

So, this moron says it's OK if San Francisco gets destroyed, all it's inhabitants killed, because they do not want military recruiters in their schools??? And some people think he has a point??? The military's recent actions are not protecting the US, they are creating more hatred in the Islamic countries, therefore endangering America even further.

Quote:
City officials were not amused. "It sounds like he's on the same medication Rush Limbaugh is addicted to, and he should go see a therapist,'' Board of Supervisors President Aaron Peskin, whose district includes the tower, told the Chronicle.

Although I'm pro-free-speech, I agree with this part. O'Reilly should have his head examined.
France 1789; Eastern Germany 1989; Tunisia 2011; Egypt 2011

bhmbaglock

Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:55 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 22):
he problem is that the military should not be given such open access to impressionable, lower income high school aged students or their personal info.

Personally, I'd rather give them access than the leftist teacher's union drones who have them 7 hours a day more or less. If you don't think they're trying to indoctrinate these kids then you're dreaming. We're talking about a few hours here and there vs. near unlimited access.

Many indivduals, including the parents of these children don't want the government to know any more about me then they absolutly need, including the military.

Fine, let them opt out. Don't you think the same concerns apply to giving this info to colleges?

For many in S.F. in particular, it is about the anti-gay/lesbian polices of the military they find objectionable and this is a route of protest of those policies.

Somehow, I don't think having gays(uncloseted) in the military would much change the anti-military attitude. Some, but not much. Remember, gays can be in the military, they just can't be open about it. Same goes for adulterers and a few other categories of behavior. I do think the buzz phrase used is not quite complete though, as a few people caught in the act can attest, it should be "Don't ask, don't tell, don't get caught."
Where are all of my respected members going?

AeroWesty

Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:04 am

Quoting B757300 (Reply 23):
Media Matters is nothing but a bunch of George Soros funded left wing hacks to take comments conservatives, or in the case of O'Reilly, perceived conservatives, and twist them to suit their left wing agenda.

Interesting way of attempting to explain away why this part of O'Rielly's show isn't part of the official transcript.

Gilligan

Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:37 am

Quoting Pacificjourney (Reply 20):

Actually recruiting was up for the month of October.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

MaverickM11

Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:41 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 15):
Lets put it this way, Bill O'Reilly and you never protected the US from anything

What Bill or I do or don't do has nothing to do with this. If an entity votes to prohibit the institution that protects it, it leaves itself open to not being protected. You can't get much simpler than that.
E pur si muove -Galileo

AeroWesty

Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:43 am

Quoting Gilligan (Reply 27):

Actually recruiting was up for the month of October.

That's true, but 12% (instead of the goal of less than 4%) were "Category 4" recruits, from the Delayed Entry Program pool, whose entrance test scores are the lowest the Army will accept.

santosdumont

Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:56 am

It's interesting to note that both this O'Reilly gem and the other one about hurricanes and UN headquarters were on his radio show.

Looks like he's just trying to fish for ratings by trying to prove that he's some type of bad-ass. On his TV show, he's admitted that the UN thing was a "joke."
"Pursuit Of Truth No Matter Where It Lies" -- Metallica

jetjack74

Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:48 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 21):
"Adding to the buzz was the archived version of O'Reilly's Tuesday show, which omitted the incendiary comments, according to Bay Area TV station KNTV."

I'm tempted to subscibe to his website to see if it actually is removed. I'm skeptical of (Spin)Media Matters and the SFC of their testimony.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 26):
Interesting way of attempting to explain away why this part of O'Rielly's show isn't part of the official transcript.

If it's true that it was omitted, then i'd be disappointed that O'Reilly isn't standing by his remarks. He's right for saying it in the 1st place.

