swisskloten

Did McLaren Want Prost Back?

Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:31 am

F1 a.netters, maybe you can shed some light on this. I saw a very vague reference on Jim Bamber's cartoon website. It shows a cartoon of Ron Dennis at his desk surrounded by frogs and says that he was stuck with Martin Brundle for 1994 when he wanted Alain Prost. Wait a minute. I thought Prost permanently quit because he was fed up with F1's draconian attitude towards him. Did Dennis ever approach Prost with an offer to drive for McLaren again in 1994? Or is this nothing more than a silly season rumor? I do recall Prost having test-driven a 1996 McLaren MP4 but nothing further than that.

bill142

RE: Did McLaren Want Prost Back?

Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:23 am

I believe it was Senna they wanted back. Senna had regrets about signing for Williams before he even moved, but back then people honored their contracts and he went to Williams. Ron Dennis knew he would get Senna back after his Williams contract ran out, but we all know what happened at Imola in 1994.

I'm not so sure about the Prost situation.