andz

Political Correctness Gone Mad

Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:15 pm

I just saw on Sky that a carol service held annually in St Martin-in-the-Field's to remember victims of murder is in danger of losing its government funding as it "could be seen as a Christian service, and could therefore exclude certain members of the community". The quote is from a letter from a government worker to the organiser.

WTF is next, cancel Christmas?
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Doona

RE: Political Correctness Gone Mad

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:18 pm

Quoting Andz (Thread starter):

Well, in the US it's "Happy holidays" instead of "Christmas", so as to include Chanukah and kwanzaa. It's getting ridiculous.

"So," says Connie, the newsreporter, "I'm going home to enjoy the 'holidays' with my family in my white-bread suburb." My ass. What's wrong in saying christmas in this case? Does it offend Jewish people that everybody does not have the same religion as them? I doubt it. Would Christians be offended if a Jewish weatherman mentioned Chanukah? In a society that's supposed to be free, how come we pretend that there is nothing that makes us different from each other?

Cherish what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart!

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

aloges

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:23 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 1):
It's getting ridiculous.

Seems like it - I'm really glad you don't get to see this kind of political correctness in my country; at least I can't remember to have seen it. Many people do say "Happy Holidays" ("Frohes Fest") here, but that term has been around far, far longer than any political correctness.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

7LBAC111

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:28 pm

Funny you say that.... there was something here in England last week where Christmas lights were banned in a Lambeth town centres, and renamed as Winter Celebration lights, for fear of upsetting Non-Christians.

This decision was later reversed after it was claimed to be a juniror clerical error.

7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

AsstChiefMark

Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:13 pm

While visiting Texas during the holiday season two years ago, store clerks would ALWAYS say "Merry Christmas" to me. After a few times, I finally started replying, "Don't assume I'm a Christian." They often appeared to be clueless as to why I'd say that.

Around the Minneapolis area, the clerks say, "Happy Holidays."

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

L410Turbolet

Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:24 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 4):
While visiting Texas during the holiday season two years ago, store clerks would ALWAYS say "Merry Christmas" to me.

Why wouldn't they???  Confused  Confused  Confused

lazyshaun

Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:55 pm

Its the same with celebrating Nelsons victory at Trafalgar, when they re-acted the battle the French and Spanish were in Red and the British Blue (or viceversa), incase it offended anyone.

Well I'm sorry but it did happen 200 years ago, and I don't think theres many French or Spanish people who will remember it happening. If they had won, and they acted the battle out I think its unlikely that they would take that proportion. And I'd be glad if they didn't, because they have a right to celebrate their victory as much as we can ours. CAn any Spanieds or French please tell me if they would be offended if they were called Spain and France instead of being RED?

It really has gone mad, I don't care what anybody says.
I came. I saw. I conquered

FLYtoEGCC

Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:00 pm

Last year, there were examples all over the country of people being told to take down posters about Christmas for fear of offending or excluding non-Christians; so why, therefore, did the Parade (the main High Street) in Leamington Spa have some massive lights stretching across the street spelling out "Happy Diwali"? Doesn't that exclude me, as a Christian?

The world's going crazy. Somebody should give these PC do-gooders a whack in the face and see if it wakes them up to reality.
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

gordonsmall

Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:07 pm

Sounds like a damn fine idea to me!

Why people still insist on celebrating Christmas is beyond me, it's an ancient ritual based on lies and mis-direction.

I once heard it said by someone that "the biggest problem with christianity was the fact that they tried to celebrate on Dec 25th, if jesus had been born any other day than christmas the whole religion would be better off - after all, who wants to spend christmas day worshipping jesus". I didn't have the heart to correct him.  Smile
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

AsstChiefMark

Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:08 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 5):
Why wouldn't they???

I finally started replying, "Don't assume I'm a Christian."