Quoting Pacificjourney (Reply 20):

Colour me suprised PJ that you would come up with something so assinine.
Made from jets!

lowrider

Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:49 am

I wonder if the recruiters could make the case that this violates thier 1st ammendment rights. Since the schools are tax dollar funded, can they be construed as public space? I don't think you could make the arguement that thier speech is inflamitory or creates a public hazard. It would be interesting to see how that one played out.
Proud OOTSK member

itsjustme

Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:58 pm

I couldn't care less about what some egotistical blow hard says on a TV show in order to score some ratings. The fact that our military recruiters have to resort to forcing their way into places where they are clearly not welcome to try to get kids to enlist speaks volumes.

It's been a few years since I was in high school but I do recall knowing how to locate a local recruiting office when I wanted some questions answered about my interest to enlist. I didn't need to have recruiters showing up in my classrooms, stopping me in the hallway, or interrupting a meal in the cafeteria.

jetjack74

Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:09 pm

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 32):
I don't think you could make the arguement that thier speech is inflamitory or creates a public hazard. It would be interesting to see how that one played out.

Beginning 2 years ago, Army recruiters were chased off the campus of Seattle Central Community College. THey were threatened by antiwar protesters
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/210741_protest04.html
And these nuts are champions of free speech, harmony and peace.
Made from jets!

Falcon84

Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:16 pm

He has a point.

He has no point. If someone says that, and they're earnest about it, that's inciting terrorism, and I imagine punishible by jail time or worse. So the only point he makes is that he has the right to criticize SFO, but that SFO has no right to keep the Armed Forces to actively recruit at it's schools.

Hey Bill-last time I checked, the Armed Forces were a VOLUNTEER force, is it not, dipshit? In that case, the city of SFO isn't stopping anyone from volunteering-just the active recruitment of said volunteers on the campuses of it's schools. I have no problem with that, and there's certainly nothing anti-American or anti-military about that. Let the kids be kids. If they want to join, I imagine they'll find the way.

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 6):

I think the people of SFO have embarrased themselves a lot more than Oreilly did with his remarks.

Hardly. I think certain people of a certain political persuasion have become convinced that the military is some kind of holier-than-thou institution, and should be genuflected to at every turn. I don't believe that. It should be respected, it should not be worshipped.

He was speaking in the context that the lib politicians in the City of San Francisco want military recruitment blocked from high schools. He then suggested that gov't say "Ok, you don't want to help us defend the country, then we won't defend the City of San Francisco."

Which is a bunch of horseshit, JetJack. No one is prohibiting a youngster from San Fran. to join the military. The city is saying that if they military wants them, they won't be recruited on school grounds. There's nothing at all unpatriotic or disrespectful about that.

Quoting Slider (Reply 16):
I think the SFO schools should be OBLIGATED to allow recruiters.

Welcome to the Third Reich, Slider. When we DEMAND our schools be OBLIGATED to let the military recruit, then we've passed into a realm of militarism and militaristic worship from which we'll never come back. You can stick such an un-American piece of logic and send it to Beijing, fella. It has no place in this country. We don't oblige or kids to listen to the military. The military works for US, not the other way around.

Oh-Seig heil.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 28):
What Bill or I do or don't do has nothing to do with this. If an entity votes to prohibit the institution that protects it, it leaves itself open to not being protected. You can't get much simpler than that.

Complete, utter, idiotic horse shit, Maverick. They didn't prohibit the institution. They said it cannot recruit on campus in schools. It didn't throw out recruiting stations. Again, stop worshipping the Armed Forces like it's some god; it isn't. It's a volunteer force, and NO ONE should be obligated or forced to be recruited by said force.

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 32):
I wonder if the recruiters could make the case that this violates thier 1st ammendment rights.

The First Amendment deals with the people vis-a-vis their government. So it does not apply.

Again, I find this military-worship by certain memebers, and their mistaken view that the people serve the military, not the other way around, as reprehensible, and really a truely un-American way of thinking.
Work Right, Fly Hard

AeroWesty

Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:21 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 34):
And these nuts are champions of free speech, harmony and peace.

This is actually an interesting argument that's being played out, especially since it's usually the 9th Circuit that's accused of wingnuttery. The 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals found the Solomon Amendment to be unconstitutional because it forces colleges to violate their own policies barring recruitment by employers that discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation.

