UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Windows Vista Beta 2 (Build 5219)

Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:03 pm

So :

1) Who has it
2) What do you think
3) How long can I use it before I have to reinstall (as it's an evaluation version)

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

gordonsmall

RE: Windows Vista Beta 2 (Build 5219)

Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:26 pm

1) I've had that build for quite a while now, early-mid september I think. I've got 2 PC's running it at the moment mainly for testing, but to be honest I don't expect to be rolling it out before 2008. I recieved shiny new DVD's from MS the other day which I'm led to believe contain the new 'developer-only' beta release - I'll be playing with that later this week.

2) It's pretty OK, but I've noticed as the beta's get closer and closer to release spec they are removing more and more of the 'new' features. For instance the fancy sidebar with the analog clock in the early beta's is gone from the lastest one.

One feature I really like is the scalable 'vector' icons. Icons thankfully are no longer bitmaps.

Another feature I like is the 'auxiliary display'. I saw some laptop mock-ups at an intel conference recently that had small LCD displays on the outside of the lids - these are apparently the 'auxiliary displays'.

Start menu is a lot better, uses sort-of sliding panes now instead of expanding menu's.

New logon authentication model is a lot better, more unix like.

They finally got rid of the silly 'My Computer' labels, it's now just called 'Computer' along with 'Documents' instead of 'My Documents' etc.

Best thing for an IT manager like me is the new installation routine, it no longer requires user input during the installation routine - just set it running and bugger off for 45 mins, come back and it'll be sitting at the login screen for you. No more messing around with unattended installation scripts!

A really big feature which has now been abandoned from the initial release is the new filesystem. WinFS was supposed to replace NTFS, and was more akin to a relational database than a filesystem. This will now be a seperate project and I've recently recieved a copy of the Beta 1 version of WinFS, with the realease of the production code due a little after the relaese of Vista. I'm told that the functionality of the much-hyped new search tool in Vista will be vastly reduced due to this.

3) Now that's a question - the very early Beta's were time restricted, but no-one found this out until the time was up. Later beta's were restricted also, but MS made no secret of this. The current beta's I'm running make no mention of being time-restricted, but that's not to say the aren't. Also, I was recently told that MS maintain two Beat streams, one for us developers which have no time restriction and another for 'the rest' which is time-restricted. I have no idea how true this is!
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

nighthawk

Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:12 pm

Quoting Gordonsmall (Reply 1):
2) It's pretty OK, but I've noticed as the beta's get closer and closer to release spec they are removing more and more of the 'new' features. For instance the fancy sidebar with the analog clock in the early beta's is gone from the lastest one.

Now thats beta testing at its best...if its broke...remove it! lol.

By the time its released it will be no different to XP!

FLYtoEGCC

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:59 pm

What about compatibility? Is there a great deal of difference between the way Vista and XP run?

Is it more of a Windows 95 - Windows 98 type upgrade, or a completely new OS as in Windows 98 - Windows XP?
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

gordonsmall

Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:03 am

Quoting FLYtoEGCC (Reply 3):
Is it more of a Windows 95 - Windows 98 type upgrade, or a completely new OS as in Windows 98 - Windows XP?

It's sort of a combination of both.

Some drivers were very patchy to start with (Nvidia drivers were notoriously bad) but most manufacturers have now released at least beta drivers to cure the problems.

Some hardware works fine straight out of the box.

Most software seems to be fine, unlike the switch from 98/ME to XP.

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:23 am

I am currently testing it on an hp zt3000 laptop, it works fine and every component bar the 56K modem (bwahahahaha) has been detected.

I have been running XP applications since this morning and so far nothing has failed *fingers crossed*.

However 10GB of space taken up by the OS is Rhaaaaaa.

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

nighthawk

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:22 am

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Reply 5):

eyepopping 

Is vista going to be able to run on 32 bit machines, or is it 64bit only?

JamieD

Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:56 am

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Reply 5):

That much? I'm dual-booting with Vista and it's about 5.6GB, including a few apps too.

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 6):

As far as I know, both 32 and 64 bit editions will be released.

gkirk

Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:38 am

Dodgy computing geeks...
 Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

rossbaku

Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:21 am

I got a copy of it and I have to say that it is nothing special. My mate currently is running it on his system which is on dual boot, although I suspect he too, is not a fan....

The only main differences I noticed is the icons, taskbar and wallpapers.

I will, however install it whenever it is on final release. Anything to be up-to-date!

RossBaku  Silly

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:06 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 6):

Running on a lowly 32-bit machine in my case  Silly

UTA  checkeredflag 

gordonsmall

Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:03 pm

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Reply 10):
Running on a lowly 32-bit machine in my case

That's the best bit of it at the moment! The 64-bit version is seriously unstable.

Incidentally the 64-bit version of Longhorn Server is actually pretty stable though - and i thought they were supposed to use the same code-base!  Silly

dan2002

Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:39 am

Quoting Gordonsmall (Reply 4):
Some drivers were very patchy to start with (Nvidia drivers were notoriously bad) but most manufacturers have now released at least beta drivers to cure the problems.

The Creative driver debacle was much worse. When I first installed Beta 1, I had no problems with the nvidia drivers. I havnt installed beta 2 yet, im waiting for my DVDs aswell.

Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.