They're wishing a person Merry Christmas...thereby assuming the person they're saying it to is a Christian. What about the Jews, Muslums, and Kwanza folks? Then there are all the less-known religions and sects.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

lazyshaun

Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:10 pm

Its just a subjetcthat really pisses me off  Angry

I don't mind Hindu's celebrating Divali and puting up lights and whatever, but don't you dare complain about excluding non-christians at Christmas. Your living in a Christian COUNTRY!!!!!!
I'm not being funny, but if I went to a Hindu or Muslim or whatever country and complained about them excluding me from their religious beliefs, then I would expect to be deported or beaten up etc, because its bloody disrespectful.

L410Turbolet

Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:30 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 9):
They're wishing a person Merry Christmas...thereby assuming the person they're saying it to is a Christian.

I don't think they're necessarily assuming anything... maybe they are wishing you a merry Christmas because the holiday IS called Christmas?

TheSorcerer

Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:52 pm

Quoting Gordonsmall (Reply 8):
Why people still insist on celebrating Christmas

To get presents of course, I don't believe in god and Jesus but I still enjoy Christmas.

The Sorcerer
ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

EZEIZA

Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:00 pm

While visiting Texas during the holiday season two years ago, store clerks would ALWAYS say "Merry Christmas" to me

It's not like they were tlling you to go F*** off  Wink
just telling you to enjoy the Christmas holiday, regardless of you religious belief. I would not mind if they wished me a happy Chanukah  Smile
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

Banco

Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:28 pm

Quoting Lazyshaun (Reply 10):
I don't mind Hindu's celebrating Divali and puting up lights and whatever, but don't you dare complain about excluding non-christians at Christmas. Your living in a Christian COUNTRY!!!!!!
I'm not being funny, but if I went to a Hindu or Muslim or whatever country and complained about them excluding me from their religious beliefs, then I would expect to be deported or beaten up etc, because its bloody disrespectful.

And this is the problem. It is not, and never has been, the Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, Jewish or any other community that complains. On the contrary, they usually react with fury to such stupidity, precisely because it encourages reactions such as your own. Invariably, they say that such ideas are stupid, that they don't have the slightest objection to Christmas, Easter or whatever celebrations, and that crass, idiotic do-gooders should shut up and leave things as they are.

It is white, possibly Christian loonies who create offence where none existed, and who create racial and religious tension by dividing a community where no division was present.

I've lost count of the number of times I've heard a spokesman for the local mosque/temple (whatever) lose his temper on the radio or television about this. They hate the political correctness as much as anyone else - especially when bloody fools are supposedly doing it on their behalf.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

dtwclipper

Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:51 pm

While visiting Texas during the holiday season two years ago, store clerks would ALWAYS say "Merry Christmas" to me. After a few times, I finally started replying, "Don't assume I'm a Christian." They often appeared to be clueless as to why I'd say that.

You, know, I'm jewish, and I just don't get it.

It never bothered me when people said Merry Christmas to me, and as a matter of fact I always wish them the same.

Maybe I do it because PC has gone nuts, or I'm just being nice to people who have said somthing nice to me. I just don't see any need to be rude.

So what if someone tells you have a happy ramadan, aren't they just trying to be nice?
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

SFOMEX

Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:24 pm

Gosh, how they dare to wish you happiness!!! Get real pal, you live in a Christian country. You are free to practice your own faith, but don't get mad just because the MAJORITY celebrates Christmas.

Your living in a Christian COUNTRY!!!!!!

Damn right. Imagine that you were living in Israel and you get all pissed off just because your neighbors celebrate Purim!!! It'd be non-sense, right? Well, in countries where the vast majority are Christians we celebrate Christmas, so please respect our right to have a religious celebration.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

lentigomaligna

Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:32 pm

The things is that Christmas is cultural, not just religious. I can't say that I believe in a deified Jesus Christ in any way shape or form (despite my membership in a quasi-Christian faith), nor does much of my family, but we still celebrate the holiday just the same. Christmas is about Christ for a limited number of people. For most it's much more about family, giving, tradition, etc.

I can see that the government shouldn't shove Christmas down the throats of people, but that doesn't mean we have to spend all of our energy to forget the fact that there's this holiday that nearly everyone celebrates happening nor to avoid anything that could possibly be construed as advocating Christianity.