AeroWesty

Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:28 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 35):
When we DEMAND our schools be OBLIGATED to let the military recruit, then we've passed into a realm of militarism and militaristic worship from which we'll never come back. You can stick such an un-American piece of logic and send it to Beijing, fella.

Welcome to Beijing, Falcon!  silly 

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...archive/2005/03/02/MNGRMBITPF1.DTL

The No Child Left Behind Act approved by Congress in 2001 requires school districts to provide military recruiters with the same access to high schools given to college or job recruiters.

Under the current law, parents must tell school officials they don't want their child contacted by the military, at school or home. Otherwise, schools are required to turn over students' names, addresses and phone numbers to Pentagon recruiters.

NWA742

Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:29 pm

I think certain people of a certain political persuasion have become convinced that the military is some kind of holier-than-thou institution, and should be genuflected to at every turn.

Who would these certain people be? I know not to ask about the political persuasion.

I think you're mistaking the idea that the military is "holier-than-thou," for a simple more respectful attitude towards the military. I think most Americans have a high degree of respect for the military, but don't go as far as worshipping. Maybe a few do, and they are certainly welcome to do so.

And I must disagree - I think voting decisions of the people of SFO are far more embarrassing than what you might call, a holier-than-thou attitude towards the military.

-NWA742

[Edited 2005-11-12 05:30:21]

Falcon84

Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:36 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 38):
I think you're mistaking the idea that the military is "holier-than-thou," for a simple more respectful attitude towards the military.

Respect for those who serve is fine, NWA742. It's warrented. But this attitude that the schools should be OBLIGATED to let recruiters in? The notion that somehow O'Reilly made a valid point somehow? Neither point should be given any kind of creedence or validation, in my view. That's just totally nuts, I think.

The jist I get from some is that they've forgotten that the military serves the people, not the other way around. I'm no fan of the military, that's obvious, although I have the greatest respect for those who volunteer to serve and put their lives on the line. But it is a VOLUNTEER force, and to say what O'Reilly did stepped way over a line-I mean, really far over a line.

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 38):
And I must disagree - I think voting decisions of the people of SFO are far more embarrassing than what you might call, a holier-than-thou attitude towards the military.

Fine, you have a right to feel that way. I think it's crazy to think keeping the armed forces off high school grounds is embarrassing. Again, if the kids want to go to the Army or the Navy, they can find it themselves.
Work Right, Fly Hard

NWA742

Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:51 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 39):
But this attitude that the schools should be OBLIGATED to let recruiters in? The notion that somehow O'Reilly made a valid point somehow? Neither point should be given any kind of creedence or validation, in my view. That's just totally nuts, I think.

Why, may I ask, is it just totally nuts to you? It'

If it's a benefit for the military to have, then it's probably a benefit for the country.

Who gives a shit if a bunch of idiots in SFO don't want the recruiters there?
They may be salesmen of the military, but they are not forcing anybody to join.

IMO, it doesn't hurt a thing to force schools to have recruiters. It doesn't sound so nuts to me, but that's my 2 cents.

The jist I get from some is that they've forgotten that the military serves the people, not the other way around.

How do you come to the conclusion that having recruiters at schools is a matter of the people serving the military?

I see it as another way the military serves the people -- they educate and make it easier for people to want to join, to do so. Again, I think they are serving the people with this.

I'm no fan of the military, that's obvious

Seemingly.

although I have the greatest respect for those who volunteer to serve and put their lives on the line.

Good attitude to have.

O'Reilly did stepped way over a line-I mean, really far over a line.

With SOME of his comments -- he sure did.

-NWA742

Falcon84

Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:59 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 40):
Why, may I ask, is it just totally nuts to you? It'

If it's a benefit for the military to have, then it's probably a benefit for the country.

It just is! You honestly think it should be mandated that schools are OBLIGED to let the military in? Why? That's just crazy.

And again, the military works for the people, not visa-versa. If citizens want to join, they can go to a recruiting station. The military doesn't need to be actively buzzing around schools.

Who gives a shit if a bunch of idiots in SFO don't want the recruiters there?

If you don't give a shit, why does it bother you so much, my friend? If SFO wants to do that, it IS a free country, and they should be allowed to do it. It doesn't harm the nation; it doesn't harm the military; and it probably won't stop one young man or woman who wants to joing from joining.

IMO, it doesn't hurt a thing to force schools to have recruiters.

Read what you just said! In a FREE COUNTRY, you want to FORCE the schools to let the military to recruit at school!

That is the anthesis of what America is, NWA742. That's militarism, in it's worst form-you don't FORCE anyone to listen to the military in a free society. The military bends to the will of the people, not the other way around!

That sentence just blows me away.
Work Right, Fly Hard

NWA742

Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:09 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 41):
It just is!

Ok.

You honestly think it should be mandated that schools are OBLIGED to let the military in? Why? That's just crazy.

Yes, I do. I don't see a problem with it. They are not forcing anybody to join, but they are making it easier for those who would like too. What is wrong with that?

And again, the military works for the people, not visa-versa.

And again, how do you come to the conclusion that having recruiters at schools is a matter of the people serving the military? It's another way the military serves the people -- they educate and make it easier for people to want to join, to do so. Again, I think they are serving the people with this.

If you don't give a shit, why does it bother you so much, my friend?

Ironic that you say that, Falcon. I don't really care what SFO does, it doesn't affect me at all -- but I do have an opinion about it.

You're the one who seems to be getting their panties in a twist over the military being in schools.

In a FREE COUNTRY, you want to FORCE the schools to let the military to recruit at school!

That doesn't affect the freedom of individual citizens, Falcon. The military is not forcing people to join.

Therefore, I see no problem with it. If you do, well you're entitled to your opinion.

-NWA742

jetjack74

Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:17 pm

Which is a bunch of horseshit, JetJack. No one is prohibiting a youngster from San Fran. to join the military. The city is saying that if they military wants them, they won't be recruited on school grounds. There's nothing at all unpatriotic or disrespectful about that.

It may not be unpatiotic or disrespectful, but it is preventing the US Armed Forces from the opportunity to recruit which they have a right to do in public schools. If they're offering a kid money for college, than whats the problem? No one's being deceptive. It's one of the tradeoffs for public schools getting federal funding. I'm not saying it's preventing little Joe Schmucatelli from joining, that isn't the point. But if the schools, or citizens of the Bay Area don't want the military recruiting, than that's fine, they just won't get the federal help, and they can find other ways of getting money, like through a clambake or something. I'd suggest a bikini car wash as a good option. Now O'Rielly's opinion may be a bit over the top, but in theory it isn't. The City of San Fran want's to restrict the military's ability to recruit, well than the access to gov't funding should be curtailed as well. Fairs, fair.
Made from jets!

Falcon84

Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:18 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 42):
Yes, I do. I don't see a problem with it. They are not forcing anybody to join, but they are making it easier for those who would like too. What is wrong with that?

Sorry, but such sentiment scare the shit out of me, that you would, in a free society, FORCE any entity to suffer the presence of the military in any form.

This isn't the Third Reich; isn't the USSR. It's the U.S., and the U.S. I have come to believe in doesn't force the military on the citizens, and that's what you're proposing.

I almost don't have words for what you propose-it's just dumbfounding.

And again, how do you come to the conclusion that having recruiters at schools is a matter of the people serving the military?

When you want to FORCE them to put up with their presence?

That doesn't affect the freedom of individual citizens, Falcon. The military is not forcing people to join.

Sure it does! When you tell the people: "You MUST allow the military to recruit wherever it wants, and be damned to what you want.", then it does affect all our freedoms as a people.

I'll fight to the death to keep that kind of militarism from taking hold in this nation.
Work Right, Fly Hard

NWA742

Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:19 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 43):
The City of San Fran want's to restrict the military's ability to recruit, well than the access to gov't funding should be curtailed as well. Fairs, fair.

checkmark 

-NWA742

Falcon84

Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:21 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 45):
Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 43):
The City of San Fran want's to restrict the military's ability to recruit, well than the access to gov't funding should be curtailed as well. Fairs, fair.