(Plus it's a Pagan holiday anyway)

You're living in a Christian COUNTRY!!!!!!

The U.S. isn't.

[Edited 2005-11-13 07:39:54]

jafa39

Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:33 pm

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 3):
for fear of upsetting Non-Christians.

Why it is considered Ok to upset Christians is beyond me...

Quoting Banco (Reply 14):
It is white, possibly Christian loonies who create offence where none existed, and who create racial and religious tension by dividing a community where no division was present.

Well said mate, spot on!!!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

solarix

Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:38 pm

Political Correctness is getting way out of hand. I find it amazing when 99% have to change their ways just because 1% are offended. What ever happened to "majority rules" ???

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 16):
After a few times, I finally started replying, "Don't assume I'm a Christian." They often appeared to be clueless as to why I'd say that.

Wouldn't it be easier to just say "Thanks" and be on your way? I don't get offended by other religions or cultures celebrating their own holidays. Why should you?

Quoting Gordonsmall (Reply 8):
Sounds like a damn fine idea to me! Why people still insist on celebrating Christmas is beyond me, it's an ancient ritual based on lies and mis-direction.

Sounds like somebody got a bag of a coal last year  Smile
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

N200WN

Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:15 pm

Does anyone remember back a few years ago in Berekely, CA the city hung the Christmas trees upside down along the streets and they could only be referred to as "seasonal shapes."

andz

Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:22 pm

I just don't get all this stuff. Here we have pretty much every faith represented, the Moslems don't complain about Easter, the Christians don't complain about Diwali, everybody lives their life and gets along (mostly). I agree with some of the above posts that the average person of whatever persuasion just wants to live their life, it is some pencil neck official with too much time on their hands who causes ructions.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

flyboy36y

Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:09 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 11):
I don't think they're necessarily assuming anything... maybe they are wishing you a merry Christmas because the holiday IS called Christmas?

Who's holiday? Not mine.

jafa39

Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:41 pm

Quoting Flyboy36y (Reply 22):
Who's holiday? Not mine.

The one the whole country gets time off for, regardless of religious affiliation, thats whose holiday.... and remember, in many "Christian" countries, Muslims will get time off for Eides, Hindus, Divali, Jews, Hanukah AND Christmas, you don't get Osama Bin Laden waving his AK 47 about complaining because Muslims don't have to work over Christmas, it is this that makes the whole PC anti-christmas thing a crock of shit.

flyboy36y

Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:54 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 23):
The one the whole country gets time off for, regardless of religious affiliation, thats whose holiday.... and remember, in many "Christian" countries, Muslims will get time off for Eides, Hindus, Divali, Jews, Hanukah AND Christmas, you don't get Osama Bin Laden waving his AK 47 about complaining because Muslims don't have to work over Christmas, it is this that makes the whole PC anti-christmas thing a crock of shit.

First, there is nothing PC about it. If a total stranger wishes me a merry christmass, I wont really care because they are trying to be kind. But if someone whe know me to any degree (where they know im a Jew) and wish me a merry christmass then I consider them to be inconsiderate. When I go to eat with my catholic friends during lent I dont order meat out of respect. When I see my muslim friends fasting on ramadan I don't eat where they can see me (unless they are in the cafeteria). So, why can't christians do me the favor of wishing me a happy holliday that I actually subscribe to? By wishing me a "merry christmass" they are not wishing me a happy holiday. The net effect is zero. They may as well not wish me anything at all.

jafa39

Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:45 pm

And how will they know you are Jewish, are you hasidic or are you wearing a badge? if you are so considerate to other cultures why don't you tolerate being wished "Happy Christmas" as a sign of respect??????

No, you get all huffy because like the very people that press my buttons on this issue, you can be tolerant of everybody except Christians.....