Tranlation: you don't kiss the military's ass, then you're whole city will suffer.

How very USSR of you, JetJack.
Work Right, Fly Hard

NWA742

Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:28 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 44):
Sorry, but such sentiment scare the shit out of me, that you would, in a free society, FORCE any entity to suffer the presence of the military in any form.

"Suffer" the presence of the military? Okay, there's the basis to which our opinions differ, BIG TIME.

I think it's crazy to think that having the military present in schools is somehow "suffering" to the students. Absolutely crazy.

I almost don't have words for what you propose-it's just dumbfounding.

And a big freaking likewise for that one.

When you want to FORCE them to put up with their presence?

What do you mean "put up with their presence"? Who are they actually hurting there? Who suffers as a result of military recruiters being in schools? The fuck are you talking about, Falcon? If anything, their presence has a wide benefit for the students.

You really do hate the military don't you? I never knew that about you.

Sure it does! When you tell the people: "You MUST allow the military to recruit wherever it wants, and be damned to what you want.", then it does affect all our freedoms as a people.

No, it doesn't. The military has every right in the world to set up recruiting stations wherever they want. If they protect and serve our country, that should at the very least, be able to recruit whereever they want.

They are not affecting anyone's personal freedom, because these recruiting stations will have NO EFFECT on anybody's life, unless they want them to.

I'll fight to the death to keep that kind of militarism from taking hold in this nation.

So be it, dude. You'll have a real small force backing you in your little struggle against the military.

I really never knew you hated the military.

-NWA742

Falcon84

Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:37 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 47):
"Suffer" the presence of the military? Okay, there's the basis to which our opinions differ, BIG TIME.

I think it's crazy to think that having the military present in schools is somehow "suffering" to the students. Absolutely crazy.

That's because you put the military on a much higher pedestal than I do. I think the military should ask if it can recruit. If an entity, like schools, say no, the military should just leave it at that. But to force anyone to put up with the military, even if it's "only" recruiting, is simply not what this nation is about. Not in the least.

You really do hate the military don't you? I never knew that about you.

There you go, using that word "hate" again. I have no love for the fact we need armed forces; I understand the role of the military, and how it should fit in a free society. But I don't love the institution of the military.

But I don't hate the military. I loathe the idea, that you're putting forward, that the citizens should be FORCED, if necessary, to put up with recruiters at schools. That's what I can't stand.

Again, the miltary should ASK for permission. If it's given, that's fine, if it's not, then that should be the end of the matter.

The military has every right in the world to set up recruiting stations wherever they want.

And the people don't have the RIGHT to tell the military "we would appreciate it if you don't recruit at our schools"? Who is this country ultimately for, NWA742? The military? Or it's citizens?
Work Right, Fly Hard

stirling

Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:39 pm

I'm no fan of the military, that's obvious, although I have the greatest respect for those who volunteer to serve and put their lives on the line

I am sorry sir, you cannot have it both ways....the *Military* are the *Volunteers*...you cannot separate the two, it is like saying you love taking showers....but hate getting wet.
And how can you respect people associated with something with which you despise so much? I can't think of an example off the top of my head; where I respect someone who belongs to an organization or group with which I am at a serious odds....

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 37):
The No Child Left Behind Act approved by Congress in 2001 requires school districts to provide military recruiters with the same access to high schools given to college or job recruiters.

Under the current law, parents must tell school officials they don't want their child contacted by the military, at school or home. Otherwise, schools are required to turn over students' names, addresses and phone numbers to Pentagon recruiters.

Thanks Westy....looks like a court fight to me.
San Francisco is bound by the law. Until the law is changed, they got to play by the rules.

Remember, B'OR is a media figure. It is his job to do exactly what he is doing...Murdoch would can his ass if he didn't. Whether you like him or not, he forces you to think...and is that really such a bad thing?
Delete this User