L410Turbolet

Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:51 am

Quoting Flyboy36y (Reply 24):
So, why can't christians do me the favor of wishing me a happy holliday that I actually subscribe to? By wishing me a "merry christmass" they are not wishing me a happy holiday. The net effect is zero. They may as well not wish me anything at all.

Maybe you should relax a little bit and don't get so worked up over such minor things such as wishing you a happy ......

777236ER

Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:01 am

Your living in a Christian COUNTRY!!!!!!

Bam! It didn't take too long, but someone had to come up with this beauty.

1. Britain isn't Christian, it's secular. There is no national religion.
2. Are you sure this isn't just your thinly veiled racism coming into play? After all, the BNP use this little line all the time.
3. France has always dismissed British multiculturalism, and instead opted for the integration approach you favour - look where they are.
4. I suggest you go take some basic lessons in grammar. It seems slightly silly to complain about something so petty when something as fundamental as your writing skills aren't up to par. Priorities?
Your bone's got a little machine

Boeing Nut

Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:08 am

Man, it's crap like this that just makes me want to pack up everything I own and move to the Conch Republic.  wink 
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

swisskloten

Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:45 am

Just go to the archived section of this website. Political correctness is everywhere! You just have to look in the right places.

david b.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:52 am

Fcuk PCness. STFU and have a Marry Christmas

[Edited 2005-11-13 18:52:42]
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

CPH757

Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:00 am

Well, I will certainly start out by not being political correct then; I hate religion!!

I'm glad that most of you agree with the thread starter. It seems that everytime we touch religion, we can't say anything bad or offend anyone, although we don't mind if religion is not the case. This is clearly one of the main problems in our multiethnic society, that we don't dare speaking open about religion.

Here it has become more and more accepted during the last five years. The papers can make jokes with other religions, which sadly seem to harm somebody, but the majority finds it enlightning in the on going debate about the multi ethnic society, which unfortunately did not exist before five years ago.

We will never achieve anything, I we won't speak open, no matter what political view we represent.

And before you start flaming me for my intro, I did not say that I hate religious people. I certainly don't. But a world without religion would be a better world. I'm not against a multiethnic society either, in fact I love it, but we have to face the problems that exist, no matter who created them!

We don't do that by being silent and wishing happy holidays!
Last flight: SAW-CPH on H9 on 02/11/09 - Next Flights: 23/12/09 CPH-AAL on QI, 30/12/09 CPH-LHR on SK, 19/01/10 CPH-CDG-

airbus3801

Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:46 am

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 16):
Damn right. Imagine that you were living in Israel and you get all pissed off just because your neighbors celebrate Purim!!! It'd be non-sense, right? Well, in countries where the vast majority are Christians we celebrate Christmas, so please respect our right to have a religious celebration.

I don't he was disrespecting anyone, but according to the law in the United States, if that is the country you were referring to, you are not allowed to do Christmas celebrations while using public places etc. No one is stopping you from celebrating, but you need to respect others because the US isn't a Christian country like you said it was if I am following correctly.

mdsh00

Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:10 am

I'm not Christian but honestly, I don't get offended if someone wishes me Merry Christmas. Heck, I have a Christmas tree in my house. I don't understand what's wrong with celebrating Christmas without the religious part of it.

PC'ness crosses the line way too many times in my opinion.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

aerorobnz

Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:46 am

Christmas had roots as a pagan festival long before the Theocratic Catholic church changed the name to Christmas and made it a Christian festival. The fact it is called Christmas shouldn't offend anyone, of any creed or race because it's just a name.

Thankfully Christmas has become an excuse for overindulgent spending on capitalist frivolities and less about spending time with the people that most of us can't stand for the 11 and a half months that make up the rest of year...
That said, for me I'll be working on all the holidays this year so I doubt that'll allow much time for anything.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

NWOrientDC10

Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:10 am

B.C. and A.D. are being replaced by B.C.E. - "before the common era" and A.C.E. - "after the common era". ...the common era, hmmmm....  Yeah sure whatever

Another politically correct term is womyn (as opposed to woman). I guess it's a feminist thing, I wouldn't know. This can be found on the Empire State Building's web site (a good web site) at www.esbnyc.com.

Good day to all  Smile

Russell
Things aren't always as they seem

csavel

Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:31 am

Never really cared if someone wished me Merry Christmas, even though I'm not Christian, I really can't see getting worked up over it.

Maybe if I was in a store an a person said instead of Merry Christmas, "May the Lord Jesus bless you and convert you on this Christmas season, you heathen Christ-killing Jew, and Happy new Year too!" - I may take offense.

I think stores say happy holidays in an effort not to offend *customers* While it may be PC, they are in business, and they can and should address *customers* however they please. Customers can and should take their business elsewhere if they are so offended.

One of the few things worse than Political Correctness is phony mercenary anti political correctness a la Bill O'Reilly cynically jumping on the let's show those PC people bandwagon so he can shill more books.

As if he really gives a shit.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

Pope

Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:33 am

On the Today show this AM, they reported that Nedow (the guy who is fighting on taking out "under God" in the pledge) is going to file suit this week seeking a court order removing IN GOD WE TRUST from all US currency.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

Doona

Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:58 am

Quoting NWOrientDC10 (Reply 35):
B.C. and A.D. are being replaced by B.C.E. - "before the common era" and A.C.E. - "after the common era". ...the common era, hmmmm.... whatever

What the hell (sorry, "bad place") is the "common era"? When exactly did this "era" occur? In between "before" and "after" doesn't really leave that much time for an era, does it? So the "common era" started at midnight on july 31st, and ended as soon as the next year began (instantly)?

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

Superfly

Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:02 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 37):
On the Today show this AM, they reported that Nedow (the guy who is fighting on taking out "under God" in the pledge) is going to file suit this week seeking a court order removing IN GOD WE TRUST from all US currency.

Big deal. It shouldn't have been put there in the first place. That hookline was inserted during the McCarthy era.
Bring back the Concorde

lazyshaun

Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:22 am

Quote:
1. Britain isn't Christian, it's secular. There is no national religion

True.

Quote:
2. Are you sure this isn't just your thinly veiled racism coming into play?

No. What is racism? Isn't everyone slightly racist to a degree? It is in mans nature to hate. No matter what anyone says, we're animals, and we fight. We fight most our own species. One day soon we will destroy ourselves, be it through war or global warming.

Quote:
3. France has always dismissed British multiculturalism, and instead opted for the integration approach you favour - look where they are.

Where?

Quote:
4. I suggest you go take some basic lessons in grammar. It seems slightly silly to complain about something so petty when something as fundamental as your writing skills aren't up to par.

True. I'm doing A level English, so that is rather bad, although I'm only 9 weeks into it.

SFOMEX

Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:44 am

Hard to believe, but it's true. A few nuts from Las Cruces, NM are suing the city to take the crosses away from the city seal. The issue here is that las cruces is Spanish for the crosses! I mean, how PC could you get. The crosses in the city seal are a symbol of the city's name, as any person with a little of common sense would easily realize. Yet, these SOB's say that "those crosses" offend them every time they look at the city seal.

Gimme a break!
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

redngold

Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:51 am

I've read most of the responses and this is how I feel:

Christmas has become a very secularized holiday and is ingrained in American culture through "Santa Claus," snowy reindeer scenes and other non-religious idealism. I'd hazard a guess that more than 50% of U.S., Canadian and Mexican citizens set aside the day for family gathering, a communal meal of some sort, and the exchange of at least small token gifts. The "Christmas" holiday has become very secularized and commercialized to the point that most celebrations do not reflect the holiday's origins.

If you choose not to celebrate Christmas, or if you're so not-Christian that you don't want to think about the Christian origins of the holiday, I think it should be easy enough to shrug off "Merry Christmas" as much as I might shrug off a greeting about a different religious holiday. You don't even have to say "thank you": why not just smile and nod knowingly? The greeting "Merry Christmas" is not an assumption of Christianity any more as it is passed around through advertising and cultural references, and is merely a seasonal reference.

I think it would be different only if you were in a Christian setting - a Christian book store, a church, etc. - where it would be reasonable that the greeting "Merry Christmas" is ascribed to a deeper religious tradition.

redngold

P.S. - With regard to my own beliefs: It doesn't matter to me so much that Christmas is celebrated on December 25; it's a symbolic date to celebrate the miracle birth of "our" Savior.
Up, up and away!

kiwiinoz

Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:57 am

The South East Asian countries seem to have a more sensible approach to this. Every religious, cultural event get's huge recognition, from Christmas, to Chinese new year, to Thaipusam, to Hari Raya Somethingorother. Everyone gets their turn and everyone takes a huge interest in how everyone else celebrates their particular festival.

I think too often we try and create a "melting pot" of culture and religion. This implies to me that the outward manifestations of each religion or culture are dumbed down so as not to make themselves obvious, and maybe in 50 years time, there will be no distinct culture. We'll all just belong to some amorphic boring blob? This isn't good. I want all of the religions/cultures to bear themselves proudly. Surely this will allow a greater level of education and acceptance? And it also gives everyone the chance to partake in feasting several times through the year!

mdsh00

Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:58 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 39):
Big deal. It shouldn't have been put there in the first place. That hookline was inserted during the McCarthy era.

Exactly, and only to make a statement agianst the USSR, just like putting "under God" in the pledge. The original reasons for inserting it are no longer there, so it might as well be removed because it's (IMO) an anachronism.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

solarix

Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:16 am

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 43):
The South East Asian countries seem to have a more sensible approach to this. Every religious, cultural event get's huge recognition, from Christmas, to Chinese new year, to Thaipusam, to Hari Raya Somethingorother. Everyone gets their turn and everyone takes a huge interest in how everyone else celebrates their particular festival.

Hey I'm all for that. The more holidays we get...the less I work...the better life is  Smile
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

Doona

Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:10 pm

PCness is just an invention of our governments, to create offence where none exists, so as to give the impression of doing something for cultural integration.

BTW, I don't believe in the Roman gods, so we have to change some of the month's names.

Cheers
Mats

DaddiesSecret

Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:56 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 27):
1. Britain isn't Christian, it's secular. There is no national religion.

Britain is NOT secular no matter what Blair pretends, the head of state is also head of the Church of England. In fact it is so un-f*cking-secular the head of state CANNOT be a Catholic (mind you seeing what the last two Catholic monarchs were like it's not surprising!). However, I'm not sure whether Muslims, Hindus, Jews etc... can be.

Britain is not Christian because most people in Britain are Agnostics or Atheists - I think there's a 5% church attendance rate. In fact I spent most of my University life trying to avoid some lunatic Africans who lived next door who seemed intent on acting like missionaries and converting me!

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 27):
France has always dismissed British multiculturalism, and instead opted for the integration approach you favour - look where they are.

Yeah, they have riots we have home grown suicide bombers - what's your point?

I just saw on Sky ..

I wouldn't believe anything on Fox-lite.

fumanchewd

Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:22 pm

I'm all for people celebrating religious holidays in whatever way they wish (especially pagan orgies). However, I commend any government attempting to remain secular. The establishment clause of the first amendment in the US constitution was indeed intended to prevent state sponsored religion. It's not really a big deal until you imagine if your were a jewish father trying to raise your family in Salt Lake City and the school board is allowed to preach their religion at the expense of your tax money.

That's just BS. People have the right to express their religious belief, but not to a captive audience (schools) or at the expense of public tax money. If people were able to preach to captive audiences on government property or with government funds, then satanists could have equal access to schools as well.

All of that needs to stay at home and your place of worship.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

fumanchewd

Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:26 pm

Quoting DaddiesSecret (Reply 47):
Britain is not Christian because most people in Britain are Agnostics or Atheists - I think there's a 5% church attendance rate.

Haha!! Just like Henry VIII, the English do what you have to do!

[Edited 2005-11-16 10:32:59]
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...